• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Oct 5-11, 2009

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
JoshuaJSlone said:
Weell, they're certainly up there. But to put some perspective on things, it would take IE2 performing pretty amazingly for the entirety of Level Five's output to match Dragon Quest IX before the release of Layton 4.
I'm sure if Akihiro Hino was president of S-E and said DQIX would reach 5m, it wouldn't still be struggling to reach 4m.

Than again if Hino was president of S-E he probably wouldn't be expecting DQIX to not only greatly outperform every other installment in the franchise, but every single 3rd party game ever released. All while letting every other franchise/new IP the company puts on the system underperform or barely perform satisfactorily, and not capitalizing on the only exception (FFIII).

The above is incredibly hyperbolic, don't take it seriously. :p

There's no denying that Level 5's efforts on the DS has been paying off for them big-time though.

Aside from maybe Atamania, not sure what they're going for there.

Acosta

I'm sure there is no second shipment so Atlus can justify including a date sim in every Shin Megami related game from now on.

Uncharted 2 from 47k to 55k
Okami from 19k to 25k

Come on with the shitty weekend growths...SMT SJ all over again. Funny WII/PS3 one-eyed-in-blind-land bitchslap though.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
faridmon said:
i want to see how well will that portable hold up against the DSi

anyone knows if Famitsu or Media-create will combine the PSPgo with PSP3000 or will they count it separately?
Are you sure you want to see this? 99% it will be tracked seperately.

test_account

XP-39C²
DMeisterJ said:
:eek: That's really good. U2 almost outsold it week one! It'll putter off to 100k probably and another couple thousand from the 'Best'. That's nice.
Pretty good indeed :) And even if Uncharted 2 should end up selling only about 5k from now, it will still match about Uncharted 1 sold with a best re-release. Not every sequels ends up selling just as much as the first game, even if there is a bigger installbase when the sequel gets released, so i guess that this might be looked as an accomplishment on it's own.

I also wonder if Uncharted 2 will have some small legs. Since Uncharted 1 BEST re-release was recently released, i wonder how many people who are satisfied with one Uncharted game for now, but that might be interested in buying Uncharted 2 some time in the future. I dont think that there will be any huge boost in sales though, but i think it shall be interesting to see how much Uncharted 2 will sell in total at least :)

Frillen said:
Pretty bad compared to first day figures though.
Jokeropia said:
I think what he was going for is that selling 47k day one and then an average of 2.67k the three following days suggests a very frontloaded title. It's still a good number looking at the shipment and the sales of the original, but not as good as the first day number suggested.
I quote 2 quotes together here because my question is the same to both quotes. Uncharted 2 did indeed have a less increase compared to what many other games does and Uncharted 2 seems to have been a very front loaded title indeed as you say, that is true, but come to think of it, how much does western games usually increase from first day to first week? If i am not mistaken, Uncharted 1 increased about 8k from the first day to the first week's sales. Uncharted 2 also increased about 8k. How does an 8k increase from first day to first week's sales compares to other western titles that are released in Japan? I havnt really thought about how the western games increases from first day sales to first week's sales before, so i got curious about this :)

EDIT: I added some text.

test_account

XP-39C²
Pureauthor said:
What's Undead Knights, anyway?

Also, poor SJ.
Undead Knights seems to be some sort of hack n' slash type of game. I found a gameplay video clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7mboQP12z8

DangerousDave said:
Yep, it seems that western games in Japan are mostly bought on day one indeed as you say. GTA 4 and Uncharted 1 has had some smaller legs after they got re-released and Call of Duty 4 has also had some smaller legs in Japan if i am not mistaken. Maybe the release of the PS3 Slim and the PS3 pricedrop are some reasons why some people have been buying these games lately, that several of people are buying a PS3 for the first time now and these are the games that several of people buys with their new PS3 console. But these games might be more of an exception from the rule compared to what is common when it comes to how western games usually sells in Japan though.

