• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2012 (Jan 02 - Jan 08)

Busaiku

I do wonder how Monster Hunter 3G will fare next week and on.
It didn't see a rise last week like the Nintendo games, but it also didn't drop nearly as hard 2 weeks ago.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
IMHO it will be interesting to see how the Wii U will affect Vita. As many players use their portable mainly at home a Wii U might be the better offer for them (if priced right).
I was thinking the exact same thing in the morning.

Many gamers (gaffers) say that the VITA's size doesn't matter because they play portables at home mostly; it's undeniable that the 3DS is much more portable than the VITA, and the WiiU will attack that segment of gamers that want a portable console experience (whatever that means) at home; the WiiU will offer the real deal with that, not the downgraded offering the VITA does.

Vita is in trouble this month. The Q1 first party lineup will be a colossal failure in Japan (and I'm guessing the US as well, other than Uncharted), and the third party lineup isn't looking too hot either.

People say that another unexpected killer app in the vein of Monster Hunter could save the system, but why would any developer make it exclusive to Vita?

Monster Hunter, in the form we know today, was only possible on PSP since DS couldn't handle PS2 ports. But now 3DS and Vita aren't so unevenly matched because 3DS can handle pretty much any gameplay concept that Vita can*, even if the game built around those concepts would look prettier on Vita. So why would S-E or Capcom or Konami take a gamble with an exclusive for Vita's minute userbase when they can easily cater to both?

If this continues, 3DS will eventually become the de facto Japanese handheld standard, and Vita will only get the token gesture port here and there. Maybe lots of Wii-U ports down the line.

* I imagine that dual analog sticks is a gameplay differentiator, so that killer app in the states might be Call of Duty or something. I'm talking only about FPS-wasteland Japan.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's really boring. The logic was sound and the argument was made in good faith and for a series of reasons, I agreed with your thoughts and backed them up thinking they made sense. We were wrong, big deal.

Like Dcharlie, I'm a big fan of Monster Hunter (and a sad one given I don't speak Japanese and 3rd doesn't get released out of Japan) and I'm happy it does well. One of the main reasons I bought a Wii was to play Tri, and one of the main reasons I will buy a 3DS is for Monster Hunter 4.

And yes, the 3DS sales are really impressive, can't be said enough.
Didn't have an issue with the predictions myself, it did however get annoying the way he came across like he totally knew best and anyone that argued against it should just sit back and wait and see how he's gonna be right instead of discuss and present counter arguments. At least he seemed to realise that was OTT and started adding smilies and stuff in the posts after a point though.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was thinking the exact same thing in the morning.

Many gamers (gaffers) say that the VITA's size doesn't matter because they play portables at home mostly; it's undeniable that the 3DS is much more portable than the VITA, and the WiiU will attack that segment of gamers that want a portable console experience (whatever that means) at home; the WiiU will offer the real deal with that, not the downgraded offering the VITA does.
I have to disagree a bit on the bolded part. Size wise, the Vita and the 3DS isnt really that much different from eachother, so i wouldnt say that the 3DS is much more portable. And with the addition of the Frankenstick for the 3DS, then it might be even bigger than the Vita (i know that the Frankenstick isnt required, but i'm sure that someone will prefer to use this on some games).

What i will say though, is that since the 3DS is designed as a clam form, it is being "auto protected", which is good regarding portability. Using a protective case for Vita will solve this problem though, so it isnt much of an issue i'd say, but still, it is not "built in" like the 3DS is.

It is also still unknown how good range the WiiU controller has. It might not be as portable as one might think.

Oxx

With the 3DS sales this strong, I think Nintendo plans on delaying the 3DSLite.

Didn't the DSlite come very soon after the DS had a massive holiday season?

A revision isn't at all necessary given how the software line-up is stacked-up, but an improved model would only add to the fervour.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I have to disagree a bit on the bolded part. Size wise, the Vita and the 3DS isnt really that much different from eachother, so i wouldnt say that the 3DS is much more portable. And with the addition of the Frankenstick for the 3DS, then it might be even bigger than the Vita (i know that the Frankenstick isnt required, but i'm sure that someone will prefer to use this on some games).

What i will say though, is that since the 3DS is designed as a clam form, it is being "auto protected", which is good regarding portability. Using a protective case for Vita will solve this problem though, so it isnt much of an issue i'd say, but still, it is not "built in" like the 3DS is.

It is also still unknown how good range the WiiU controller has. It might not be as portable as one might think.
Oh, sorry for that, yes I was talking about the clamshell factor in that part, the VITA has the problem of scratching the screen (well, the 3DS does this automatically) but also the sticks should suffer a lot in pockets.

