• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 30-Dec 6, 2009

cvxfreak

schuelma said:
Hey he got a tag out of it!

On another note, how do you think ToG and FF13 are going to do compared to our expectations? Judging from your post from yesterday it looks like the ToG bundles aren't doing very well. I'm still undecided on FF13. Part of me thinks its going to do 1.5m first week, another part of me thinks it will do something like 1.2m.

I think ToG will perform better than ToS2, but worse than the combined Vesperia.

As for FFXIII, I cannot tell where above the 1 Million line it'll end up, if it does start there at all. The problem is that I feel FFXIII's marketing and push is not very exceptional. After the countless FF games we've seen over the years, such as Dissidia as well as SE's other major games, we're used to the type of stuff SE does. Game trailers, publish adverts, canned drinks, kiosks... it's all been done before. It's not like what we saw with NSMB Wii that had the game striking a chord with the people who see its ads. I think even MH3 had a bigger ad campaign, and we saw the limits of the MH franchise on consoles. It should do pretty well, but I see no indications as to how it'll be different from the previous FFs, which puts the PS3's position as the number two system instead of the frontrunner in the spotlight.

I'm not gonna rule out a performance similar to the PS2 games' debuts myself, but I wouldn't count a below 1 Million performance out either.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
I think ToG will perform better than ToS2, but worse than the combined Vesperia.

As for FFXIII, I cannot tell where above the 1 Million line it'll end up, if it does start there at all. The problem is that I feel FFXIII's marketing and push is not very exceptional. After the countless FF games we've seen over the years, such as Dissidia as well as SE's other major games, we're used to the type of stuff SE does. Game trailers, publish adverts, canned drinks, kiosks... it's all been done before. It's not like what we saw with NSMB Wii that had the game striking a chord with the people who see its ads. I think even MH3 had a bigger ad campaign, and we saw the limits of the MH franchise on consoles. It should do pretty well, but I see no indications as to how it'll be different from the previous FFs, which puts the PS3's position as the number two system instead of the frontrunner in the spotlight.

I'm not gonna rule out a performance similar to the PS2 games' debuts myself, but I wouldn't count a below 1 Million performance out either.

Thanks as always. Sorry if these questions get annoying..its your fault for always being so spot on!

t3nmilez

I'd say that the promotion for 13 is bigger than previous FF games from what I remember...they usually go all out for a new FF launch and 13 is definitely no exception. Start the hype early, have insane promotions, campaigns, constant ads running in game stores...ads in every other form of media, par for the course. FF launches can actually be annoying since you can't go to a single store that sells games and not be assaulted by the advertisements. It's been like that for as long as I remember, and I've seen my fare share of mainline launches.

If anything, integrating the Internet with promotion makes it even bigger, there are tons of online-specific promotions and tie-ins with popular websites. They're hitting everything that they can. I don't remember it being that big for FF12, but the Japanese internet scene wasn't as mature back then.

Hell, I remember when the original potion promotion for FF12 was such a big deal and people were going crazy trying to buy them, they were sold out in quite a few convenience stores for the first few days, but now that stuff is par for the course. Even that was an interesting jump over FFX's advertising which was your typical media blitz, it reached out to a new casual crowd and expanded the brand image to a whole new medium of beverages. SE keeps going bigger and bigger using whatever they can to advertise. It may not seem that big compared to other launches because they slowly ramp up, but it's definitely noticeable.

cvxfreak

To think that the difference between DS and Wii ultimately comes down to the DS Lite. :lol

Maybe Nintendo should take a page for Sony and the DS's book and re-release the Wii for once.

schuelma

Jesus at the DS family. Ridiculous.

Another 10K jump for PS3..maybe will be at 70-75K the week before FF13?

Great Wii numbers of course, and like I said earlier I think this week wraps it up for the Wii PS3 battle 2009 unless PS3 does like 200K+ in the weeks following FF13.

DS didn't do as well as I thought it would, Wii > DSiLL + DSi.

PS3 doing better than expected, Wii got a huge bump. The question is how much higher does the Wii rise next week.

Frillen

vicissitudes said:
DS didn't do as well as I thought it would, Wii > DSiLL + DSi.

PS3 doing better than expected, Wii got a huge bump. The question is how much higher does the Wii rise next week.

Probably not that much, if at all. The NSMBW and SW3 effect will wear off. Tales should sell some HWs though, and the seasonal boost should start to kick in. But enough to keep the Wii above 100k? We'll have to wait and see :)

cvxfreak

charlequin said:
Between 212k and 470k? I laughed.

