• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2014 (Mar 03 - Mar 09)

wotta

Seems a very very quiet week all round. Was it a holiday or was there bad weather? Just seems very unusual for even 3DS to sell so little.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Using Famitsu numbers

Week 10 sales of Knack - 14,052
Week 10 PS4 sales - 30,766

Hypotesis: Knack sales are basically enitrely due to the First Limited Pack, again (which sounds reasonable)

Week 10 PS4 normal SKU sales - 16,714

Considering how Limited SKUs are ending...this seem quite bad. I can see PS4 being aroun 15k-20k next week, staying quite steady the week after (MGS), and then...new weekly decrease, till the 10k mark, if not lower.

I see 3 platforms doing numbers you'd expect from a second-choice platform (PS4, PSV, 3DS) and everything else is doing End of Life numbers.

I'm curious if Sony will bother with Soul Sacrifice 2.

Foshy

As ridiculous as it sounds, there's actually a chance that Xbox One might sell better than the PS4 in Japan if MS moneyhats all the japanese devs again.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Despite the large opening the PS4 seems to be tracking about as well as its software suggested it would. I expect it to continue its quick decline, especially after the Metal Gear bump happens and we enter a period of months of inactivity.

The Vita will probably continue to do all right (by modern standards) this month given it at least has a lot of content coming out even if most of it isn't very notable, if for no other reason than it is still likely quite a bit below its potential saturation point, but unlike the later years of the PSP and DS I don't expect the overall narrative to change even if we end up with weeks where the Vita overtakes the 3DS once in a blue moon.

wrowa

cmbadv25.jpg

But it feels good how narrative have changed from "when will Sony discontinue it?" to "it won't outsell 3DS lifetime"

How exactly am I moving a goal post? And I've never claimed that Sony would discontinue the Vita either - to the contrary, I always thought it was likely that similar to the PSP the Vita would have a longer time on the market, simply because its hardware won't be outdated as quickly.

yon61

So long as PS4 can sell over 500k by the end of March it's still tracking ahead of expectations. Keep in mind for the PS4 even if it's only modestly successful in Japan ala the PS3 it will still get support.

And PS4 isn't struggling the way PS3 did at launch, these numbers are still acceptable when you consider that it's not the holidays.

It will be lucky to sell half of what the PS3 has.

The important question is how big does the global PS4 installed bade have to be for SE to release FFXV because that is really the only announced upcoming title that has any chance of moving significant quantities of hardware.
I think the shipments of XIII were in the realm of 6 or 7M? Roughly split 1/3 Japan, NA, EU, based on NPD and Famitsu, from memory?

Assuming the brand hasn't been damaged too much they probably want and expect something along the lines of 4-5M from Western markets for XV too? Cumulative installed base is around 9-10M for the two systems, they'd probably want it to be double that, getting a something like 25% attach rate?

FLAguy954

First three weeks performances of the most recent system launches accordingto Famitsu

3DS (¥25.000) - LD: February 26th, 2011*
209.623 ( -44.1%)

PSV (¥24.980 / ¥29.980) - LD: December 17th, 2011*
72.479 ( -77.7%)

Wii U (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - LD: December 8th, 2012
130.653 ( -57.7%)

PS4 LD: (¥41.979 / ¥46.179) - February 22nd, 2014
52.697 (-83.6%)

Fucking ouch at that PS4 drop-off. It is even more steep than the Vita's initial drop-off.

Only thing that will bump 3DS sales is if it adopts interesting software that, fundamentally, falls outside of its intended design. Basically, that it gets games that no one was really expecting it to get - not traditional platformers; not jRPGs; but titles that would attract consumers that would not have picked up the handheld otherwise because they never thought those titles would come to the 3DS to begin with.

As I feared, the PS4 is struggling just like the WiiU for early adoption. It's actually worse because there's nothing good from SCEJ at launch, while Nintendo put out 2 decent titles which at least gave it a month or so of half decent sales before the wasteland began.

Don't see anything on the horizon at all to give the PS4 a boost either, the MGS demo will be interesting though - have we seen any PS3/PS4 comparison screens for it?

Hmm. I'm not convinced that a slightly larger lead over the XB1 worldwide was worth risking what happened to the Wii U in Japan. When people get bored of a system/write it off, it is hard to get them back. Ya, Final Fantasy XV/Kingdom Hearts 3 will eventually move units, but does Sony want to waste the first 2-3 years of the generation again waiting for those to release?

