• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 30-Dec 6, 2009

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Hcoregamer00 said:
How does Phantasy Star Portable 2 compare to its predecessor?
287,000 first week vs 341,700 first week = bad!

Maybe a whole lot of people bought the download version?

duckroll

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I see FFXIII doing about 1,300,000 or thereabouts. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the neighbourhood of 1,500,000, however.

I don't think they're going to be able to ship much more than 1.2 million in the first week though.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
duckroll said:
I don't think they're going to be able to ship much more than 1.2 million in the first week though.

Why not?

duckroll

schuelma said:

I just don't see retailers ordering that many. Famitsu's estimates for the first shipments are usually pretty close because they have a lot more data on the ground than we do. If they're estimating 1.1 million as an initial shipment, I don't generally expect it to be much higher than that.

schuelma

duckroll said:
I just don't see retailers ordering that many. Famitsu's estimates for the first shipments are usually pretty close because they have a lot more data on the ground than we do. If they're estimating 1.1 million as an initial shipment, I don't generally expect it to be much higher than that.

Yeah that makes sense. Their shipment numbers seem to be pretty accurate.

duckroll said:
Seriously?

Day-um!

kay

schuelma said:
Yeah that makes sense. Their shipment numbers seem to be pretty accurate.
Accurate, you say?

[PS3-ToV]160k-230k 230k-330k Actual = 227k fw
[PS3-Bayonetta]80k-110k 110k-140k Actual = 138k fw/ 187k total
[PS3-WE2010]150k-190k 360k-460k Actual = 234k fw

Jonnyram

I think FFXIII could easily do 1.5M the first week.
But we'll see.
I see no reason for it to sell much less than FFX - the PS3 has a fair install base now, and this time of year usually has sales that compare favourably to July releases.

duckroll said:

Are you serious? They're shipping less than FFVI's initial numbers and that was 15 years ago!?

cvxfreak

Tales of Graces: 113,000 first day!

Compared to 120,000 for the first day of ToS2, 147,000 for PS3 Vesperia and 73,000 for 360 Vesperia.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
cvxfreak said:
Tales of Graces: 110,000 first day!

Compared to 120,000 for the first day of ToS2, 147,000 for PS3 Vesperia and 73,000 for 360 Vesperia.
So it actually sold less than Tales of Symphonia 2? o_O

botticus

cvxfreak said:
Tales of Graces: 110,000 first day!

So much for that. I'm struggling to figure out why it would be selling less than the previous game, but I guess I should have given up understanding the market a long time ago.

cvxfreak

Modern Warfare 2 [PS3]: 64,000
Modern Warfare 2 [360]: 42,000
Narutimate Ancel 3: 40,000
R-Type Tactics II: 2,600
WE 2010 Playmaker: 4,800 :lol :lol :lol

Luminous Arc 3: 20,000
The 9 Doors of the 9 People of 9 Hours (wtf): 15,000

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
WTF? ToG... :(

The 360 version of MW2 already beat my predictions, it'll probably be the only thing that does. :\

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
AMoreHumbleSquare said:
Famitsu Final Fantasy series debut history:
Final Fantasy V - 476,000 (12/1992)
Final Fantasy VI - 1,209,992 (4/1994)
Final Fantasy VII - 2,034,879 (1/1997)
Final Fantasy VIII - 2,504,044 (2/1999)
Final Fantasy IX - 1,954,421 (7/2000)
Final Fantasy X - 1,749,737 (7/2001)
Final Fantasy XI Online - 63,958 (5/2002)
Final Fantasy X-2 - 1,472,914 (3/2003)
Final Fantasy XII - 1,840,397 (3/2006)

Final Fantasy XIII - 1,000,000?? (12/2009)

Sorry I dont have the earlier FFs. FAmitsu did cover all of them though.

Final Fantasy XI really stands out from the crowd.

schuelma

Well, if ToG follows ToS:KoR's s weekend pattern its going to be a major major disappointment.

If its closer to say Tales of Versus it could still do ok.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
Well, if ToG follows ToS:KoR's s weekend pattern its going to be a major major disappointment.

