• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2014 (Mar 03 - Mar 09)

Metallix87

I'm sure Sony didn't expect much from the Japanese launch, but they had to make a token effort to appease the most hardcore fans. Especially since they launched everywhere else already.
They didn't appease them, though, since there's nothing for them to play.

It doesn't help that the most popular titles in Japan over the next 12 months are all cross-gen. I bet we see sub ~10K PS4 weeks here and there over the summer.

First title I can even think of grabbing attention is Deep Down, and I'm still dubious about the title as a whole due to lack of details (though I'm not actively searching for details either).

Bottom Line: PS4 will be weak for at least 2 years, which is long enough to entrench consumers in other user experiences (mobile, phones, etc...). I am doubtful PS4 will reach PS3 LTD numbers in Japan, which will also make LTD WW more difficult to reach in turn.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The only thing that could move PS4s in Japan is if they take an interest in some Western franchises. Nothing else seems to coming until at least 2015.

The big releases for the PS4 in Japan this year will be Uncharted 4 (well unlikely), GTAV port, and the latest Call of Duty title.

The only thing that could move PS4s in Japan is if they take an interest in some Western franchises. Nothing else seems to coming until at least 2015.

If only they would release infamous second son this month in Japan.. But no.. It release in May. I know it would not be a system seller there but c'mon more games is always better.

koutoru

The VIta almost outsold the PS4 in Japan this week.

While Japan has always been more handheld focused, they've got to get more of devs moving from the PS3 to PS4 (and at a quicker pace as well).
There's just a lack of software that's interesting on PS4 to Japan.

Microsoft is probably facing a similar issue with introducing the Xbox One in Japan, the magnitude of their problem, however, is far greater.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Hmm I think 3DS needs a small relaunch with discounted software. There are tons of games on the system, but with each of the being around $30-40, it is just too expensive.

They could leverage digital distribution here, but without a proper unified account system the appeal quickly diminishes.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The VIta almost outsold the PS4 in Japan this week.

While Japan has always been more handheld focused, they've got to get more of devs moving from the PS3 to PS4 (and at a quicker pace as well).
There's just a lack of software that's interesting on PS4 to Japan.

Microsoft is probably facing a similar issue with introducing the Xbox One in Japan, the magnitude of their problem, however, is far greater.

I'd argue their magnitude is much smaller. Even MS at this point knows Japan is a lost cause, so really why bother?

I would seriously be shocked if they're moneyhatting/funding big Japanese games this time around.

I'd argue their magnitude is much smaller. Even MS at this point knows Japan is a lost cause, so really why bother?

I would seriously be shocked if they're moneyhatting/funding big Japanese games this time around.

They are going to go back to the OG XB days and money hat Japanese games with strong Western appeal(think NG1). I don't see them snatching up shit idol master this time around. They will likely have another mistwalker RPG as well.

Kid Ying

How low can you go PS4? Will you limbo with the best of them (Wii U and 2012 Vita).

Regarding the bundled software counts / doesn't count. You can count it as much as you want as long as you realise that whatever sales numbers that result from doing so aren't reflective of real market desire for the software.

Knack's software sales shouldn't inform anyone of the desire for Knack 2 in Japan and lead to it's greenlighting. And Wii Party U doesn't mean there's still considerable thirst for such software as standalone.
I understand where are you coming, but i said specifically about wii fit u, where the barrier for entry in the bundle was also the same price as the standalone version and there was no other adition besides wii fit u. Hence, the people who got that bundle over the cheaper one, specifically wanted wii fit u.

I dont believe its a sucess at all, though. No way to tell if the people who bought that bundle wouldnt have bought anything at all without the fit included and if that game didnt bring new people to the table (as we know it didnt) it wasnt a sucess by any means.

And the last we heard from party was at december at media create and it was something like 130k sold standalone. Not a good result at all, but the u situation is so bad is probably on the top 6 sellers on the system. lol

Principate

Saint Titanfall

At this point? MS figured that out years ago. When your console only sells 1 million LTD it's the time you realise it's a lost cause. I assume Sony thought PS3 support would have started to migrate by now or they had long since given up on Japan.

Any big releases set for this week for the Vita?
How is it selling compared to last year's March?

Last year we had the price drop as well as SS and a couple of 'high' profile games, right?

phanphare

Banned
Hmm I think 3DS needs a small relaunch with discounted software. There are tons of games on the system, but with each of the being around $30-40, it is just too expensive.

They could leverage digital distribution here, but without a proper unified account system the appeal quickly diminishes.

I mean, I agree with you but the 3DS software sales are good. it's the hardware sales that are slipping

RalchAC

They are going to go back to the OG XB days and money hat Japanese games with strong Western appeal(think NG1). I don't see them snatching up shit idol master this time around. They will likely have another mistwalker RPG as well.