This goes back to their shifting priorities this gen. N.America and Europe are now their key markets. If Japan was still key, the system would have obviously landed with a couple of key Japan-centric titles.

However, Ground Zeroes and later, Deep Down are coming this year as the bigger Japanese titles on top of the more obscure Japanese games arriving later in the year.

darkwing

As I feared, the PS4 is struggling just like the WiiU for early adoption. Don't see anything on the horizon at all to give it a boost either. MGS demo will be interesting though.

Have we seen any PS3/PS4 comparison screens for it?

there is literally nothing in the horizon with a definite date, MGS demo is a demo

TheChaos0

from now and until the next PS4 exclusive game that japan cares about releases, in which range do you guys think the PS4 hardware will position itself'?

is 11k-13k doable? and if it it stays there, is that decent/solid or bad?

Obviously that number is bad but taking into an account the fact the software line up is very weak, it might be an acceptable number.

What's the release schedule like? From what I can see:

MGS next week
Nobunaga's Ambition next week
FFXIV April

No date 2014:

Idolmaster
Phantom Breaker
Guilty Gear Xrd
Wonderflick
Lily Bergamo
Deep Down (f2p)

No date, no year:

Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts 3
Gundam game
>????<

Ye, well, we are not getting anywhere in Japan this year, at all.

BadWolf

I see 3 platforms doing numbers you'd expect from a second-choice platform (PS4, PSV, 3DS) and everything else is doing End of Life numbers.

I'm curious if Sony will bother with Soul Sacrifice 2.

Didn't they mention SS2 already being in the works?

I think Sony should consider putting the series on PS3/PS4 as well and incorporate cross platform play between the three systems. Similar to what Helldivers is doing.

Youkai Watch is really holding on strong. Good work, Level-5.

PS4 sliding down... I guess that what happens when there isn't much to warrant a purchase outside of hype, hopes, and dreams.

Wii U... yeah, hang on there until Mario Kart zooms in.

Vita... good work. Soul Sacrifice looking pretty at the top.

3DS... still the king of Japan.

11./12. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2013.12.12} (¥4.400) - 10.508 / 1.399.320 (-27%)

Coming for MH3G's wig.

mclem

Wonder if it'll be all mobile next gen. I doubt Sony will release another handheld, and w/e Nintendo's next one will be will probably do even worse.

The burning question for me: If Sony does not release another handheld (and Nintendo does): Where will the popular third-party Vita series end up? 4DS, mobile (if viable), just die out? Where will the audience for Vita games go?

That's Nintendo's biggest growth opportunity with a followup handheld, I think. Not that it's a particularly big one, but it's something.

wotta

MCV have a partnership with Famitsu and say this:

PlayStation 4 is still the best-selling games console in Japan.

Information supplied to MCV from Famitsu shows that the hardware's install base now stands at 405,546 units strong three weeks since it launched.

The hardware is so popular that most stores are now starting to run out of stock and the console’s Knack bundle is nearly sold out.

Coxy

I'm guessing they just forgot to combine all the SKUs of Ar No Surge, though the others should be charting as well then? seems odd for it to be so low otherwise though

Somnid

Seems a very very quiet week all round. Was it a holiday or was there bad weather? Just seems very unusual for even 3DS to sell so little.

No releases.

I do wonder if the PS4 offers some ray of hope to Wii U. If Nintendo can drum up a few new partnerships they may change the narrative a bit and build an identity that way (not unlike Vita lingering due to an eclectic array of niche games).

Didn't they mention SS2 already being in the works?

I think Sony should consider putting the series on PS3/PS4 as well and incorporate cross platform play between the three systems. Similar to what Helldivers is doing.

I was under the impression that what was rumored and reported to be SS2 turned out to be SSDelta.

I think the shipments of XIII were in the realm of 6 or 7M? Roughly split 1/3 Japan, NA, EU, based on NPD and Famitsu, from memory?

Assuming the brand hasn't been damaged too much they probably want and expect something along the lines of 4-5M from Western markets for XV too? Cumulative installed base is around 9-10M for the two systems, they'd probably want it to be double that, getting a something like 25% attach rate?
I have my doubts that the Bone version of FFXV will launch at the same time as the PS4 one. No information, just a gut feeling about SE's incompetence and the unimportance of it to JRPG sales. They will really be concentrating on PS4 sales only IMO. If the game is ready in time for Xmas this year, it will be interesting to see if the PS4 installed base would support its release. I agree that they would want 20m in the wild before releasing though. I think the PS4 has a chance of doing that figure, but it isn't guaranteed and will SE want to risk lower sales of their flagship western franchise.