I checked up on how much Gears of War 2 increased from first day sales to first week sales by the way, and the increase was about 11.7k. It is a bit better than what Uncharted 2 did (which had an 8k increase), but it isnt really that big of a difference, at least in my opinion. I dont think that we got first day numbers for Halo 3: ODST, so unfortunately i dont know how much that game increased from first day sales to first week sales.

test_account

XP-39C²
bttb said:
PSPgo launches in Japan on Nov. 1st. Sinobi notes a first shipment of around 150k.

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10369119141.html
Wow, 150k first shipment of PSP Go in Japan? That seems like a risk to ship that many to begin with. What happends if very few buys the PSP Go, even if the price is dropped fast? I guess that Sony arent very depended on that the PSP Go will be successful though. I mean, the PSP-3000 will probaby still sell decent, so even if PSP Go fails, Sony will still have the PSP-3000. But still, what happends if for example 100k PSP Go systems remains unsold (even with a pricedrop)? I guess that Sony will lose some money on this.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Media Create Sales: Oct 12-18, 2009

01. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 165.000 / 2.638.000
02. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 118.000 / 610.000
03. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 63.000 / 1.414.000
04. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5) - 60.000 / 437.000
05. [PS3] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (SCE) - 54.000 / 54.000
06. [WII] Okami (Capcom) - 24.000 / 24.000
07. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 23.000 / 1.299.000
08. [PSP] Gran Turismo: The Real Driving Simulation (SCE) - 22.000 / 196.000
09. [NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Atlus Co.) - 20.000 / 117.000
10. [NDS] Love Plus (Konami) - 19.000 / 141.000
11. [PS2] BeatMania IIDX 16: Empress + Premium Best (Konami)
12. [PSP] Undead Knights (Tecmo)
13. [PSP] Fullmetal Alchemist: Senaka wo Takuseshi Mono (Namco Bandai)
14. [360] Steins; Gate (5pb.)
15. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix)
16. [PSP] Macross: Ultimate Frontier (Namco Bandai)
17. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Portable 4 (Konami)
18. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best) (Capcom)
19. [PS3] Tales of Vesperia (Namco Bandai
20. [PSP] Everybody's Cleaner (SCE)
21. [NDS] Kimi ni Todoke: Sodateru Omoi (Namco Bandai)
22. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce Special (Koei)
23. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Legendary Hits) (Activision)
24. [PS3] UFC 2009 Undisputed (Yukes)
25. [PS3] Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (Tecmo)
26. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom)
27. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
28. [NDS] Blue Dragon: Giants of the Spirit World (Namco Bandai)
29. [PS3] Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Playstation 3 the Best) (SCE)
30. [NDS] SaGa 2: Legendary Secret Treasure - Goddess of Destiny (Square Enix)

Jonnyram

hirokazu said:
:lol

PSP go is bomba everywhere, and for good reason.
If Capcom puts either of the MH games on there, they will easy sell that 150k. As it stands though, no MH games are currently available as downloads. I think the lack of third party support is really going to kill this, and Sony needs to make some strong efforts to rectify the situation.

AFreak

Banned
What is the best selling Western developed game in Japan anyway? Has one ever gotten to a million or even 500k?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Donkey Kong Country was western developed.
[SFC] Donkey Kong Country (Nintendo) - 3.000.000
[SFC] Donkey Kong Country 2 (Nintendo) - 2.210.000
[SFC] Donkey Kong Country 3 (Nintendo) - 1.770.000

Shipment numbers

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
If Capcom puts either of the MH games on there, they will easy sell that 150k. As it stands though, no MH games are currently available as downloads. I think the lack of third party support is really going to kill this, and Sony needs to make some strong efforts to rectify the situation.

They can always download the NA version. :lol

duckroll

Chris1964 said:
Donkey Kong Country was western developed.
[SFC] Donkey Kong Country (Nintendo) - 3.000.000
[SFC] Donkey Kong Country 2 (Nintendo) - 2.210.000
[SFC] Donkey Kong Country 3 (Nintendo) - 1.770.000

Shipment numbers

Looking at the numbers, it's obvious people started bailing out as they discovered the terrible white secret behind the games.

