• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2013 (Dec 31 - Jan 06)

farnham

Banned
the strong 3DS sales could actually benefit Wii U, depending on how Nintendo handles it. Because the 3DS has proven itself to be a successful platform for 3rd parties, Nintendo could shift their focus to Wii U. Perhaps a 70/30 split, with the 30% 3DS games having worldwide appeal, for example Zelda.

I don't necessarily expect this to happen though. Nintendo has investors to appease, so it'll be hard for them to not take the quicker route, releasing numerous games on 3DS and watching the money roll in.

They just need a lot more teams.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I could see the following Wii U schedule:

March- Game & Wario
April- Wii Fit U, DQ X
May- Pikmin 3

Sometime in 2013- Wonderful 101. Frankly this game isn't going to make any impact whenever it is released, and I would hope Nintendo would not be counting on it to maintain or spur any sales.

I am skeptical that Nintendo would not have anything first party from June through September-October- that is really extreme and would put 2013 even more at odds with 2007 in terms of first party output*

I'm not expecting Super Mario Universe in August or anything, but I bet there will be at least a few mid-tier stuff for this summer that hasn't been announced yet.

* Of course, Wii output was made a lot easier since there was no real technological hurdles to overcome and in cases like SPM and Mario Strikers Charged were literally just Gamecube ports.

Beemo

Banned
Vita - 33,309

ibzxd7fj4H8ktV.gif

:lol :lol :lol

Thanks.

So the Wii U was actually 3 titles lower than the Wii's launch, or am I forgetting something?
Wii U really had 3 1st party launch titles:

New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo EAD Group 4)
Nintendo Land (Nintendo EAD Group 2)
Joysound Wii Karaoke U (NdCube/Tose Software)

Everyone keeps forgetting it's secret killer app.

Yeah, I'm pretty much heading towards the idea that until this holiday the Wii U is not going to have an amazing lineup. I see something like this happening

February- Game and Wario
March- Wii Fit U
April- Pikmin 3
May/June- Wonderful 101

This wouldn't be a bad lineup if not for the fact that it seems Nintendo is even more alone than they ever have been. I still have a little hope for some kind of event or something to be announced and Nintendo to come out swinging, but I think the reason there hasn't been a Nintendo Direct is because Nintendo doesn't have anything to show for the Japanese market. I hope I'm wrong, but if not it's going to be interesting race to watch between Wii U and Vita in a few months.

Nekki

Retail only

2006 - 5
2007 - 12
2008 - 15
2009 - 16
2010 - 12
2011 - 11
2012 - 5

So Nintendo effectively stopped supporting the Wii heavily in 2012. 2011 was fine in terms of numbers of releases, even though some of them were minor.

The fact that it'd be a brand new Zelda is actually why I think it's pretty plausible to see it released this Holiday: Grezzo developed OoT 3D, and 2 years have passed since its release right now. Moreover, they were already working on it during SS's development IIRC, so why not this year?

The reason why I think it's not likely is because Zelda games tend to take long to develop. Of course, I'm not saying it won't happen, it's just what I think. This will be a game made from the ground up for 3DS, with a new model (most likely), new gameplay ideas and a lot of stuff that needs to be planned.

It'll probably be akin to a console experience, even in the development process. And I highly doubt Grezzo would handle this entry. Not to say that they couldn't help with it though (or any other studio for that matter).

On another topic I think what Nintendo should do is strengthen Retro Studios, let it be a bit more independant, and focus on making western-aimed franchises/games. They are already big enough to handle two projects at a time, even moreso if they split into a Wii U and a 3DS team, or they can form one bigger team for a more ambitious Wii U project.

They should also use their second parties (Next Level, Monster, etc.) to do this, and commission games for the eShop (be it Wii U or 3DS) from them as well. That would relieve Japanese studios a bit in my opinion, as well as the release calendar of course.

Also seek more European developers, even if the teams aren't so big.

I know this is not easy, it takes time, resources and coordination between three different and distinct regions, but it's one thing I believe would strengthen Nintendo as a whole. Of course, this sholud've started one or two years ago to see the effects in the current or coming year, which I don't think will happen.

