• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2014 (Mar 03 - Mar 09)

I think PS4 sales will pick up once Japanese devs start migrating to it more. Dark Souls II and Persona 5 are still slated only for the PS3 over there, and as long titles like that stay on last-gen, I don't see many people over there having a good reason to get one.

It's too bad it isn't doing better out of the gate though.

I'm honestly trying to think of titles we'd known about by this point in 2007 and all I come up with are:

GT 6
Gundam Musou
Final Fantasy XIII
MGS4
White Knight Story
Ridge Racer
Valkyria Chronicles
Eternal Sonata
Monster Hunter 3 (lol)

RE5 too

http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/07/20/resident-evil-5-announced

JP developers did announce support for PS3 early. FFXIII, Versus, RE5, MGS4, GT5 and more were all announced before the system even went on sale. Problem is that all of them took forever to release.

prag16

Banned
Is PS4 more or less readily available in Japan? Because if it is than that's a really, really bad sign and if it isn't I'm starting to wonder where on earth (literally) Sony ships all those PS4 units.

Anecdotal, but I was in my local Best Buy yesterday, and they had 8 PS4s sitting on the shelf. A few days before that my nearest Walmart had 4 sitting there. Is the U.S. finally getting more persistent stock overall or was this a chance occurrence?

Sorry, I meant hardware sales.

Sustained hardware trends (positive or negative) are obviously very important for a system.
3DS is in a position where saturation is a high possibility so software is whats more important and the 3DS is doing well weekly on that front. Its selling solely on core gamers, none of that tough generation type of games to boost its hardware.

RalchAC

That's true, hopefully it'll keep it afloat. I'm not to confident that a prologue will sell much to be honest though.

Soul Sacrifice - 92.396 (normal) + 22.050 (double pack).

Those double pack sales are 11.025*2 or 22.050*2?

from now and until the next PS4 exclusive game that japan cares about releases, in which range do you guys think the PS4 hardware will position itself'?

is 11k-13k doable? and if it it stays there, is that decent/solid or bad?

11-13k is quite bad tbh.

Vita soft doesn't see to be selling.
3ds soft is selling well. Hardware needs a revision to boost up sales.
PS4- I'm not sure what is going on; I didn't expect it too drop-off so quickly.

I'm very curious about Youkai Watch, as in i want toplay the game. Eventually I will probably buy a Jap 3DS.

PSVita software seems to be selling "well enough" to guarantee more support from the mid and small developers that work on the system. Most games don't have legs because they're not the kind of games that have good legs.

Do we know if God Eater 2 has already reached 400k?

darkwing

if the Vita is outselling the PS4, you really can say console gaming is dead in Japan

unless MS buys MH, KH, FFVII Remake etc...

If you think Sony's intention is to write off the JP market, I have a bridge to sell to you...
There's no intention to "write off" the Japanese market. Sales are sales, systems are revenue sources. At the same time, launching later in the country was clear signal of its diminished importance relative to other markets.

HardRojo

Poor numbers for PS4, guess Japan will only be interested in it come next year when Japan oriented games are released.

Great to see Vita holding up well after many weeks, that's a good sign.

Lady Gaia

I'm surprised at the strong negativity about PS4 sales here. Adjusted per capita, that's equivalent to more than 350k here in a month. It's certainly not huge, but it would seem reasonable if you assume launch demand has been satisfied and this is a steady run rate until more compelling titles reach the market.

Namikaze

I wish SS had a bigger opening.

PS4 drop was expected but it's still at the top for now. Vita sales are higher than I expected.

Tripon

Uh, I think you may want to rethink your stance, given what's going on with PS4 and Vita.

I would say they are really focused on the West year. I almost feel like saying let's wait until TSG. Haha....

There's no intention to "write off" the Japanese market. Sales are sales, systems are revenue sources. At the same time, launching later in the country was clear signal of its diminished importance relative to other markets.

It may not be their intention, but they're doing a good job of it anyway.

Right, Sony being played the hand they're dealt with. But to imply that Sony's strategy was to just ignore Japan like the post I responded to, that I find hard to believe.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm surprised at the strong negativity about PS4 sales here. Adjusted per capita, that's equivalent to more than 350k here in a month. It's certainly not huge, but it would seem reasonable if you assume launch demand has been satisfied and this is a steady run rate until more compelling titles reach the market.

A steady run rate?

Quite the assumption considering the trajectory.

TheChaos0

Those double pack sales are 11.025*2 or 22.050*2?

11-13k is quite bad tbh.