Jonnyram

AFreak said:
What is the best selling Western developed game in Japan anyway? Has one ever gotten to a million or even 500k?
Pretty sure 1 or 2 of the Crash Bandicoot games on PS1 got there.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
[PS] Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (SCE) - 294.718 / 917.105
[PS] Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (SCE) - 172.253 / 894.355
[PS] Crash Bandicoot (SCE) - 57.393 / 663.972
[PS] Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (Playstation 2 the Best) (SCE) - 5.690 / 205.353

Maybe I'm missing some other budget re-releases that charted.

onken

With EoE being plonked in January, this gives the PS3 a major title every month for the next 6 months:

Nov: Pro Evo
Dec: FF13
Jan: EoE
Feb: SO4i
March: GT5
April: RGG4 (presumably)

Will be very interesting to see average hw sales over this period.

e~ also EoE will be the first time PS3/360 will go head-to-head on a major JRPG (pretty sad state of affairs)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
These are all Rare games for N64 listed by LTD.

[N64] Donkey Kong 64 (Nintendo) - 53.428 / 852.846
[N64] Diddy Kong Racing (Nintendo) - 65.148 / 653.928
[N64] Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo) - 43.396 / 405.944
[N64] Banjo-Tooie (Nintendo) - 45.871 / 194.173
[N64] Perfect Dark (Nintendo) - 34.912 / 95.071
[N64] Blast Corps (Nintendo) - 30.094 / 82.947
[N64] GoldenEye 007 (Nintendo) - 12.109 / 29.264
[N64] Jet Force Gemini (Nintendo) - 12.037 / -
[N64] Conker's Bad Fur Day (Nintendo) - didn't chart

How the mighty has fallen...

onken

Chris1964 said:
These are all Rare games for N64 listed by LTD.

[N64] Donkey Kong 64 (Nintendo) - 53.428 / 852.846
[N64] Diddy Kong Racing (Nintendo) - 65.148 / 653.928
[N64] Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo) - 43.396 / 405.944
[N64] Banjo-Tooie (Nintendo) - 45.871 / 194.173
[N64] Perfect Dark (Nintendo) - 34.912 / 95.071
[N64] Blast Corps (Nintendo) - 30.094 / 82.947
[N64] GoldenEye 007 (Nintendo) - 12.109 / 29.264
[N64] Jet Force Gemini (Nintendo) - 12.037 / -
[N64] Conker's Bad Fur Day (Nintendo) - didn't chart

How the mighty has fallen...

Wow GoldenEye didn't even hit 30k lt, criminal.

test_account

XP-39C²
duckroll said:
Looking at the numbers, it's obvious people started bailing out as they discovered the terrible white secret behind the games.
Hehe ye, it almost look that that :)

AFreak said:
The first Ratchet & Clank game sold 538,029 in Japan. I read (in the previous Media Create thread i think?) that it was bundled with a PS2, so that is probably one reason why it sold that much. The next 3 Ratchet & Clank games did all sell over 200k, but unfortunately i dont know if these games were bundles with a PS2 as well. The Ratchet & Clank serie has dropped quite a bit in interest/sales as well. The latest R&C game (Ratchet & Clank 5 for the PSP) only sold 27,709. I wonder what Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time for the PS3 will sell, if it gets released in Japan.

Serenity

onken said:
Yeah they've updated a day early, which is strange.

Nice, so i was the first to get the scoop:D

PsP sales aren't looking to healthy still better than home consoles but rather "meh"

onken

M-create October 12 - 19 Top 10

1 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Nintendo) - 164,721
2 [WII] Wii Fit+ (Nintendo) - 118,167
3 [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 63,086
4 [NDS] Izuna Eleven 2 (Level 5) - 60,580
5 [PS3] Uncharted 2 (SCE) - 53,827
6 [WII] Okami (Capcom) - 23,810
7 [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 22,808
8 [PSP] Gran Turismo Portable (SCE) - 22,027
9 [NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Atlas) - 19,642
10 [NDS] Love Plus (Konami) - 19,561

DSi - 49,145
PSP - 33,508
PS3 - 30,231
Wii - 29,965
X360 - 3,662
DSL - 2,590
PS2 - 2,109

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

gogogow

ksamedi said:
The PS3 Wii battle is pretty interesting. The PS3 may have found its new baseline until well into next year.
There are no new releases for the PS3 next week. Should be a good (early) test for the PS3 HW sales/baseline.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Wth... I expect SJ to be much lower on MC this week. It's still below EOII though.

