• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2014 (Mar 03 - Mar 09)

phanphare

Banned
too late. I said 2-3 years ago Nintendo had an opportunity to really cultivate Japanese development with Wii U given the clear shift West by its competitors.

They didn't do that, or if they tried they were massively bad at it.

perhaps the Zelda musou is Nitnendo testing the waters...albeit a little late

it was the holidays.

image.php

yon61

It's actually much more likely to outsell the PS3 actually, given that Japanese devs are seemingly more receptive to developing for it than the PS3 initially. It's not going to struggle the way the PS3 did.

I could see it doing in the same realm as the Wii when all's said and done.

Huh? PS3 had Japanese support from the off, including the high-budget console titles. What is there for PS4 when most everything is being soaked up by 3DS?

You're way optimistic.

No need to worry for ps4. Weeks after launch numbers are usually abysmal for most of systems.
I can understand the jiggling with the Wii U comparisons, thought. But, as usual: Wait & See.

At the very least the sales are going to be in the toilet right up to mid summer

Vita soft doesn't see to be selling.
3ds soft is selling well. Hardware needs a revision to boost up sales.
PS4- I'm not sure what is going on; I didn't expect it too drop-off so quickly.

I'm very curious about Youkai Watch, as in i want toplay the game. Eventually I will probably buy a Jap 3DS.

Davey Cakes

People say that the 2DS wouldn't do much in Japan but I still want to see Nintendo release it there. Just out of curiosity. Maybe it actually would do okay considering the price.

I wonder how the Japanese would take to the form factor as well.

kinggroin

Banned
So long as PS4 can sell over 500k by the end of March it's still tracking ahead of expectations. Keep in mind for the PS4 even if it's only modestly successful in Japan ala the PS3 it will still get support.

And PS4 isn't struggling the way PS3 did at launch, these numbers are still acceptable when you consider that it's not the holidays.

People said the same shit for the Wii U. Said it longer even since it sold well for longer.

The speed of the trend is the problem. Its dropping hard and fast.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Huh? PS3 had Japanese support from the off, including the high-budget console titles. What is there for PS4 when most everything is being soaked up by 3DS?

You're way optimistic.

Right. A lot of revisionist history there. Yes, the PS3 launch was bad, but there was a lot of significant support announced and being developed at this time in 2007.

wotta

Are Sony doing a standard Ground Zeroes bundle in Japan? (not just the one with the special console, although that's very limited anyway is it not?)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Right. A lot of revisionist history there. Yes, the PS3 launch was bad, but there was a lot of significant support announced and being developed at this time in 2007.

Anyone with a list of PS3 titles announced around the same time?
I know, list warz, but just to put things in perspective.

Trago

What's the release schedule looking like for the PS4 in Japan? There's gotta be something that they're looking forward to in the next month or two.

06./03. [3DS] Fossil Fighters: Infinite Gear <RPG> (Nintendo) {2014.02.27} (¥4.800) - 22.210 / 80.538 (-62%)
07. / 02. [NDS] Super Fossil Fighters (Nintendo) {18/11/10} - 26.195 / 69.024 (-39%)
07./03. [NDS] We're Fossil Diggers (Nintendo) - 22,319 / 58,000

Not sure how I feel about this. Would love for the new game to end up with 250K, which it seems the 1st two did.

What's the release schedule looking like for the PS4 in Japan? There's gotta be something that they're looking forward to in the next month or two.

Ground Zeroes, FFXIV re-re-release, and ... Deep Down? Is there anything else?

kswiston

Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid, and presumably whatever is next from Resident Evil is still better support than the Wii U can expect. Like the PS3, PS4 will benefit from the fact that all AAA titles with a major western component to their sales are pretty much obligated to appear on the system.

L~A

Something I just noticed...

10./14. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800) - 10.708 / 3.984.832 (-14%)
11./12. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2013.12.12} (¥4.400) - 10.508 / 1.399.320 (-27%)

Pokémon X and Y finally outsold Puzzle & Dragons Z after lagging behind quite a bit since P&D launch, iirc.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
cmbadv25.jpg

But it feels good how narrative have changed from "when will Sony discontinue it?" to "it won't outsell 3DS lifetime"

Tell me how you feel about the narrative changing from "The ps4 will outsell ps3 and save Japan" to "It doesn't matter if it sells badly because 'Murica, Yurop and where else will 3rd parties go?"