If its closer to say Tales of Versus it could still do ok.
What would you say are the numbers needed for a "good" and for an "ok" performance out of curiosity? I'm not quite sure where to judge the cutoffs for Tales on the Wii.

kay

First day numbers
2009/11/05 360 - Winning Eleven 2010 4.8k
2009/12/10 Wii - Winning Eleven 2010 4.8k

OK, now things are starting continuing to look bad

Busaiku

That's definitely not a good start for Tales of Graces.
The franchise usually doesn't have great legs either, so that's a shame.

Luminous Arc is right in line with the other entries, so it'll probably end up around the same amount.

jj984jj

It's that text adventure from Chunsoft with character designs by Kinu Nishimura.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
It's that text adventure from Chunsoft with character designs by Kinu Nishimura.

It's not really by Chunsoft is it? It's in the newest game by the team who made Ever17, Never7, Remember11 and 12Riven?

jj984jj

duckroll said:
It's not really by Chunsoft is it? It's in the newest game by the team who made Ever17, Never7, Remember11 and 12Riven?
The writer and director is Kotaro Uchikoshi. I don't know if another developer was involved.

Takuhi

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
kay said:
First day numbers
2009/11/05 360 - Winning Eleven 2010 4.8k
2009/12/10 Wii - Winning Eleven 2010 4.8k

OK, now things are starting continuing to look bad
I don't know what you're talking about:

qxwfw2.png

It's only on track to be like... less than half the opening of last year... which was less than half the opening of the year before...

botticus said:
So much for that. I'm struggling to figure out why it would be selling less than the previous game, but I guess I should have given up understanding the market a long time ago.

Some possible reasons I can think of are that -

A: the Tales fanbase was maybe very trusting and/or enthusiastic of TOS2 considering it was a sequel to TOS and may have been slightly turned off on the idea of Tales on the Wii because of TOS2's quality compared to mainline Tales games. It also came out at a time when the market was seemingly much more booming for Wii.

B: Is it possible that maybe a certain percentage of broke Japanese gamers had a tough choice this week choosing between NSMBwii and TOG... this scenario is better because it would mean that TOG may have slightly longer legs than we are expecting based on some picking up the game at a later point.

C: RPG saturation? With FFXIII coming out so soon, maybe some gamers who own Wii and PS3 just don't feel like they have time for TOG right now and are saving their time and money for it's release.

Just throwing out some ideas.

Considering those numbers, except for SW3 (pumped up by CCpro and Wii bundles imo), all 3rd party games on Wii sold poorly or below expections (Graces).

Not a great result, seems like people buy just Nintendo products on Nintendo console, it doesn't matter if the system is far behind the market leader (N64 and GC) or is the market leader (Wii)

After the first year i thought Wii could have become the next SNES, with a strong line-up from both Nintendo and 3rd party developers... after the third year i could say : mission unaccomplished

Moor-Angol said:
Not a great result, seems like people buy just Nintendo products on Nintendo console, it doesn't matter if the system is far behind the market leader (N64 and GC) or is the market leader (Wii)

This could have something to do with the fact that nintendo's games are far superior to most other games on their platforms.

Nintendo make high quality games that appeal to a wide demographic, hence their games sell by the truckload.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AdventureRacing said:
This could have something to do with the fact that nintendo's games are far superior to most other games on their platforms.

Nintendo make high quality games that appeal to a wide demographic, hence their games sell by the truckload.
This doesn't explain the performance of Tales of Graces though.

The game is well made, it has a highly recognizable brand, and it was built from the ground up as a Wii exclusive. Namco even tried to build an audience for Tales games on the Wii with Tales of Symphonia 2, yet despite the larger userbase, Tales of Graces undersold its Day 1 sales.

It's not like there was a vast lack of marketing either, as the game even got console bundles along with Nintendo support to push the title.

There doesn't seem to be any immediately obvious reason why the game isn't doing well so far. Perhaps it will pick up a ton during the rest of the week, but if it doesn't, it does raise some serious questions about why it didn't do well.

