• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales, PS3 special!

Fady K

Less than a 100k for the entire country. Very few launch games. Very expensive machine.

With these in mind, i dont see how anyone can be so surprised about these figures.

Oh but its a gundam game! Oh its Ridge Racer!!

The system just came out, and it has a bad start. God knows what happens later, but surely, i wasnt surprised at these figures.

VultureDude said:
i guess they wanted a cheap blue-ray player..

are there a lot of anime and japanese movies out on blu ray right now? or are they buying it for "potential"?

seriously, so many were sold without games. and this assumes that there was one game bought per console. the more multi-game purchases there were, the more no-game purchases as well. so that % of consoles bought with no games could be even higher

Link

The Autumn Wind
J-Rzez said:
Resistance = Highest selling FPS ever in Japan? (outside of Metroid?)
Nah, Perfect Dark ended up over 100k, if I remember right. I think some of the MoH games did ok over there too.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Fady K said:
The system just came out, and it has a bad start. God knows what happens later, but surely, i wasnt surprised at these figures.

it was going to have a bad start no matter what happened

darkks85

Banned
DCharlie said:
wow - is the X360 version of Ridge about to lose its title as the worst selling in the series?

Yeah because these games won't sell any more copies ever again. They could just be sold during that weekend.

apujanata

This is a bad news for gamers around the world. I really hope that US launch is better than this, especially in the tie ratio.

I was expecting the numbers to be bad, but yikes! At LEAST 18% of PS3s sold without any games and this is assuming everybody else only bought one game.

Though I do remember a certain someone saying something along the lines of "The first five million would buy it even if it didn't have any games"

:lol :lol :lol I'm a silly

Troidal

J-Rzez said:

Medal of Honor (the first PS2 one) sold 150k in Japan.

Anyhow, prices of games are dropping already from what I heard. I can imagine a lot coming in to the used market too.

Soul4ger

Troidal said:
Anyhow, prices of games are dropping already from what I heard. I can imagine a lot coming in to the used market too.

What? Really? Does that happen frequently after launch, with games that people didn't pick up initially?

wow. i wasnt even considering people buying MULTIPLE games. i was figuring alittle less than 1 per console. the tie ratio is even worse. jesus.

Xeke

Banned
To be fair, I bought my DS without any games on launch day without any games. Thought it did come with the MP:FH packin thingy. I think I played around with pictochat for a while.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
J-Rzez said:

I think that Turok on N64 is yet the best seller FPS in Japan, with more than 400K sold. Anyway, this is a good start for a game like that in Japan.

Moonwalker said:
IMO Namco don't deserve good sales for RR7, I'm glad it's bombing.
i beg to differ....its their first Playstation racing game that they've managed to include online play, (probably kicking and scream)....they deserve good sales for it

darkks85

Banned
Square2005 said:
Yeah Namco can't be too happy...
look at Ridge Racer V's PS2 debue: 233,391

RR7 will at least make 500k before the year is over (if Sony can ship enough PS3s).

People are really reaching over these first 2 day sales of a console that shipped with only 80k units and half was being bought by scalpers who doesn't buy any games.

Jonnyram

darkks85 said:
RR7 will at least make 500k before the year is over (if Sony can ship enough PS3s).
No it won't. In fact, I don't think it will reach 100k in it's lifetime. Ridge Racer series is being killed by Namco's negligence, starting with RRs2 on the PSP

People are really reaching over these first 2 day sales of a console that shipped with only 80k units and half was being bought by scalpers who doesn't buy any games.
Half being bought by scalpers? Any evidence of that?

frAntic_Frog said:
i beg to differ....its their first Playstation racing game that they've managed to include online play, (probably kicking and scream)....they deserve good sales for it
Funny enough it's plays very much like their first ever playstation game. The series needs a massive overhaul in the gameplay department. After RR2 bombed hard, i just don't see how RR7 is gonna light up the charts, the only sales it's gonna get are out of desperation.

Jonnyram said:
No it won't. In fact, I don't think it will reach 100k in it's lifetime. Ridge Racer series is being killed by Namco's negligence, starting with RRs2 on the PSP

Half being bought by scalpers? Any evidence of that?

Jonnyram, don't bother.

darkks85 in some other thread said:
3D forms a sphere so shouldn't 4D be that you can move the sphere itself up/down and left/right?"

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Yeah because these games won't sell any more copies ever again. They could just be sold during that weekend.

.... i didn't say it wouldn't.

Depending on when the next shipments really start flowing, Ridge could get burnt.

I mean, if the next big shipment comes after GTHD and Motorstorm, then Ridge might get overlooked.

darkks85 said:
What does me not knowing what 4D is have to do with anything?
4D is impossible for a human being to visualise, unless you count time (in which case games are already in 4D). It just demonstrates how easily you swallow your console's master's words without applying a reason filter first.

In other words, it makes you look like a crazy fanboy, and any amount of reasoning is lost on crazy fanboys.

Jonnyram

Heads up for next week. Jamira is reporting that only 30,000 PS3s will be shipped to retailers this Saturday, instead of the previously expected 100,000.

darkks85

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Heads up for next week. Jamira is reporting that only 30,000 PS3s will be shipped to retailers this Saturday, instead of the previously expected 100,000.

Sony should never have launched before Christmas 2007. They will be playing catch up with their own previously announced shipments forever. :lol

Jonnyram said:
With the reports that the Japanese launch was cannibalising units originally headed for the US, I'm not surprised. Next week is the US launch, so each region will get their original proportion of units.

Mashing

wanadventures.gif

This is the greatest avatar on GAF.

Jonnyram said:

Are you serious!!?
So only 30k for the whole week?

RR7 will never sell 500k (or even outsell RR6) if this continues...

Tadaima

Square2005 said:
Are you serious!!?
So only 30k for the whole week?

Hey, look on the bright side; One third of the entire PS3 owners in the world own this game. There aren't many PS2 games that can claim such a feat.

Top Bottom