• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 23-29, 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ccbfan said:
Hey hey don't accuse me of trolling.

I'm just pointing out contradictions.

You are comparing a mainline FF game that has always been on consoles to a franchise that previously never broke 600K on a console.

If you want to say MH isn't an absolute unqualified success because they haven't sold out the first shipment, fine. But to say it "didn't do very well" is just incorrect.

duckroll

schuelma said:
You are comparing a mainline FF game that has always been on consoles to a franchise that previously never broke 600K on a console.

If you want to say MH isn't an absolute unqualified success because they haven't sold out the first shipment, fine. But to say it "didn't do very well" is just incorrect.

No, he's right. MH3 is a failure. But don't worry, FFXIII will be too. :(

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
If Capcom thought MH3 did well, then so should you.

I dunno, I don't trust those suits. They're clearly covering up what is the biggest financial loss Capcom has suffered since Treasure Island Z. I bet Nintendo paid them to say those things in fact. You shouldn't trust your government, and you shouldn't trust Capcom.

ccbfan

schuelma said:

Oh please.

If MH3 was a PS2 game during the PS2 prime in the current state of popularity of the MH series with the marketing of MH3. It would destroy 1 million, heck it would probably be as big as a current mainline FF.

Now don't take me as saying MH3 should be on PS3 cause it'll probably do similar on the PS3 expect with higher budget and unusual assets for MHP3.

schuelma said:
That's true.

But you know, there's never that positive surprise when it comes to Wii 3rd party software sales. Normally popular consoles can make franchises do better than expected, it can cause surprise successes and the creation of new popular franchises, it can create cult hits, small titles to outperform expectations, ...

I know the Wii hasn't exactly gotten a fair treatment as a market leader to cultivate such successes, but still... there's never that positive surprise. To stay with MH3, even if it did respectable (it's the best selling 3rd party game on home consoles this generation right?), it still performed (a lot) less than initial expectations when the title was first announced, or when the final predictions a week before release were made. I've yet to see a title to catch everyone off guard and do significantly better than expected (something that happens way more often with NDS, PS3, PSP and even 360 software).

schuelma

ccbfan said:
Oh please.

If MH3 was a PS2 game during the PS2 prime in the current state of popularity of the MH series with the marketing of MH3. It would destroy 1 million, heck it would probably be as big as a current mainline FF. .

Maybe, I don't know. All I know is that when the franchise was originally announced on the Wii no one on this board thought it would sell anything close to a million copies.

To just assume it would sell 1.7 or 2 million on the PS2 as you seem to be doing strikes me as very presumptuous, especially given Capcom's internal expectations are 2 million shipped worldwide.

schuelma

Souldriver said:
it still performed (a lot) less than initial predictions when the title was announced, or when the final predictions a week before release were made. I

No, that is 100% wrong.

On your other point..true, there haven't been many huge surprise successes on Wii. I would argue that the first Taiko Wii did better than expected and so did Umbrella Chronicles, but I think its valid to say that the Wii hasn't created any new 3rd party franchises (in Japan that is).

Edit- what PS3 3rd party software has been a surprise hit and done significantly better than expectations?

wrowa

ccbfan said:
Oh please.

If MH3 was a PS2 game during the PS2 prime in the current state of popularity of the MH series with the marketing of MH3. It would destroy 1 million, heck it would probably be as big as a current mainline FF.

Now don't take me as saying MH3 should be on PS3 cause it'll probably do similar on the PS3 expect with higher budget and unusual assets for MHP3.
Oh please. Stop assuming stuff we can't possibly know. There's a good reason why everyone was hesitant to predict MH3's sales potential. And first and foremost that wasn't the platform it was released on (I'm not saying that this wasn't a factor too, though), it was the question whether or not the handheld success of the franchise can be transfered to a home console.

ccbfan

schuelma said:
Edit- what PS3 3rd party software has been a surprise hit and done significantly better than expectations?

Pretty much none.

TOV is pretty much the closest thing for a port selling that well compared to the original but then we are talking about the Xbox 360 in Japan here.

ccbfan

duckroll said:
ccbfan is a very funny poster, don't chase him away!