And yes, I'm also worried about the range of the Wii U, but it shouldn't be a big factor, because the console just needs to be plugged in to work (it should be like this), no extra cables; and if the range is 3-5 meters, that's a lot for a well placed WiiU.

CassSept

With the 3DS sales this strong, I think Nintendo plans on delaying the 3DSLite.

DSL came at the very height of DS craze and only propelled it upwards. Then again, DS was released in December '04, so at that place in time it was on the market 3 months more.

I think that Capcom had lowered expectations because it was a new console with lower userbase. That reason is gone now. Is there any reasons left why TriG shouldnt be able to sell 2m+?
I'd say the biggest hurdle remaining is just how many people are getting tired of the "Tri generation" if they've already played both Tri and Portable 3rd. EDIT: On the other hand, I suppose the last time there was a 3rd version was Monster Hunter Portable 2G, and that did pretty alright.
so 5+ million 3DS sold first year, what was the first DS year like?
2011-02-21

That cuts things off before DS's 2005 holiday season, though.
2011-02-21

UncleSporky said:
Isn't this sort of a unique situation here? It's a bit late for their traditional third entry (Pokemon Gray)
Emerald came about 16 months after Ruby/Sapphire (with FireRed/LeafGreen between). Platinum came 2 years after Diamond/Pearl. It's now about 16 months since Black/White.
BY2K said:
Nintendo should seriously consider the slogan: It's not about the hardware, it's about the games.
Only if they want to seriously consider everyone responding "MARIO ON IPHONE THEN PLZ."
frankie_baby said:
I'm not entirely convinced that vita ever will reach where 3ds is now
Cipher said:
Don't be ridiculous.
It's not like such a one-generation shift would be without precedent.
N64_JP

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Emerald came about 16 months after Ruby/Sapphire (with FireRed/LeafGreen between). Platinum came 2 years after Diamond/Pearl. It's now about 16 months since Black/White.

Right, but Diamond/Pearl came 53 months before the 3DS, Ruby/Sapphire came 25 months before the DS, and Black/White came 5 months before the 3DS, so it's not the first two -> third timing that would be iffy here, it'd be the generational break.

Takao

Banned
I look forward to seeing how games like Resident Evil and Kid Icarus do in Japan on the 3DS. I expect pretty well, but not 1 million sellers.

I wouldn't expect good things from Kid Icarus. It looks like a game where a bunch of talented people came together and made a turd.

fernoca

I'm not expecting much sales for Resident Evil Revelations.
100k or so debut, 200k-400k in a few weeks/months; 500k overall if it really does well.

Love to be wrong and hope it does better than that. Then again, japanese language, high production values, prequel to the last main RE game, nice extras, multiplayer on/offline...hope it does really well.

test_account

XP-39C²
Oh, sorry for that, yes I was talking about the clamshell factor in that part, the VITA has the problem of scratching the screen (well, the 3DS does this automatically) but also the sticks should suffer a lot in pockets.

And yes, I'm also worried about the range of the Wii U, but it shouldn't be a big factor, because the console just needs to be plugged in to work (it should be like this), no extra cables; and if the range is 3-5 meters, that's a lot for a well placed WiiU.
Using a protecting case should solve that problem. But yeah, i think that the clam shell stuff is a nice thing when it comes to protection of the screen(s) at least :)

3-5 meters isnt that much in my opinion. I mean, if you only plan on using the WiiU in one room, then it should work fine. But if you want to contunie playing in bed or in another room, then there might be an issue regarding portabilitly. Depends on how big your place is as well of course. But the range of the controller isnt known yet, it might be better than we think.

I'd say the biggest hurdle remaining is just how many people are getting tired of the "Tri generation" if they've already played both Tri and Portable 3rd. EDIT: On the other hand, I suppose the last time there was a 3rd version was Monster Hunter Portable 2G, and that did pretty alright.
That sounds plausible. I think that TriG will be the only new MH game for like 10-12 months, so i think it has a good chance of selling much more than what it already has done so far.

Takao

Banned
100k or so debut, 200k-400k in a few weeks/months; 500k overall if it really does well.

Love to be wrong and hope it does better than that. Then again, japanese language, high production values, prequel to the last main RE game, nice extras, multiplayer on/offline...hope it does really well.

Does it have multiplayer modes? If not, I'd say 500k is unreachable.