Yup. I explained earlier why I show little interest in the prediction league, because predicting actual numbers is always so hard. I think Graces will at least be smack-dab in the middle, to clarify. :p

Frillen said:
Probably not that much, if at all. The NSMBW and SW3 effect will wear off. Tales should sell some HWs though, and the seasonal boost should start to kick in. But enough to keep the Wii above 100k? We'll have to wait and see :)

I think the Wii will be flat week over week. I think the two different forces you mentioned offset each other pretty nicely.

schuelma

Stopsign said:
I think the Wii will be flat week over week. I think the two different forces you mentioned offset each other pretty nicely.

I don't want to repeat myself since I elaborated earlier in the thread..but I think you're still going to see a rise. Right now I would guess 120-125K.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
cvxfreak said:
To think that the difference between DS and Wii ultimately comes down to the DS Lite. :lol

Maybe Nintendo should take a page for Sony and the DS's book and re-release the Wii for once.

I think they're trying to put off the whole DD tranfer nightmare which is sure to ensue.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hcoregamer00 said:
How does Phantasy Star Portable 2 compare to its predecessor?
Garaph hasn't updated yet, but here's PSP1:

snkj9k.png

It's doing a bit worse so far.

Frillen

schuelma said:
I don't want to repeat myself since I elaborated earlier in the thread..but I think you're still going to see a rise. Right now I would guess 120-125K.

Yeah, I think I have to follow your footsteps after further examinating the situation. First of all, the Wii had a pretty big boost last year during this week without any new releases. I also think NSMBW will have a good word to mouth, which might reach out to even more casuals who picks it up this week along with a Wii. Secondly, Tales will move more HW than SW3 did. That's pretty much a given.

So I think 110k+ is a given in next week's chart.

DR2K

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
You're no longer welcome in any Sales threads.

Didn't feel all that welcome to begin with. I guess I'll sit in my corner and watch how the pros predict.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Nirolak said:
Garaph hasn't updated yet, but here's PSP1:

snkj9k.png

It's doing a bit worse so far.

:(

Damn, I was hoping Phantasy Star Portable 2 would do better than its predecessor with all the great improvements.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hcoregamer00 said:
:(

Damn, I was hoping Phantasy Star Portable 2 would do better than its predecessor with all the great improvements.
If the game is really well made, there's a fair chance it will get nice legs based on good word of mouth and its co-op nature, despite the slower start.

Based on this week's Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 61.5 / 38.5 bring total shares to 68.3 / 31.7. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 214.5 weeks (January 16, 2014).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 8.4 / 91.6 bring total shares to 22.9 / 77.1. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 524.6 weeks (December 27, 2019).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 35.2 / 64.8 bring total shares to 30.8 / 69.2. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 85.4 weeks (July 27, 2011).

Week over week, DS continues riding high, NSMBW brings Wii up to meet it, PS3/PSP continue to ramp up, and nobody cares about PS2/X360.
X360

Through the first forty-nine weeks of the year, overall sales are down. However, the systems can be split into camps of 3 up and 3 down. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -43.3%
DS family: +6.3%
PS2: -55.8%
PS3: +55.7%
PSP family: -41.0%
X360: +22.1%

Home hardware: -19.3%
Portable hardware: -17.8%

Nintendo hardware: -15.4%
Sony hardware: -24.6%

Sum of all hardware: -18.4%

Last year:

This year:

DR2K

Banned
charlequin said:
Entirely intentional. If you want to say goofy shit and then refuse to admit when you were wrong, the NPD thread is thataway.

Oh no I'm pretty sure it was. But what I stated wasn't "goofy" at all. As I did have reasons for my predictions. It's just that whenever Wii's sales are under any kind of scrutiny, sirens go off and the some maniacal defense force kicks in. It's funny and sad at the same time to see so many grown people throw hissy fits over something so random and meaningless.

AniHawk

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Because he posted the same joke in two threads?

DSi LL 53,791
DSi 51,635
DS Lite 8,367

Looks like the DS price rise is here to stay.

God fucking dammit. Fuck Nintendo.

cvxfreak

DR2K said:
Oh no I'm pretty sure it was. But what I stated wasn't "goofy" at all. As I did have reasons for my predictions. It's just that whenever Wii's sales are under any kind of scrutiny, sirens go off and the some maniacal defense force kicks in. It's funny and sad at the same time to see so many grown people throw hissy fits over something so random and meaningless.

If I were you, I would stop posting in this thread, not because I disagree with what you say, but because YO ASS is about to get blown off the forum. :lol

MechaX

DR2K said:

Yeah, if I was you, I would definitely make a tactical retreat for the time being.

Speaking of which, when should we expect to see Graces numbers?

cvxfreak

MechaX said:
Yeah, if I was you, I would definitely make a tactical retreat for the time being.

Later today. I actually don't know what to expect.

I think it'll have a lower start than Phantasy Star Portable 2 if anything. :lol

schuelma

MechaX said:

We got 1st day numbers last week about 2 and half hours from now.