PS4 is having worst numbers than the Wii U first month in Japan, How can this be possible? (A bad sign for consoles in Japan?) looks like Japan is not going to have the XBO ever.. who cares?... Really good number for the PSVITA (Good bundle and a new game). 3DS as expected (Nothing new).

The Vita got a nice boost, but otherwise that's a pretty glum week. Japan is going to take more persuading to welcome the PS4 than most other countries it seems.

It will be lucky to sell half of what the PS3 has.

It's actually much more likely to outsell the PS3 actually, given that Japanese devs are seemingly more receptive to developing for it than the PS3 initially. It's not going to struggle the way the PS3 did.

I could see it doing in the same realm as the Wii when all's said and done.

DaBoss

MCV have a partnership with Famitsu and say this:
Huh? I don't think it is a partnership. That information is available to the public. It is in the OP.
The hardware is so popular that most stores are now starting to run out of stock and the console’s Knack bundle is nearly sold out.
The normal SKU is supply constrained too huh?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
No releases.

I do wonder if the PS4 offers some ray of hope to Wii U. If Nintendo can drum up a few new partnerships they may change the narrative a bit and build an identity that way (not unlike Vita lingering due to an eclectic array of niche games).

too late. I said 2-3 years ago Nintendo had an opportunity to really cultivate Japanese development with Wii U given the clear shift West by its competitors.

They didn't do that, or if they tried they were massively bad at it.

BadWolf

Can't see how they will do it with the PS4 out if they weren't able to while the WiiU had a year all to itself.

Heck even the Vita has way better support than WiiU when it comes to 3rd parties, and that thing is getting stomped by the 3DS.

Obviously that number is bad but taking into an account the fact the software line up is very weak, it might be an acceptable number.

What's the release schedule like? From what I can see:

MGS next week
Nobunaga's Ambition next week
FFXIV April

No date 2014:

Idolmaster
Phantom Breaker
Guilty Gear Xrd
Wonderflick
Lily Bergamo
Deep Down (f2p)

No date, no year:

Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts 3
Gundam game
>????<

Ye, well, we are not getting anywhere in Japan this year, at all.

Maybe Shadow of the Beast too, although who knows if that'll be any good. Loved the originals on the Amiga

PS4 is having worst numbers than the Wii U first month in Japan, How can this be possible? (A bad sign for consoles in Japan?) looks like Japan is not going to have the XBO ever.. who cares?... Really good number for the PSVITA (Good bundle and a new game). 3DS as expected (Nothing new).

It looks like since the market has become far more competitive with mobile, you can't just wing it for the first year with a barren release schedule like nintendo & sony are used to being able to do.

We have also seen with nintendo that that has the knock on effect of devs not diving in, so the second year becomes as bad as the first and the vicious circle continues. Sony should dodge this bullet thanks to the western sales though

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It's actually much more likely to outsell the PS3 actually, given that Japanese devs are seemingly more receptive to developing for it than the PS3 initially. It's not going to struggle the way the PS3 did.

I'm not so sure. If you look at announced titles for PS3 in early 2007 geared towards Japan I think that list looks bigger than what it looks like now.

DaBoss

Hey Chris, there seems to be something wrong with the YTD for the PS4 in the Famitsu chart. It is showing the weekly hardware sales instead of the actual YTD.

Hopefully MGS:GZ will help push some sales for PS4 there. Seems like they arent in a rush for this gen and are holding onto last gen till theres a better lineup.

ukas

I want the old Japan back. The one where consoles actually mattered at one point and the developers were at the top of their game.

Jackano

No need to worry for ps4. Weeks after launch numbers are usually abysmal for most of systems.
I can understand the jiggling with the Wii U comparisons, thought. But, as usual: Wait & See.

Edit: Havn't checked japanese charts closely since months. 3DS is already past the stage 1 as 15M is a solid mark for Japan. To me it sounds like they will need to find new vectors to sell more and avoid saturation. Were is DQXI by the way?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
big lols if the PS4 sells less than the WiiU launch aligned

It's already way down, so you can laugh :D

Sincerly, that was expected given the circumstances (release date, price, launch titles, upcoming lineup). Not so heavily, but always expected.

Top Bottom