Right, but Diamond/Pearl came 53 months before the 3DS, Ruby/Sapphire came 25 months before the DS, and Black/White came 5 months before the 3DS, so it's not the first two -> third timing that would be iffy here, it'd be the generational break.

what do you mean, grey as a new game with new pokemon or just no gray at all? (or grey with slightly updated graphics).

If it starts at 100k, and ends up at 500k, that would mean the game would have ridiculous legs for the RE series, or that they shipped way too much and then it sold that in the bomba bin.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
what do you mean, grey as a new game with new pokemon or just no gray at all? (or grey with slightly updated graphics).

the third option. 3DS exclusive third version. Think Crystal, only with a bigger leap in graphics and probably some street/spot pass nonsense.

Takao

Banned
Anything is reachable with enough reprints and reissues (see "million selling" RE4/5).

I have a hard time believing everyone who bought RE5 on a PS3 or 360 will do so again with Revelations on 3DS. It's not a numbered entry (yeah, yeah I know it's being billed as the same in importance), and I don't feel as though Capcom's done enough to establish handheld Resident Evil games. I think the multiplayer will be key since it would be a good way to get 3DS owners who maybe never played an RE title to check out Revelations.

It will surprise many.

With how bad it will be? That doesn't surprise me. ;p

AntMurda

I wouldn't expect good things from Kid Icarus. It looks like a game where a bunch of talented people came together and made a turd.

Considering how the Wii user base treated most first and third party core oriented titles I would be inclined to agree. Especially with a shooter / adventure game like Kid Icarus. But then again, the 3DS is red hot and hype can perhaps really push Kid Icarus (and Fire Emblem) this early Spring.

I have a hard time believing everyone who bought RE5 on a PS3 or 360 will do so again with Revelations on 3DS. It's not a numbered entry (yeah, yeah I know it's being billed as the same in importance), and I don't feel as though Capcom's done enough to establish handheld Resident Evil games. I think the multiplayer will be key since it would be a good way to get 3DS owners who maybe never played an RE title to check out Revelations
Oh, I don't expect Revelations to match RE5 either. But with the way Capcom tends to handle these things in general, and RE in particular, I don't see 500k as all that unrealistic.

Okay, last call before we start banning for this. That's a warning to everyone, not just james.

You may want to put up a broader notice, the reach of doomsaying/"BUT GAF SAID"/etc. seems to extend far beyond Media Create, even if that's where it's most obnoxious. Very glad you're doing it though.

Busaiku

500k would be really, really big.

Opiate

You may want to put up a broader notice, the reach of doomsaying/"BUT GAF SAID"/etc. seems to extend far beyond Media Create, even if that's where it's most obnoxious. Very glad you're doing it though.

This isn't our only warning on the issue. We've made this clear repeatedly, but I'll put up a notice shortly.

hatchx

Banned
I have a hard time believing everyone who bought RE5 on a PS3 or 360 will do so again with Revelations on 3DS. It's not a numbered entry (yeah, yeah I know it's being billed as the same in importance), and I don't feel as though Capcom's done enough to establish handheld Resident Evil games. I think the multiplayer will be key since it would be a good way to get 3DS owners who maybe never played an RE title to check out Revelations.

I'm going to play half glass full, just for arguments sake.

I doubt they are expecting 5 million+ copies sold. No one will compare the sales of Revelations with RE5. Mercenaries shipped over 400k, I don't see why this one won't hit a million by the end of 2012. I would predict moderate success, but we'll see in 2-3 weeks when reviews hit.

As for Japan, I'd predict it'll top at about 250k which would be a mild success. NA is their target market it seems.

With how bad it will be? That doesn't surprise me. ;p

It's been delayed a year. We know it will have multiple difficulties, multiplayer, a shit ton of unlockables, multiple weapons, etc. I doubt a Nintendo title would have broken controls and I also doubt Sakurai would create a game without a lot of content. We also havn't had Kid Icarus in 20 years. Do you think Nintendo is going to dump a turd on us? Worse case scenario is it sells 500k copies worldwide and gets 8s for reviews.

I don't get where the hate on this comes. Hand cramping? Does anyone remember playing Metroid Prime Hunters with that tiny stylus on the heavier, clunkier DS phat? That still sold a million copies. Not to mention 1/3rd of Kid Icarus is on rails.

I doubt they are expecting 5 million+ copies sold. No one will compare the sales of Revelations with RE5. Mercenaries shipped over 400k, I don't see why this one won't hit a million by the end of 2012. I would predict moderate success, but we'll see in 2-3 weeks when reviews hit.