Yeah, I'm pretty much heading towards the idea that until this holiday the Wii U is not going to have an amazing lineup. I see something like this happening

February- Game and Wario
March- Wii Fit U
April- Pikmin 3
May/June- Wonderful 101

This wouldn't be a bad lineup if not for the fact that it seems Nintendo is even more alone than they ever have been. I still have a little hope for some kind of event or something to be announced and Nintendo to come out swinging, but I think the reason there hasn't been a Nintendo Direct is because Nintendo doesn't have anything to show for the Japanese market. I hope I'm wrong, but if not it's going to be interesting race to watch between Wii U and Vita in a few months.
They seemed plenty able to anounce pokemon 10 months from launch despite having a plethora of games already known for japan and america. The wii u really will be Vita'd if all they have is pikmin 3, game & wario, wii fit and wonderful 101 from now until october.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think he means how could anyone think the Wii U is only going to get those games from now until October.

gaf operates in a world where things are either OMG AWESOME or OMG BOMBA. There is no in between.

muu

It's funny that people consider it a Vita bump. Guess some people always see the glass as half full.

You still have a situation where 3DS is outselling Vita nearly 9:1. More importantly, the PSP outsold Vita by 20K units 2 weeks straight. Assuming PSPs were properly phased out and real BC possible on Vita (and the price dropped), we could have seen 60K and 90K weeks for Vita... which would have been quite significant.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's funny that people consider it a Vita bump. Guess some people always see the glass as half full.

You still have a situation where 3DS is outselling Vita nearly 9:1. More importantly, the PSP outsold Vita by 20K units 2 weeks straight. Assuming PSPs were properly phased out and real BC possible on Vita (and the price dropped), we could have seen 60K and 90K weeks for Vita... which would have been quite significant.
It doesnt have much to do with that though, it is only that people werent expecting the bump (it is a bump compared to what it normally sells, it is also the highest selling holiday week for the Vita), not that it is some great sales, and not a bump in the regards that the Vita will continue to sell higher than normal in the upcoming weeks (i havnt read all posts, but i havnt seen anyone say that at least).

big youth

Black Ops 2 was announced how long before it's launch on Wii U? 3-4 weeks? Harmoknight released in Japan about a week after it's debut on Nintendo Direct, so Nintendo has proven they'll hold off on announcing games 1st and 3rd party games until weeks before release. I expect we'll soon get some some game announcements for Q2 and beyond. eshop and otherwise.

Scum

I could have sworn the Vita has already managed 35,000+ units sold last year*. Something to do with a limited edition release?

*Wow! Last year! lol

I think he means how could anyone think the Wii U is only going to get those games from now until October.

Because it's entirely possible? Unless we are talking 3rd party games, since I expect a few those to pop up. Of course, there will definitely be more games than that for the year, but the At the very least I don't expect any new announcements for something coming out before June.

gaf operates in a world where things are either OMG AWESOME or OMG BOMBA. There is no in between.

There certainly is doing ok, which is what I expected the Wii U to fall at, but unless Nintendo does something to change things soon it's going to head towards the latter.

Do you think Nintendo are holding back third parties from annoucing games and/or release dates for the games that are already annouced?
I have no idea at this point. Although basically every notable game on the system so far (1st and 3rd party) was announced via a Nintendo event, presentation or press release. The only big exception I can think of is DQX.

Although basically every notable game on the system so far (1st and 3rd party) was announced via a Nintendo event, presentation or press release.

Thats not really uncommon for a launch though is it? I think the uncommon thing is the lack of annoucements post launch especially the release dates anyway.

I'm not really talking about stuff for the latter half of the year, we probably wont hear about most of that untill after this quater and into E3 just that the first half o the year as has been said quite alot in this thread is very dry.

It's getting towards the middle of January the chances of a new game annoucement for a release in q1/2 of this year are getting lower. Ports don't need the same buildup but we all know that they don't really drive hardware sales either.

Thats not really uncommon for a launch though is it? I think the uncommon thing is the lack of annoucements post launch especially the release dates anyway.

I'm not really talking about stuff for the latter half of the year, we probably wont hear about most of that untill after this quater and into E3 just that the first half o the year as has been said quite alot in this thread is very dry.

It's getting towards the middle of January the chances of a new game annoucement for a release in q1 of this year are getting lower. Ports don't need the same buildup but we all know that they don't really drive hardware sales either.
Well with 3DS, much of it's continued post launch too. Stuff like Bravely Default, Monster Hunter 4, etc, being announced via Nintenfo directly. I expect Wii U to be more of a mix like that as well, Nintendo's been putting more and more significance on direct audience presentations.

I don't really expect any new Wii U announcements for Q1-2 except maybe some additional late ports (as you said) and likely more eShop stuff. We already know the 1st party lineup, all we need there is dates.

AzaK

They seemed plenty able to anounce pokemon 10 months from launch despite having a plethora of games already known for japan and america. The wii u really will be Vita'd if all they have is pikmin 3, game & wario, wii fit and wonderful 101 from now until october.

