• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Numbers: 1/10-1/16: PSP > DS

Floyd

Better get over it because this will become the norm. Not that im some kind of corporate clinging freak that tries to use external products to elevate myself above other freaks that do the same. Just that it was obvious.

Both products have a future though so no need to get all hot and bothered about it.

Hero

CVXFREAK said:
Media Create Software Sales: 10 - 16 Jan
platform title publisher this week total
1 GBA Mario Party Advance Nintendo 67,927 new
2 PS2 Gran Turismo 4 SCE 63,584 843,340
3 PS2 Gikei Eiyuden From Software 41,927 new
4 DS Sawaru Made in Wario Nintendo 33,537 575,069
5 PS2 Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special Square Enix 25,264 299,989
6 PS2 Dragon Quest VIII: Sora to Umi to Daichi to Norowareshi Himegimi Square Enix 23,858 3,235,861
7 DS Super Mario 64 DS Nintendo 22,671 593,831
8 PSP Minna no GOLF Portable SCE 18,682 N/A
9 PS2 METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SNAKE EATER Konami 18,166 790,518
10 PSP Shin Sangoku Musou Koei 17,070 N/A

Media Create Hardware Sales: 10 - 16 Jan
platform this week last week 2005 total
1 PlayStation 2 65,837 124,401 189,238
2 PSP 64,602 62,052 126,654
3 Nintendo DS 53,527 108,561 162,088
4 GameBoy Advance SP 18,289 70,851 89,140
5 GameCube 7,475 19,703 27,178
6 Gameboy Advance 588 1,719 2,307
7 Xbox 506 1,179 1,685

Interesting in how the DS software (or at least of the top 10 list) is still outselling the PSP's software.

Tabris

soundwave05 said:
I think DS will be able to outsell the PSP like say the week or two around Pokemon's release. And probably a jump in sales when Jump Superstars comes out (pun intended). Stuff like that.

But PSP should regularily be the no.1 handheld week to week in Japan, which is pretty significant since nothing has really challenged Nintendo over there since ... well since 1989 when the Game Boy came out (wowza).

With DS + GBA SP though, Nintendo still sells more handheld hardware overall.

and with the PSP, for the first time ever, Sony is the true hardware king. PSP + PS2 = 130k. GC + GBA + DS + GBASP = 80k ...getting close to double.

Tabris

Hero said:
Interesting in how the DS software (or at least of the top 10 list) is still outselling the PSP's software.

Damage control much? Consumers must just be buying PSP to play DVDs...oh wait.

Insertia

Playstation 2+PSP=130,439

Nintendo DS+GBA:SP+GBA+Gamecube=79,879

PSP just 6000 shy of besting the combined sales of GBA&DS.

1068114469.jpg

Dark Dragon said:
:lol :lol THERE ISN'T ENOUGH FUCKING POPCORN IN THE WORLD FOR THIS THREAD :lol :lol

What was that Val Kilmer movie about the college genius' and the experiment where the blow up a ton of popcorn in the dean's house?

koam

Hero said:

Wow, I just noticed, both mario and wario are quickly approaching the million mark, not bad for a handheld that just entered the market.

As for the PSP, there's a smaller install base so far, obviously the games will sell less for now. Besides, there's no PSP game out yet that is as popular as mario or wario, wait until GT4 comes out :p

My bet is that PSP will win next week and the week after, the DS will win (Yoshi).

Is this the first week EVER that Nintendo isn't the #1 handheld in Japan? Maybe Gamegear beat them but i'm not sure.

The GCN is just pathetic in Japan, outside of the late Dec/early Jan. sales push that it gets once a year, its always struggling. At least its not XBox, but I doubt that's much condolence to Nintendo.

Jonnyram

Tabris said:
Damage control much? Consumers must just be buying PSP to play DVDs...oh wait.
Apparently you haven't heard you can stick photos, music and movies on a memory stick and play them on your PSP. The first four news pages of this week's Famitsu are devoted to how to rip MP3s and put them on memory stick to play on your PSP (yes, the mind boggles).

Soul4ger

soundwave05 said:
What was that Val Kilmer movie about the college genius' and the experiment where the blow up a ton of popcorn in the dean's house?

Real Genius. A true classic.

"I drank what?"

Tabris

PSP_1_small.jpg

Ok, ok, I'm having way too much fun with this.

Jonnyram said:
Apparently you haven't heard you can stick photos, music and movies on a memory stick and play them on your PSP. The first four news pages of this week's Famitsu are devoted to how to rip MP3s and put them on memory stick to play on your PSP (yes, the mind boggles).

I was just being sarcastic. I was referencing how Dreamcast and Nintendo fans were constantly just saying PS2 sales were just for a dvd player.

Pimpwerx

neo2046 said:
........... :(

it is not good even if PSP sale = NDS sale in the long run
this only mean Sony has steal 50% of Nintendo's handheld market share

1) Nintendo needs to push the release day of Nintendogs earlier as possible as they can
2) Nintendo needs to release more color models of Nintendo DS
Dude....if that's all they could hope for Nintendogs and colors (and fortunately, it's not), then they'd be fucking doomed. :lol PEACE.

neptunes

Anyone think DQ8 will break 4 million within the next 1-2 years?