I hope we get the Famitsu top 30 soon as well.

schuelma said:

I'm thinking the same, due to Tales of Graces (bundles?) and continued legs of NSMB + holiday ramp-up. However, after that I don't think the Wii will rise to heaven like it did in 2007. I think it'll stay between 120k to 200k. So, December will end up somewhere between 2007 and 2008. Which, given its performance for most of the year, is kind of a miracle.

Lightning

Banned
cvxfreak said:

Think FFXIII would have faired better if it were multi platform in Japan as well?

I really hope it doesn't fail too badly.. that would be extremely depressing. Especially after the slim has, imo, performed quite well.

schuelma

vicissitudes said:
I'm thinking the same, due to Tales of Graces (bundles?) and continued legs of NSMB + holiday ramp-up. However, after that I don't think the Wii will rise to heaven like it did in 2007. I think it'll stay between 120k to 200k. So, December will end up somewhere between 2007 and 2008. Which, given its performance for most of the year, is kind of a miracle.

Yeah. Right now I don't think it will get to 2007 levels. But if next week it does say 150K then who knows.

Lightning said:
Think FFXIII would have faired better if it were multi platform in Japan as well?

I really hope it doesn't fail too badly.. that would be extremely depressing. Especially after the slim has, imo, performed quite well.

Nope. I think if you look at the multi-plat releases, the western games tend to have a better 360-PS3 ratio than the Japanese games. If FFXIII ends up bombing with maybe 1 million copies week 1, it would have done 200k-250k at most on the 360.

vicissitudes said:
Nope. I think if you look at the multi-plat releases, the western games tend to have a better 360-PS3 ratio than the Japanese games. If FFXIII ends up bombing with maybe 1 million copies week 1, it would have done 200k-250k at most on the 360.
Iiiii'd think selling a couple hundred thousand more would qualify as faring better. Unless all X360 owners are already PS3 owners and you'd just be allocating those 200K differently.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
*Busts outta the NPD thread.*

*Tries shutting the door, but too many people inside keep it from closing*

*Pushes until NPD thread door is finally shut*

*heavy breathing*Gosh....whatta nightmare.....in there. Anywho, I wanted to say I believe FFXIII should have very good first day...*collapases from exhaustion*

Brofist

JoshuaJSlone said:
Iiiii'd think selling a couple hundred thousand more would qualify as faring better. Unless all X360 owners are already PS3 owners and you'd just be allocating those 200K differently.
I have a hard time believing there are that many people who are interested enough to buy FFXIII in Japan and only own a 360.

Famitsu Final Fantasy series debut history:
Final Fantasy V - 476,000 (12/1992)
Final Fantasy VI - 1,209,992 (4/1994)
Final Fantasy VII - 2,034,879 (1/1997)
Final Fantasy VIII - 2,504,044 (2/1999)
Final Fantasy IX - 1,954,421 (7/2000)
Final Fantasy X - 1,749,737 (7/2001)
Final Fantasy XI Online - 63,958 (5/2002)
Final Fantasy X-2 - 1,472,914 (3/2003)
Final Fantasy XII - 1,840,397 (3/2006)

Final Fantasy XIII - 1,000,000?? (12/2009)

Sorry I dont have the earlier FFs. FAmitsu did cover all of them though.

Pureauthor said:
Somewhere, moku suddenly sneezes.
Woah. That takes me back. I remember a certain bandwagon he started of a... shall we say.... locomotive persuasion? I used to think that the Wii would get a spinoff of some sort, but history proved me wrong there. I did, however, start to believe that the main game would at least go multiplat to the 360 around that time.
AniHawk said:
God fucking dammit. Fuck Nintendo.
I know that deep in your heart you don't mean it, but this does set a bad precedent. Nintendo has effectively raised the price the public will expect to pay for a handheld (again).

AMoreHumbleSquare said:
Famitsu Final Fantasy series debut history:
Final Fantasy V - 476,000 (12/1992)
Final Fantasy VI - 1,209,992 (4/1994)
Final Fantasy VII - 2,034,879 (1/1997)
Final Fantasy VIII - 2,504,044 (2/1999)
Final Fantasy IX - 1,954,421 (7/2000)
Final Fantasy X - 1,749,737 (7/2001)
Final Fantasy XI Online - 63,958 (5/2002)
Final Fantasy X-2 - 1,472,914 (3/2003)
Final Fantasy XII - 1,840,397 (3/2006)

Final Fantasy XIII - 1,000,000?? (12/2009)

Sorry I dont have the earlier FFs. FAmitsu did cover all of them though.
I see FFXIII doing about 1,300,000 or thereabouts. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the neighbourhood of 1,500,000, however.

Nirolak said:
If the game is really well made, there's a fair chance it will get nice legs based on good word of mouth and its co-op nature, despite the slower start.

Pity that Sega still have some nasty bugs and issues in the Internet mode waiting to be fixed. This will probably hurt some legs.

Top Bottom