As for Japan, I'd predict it'll top at about 250k which would be a mild success. NA is their target market it seems.

It's been delayed a year. We know it will have multiple difficulties, multiplayer, a shit ton of unlockables, multiple weapons, etc. I doubt a Nintendo title would have broken controls and I also doubt Sakurai would create a game without a lot of content. We also havn't had Kid Icarus in 20 years. Do you think Nintendo is going to dump a turd on us? Worse case scenario is it sells 500k copies worldwide and gets 8s for reviews.

I don't get where the hate on this comes. Hand cramping? Does anyone remember playing Metroid Prime Hunters with that tiny stylus on the heavier, clunkier DS phat? That still sold a million copies. Not to mention 1/3rd of Kid Icarus

I think it's just because of what Kid Icarus turned into. Many people held up a high hope for a Kid Icarus revival and had it in their minds exactly how it would play. Most imagined it as some sort of Zelda/Metroid/God of War game so they were dissapointed when it turned into a Sin & Punishment-esque game. I don't expect it to set the world on fire sales wise but quality wise I expect it to be pretty good. I've always said it gives me a strong SF64 vibe since it's E3 debut. It seems like a highly replayable addictive game, light hearted story, and cheesy/quirky dialog. As for controls on top of the standard controls it can be played entirely with button and sticks and it was also recently announced that it will support the Frankenstick.

Thoraxes

You know, i'm thinking more and more that Nintendo planned this all out. Selling the system at $250 was an experiment really, and I think it paid off. You sell high to the early purchasers, see how the system does, and then cut it to the normal price when things get rough/2 months-ish before the Vita hits.

I think in the end it really paid off for them to be first to the market because it gave them time to play around and see what works, what doesn't, and why. Additionally, it's why I think they waited to announce both MH games, instead of doing so at E3, or another venue, so that they could ensure the timed push occurred when it did. I definitely think that part of it was definitely a fuck up, but I think that it was timed and was already prepared with a contingency plan.

Takao

Banned

This is a MediaCreate thread, my feelings towards Revelations are in regards to its Japanese performance. I think Japan will actually be its best market in terms of sales in comparison to Resident Evil 5, but I'm still unconvinced there's a lot of demand for a portable Resident Evil game. I don't think Capcom's done a good job telling people a traditional portable Resident Evil could work, and better yet, work well.

I don't get where the hate on this comes. Hand cramping? Does anyone remember playing Metroid Prime Hunters with that tiny stylus on the heavier, clunkier DS phat? That still sold a million copies. Not to mention 1/3rd of Kid Icarus

something something pilotwings resort something something

Okay, maybe me calling it a turd was a bit much, so I'll change it to this, the game doesn't look like what I'd expect some of the top developers at Nintendo to have put together. It honestly looks like a mediocre project just a bit above that of Pandora's Tower, except with a much larger push. The graphics aren't impressive, and from the media I've seen of it, the game feels like a more ambitious rail shooter than some genre defining classic. I think Kid Icarus: Uprising is a waste of talent that I'd put up with Killzone and Resistance in the "Only hardcore x fans care about" category.

test_account

XP-39C²
Additionally, it's why I think they waited to announce both MH games, instead of doing so at E3, or another venue, so that they could ensure the timed push occurred when it did.
I think that it was announced at Tokyo Game Show (i know it was a few days before, but it was still TGS'ish) instead of at E3 because MH is much more popular in Japan. It is still not known or announced (as far as i know) when TriG will get a western release.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You know, i'm thinking more and more that Nintendo planned this all out. Selling the system at $250 was an experiment really, and I think it paid off. You sell high to the early purchasers, see how the system does, and then cut it to the normal price when things get rough/2 months-ish before the Vita hits.

I think in the end it really paid off for them to be first to the market because it gave them time to play around and see what works, what doesn't, and why. Additionally, it's why I think they waited to announce both MH games, instead of doing so at E3, or another venue, so that they could ensure the timed push occurred when it did. I definitely think that part of it was definitely a fuck up, but I think that it was timed and was already prepared with a contingency plan.

The problem is that...err, how can I say it...yes! I have it.
...The problem is that they lost a SHITLOAD of money due to 3DS' slow launch. It's obvious that they were planning to do some price-cuts during its life, but the intensity of the price-KILL (from 25.000 to 15.000 Yen) has been too much deep to think that it was all planned right in this way.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

No warning is required. I'm sure we've actually banned for this, although specific users aren't coming to mind. The thing being banned is not the specific meme, it's that we've always banned for threadshitting and for trolling, and counter-trolling invisible hypothetical trolls who aren't even in the thread, replying to thoughtful individual positions with flippant one-line dismissals of the aggregate, and other assorted behaviours it falls under have always been bannable.