This would be the best thing to do for them imo. They don't even need to secure a lot of exclusives either. Having the heavy hitters on the platform (FF, KH, RE, MGS...) plus maybe 1 or 2 more "japanese" games to cover JRPG fans on the early years would be enough.

That Osaka studio was vaporware, right?

Tripon

They didn't appease them, though, since there's nothing for them to play.
I'd argue the hard core was actually taken care of.(Not well, but at least they have games targeted at them.) They got an Ishin port, they got Idol Master Dream C, they're getting a Metal Gear demo in a couple of weeks. Its the general consumer that is being screwed over. What are they playing?

nampad

Wow, the Vita nearly outsold the 3DS. Watch out buddy, the #champion is right behind you.
The Soul Sacrifice Delta sales aren't that good though.

The PS4 numbers are as bad as expected with the bad software support we are seeing. Japanese developers once again miss the generational leap and this time the last generation went on long enough to be prepared. Getting really annoyed by their conservative development.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'd argue the hard core was actually taken care of.(Not well, but at least they have games targeted at them.) They got an Ishin port, they got Idol Master Dream C, they're getting a Metal Gear demo in a couple of weeks. Its the general consumer that is being screwed over. What are they playing?

A demo, an enhanced port and Idol Master.

Damn the hardcore got a 5 star treatment

Mr Swine

Banned
Ok numbers all around, vita will outsell the 3DS this month and probably next month too. Has Sony announced any price drop?A bit disappointed in SSD, was hoping it sold around 80k, when is SS2 coming out or hasn't Sony announce it yet?

But I think it's time for Nintendo to announce a 3DSi with better specs and a second circle pad for this year (at the same price as the XL). At least something that can ease the development transition from the 3DS to the next handheld next year or so like the DSi.

Tripon

A demo, an enhanced port and Idol Master.

Damn the hardcore got a 5 star treatment
Like I said, not well. But better than the general consumer. Sony took a hard look at what they had and decided Knack was the game they're bundling. Frigging Knack.

Moments hunter

Neo Member
Ok numbers all around, vita will outsell the 3DS this month and probably next month too. Has Sony announced any price drop?A bit disappointed in SSD, was hoping it sold around 80k, when is SS2 coming out or hasn't Sony announce it yet?

But I think it's time for Nintendo to announce a 3DSi with better specs and a second circle pad for this year (at the same price as the XL). At least something that can ease the development transition from the 3DS to the next handheld next year or so like the DSi.

What?

Are there any games or discounts to support such increase in Vita sales?

Lady Gaia

A steady run rate?

Quite the assumption considering the trajectory.

Sure, it could be on its way to Wii U-like numbers. Or this could be the new normal. The point is that we have no evidence one way or another, so it's just as easy to conclude that things are about as expected as it is to conclude that the sky is falling.

Orgen

Uh? Where? I jumped because of your gratuitous passive aggressive "tell me how you really feel" comment.
I just said that nothing will happen when the PS4 will sell poorly, it's going to be like that for a while. It's not gonna sell just because there's a PlayStation logo on it.

No, you jumped before in your first response implying I was saying "PS4doomed" when I was not in the slightest (as I said, I was making fun of the "out of stock" group).

Maybe my "tell me how you really feel" comment was out of place but I was trying to make clear that my post was only a joke. Sorry if it did upset you, it was not my intention (English is not my first language :D)

More On Topic, I'm a little surprised about DQM2 numbers. I was expecting worse sales but it may end up only 100.000 behind DQM. Does anybody have a comparison between them at hand?

Metallix87

Like I said, not well. But better than the general consumer. Sony took a hard look at what they had and decided Knack was the game they're bundling. Frigging Knack.
Again, I really don't think Sony tookcare of any Japanese consumers, even the most hardcore.

Ok numbers all around, vita will outsell the 3DS this month and probably next month too.
All the champion talk in the world won't make that happen, mate.

Kid Ying

Namco is weird

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783309

But if they release those additiona versions of One piece bomba in Japan that means there's actual 3rd party Wii U game in existence
Namco already have two games for Wiiu to be released in Japan. Pac world and Kamen rider. They are the biggest supporter of the wiiu besides Nintendo (which is not saying much, or anything, since releasing any stuff would already make them the biggest supporter of the console)

Metallix87

Given the current sales and the fact that vita has Miku + SAO and some smaller games its not that crazy to think it will outsell 3ds.
It definitely is, unless you think that tons of people will be buying Vita systems. Those games will appeal primarily to people who already own the hardware.

sörine

Banned
Namco already have two games for Wiiu to be released in Japan. Pac world and Kamen rider. They are the biggest supporter of the wiiu besides Nintendo (which is not saying much, or anything, since releasing any stuff would already make them the biggest supporter of the console)
They had Taiko last year too which was sort of big. For overall releases in Japan they're just ahead of Sega, 6 to 5.

Top Bottom