Yup and especially in the West because third parties couldn't give two fucks about Wii U it seems. They're waiting for the big boys.

BriBri

The reason why I think it's not likely is because Zelda games tend to take long to develop. Of course, I'm not saying it won't happen, it's just what I think. This will be a game made from the ground up for 3DS, with a new model (most likely), new gameplay ideas and a lot of stuff that needs to be planned.
It's easily likely if they use the Ocarina engine, which I am fine with.

Celine

Hmmm... Cant judge WiiU until after its 1st 2nd Christmas? :lol
Yeah I expected that response :p
What I say is that you need to wait at least next holiday to you judge Nintendo internal output quality for "HD games" because there will be at least a "big game" from Nintendo (unless it's a Vita, hell even Virtual Boy got it and that system lasted on retail shelves just 5 months).

But I agree that it is better to wait around 2 years to have a clear idea where a system is trending :p

Dated Q1 lineups so far:

Nintendo 3DS

02.07.13 Dragon Quest VII: Eden no Senshitachi (Square Enix)
02.07.13 Pachi-Para 3D : Deluxe Umi Monogatari - Pachi-Pro Fuuunroko - Hana Kotou no Shoubushi Tachi (IREM)
02.14.13 Maru Gou! Nanami to Issho ni Gakubo! English Joutatsu no Kotsu Riron-Hen (Media5)
02.14.13 Maru Gou! Nanami to Issho ni Gakubo! TOEIC Test Taisaku-Hen (Media5)
02.21.13 Magi: Hajimari no Meikyuu (Bandai)
02.28.13 Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission (Bandai)
02.28.13 Layton Kyouju to Choubunmei A no Isan (Level 5)
02.28.13 Osawari Tantei Nameko Shigeru (Success)

03.07.13 Doraemon: Nobita to Himitsu Dougu Hakubutsukan (FuRyu)
03.14.13 Super Robot Taisen UX (Bandai)

PS Vita

01.24.13 Demon Gaze (Kadokawa Games)
01.24.13 Genkai Totsuki Monster Monpiece (Compile Heart)
01.31.13 PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (SCEI)
01.31.13 Sengoku Hime 3: Tenka o Kirisaku Hikari to Kage (SystemSoft)
01.31.13 WRC 3 (CyberFront)

02.07.13 NextRev: Chuushoukigyou Shindanshi Shiken 1 (Media5)
02.07.13 NextRev: Chuushoukigyou Shindanshi Shiken 2 (Media5)
02.07.13 San Goku Shi 12 (Koei)
02.14.13 Sakura-Sou no Pet na Kanojo (Kadokawa Games)
02.14.13 Silent Hill: Book of Memories (Konami)
02.21.13 Ciel Nosurge RE:Incarnation (Koei)
02.21.13 NextRev: Sharoushi Shiken (Media5)
02.28.13 Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus (Tecmo)
02.28.13 Phantasy Star Online 2 (Sega)
02.28.13 Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei (Marvelous AQL)

03.07.13 Soul Sacrifice (SCEI)
03.07.13 Tales of Hearts R (Namco)
03.14.13 Steins;Gate (5pb)
03.14.13 Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling (5pb)
03.20.13 Dead or Alive 5 Plus (Tecmo)
03.20.13 Meruru no Atelier Plus: Arland no Renkinjutsushi 3 (Koei)
03.20.13 One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 2 (Bandai)
03.28.13 Oboro Muramasa (Marvelous AQL)
03.28.13 Sei Madou Monogatari (Compile Heart)

Xbox 360

01.27.13 DmC: Devil May Cry (Capcom)
01.24.13 Hitman: Absolution (Square Enix)
01.31.13 Love*Tra: Bitter (Boost On)

02.07.13 Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear (Hamster)
02.14.13 Combat Wings: The Great Battles of WWII (CyberFront)
02.14.13 Ginga Force (Qute)
02.28.13 MuvLuv Alternative: Total Eclipse (5pb)
02.28.13 Risen 2: Dark Waters (Ubisoft)

03.07.13 Crysis 3 (EA Games)
03.07.13 F1 Race Stars (Codemasters)
03.07.13 Far Cry 3 (Ubisoft)
03.14.13 DarkStalkers Resurrection (Capcom)
03.21.13 Gears of War: Judgement (Microsoft)
03.27.13 Final Fantasy XI: Adoulin no Makyou (Square Enix)
03.28.13 Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel (EA Games)