Acosta

I swear I don't understand how Wii market works. First I really underestimate the sales of NSMB and its effect on hardware (I'm still curious about it's sales progression, but I never expected it to be so front loaded) but then the inital sales of ToG are just bad , Tales of Vesperia PS3 marked the absolute minimum and it´s below that.

It´s just weird.

AdventureRacing said:

despite new Mario, tell me the latest Nintendo games which sold like cakes in the last 12 months...

Winning Eleven 2008 sold over 100k LTD even if it was released 3 months after the other releases, and now it's dropped to 4,8k, the same result made by the version for a system which just surpassed 1 million..............

Tell me how many games sold more than 100k on Wii from September 2009 (many games has been released), and take a look about PS2 sales in the past.
Are these results in line for a market leader ?
No

onken

Acosta said:
I swear I don't understand how Wii market works. First I really underestimate the sales of NSMB and its effect on hardware (I'm still curious about it's sales progression, but I never expected it to be so front loaded)

Well we don't have any more numbers, so we don't know if it's front loaded at all.

but then the inital sales of ToG are just bad , Tales of Vesperia PS3 marked the absolute minimum and it´s below that.

It´s just weird.

No I imagine ToV 360 would be the low point (101k fw).

legend166

Moor-Angol said:
despite new Mario, tell me the latest Nintendo games which sold like cakes in the last 12 months...

Winning Eleven 2008 sold over 100k LTD even if it was released 3 months after the other releases, and now it's dropped to 4,8k, the same result made by the version for a system which just surpassed 1 million..............

Tell me how many games sold more than 100k on Wii from September 2009 (many games has been released), and take a look about PS2 sales in the past.
No

That's because it's not the market leader. It's in 3rd place.

Moor-Angol said:

No

I was simply talking about why Nintendo sells more software than 3rd parties on their consoles. How is any of what you posted relevant to that?

First day sales (sinobi)

[WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai) - 113,000
[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square-Enix) - 64,000
[360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square-Enix) - 42,000 (>60% sell-through)
[PSP] Naruto Shippuden Narutimate Accel 3 (Namco Bandai) - 40,000
[PSP] Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 21,000
[NDS] Luminous Arc (Marvelous) - 20,000
[NDS] Kyoukugen Dasshutsu 9 Jikan 9 nin 9 no Tobira: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (Spike) - 15,000
[PS2] Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 14,000
[PSP] Bleach Soul Carnival (SCEJ) - 7,400
[WII] Winning Eleven 2010 Playmaker (Konami) - 4,800
[PSP] R-Type Tactics II (Irem) - 2,600
[360] Samurai Spirits Sen (SNK Playmore) - 2,300
[WII] Fullmetal Alchemist: Daughter of the Dusk (Square-Enix) - 1,800
[WII] Toshinden (Takara Tomy) - 1,100
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki Set (Super Price Set) (Falcom) - 1,000
[NDS] Again: FBI Chou-Shinri Shousakan (Tecmo) - 900
[WII] Family Trainer 2 (Namco Bandai) - Uncountable

Anyone have first day/first week figures for recent Tales games? Just wondering whether it's possible we'll get a reasonable weekend performance out of ToG or if it's going to underperform DotNW.

EDIT:

Here's what I've got (courtesy of Garaph)

Tales of Vesperia (PS3) -- 227k (147k first day)
Tales of Versus (PSP) -- 153k
Tales of the World: RM2 (PSP) -- 210k
Tales of Hearts (DS) -- 141k (120k first day)
Tales of Vesperia (360) -- 101k (73k first day)
Tales of Symphonia: DotNW (Wii) -- 151k (120k first day)
Tales of Rebirth (PSP) -- 44k
Tales of Destiny: DC (PS2) -- 97k
Tales of Innocence (DS) -- 106k
Tales of Destiny 2 (PSP) -- 65k
Tales of the World: RM (PSP) -- 127k
Tales of Destiny (PS2) -- 256k
Tales of the Abyss (PS2) -- 368k (280k first day)

Top Bottom