The funny thing is, when we're looking at any sort of numbers where changes in just a few thousand units mean a significant number of places, it can fluctuate quite wildly between trackers because of the estimation.Ultimately it just reminds us how insignificant the sales figures are ultimately compared to titles which actually sell enough to matter. :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
gogogow said:
There are no new releases for the PS3 next week. Should be a good (early) test for the PS3 HW sales/baseline.

I think this is the baseline. There have not been many new releases the past few weeks and the PS3 hardly dropped, just 600 Week over week...

gogogow

DMeisterJ said:
I think this is the baseline. There have not been many new releases the past few weeks and the PS3 hardly dropped, just 600 Week over week...

Last week there was nothing but White Knight EX edition and the PS3 dropped 6000+ in sales.
I think UC2 kept it from dropping (more) for this week's chart. But NO releases should be a better test.
But I agree, the PS3 is hanging in there even with no "major" releases for the Japanese audience.

duckroll

Should we really be talking about a "baseline" so soon after the launch of the PS3 Slim? I think we won't really know for sure what the baseline is until a few months later, say post Feb or so.

gogogow

duckroll said:
Should we really be talking about a "baseline" so soon after the launch of the PS3 Slim? I think we won't really know for sure what the baseline is until a few months later, say post Feb or so.
I agree that we should talk about the baseline post-holiday season, but next week should be an early test for the PS3.

Post feb we are seeing a lot of high-profile PS3 games, so HW should definitely get a bump and we won't see any baseline either.

duckroll

gogogow said:
I agree that we should talk about the baseline post-holiday season, but next week should be an early test for the PS3.

Post feb we are seeing a lot of high-profile PS3 games, so HW should definitely get a bump and we won't see any baseline either.

Well the reason why I don't think it's a test is because if it drops now, it doesn't mean the baseline won't prove to actually be higher after the holiday season with more options. And if it doesn't drop now, it doesn't really mean that it won't drop lower next year either. It's really early to make any sort of judgement.

As far as post-feb goes, what exactly is coming out in Japan? There's GT5 in March, and...? I guess I should have said "after March", but yeah I generally mean after the currently announced big hitters are all out in early 2010, and there's the expected dead period for almost all systems, then we'll be able to see what sort of baseline it will settle on.

Jonnyram

FFXIII could seriously help PS3 stay above Wii during the holiday season. That would be hilarious on so many levels.

duckroll, after GT, there's always Trico! Maybe this one will actually sell :O And Yakuza 4, of course. That should be reasonably popular.

onken

duckroll said:
As far as post-feb goes, what exactly is coming out in Japan? There's GT5 in March, and...? I guess I should have said "after March", but yeah I generally mean after the currently announced big hitters are all out in early 2010, and there's the expected dead period for almost all systems, then we'll be able to see what sort of baseline it will settle on.

RGG4. Though yeah, I agree with your wider point.

e~ also RE5 waggle edition is coming out around then, but I doubt it's going to sell gangbusters or anything.

gogogow

Jonnyram said:
duckroll, after GT, there's always Trico! Maybe this one will actually sell :O And Yakuza 4, of course. That should be reasonably popular.
Exactly the games I was thinking about. Is it also possible to see Hokuto Musou getting a release around March/April?

gkryhewy

Jonnyram said:
If Capcom puts either of the MH games on there, they will easy sell that 150k.

How do you mean? Unless there were exclusive content of some sort, why wouldn't people just buy a standard PSP and UMDs -- particularly with Japan's active used game market?

This should be a very nice holiday for both Wii and PS3.

Top Bottom