• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2014 (Mar 03 - Mar 09)

Good thing PS4 is selling so good WW cause Japan is a lost cause for next 2 years maybe .
It just has no games from AAA to even small budget ones like what GUST make .
PS4 going to have bad sales for a few years and the blame lies on most companies in Japan .

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
#Champion
#BeastMode
2014 should be renamed to 20V1T4.

In more Serious note, Please come to the west Ar no Surge! We might lessen the burn of you bombing on Japan.

Sadly I could see KT looking at those sales and saying "Welp, not worth the effort," :(

Espada

Yeah I am firmly on the Japan console development is largely doomed bandwagon. Mega AAA titles geared towards the west will still exist- everything else.....I dunno.

Yeah, the market in Japan doesn't seem to care for anything but mobile and handhelds. They shouldn't invest too many units to a nearly dead gaming region.
Sony should do a better job of supporting their console, this anemic situation is pathetic.

phanphare

Banned
wow these numbers are really depressing save for the Vita. good on Vita though! it's the only thing saving this thread from needing a eulogy...

the PS4 is plummeting. curious to see where it lands but damn.
the 3DS is slipping slowly
and the Wii U is the Wii U

3DS software is still doing great because it has a big install base, I agree. While it's still around, it's a perfectly viable platform to develop on (and to a lesser extent, Vita too).

But no way the successor will do well. Especially with how fast mobile tech is evolving.

We shall see, at the very least though i say the current ltd of the 3DS in japan shows the current market for people willing to buy a handheld gaming device. I dont see why this would drop too much. I would think as long as they make another quality handheld device it would sell about the same (and if they find a hook for the mass market, more). I def. dont think it would drop by half. But who knows.

Takao

Banned
Honestly, I'm fully expecting the Vita to start outselling the 3DS for the rest of the month starting next week, but I could be wrong (as I often am, actually :p).

The real accomplishment of this month will be Vita TV's 100k LTD.

Spiegel

That's why I wrote weekly hardware sales. When a platform has already sold 15 million units, strong weekly sales aren't as important as long as software sales remain healthy - and that's definitely the case for the 3DS. The 3DS might be reaching market saturation, but its userbase is still very healthy and active.

Sorry, I meant hardware sales.

Sustained hardware trends (positive or negative) are obviously very important for a system.

Lexxism

I blame the price tag for the 3DS games. NCL needs to lower them. Aren't they selling for the equivalent of £$39.99 in Japan?? £$19.99 - £$29.99 or bust.

I'm pretty it's more expensive in Japan. It's like more than 4500 yen per 3DS games. That's like $45.

sphinx

the piano man
from now and until the next PS4 exclusive game that japan cares about releases, in which range do you guys think the PS4 hardware will position itself'?

is 11k-13k doable? and if it it stays there, is that decent/solid or bad?

Ricky 7

3DS outsold PS4 on the Famitsu chart, that's absolutely terrible.

Honestly, I'm fully expecting the Vita to start outselling the 3DS for the rest of the month starting next week, but I could be wrong (as I often am, actually :p).

No it's possible, there's nothing big coming for the 3DS atm. There's Mario Party which will sell decently but I doubt it'll move hardware

How low can you go PS4? Will you limbo with the best of them (Wii U and 2012 Vita).

Regarding the bundled software counts / doesn't count. You can count it as much as you want as long as you realise that whatever sales numbers that result from doing so aren't reflective of real market desire for the software.

Knack's software sales shouldn't inform anyone of the desire for Knack 2 in Japan and lead to it's greenlighting. And Wii Party U doesn't mean there's still considerable thirst for such software as standalone.

Kysen

Few or no Japanese games = low sales. The launch hype only lasts so long. I'd go a step further and say sales wont pick up till the JRPGs hit.

Loudninja

from now and until the next PS4 exclusive game that japan cares about releases, in which range do you guys think the PS4 hardware will position itself'?

That would be bad to me.

Prelude.

That's the kind of excuse WiiU started with too.
Should we pretend it should sell because of cross gen ports of Tomb Raider or Assassin's Creed in your opinion?

And when will that happen? Do I need to make a chalkboard too? :p

P.S: Tell me how you really feel.
You can start making it if that makes you feel better, but you should probably wait for actual games to come out.