Woo a fan. I am about to leave soon though but I will be back on Monday but by then the topic will be near dead.

schuelma

ccbfan said:
Woo a fan. I am about to leave soon though but I will be back on Monday but by then the topic will be near dead.

The failure of the Wii with regards to third party software?

That discussion will never die!

KtSlime

Paracelsus said:
Eternal Sonata.

Hey, that's hardly fair to bring up, the only reason it didn't sell more on the PS3 was because:

Everyone and their mother knew the ending
It had TERRIBLE word of mouth
Everyone was still pissed it was on the 360
All the otaku were annoyed that they had to buy a 360 for the game
It was the first port from the 360 to PS3, and no one knew if other games would get the same treatment
It was only mediocre

Tmac

The only reasonable explanation for such ps3 numbers seems to be the upcoming FFXII release. We might see some pretty interesting numbers soon.

jrricky

Banned
duckroll said:
NSMBW - 420k
PSP2 - 202k
GvsGN+ - 170k
Tokimemo 4 - 28k
LBP - 2200
Sengoku Musou 3 - 81k
AC2 PS3 - 28k
AC2 360 - 21k
Power Pro Pocket 12 - 23k
Kaiju Busters - 10k
Yggdra Unision - 4700
Damn, LBP is so low (sold the least) that it doesnt even show up on the discussion radar...

DR2K

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Just like people had too high expectations for NSMB Wii, right? :lol

I never said it wouldn't sell well, just that if you were expecting NSMBds numbers you're setting the goal to high.

Dragona Akehi said:
Oh look someone else from ducky's strange universe. Is your sky blue? Or is it yellow?

Do dogs have two dicks?

You're lies can't hurt me. LoD was amazing.

test_account

XP-39C²
Has there been any Dengeki numbers this week?

Tmac said:
The only reasonable explanation for such ps3 numbers seems to be the upcoming FFXII release. We might see some pretty interesting numbers soon.
Yep, i also think that FFXIII is one of the bigger reasons for these PS3 numbers :) I also wonder how many people who have been waiting to buy a PS3 in general (not just mainly for FFXIII) because it costed too much, but now that the PS3 is more affordable, i wonder how many of these people who waited to buy a PS3 before that are buying a PS3 now.

EDIT: I added some text.

jman2050

I'll never understand how a by-the-numbers nobody RPG like Legend of Dragoon ended up causing such vitriolic reactions amongst JRPG enthusiasts in general.

DR2K

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Uh. NSMBWii first day numbers are virtually identical to NSMBDS first day numbers.

My lies are what?

I'm not surprised at that. My argument had to do with the legs of the game though.

The defamation of the glorious LoD. Why does Gaf hate it?

b33f

Paracelsus said:
This week some new scans surfaced with an artwork which shows aya and capel swapping outfits with reimi and edge, I doubt it means anything else than extra costumes. As for the characters, I'm pretty sure there's at least one new playable character, as the Japanese PS3 site has one more slot than the 360 one (13 vs 12 -12 including every playable character and the main NPC-).
:lol :lol

-The art was just something by the character designer for IU (he works for tri-Ace). It is basically an ad with a comment under the art where he says 'please look foward to SO:I!'
-IU is an MS IP anyway
-They've been rehasing the info and SO4 contents from the 360 version with every article
-No new dungeons have been announced at all
-Maybe Crowe will become a playable character, but they haven't said anything at all

This looks strictly to be a cash-in-on-the-PS3-port, nothing more. :lol

cvxfreak

Just visited one of my usual game shops.

The Wii is going to have a very nice holiday based on what I saw. NSMB Wii seems to have reawakened the Wii.

I felt odd buying a DSi LL when several people were buying Wii with NSMB Wii, SM3, Wii Fit Plus, Resort, etc. :lol

duckroll

cvxfreak said:

The Wii is going to have a very nice holiday based on what I saw. NSMB Wii seems to have reawakened the Wii.

I felt odd buying a DSi LL when several people were buying Wii with NSMB Wii, SM3, Wii Fit Plus, Resort, etc. :lol

Is PSP2 sold out yet?

schuelma

cvxfreak said:

Anyone buying MH Tri? I imagine the standalone is like 900 yen by now :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jman2050 said:
I'll never understand how a by-the-numbers nobody RPG like Legend of Dragoon ended up causing such vitriolic reactions amongst JRPG enthusiasts in general.
You know I decided to go look at the reviews for Legend of Dragoon and noticed something interesting.