S-E will be rolling in cash for years to come (KH, FF, DQ, FF11)

EDIT: How much is their net worth now?

Honestly the real issue with the DS is the price.

When Sony priced the PSP at the low price, the DS is no longer compartively worth what Nintendo is asking for it.

That and the fact that the software for the machine isn't really that great. There isn't one game that uses the touchscreen in any great fashion, the best overall game is Super Mario 64, which is 8 years old.

Dead

well not really...yet
Beautiful. hopefully the gap widens when production ramps up even more.

1) Nintendo needs to push the release day of Nintendogs earlier as possible as they can
hahahaha. :lol

Speevy

Banned
PSP fanboys are seriously the lowest form of gamer I've ever seen.

The handheld itself is awesome, but man you guys are nuts.

DS sells twice the PSP: Give it time.
One tracking service has a PSP win, other one doesn't: Nintendo is screwed!
Xbox outsells the PS2 in the US: Shortage!
DS outsells the PSP: Shortage!

jiggle

Miburou said:
Well, the DS has close to 3 times the userbase of the PSP...

There's no spinning this imo. Even if PSP userbase matches or surpasses DS, Nintendo games will still sell better alot of the times.

Tabris

jiggle said:
There's no spinning this imo. Even if PSP userbase matches or surpasses DS, Nintendo games will still sell better alot of the times.

Just wait a couple years, the handheld market will eventually look like this...

...oh wait, I was going to copy and paste PS2 and GC titles from that top 10 and just realized there's no GC titles on that list.

Amir0x

Banned
Speevy said:
**PSP fanboys are seriously the lowest form of gamer I've ever seen.**

The handheld itself is awesome, but man you guys are nuts.

DS sells twice the PSP: Give it time.
One tracking service has a PSP win, other one doesn't: Nintendo is screwed!
Xbox outsells the PS2 in the US: Shortage!
DS outsells the PSP: Shortage!

1. The underlined issue does not fit in with the "PSP fanboy" part!
2. The bolded issue can be applied to both fanboy camps!
3. The star statement can be applied to any camp!
4. The underlined and bolded statement is based on truth, because there WAS a massive PSP shortage, whereas there WASN'T one on the same level for DS!

<3 Amir0x

Hero

It is interesting that if you take the sales for Mario and Wario for the DS, the sum is about in line with a 1:1 ratio for DS sales. However, the PSP's numbers to the top two software sellers is rather wide.

At least with the DS, it's hard to guage since many people could just be buying it to play GBA games still. But it seems that in fact some people are just buying PSP for the great value that it is as a portable MP3 player and what not.

koam

What the DS needs, is Mario Kart and fast.

What the PSP needs, is GT4 and fast.

What we need, is money and fast.

Speevy

Banned
No, PSP fanboys refuse to acknowledge the DS' existence, like its some abomination to gaming. And they go around on this very forum treating anyone who might be interested in it like dogs.

Pimpwerx

LOL! I was told I was crazy for saying the GBA was pretty much dead. Well...It's Over. :lol See ya in hell, GBA. Hopefully the denial is over. There's no third pillar, it's DS and PSP. What happens again when Sony starts stealing huge chunks of revenue from Nintendo again? 90% to 50% is a big drop...assuming it doesn't go lower than that. I'm gonna stop now, b/c there's a whole year's worth of crownage to dole out. :lol I'm still hoping for the US launch to be really suprising. But Nintendo's got time right now. I expect them to get something big ready for the US soon. PEACE.

Speevy

Banned
Luscious LeftFoot said:
But aren't you a mod @ teamxbox forums?

Fanboys in general are pretty low in my book. But I've never seen such a surge of hate. This makes the early frothing Xbox fanboy look like an intellectual.

Dead

well not really...yet
Speevy said:
No, PSP fanboys refuse to acknowledge the DS' existence, like its some abomination to gaming. And they go around on this very forum treating anyone who might be interested in it like dogs.
nintendogs_02.jpg

Speevy

Banned
border said:
Aren't these 5 page arugment threads pretty good evidence that the DS's existence is acknowledged?

In sales numbers maybe, but not much as an actual device for playing games.

Miburou

Hero said:
It is interesting that if you take the sales for Mario and Wario for the DS, the sum is about in line with a 1:1 ratio for DS sales. However, the PSP's numbers to the top two software sellers is rather wide.

Actually, I think the combined sales of Mingol and Dynasty Warriors is close to 400K, and the ratio of that to the PSP's userbase (510K) is similar to Mario and Wario's combined sales (1.2M) compared to the DS's userbase figure (1.4M).

Monk

Banned
Hero said:
At least with the DS, it's hard to guage since many people could just be buying it to play GBA games still. But it seems that in fact some people are just buying PSP for the great value that it is as a portable MP3 player and what not.

This is true though. It makes an excellent MP3 player. The true test will be when the non hardcore consumers buy it. It is still being sold to the hardcore currently. Will regular consumers think about the mp3 capabilities when they buy it?

Top Bottom