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of PS4 poor sales weeks to unleash your bottled up resentment.

Pooya

PS4 really needs Japanese studios to step it up. Is there even anything major announced for this year?

maybe Lily Bergamo? that's like the only ps4 only Japanese game announced that might make it this year I imagine and suda51 games don't sell much in Japan, so yeah it's not exactly "major". I'm not sure what is going to be the notable holiday title this year for ps4.

Foshy

We shall see, at the very least though i say the current ltd of the 3DS in japan shows the current market for people willing to buy a handheld gaming device. I dont see why this would drop too much. I would think as long as they make another quality handheld device it would sell about the same (and if they find a hook for the mass market, more). I def. dont think it would drop by half. But who knows.

The 3DS is a known quantity in the market with a huge install base, people have friends who own one already and buy it to play with them. When the new handheld launches, you won't have that.

urfe

I loved my 3DS, but I'd be ready for a new portable next year Nintendo.

Four years is a good run, now make it something genuinely awesome! Let's truly learn from this generation!

yon61

I just don't see how anyone could have expected PS4 to do well, there's next to nothing on the system for the Japanese audience. Console gaming is very much a Western thing now.

kswiston

There is only one week between now and the week of Ground Zeroes. I don't think hardware sales will drop to that level until April.

I'm not sure if being 12 million units behind is "close to beating". :p People are putting too much importance on weekly hardware sales.

cmbadv25.jpg

But it feels good how narrative have changed from "when will Sony discontinue it?" to "it won't outsell 3DS lifetime"

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Good thing PS4 is selling so good WW cause Japan is a lost cause for next 2 years maybe .
It just has no games from AAA to even small budget ones like what GUST make .

not so good for all those people who bought a console for japanese games, given that the only japanese games they will be playing would be made almost exclusively for a western audience.

Espada

8-11k a week is my guess. It'll probably stay that way until Japanese developers start making games that Japanese gamers give a damn about, as you said. Sony's screwed if said devs stick to the PS3 or drag their feet like they did last gen.

Not really sure what Sony's strategy was with the PS4 in Japan. Perhaps they should have waited a month an launched with MGS5 Ground Zeroes.

I suppose it doesn't help that a large number of the current Japanese PS3 developers are basically making up-rezzed PS2 games with a few modern graphics tweaks, and therefore have no reason to switch to a new, more powerful console.

fair point

Well they are nearly 500k units in front of XB1 in the region before GZ's has been released. They have obviously also added a fair amount to their WW sold-through numbers to date.

I think their strategy was to release as early in Japan as was sensible. I mean they did have Knack to launch with...

Takao

Banned
maybe Lily Bergamo? that's like the only ps4 only Japanese game announced that might make it this year I imagine and suda51 games don't sell much in Japan, so yeah it's not exactly "major". I'm not sure what is going to be the notable holiday title this year for ps4.

Final Fantasy XV: Noctis Prologus

BadWolf

Very nice Vita numbers, would have never thought it would come back like this.

Soul Sacrifice numbers are disappointing, the game itself looks great though.

Scum

The Vita has been getting a steady stream of games for the last two months or so hasn't it? Like three or four games a month, right??

I'm pretty it's more expensive in Japan. It's like more than 4500 yen per 3DS games. That's like $45.

Fucking hell! Get it together, NCL. That's just absurd! D:

Dragon

Banned
not so good for all those people who bought a console for japanese games, given that the only japanese games they will be playing would be made almost exclusively for a western audience.

Anyone on GAF that thought to buy the PS4 at launch for Japanese games is crazy. Nuts even.

So home consoles are dead in Japan.

Normally I'd be happy since I prefer playing on portables much more but... The 3DS is going down and it probably won't even reach close to 3DS or PSP numbers... And the Vita... Yeah...

Wow, doesn't look good.

Wonder if it'll be all mobile next gen. I doubt Sony will release another handheld, and w/e Nintendo's next one will be will probably do even worse.

RiP Japan, I'll miss your games.

Seriously though I wish I could read some Japanese impressions on GTAV with how well it's doing there. Especially about what they think of the characters.