PlayStation 3

01.27.13 DmC: Devil May Cry (Capcom)
01.27.13 LittleBigPlanet Karting (SCEI)
01.24.13 Hitman: Absolution (Square Enix)
01.24.13 Kamisama to Unmei Kakumei no Paradox (N1 Soft)
01.24.13 Nobunaga no Yabou Online: 10-Shuunun Kinen Box (Koei)
01.31.13 Accel World: Kasoku no Chouten (Bandai)
01.31.13 PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (SCEI)
01.31.13 WRC 3 (CyberFront)

02.07.13 Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear (Hamster)
02.14.13 Combat Wings: The Great Battles of WWII (CyberFront)
02.21.13 Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Konami)
02.28.13 Macross 30: Ginga o Tsunagu Utagoe (Bandai)
02.28.13 MuvLuv Alternative: Total Eclipse (5pb)
02.28.13 Risen 2: Dark Waters (Ubisoft)
02.28.13 Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo (5pb)
02.28.13 Dynasty Warriors 8 (Koei)

03.07.13 Crysis 3 (EA Games)
03.07.13 F1 Race Stars (Codemasters)
03.07.13 Far Cry 3 (Ubisoft)
03.07.13 Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F (Sega)
03.14.13 God of War: Ascension (SCEI)
03.14.13 Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (Square Enix)
03.14.13 DarkStalkers Resurrection (Capcom)
03.14.13 Winning Post 7 2013 (Koei)
03.20.13 Disgaea Dimension 2 (N1 Soft)
03.20.13 Little Busters! Converted Edition (Prototype)
03.20.13 One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 2 (Bandai)
03.28.13 Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel (EA Games)

Wii U

01.31.13 Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (Koei)

02.21.13 Tank! Tank! Tank! (Namco)

03.14.13 Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion Game (EA Games)
haha, it looks like the Vita actually has a more loaded lineup from a quantitative standpoint, than the 3DS!!!

That´s probably the worst lineup in the history of console gaming.
Well, this is why I said quantitatively. But really? I see Soul Sacrifice, Phantasy Star, Tales of Hearts, Steins;Gate, Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden, All Stars, Silent Hill... Quite a lot on there that should reasonably be able to sell the system.

EDIT: Ah, Wii U. Yes, I agree. WTF is Nintendo thinking?
To give them the benefit of the doubt, the Wii U section of the list does not include dates for Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U, Game and Wario, Lego City Undercover, or The Wonderful 101. But yes, it's an absolute disaster.

AniHawk

vita's lineup isn't so bad. it's a lot of ports and some are from really small companies, but there's a big one here and there- the biggest being pso2- which could actually wind up being very huge. the important thing is that it's a pretty steady release list. the 3ds is much more barren, but it has more big titles as far as japan's concerned.

i'm guessing there is a missing psp section, but i wonder if this is when we might start seeing a switch from that userbase over to the vita. if sony can keep the vita selling around 10k a week, they can start building a decent library and give the system at least 600k in sales this year. once next-gen hits, it'll probably get a lot more downports than the 3ds.

the wii u just looks abysmal though. have to wonder how nintendo couldn't get pso2 at all, considering their somewhat cozy relationship with sega and the history of the pso games.

the wii u just looks abysmal though. have to wonder how nintendo couldn't get pso2 at all, considering their somewhat cozy relationship with sega and the history of the pso games.

Maybe to do with the online system not being up and running properly at the time things were being decided there, content delivery is the biggest thing for mmo's.

Oersted

Same discussion as always. Wii U has two games in the charts , Nintendo needs games. Vita sells less than PSP, like every week, only means resurrection.

disco

vita's lineup isn't so bad. it's a lot of ports and some are from really small companies, but there's a big one here and there- the biggest being pso2- which could actually wind up being very huge. the important thing is that it's a pretty steady release list. the 3ds is much more barren, but it has more big titles as far as japan's concerned.

i'm guessing there is a missing psp section, but i wonder if this is when we might start seeing a switch from that userbase over to the vita. if sony can keep the vita selling around 10k a week, they can start building a decent library and give the system at least 600k in sales this year. once next-gen hits, it'll probably get a lot more downports than the 3ds.

I really wouldn't call Nintendo's relationship with Sega anymore cosy than their relationships with Capcom or Tecmo-Koei or S-E. They come and they go (repeat). There is no definitive statement. I do agree the Wii U looks barren. Not really much else to say that hasn't been said.

I think the Vita will sell moderately well; I assume a Nintendo Direct is going to come and fill in the future release schedule soon enough though. I anticipate a situation much like the 3DS last Spring where Nintendo was directly telling the audience what came out every single week. Plus of course; Animal Crossing and NSMB will carry the system a little where there are bare patches.

600k would be sales like in this year - with price drop and better releases 1000k should be minimum.

Top Bottom