No one should ever think of specific phrases as being bannable, they should think of negatively contributing to discussion as being bannable. I tried to stress this in the FAQ I wrote last year about Banned Sites, Inappropriate Posts, and Memes.

In specific, this paragraph applies:
- Thread Whining / Respect to Others. It's not that "Haters gonna hate" is a banned meme, it's that it's often used to be flippant and dismissive to other posters. If someone is trying to explain what they think about something, either treat them with respect or don't reply at all. So when you post "u mad", "deal with it", "haters gonna hate", "the GAF hivemind", "the usual suspects", "but GAF said x and now they're saying y!!!", "entitled whiners" or anything else that suggests that you don't care what other people think, you may be banned if it is taking away from discussion. This is getting to be a pretty big problem, and it's probably the single largest category of bans these days. If you don't want to discuss something, you don't need to post.

And the last line says it all--if you think GAF is terrible and you think most posters are trolls and you think it's not worth making an effort to post, that's great. No harm, no foul. Feel free to post elsewhere or nowhere at all. Some people like smaller, more intimate forums. Some people like less tightly moderated forums. Some people like single-console gaming websites. More power to them all, I don't begrudge anyone who doesn't like GAF. There are a lot of people that we ban (or that I ban!) who are good people and smart people, they're just not well suited to GAF or they've been here so long that it embitters them a bit.

So for everyone who is still here, try to contribute positively. Try to put in a little bit of an effort. Post half as much twice as well. Respond to people, even dumb people, with respect. Don't take away from someone's thoughtful contributions by generalizing their opinion. Don't be flippant. All of this stems pretty logically from the TOS' stance on trolling and the various things posted in the FAQ forum. :)

If anyone has any questions about the rules, please PM me or Opiate or any other moderator. It's not a democracy so if you disagree with anything that's said above, well, bummer, dude, but if you need clarification, just let us know.

hatchx

Banned
I think it's just because of what Kid Icarus turned into. Many people held up a high hope for a Kid Icarus revival and had it in their minds exactly how it would play. Most imagined it as some sort of Zelda/Metroid/God of War game so they were dissapointed when it turned into a Sin & Punishment-esque game. I don't expect it to set the world on fire sales wise but quality wise I expect it to be pretty good. I've always said it gives me a strong SF64 vibe since it's E3 debut. It seems like a highly replayable addictive game, light hearted story, and cheesy/quirky dialog. As for controls on top of the standard controls it can be played entirely with button and sticks and it was also recently announced that it will support the Frankenstick.

I downloaded the original Kid Icarus and it was just a generic platformer that was INSANELY HARD.

So a reinvention was cool with me. It's a third person shooter with on-rails bits (like any shooter has now ie: turret sections).

What did people expect?

No warning is required. I'm sure we've actually banned for this, although specific users aren't coming to mind. The thing being banned is not the specific meme, it's that we've always banned for threadshitting and for trolling, and counter-trolling invisible hypothetical trolls who aren't even in the thread, replying to thoughtful individual positions with flippant one-line dismissals of the aggregate, and other assorted behaviours it falls under have always been bannable.

No one should ever think of specific phrases as being bannable, they should think of negatively contributing to discussion as being bannable. I tried to stress this in the FAQ I wrote last year about Banned Sites, Inappropriate Posts, and Memes.

In specific, this paragraph applies:

And the last line says it all--if you think GAF is terrible and you think most posters are trolls and you think it's not worth making an effort to post, that's great. No harm, no foul. Feel free to post elsewhere or nowhere at all. Some people like smaller, more intimate forums. Some people like less tightly moderated forums. Some people like single-console gaming websites. More power to them all, I don't begrudge anyone who doesn't like GAF. There are a lot of people that we ban (or that I ban!) who are good people and smart people, they're just not well suited to GAF or they've been here so long that it embitters them a bit.

So for everyone who is still here, try to contribute positively. Try to put in a little bit of an effort. Post half as much twice as well. Respond to people, even dumb people, with respect. Don't take away from someone's thoughtful contributions by generalizing their opinion. Don't be flippant. All of this stems pretty logically from the TOS' stance on trolling and the various things posted in the FAQ forum. :)

If anyone has any questions about the rules, please PM me or Opiate or any other moderator. It's not a democracy so if you disagree with anything that's said above, well, bummer, dude, but if you need clarification, just let us know.

<-------------

Top Bottom