I won't say there was significant support , yeah things get announced but that don't mean much if they take forever to come out like FFXIII for eg .

I'm not so sure. If you look at announced titles for PS3 in early 2007 geared towards Japan I think that list looks bigger than what it looks like now.

I'm honestly trying to think of titles we'd known about by this point in 2007 and all I come up with are:

GT 6
Gundam Musou
Final Fantasy XIII
MGS4
White Knight Story
Ridge Racer
Valkyria Chronicles
Eternal Sonata
Monster Hunter 3 (lol)

Of those, only 3 were released before the end of 2007.People here seem to be dismissive of MGS but it seems to be much more substantial than any of the 2006/2007 PS3 titles to be.

schuelma

Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid, and presumably whatever is next from Resident Evil is still better support than the Wii U can expect. Like the PS3, PS4 will benefit from the fact that all AAA titles with a major western component to their sales are pretty much obligated to appear on the system.

Well yes- Xbone will probably get better support than Wii U in Japan. My point is so far there is little evidence that those titles are coming anytime soon. There is no presence of big Japanese developed games looking like they are in active development right now in the near term.

Is PS4 more or less readily available in Japan? Because if it is than that's a really, really bad sign and if it isn't I'm starting to wonder where on earth (literally) Sony ships all those PS4 units.

Well yes- Xbone will probably get better support than Wii U in Japan. My point is so far there is little evidence that those titles are coming anytime soon. There is no presence of big Japanese developed games looking like they are in active development right now in the near term.

I don't even think they going to release those games on Xbox in Japan lol .
Japan need games for PS4 and i don't mean just announcing stuff because that don't help either .

darkwing

As ridiculous as it sounds, there's actually a chance that Xbox One might sell better than the PS4 in Japan if MS moneyhats all the japanese devs again.

it may be possible since MS has a huge warchest and it may be the reason why we haven't seen any Japanese games for the PS4 since MS has bought exclusives just like TF

TheChaos0

I'm honestly trying to think of titles we'd known about by this point in 2007 and all I come up with are:

GT 6
Gundam Musou
Final Fantasy XIII
MGS4
White Knight Story
Ridge Racer
Valkyria Chronicles
Eternal Sonata
Monster Hunter 3 (lol)

Of those, only 3 were released before the end of 2007.People here seem to be dismissive of MGS but it seems to be much more substantial than any of the 2006/2007 PS3 titles to be.

If it was the full game... but it's just a prologue. People are not sure how well it's going to do because of that. (at least I am)

Tripon

Probably smart of sony to not give a shit about Japan. They dont really care about PS4 either and probably woulndt even with better software. Rest of the world is more important now...

If you think Sony's intention is to write off the JP market, I have a bridge to sell to you...

BlackJace

BlazBlue's producer doesn't even know when or if the Xbone is releasing in Japan lol. The 3rd party support for Wii u wont be THAT bad.

I think.

prag16

Banned
Come on man.. It's pretty obvious from reports it wasn't that supply constrained.

If that's the case, these are putrid numbers for the PS4.

I never ever thought I'd say this, but when all is said and done, is the possibility of Wii U LTD > PS4 LTD actually on the table??

I'd still lean towards "no", but the precipitous early decline makes me wonder. Regardless, we'll have a better picture in a couple months when we see what type of baseline PS4 finds.

schuelma

If it was the full game... but it's just a prologue. People are not sure how well it's going to do because of that. (at least I am)

Not to mention its multi platform and will probably get outsold by the PS3 version.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wii U's flat lining at this point. :(
Yeah at this point there's zero healthy home consoles on the market.

Now, admittedly the PS3 is still moving software, but barring a major turnaround they're going to have to handle the PS3 -> PS4 transition with a lot less promising software overall, even if we assume most of the remaining suspects show up, simply by the virtue of how many less Japanese developers there are that make console titles at this point.

Top Bottom