Famous Places Of The Time:
Electronic Gaming Monthly: 55.00%
IGN: 70%
GameCritics: 50%
Game Informer: 90%
GameSpot: 64%
CCC: 60%

PlayStation Magazines:
OPM: 90%
Absolute PlayStation: 95%
PSX Nation: 97%
PSX Extreme: 98%

It seems Sony had decided to make it one of their majorly pushed titles. I assume the backlash came from the clash between Sony enthusiasts and JRPG fans.

----

More on topic, I'm glad PSP2 sold well. It seems they put a lot more effort into that sequel than I was expecting.

duckroll

The IGN review was rigged too. The reviewer even came forward to admit that the editor bumped up his score even though the text was mostly negative, because Sony was really pushing the game. :lol

Spiegel said:
The Naruto game for psp should do better than that

PS2 Naruto Shippuden Narutimate Accel - 75k/196k
PS2 Naruto Shippuden Narutimate Accel 2 - 94k/196k
PSP Naruto Shippuden Narutimate Accel 3 - ?
Naruto in general has been on a downward slope for years, though. 2007 (when both of those PS2 games released), 3 of the 4 released Naruto games passed 100K. None have since. The biggest Naruto opening week in 2008 was 18K, and 46K this year. So it is a maybe.
Dragona Akehi said:
It sold 450K LTD on the GameCube, with the "ridiculous" restrictions of requiring GBAs and LINKCABLES to play multiplayer, ie, the way the game was designed to be played.

So if we take that formula, put it on the Wii and add online multiplayer for instance... even if there is a need to use the DS as a controller (like the GBA was for the GC game), I think you'd see a much different reaction from the public.

But that's just me, what do I know?
First, I don't know if you're using another tracker or misremembering, but Famitsu has it at about 350K. Second, just being on a more popular and less-constrained system doesn't necessarily mean much--I thought those things would lead to the first DS game doing more than just slightly better than the original.
Stumpokapow said:
In general online+local co-op combos are only hard in games where the local game is split-screen. Split-screening in games takes an enormous amount of rendering and processing power which is why typically framerates suffer.
But that just sounds like a problem for local split-screen in general, rather than having anything to do with causing extra problem for online play?
Dragona Akehi said:
If you've been reading the M-C threads, you'll have seen that a few of us (including myself) have suggested that after the Wii's drop to Hell, and DQIX being the best selling third party game ever, even compared to multiple sku games, that S-E quietly is shuffling DQX back to DS.

Over four million sold to customers. On its first release.
I know you tend to have a pretty good eye for these things, but there seems a lot less reason for some switch now than there ever was for the moku train, and we know that didn't pan out. Wii hardware isn't selling what it used to? DS is a very strong platform for Dragon Quest? A new Dragon Quest sells in the ballpark of 4 million? None of these things are significantly changed from when the platform announcement was made a year ago.
gerg said:
I thought the PS3 had already seen a Yakuza release, and that it sold pretty well. If so, was there a hardware boost to accompany it?
It's seen two, and without looking back at the specifics I do remember using the term "Yakubump", so they must've done something.
Dragona Akehi said:
As for DQVII remake... it's just too soon.
Do you mean too soon following the quick pace for IV, V, IX, VI? Because the original will be ten years old next year.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Anecdotal evidence but absolutely true; out of the eight people I know who say they like Legend of Dragoon seven people are Sony fanboys or recovering Sony fanboys.

The eighth you ask? Lost his virginity to a girl he lent out the game to.

Legend of Dragoon is shit.

I could see a bit of franchise fatigue with three remakes of DQ and one new addition in just the past few years, but VII would be a nice swan song on the DS, of course the cart would cost an arm and a leg!

AniHawk

duckroll said:
The IGN review was rigged too. The reviewer even came forward to admit that the editor bumped up his score even though the text was mostly negative, because Sony was really pushing the game. :lol

Would it just be easier to destroy every video game publication and start over from scratch? We could use acid.

Top Bottom