Sadly I could see KT looking at those sales and saying "Welp, not worth the effort," :(

I am eternally positive for this game. Unlike Ciel, this is not a F2P game designed to leech money from otakus (pardon the term).

I would buy this even as a digital only scenario happens, like the Atelier games.

kswiston

Well they are nearly 500k units in front of XB1 in the region before GZ's has been released. They have obviously also added a fair amount to their WW sold-through numbers to date.

I think their strategy was to release as early in Japan as was sensible. I mean they did have Knack to launch with...

Hmm. I'm not convinced that a slightly larger lead over the XB1 worldwide was worth risking what happened to the Wii U in Japan. When people get bored of a system/write it off, it is hard to get them back. Ya, Final Fantasy XV/Kingdom Hearts 3 will eventually move units, but does Sony want to waste the first 2-3 years of the generation again waiting for those to release?

The 3DS is a known quantity in the market with a huge install base, people have friends who own one already and buy it to play with them. When the new handheld launches, you won't have that.

Yes, but that argument can be made for every launch of a system thats a successor to another system. As long as N makes the successor to the 3DS an attractive purchase with good software, i see no reason it couldnt get about the same sales as the 3DS. It just needs to have quality software, and that same core market will buy.

The important question is how big does the global PS4 installed bade have to be for SE to release FFXV because that is really the only announced upcoming title that has any chance of moving significant quantities of hardware.

Yeah, the market in Japan doesn't seem to care for anything but mobile and handhelds. They shouldn't invest too many units to a nearly dead gaming region.
Sony should do a better job of supporting their console, this anemic situation is pathetic.

There is only so much Sony can do and they should get part of the blame but so should everyone else .
Then again Sony seems smart not to really care about Japan things going to be hard for them and not even mobile can save them .

The big and mid range IP already get most of there sales from the west anyway but don't expect much next IP from Japan .

Orgen

You can start making it if that makes you feel better, but you should probably wait for actual games to come out.

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of PS4 poor sales weeks to unleash your bottled up resentment.

And what games should boost PS4 numbers? I need material for the chalkboard :D

Funny you talk about resentment when you just jumped because I was making fun of the "you-sell-whats-on-stock" group :p

L~A

The real accomplishment of this month will be Vita TV's 100k LTD.

Don't worry, got the champagne ready and everything.
Not really, I don't like champagne.

By the way, does anyone have that graph with the Level-5 new IPs? I want to know when Youkai Watch might pass Layton (which would be quite a feat, without the casual crowd).

Give PS4 some time. It wil go lower.

:(

PS4 will be in sub 20k land very soon.

Was the Vita bump really due to that Welcome pack? Because really impressive numbers this week considering SSD didn't move a lot of units.
And I'll echo the sentiment that though 3DS hardware is taking a hefty nosedive, at least software is doing quite well and there's a healthy ecosystem there.

Pooya

Final Fantasy XV: Noctis Prologus

SE probably will take a very close look at Ground Zeroes sales too, lol. Not exactly unlikely. They said they want to have a closer connection with the player earlier in the development cycle, here is their excuse... "feedback"

Prelude.

The important question is how big does the global PS4 installed bade have to be for SE to release FFXV because that is really the only announced upcoming title that has any chance of moving significant quantities of hardware.
It's probably already big enough. I am 100% positive they didn't expect next gen to catch on so quickly.

And what games should boost PS4 numbers? I need material for the chalkboard :D

Funny you talk about resentment when you just jumped because I was making fun of the "you-sell-whats-on-stock" group :p
Uh? Where? I jumped because of your gratuitous passive aggressive "tell me how you really feel" comment.
I just said that nothing will happen when the PS4 will sell poorly, it's going to be like that for a while. It's not gonna sell just because there's a PlayStation logo on it.

Usobuko

Banned

Still way too early to tell.

Also, it doesn't have to one side or another exclusively. Some franchises like fighting games for example are equally popular in the West and Japan.

So long as PS4 can sell over 500k by the end of March it's still tracking ahead of expectations. Keep in mind for the PS4 even if it's only modestly successful in Japan ala the PS3 it will still get support.

And PS4 isn't struggling the way PS3 did at launch, these numbers are still acceptable when you consider that it's not the holidays.

Top Bottom