PSVita software seems to be selling "well enough" to guarantee more support from the mid and small developers that work on the system. Most games don't have legs because they're not the kind of games that have good legs.

Do we know if God Eater 2 has already reached 400k?

Those are individual SKU's so 22k x 2, if you want to know how many individual games were sold.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That depends on who you ask.

I'm not really sure how this is up for argument. They prioritized other regions first, its why Japan was the last major release out of all the regions in the first place.

They honestly should have probably waited even longer. It was obvious to everybody that the content isnt there yet. Don't know how the math works but I would have to imagine that they're making more money on every console sold in the US/EU at this point then they would be in Japan.

Hoodbury

Anecdotal, but I was in my local Best Buy yesterday, and they had 8 PS4s sitting on the shelf. A few days before that my nearest Walmart had 4 sitting there. Is the U.S. finally getting more persistent stock overall or was this a chance occurrence?

Hmm, if you go to bestbuy.com and look at PS4 availability in your area does it say your store has them? My 25 mile radius of Best Buys never seem to have any. I wonder how accurate that is and if I should just go to the store by my house every once in awhile to see if they have any?

Monster Hunter Frontier still exists for Vita: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201403/12049736.html

It looks like it'll share the same servers with PS3, and PC players.

can't wait for it to be released so we can see the
unit hardware increase
Capcom seems to be putting some effort into this port, it has potential, sharing servers with PC is a good thing.

Imagine playing Frontier on Wii U. HELLO IS ANYONE THERE :lol

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Terrible, but expected low numbers for the ps4. As long as there is no games for it, it will continue to drop imo.

kswiston

Considering the fact that all of those expensive money-hatted/fully funded 360 JRPGs were failures in Japan, I'm not sure why people are expecting Microsoft to repeat that move. Vesperia and Star Ocean 4 were way down compared to previous entries. Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, the Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, etc didn't due well enough to warrant a second game (unless you count the Blue Dragon portable spin offs). Microsoft only managed an extra 1M units over the zero effort they put into the OG Xbox, and the PS3 completely claimed the console JRPG mantle by the end of 2009 despite all the maneuvering. What incentive do they have to bother with Japan?

First three weeks performances of the most recent system launches accordingto Famitsu

3DS (¥25.000) - LD: February 26th, 2011*
209.623 ( -44.1%)

PSV (¥24.980 / ¥29.980) - LD: December 17th, 2011*
72.479 ( -77.7%)

Wii U (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - LD: December 8th, 2012
130.653 ( -57.7%)

PS4 LD: (¥41.979 / ¥46.179) - February 22nd, 2014
52.697 (-83.6%)

Wow, big drop for PS4. What is coming for it?

Darius

Banned
software sells hardware and games like Knack and Killzone aren´t exactly games that appeal to the Japanese market. Knack while developed by SCEJ has the same issues as Puppeteer which was a SCEJ game as well, that it simply isn´t appealing to a lot of Japanese gamers even the artstyle doesn´t look like very Japanese. As of right now PS4s performance is mainly Sonys own fault. Sony should invest more in their Japanese studios and develop appealing games instead of trying to westernize everything to such an extent that even Knack looks like it could have been a SCEA game. The Japanese console market isn´t dead, there is just a severe lack of appealing games. On one side we have a system that basically just has 1st and 2nd party games but are among the most popular games in Japan, on the other side all 3rd party games. The only system that actually has a little balance in this matter is 3DS.

Metallix87

Anyone that looks at the industry could tell you that is what is happening IMO .
This has been happening since the PS3 days and going to keep on going this way .
I was saying them making the right call was debatable. I'm sure Japanese gamers, for example, disagree.

The only thing that could move PS4s in Japan is if they take an interest in some Western franchises. Nothing else seems to coming until at least 2015.

prag16

Banned
Hmm, if you go to bestbuy.com and look at PS4 availability in your area does it say your store has them? My 25 mile radius of Best Buys never seem to have any. I wonder how accurate that is and if I should just go to the store by my house every once in awhile to see if they have any?

On the website, without even asking me for a store, the product page just tells me "Not available for store pickup", period. Can't hurt to give them a call and ask.

EDIT: Okay, I was able to search for stores on the bestbuy website. It says "IN STORE ONLY" for 9 of the 10 stores that show up on the first page of results. I guess it means it's there, but you can't reserve it online for store pickup for some reason.

I was saying them making the right call was debatable. I'm sure Japanese gamers, for example, disagree.
I'm sure Sony didn't expect much from the Japanese launch, but they had to make a token effort to appease the most hardcore fans. Especially since they launched everywhere else already.

Top Bottom