• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2016 (Mar 07 - Mar 13)

Thanks. Are those new games or ports? And are those numbers LTD from Dengeki? (dont they track Otomoe games every month?). But if they are ports, especially 3rd time ports (and 2nd time on a portable system), sales would be expected to be much lower. I dont think i would concidered that as a collapse in that sense. Same thing with Twilight Princess now for example. Sold over 550k on Wii alone, but the LTD on WiiU might not be 100k. I wouldnt concider that as a collapse.

Famitsu numbers. They are sequels (as in the case of DL); semi-sequels (Amnesia); enhanced versions with bonus contents (Hakuoki), that typically have a nice market in the otome niche (see basically every PSP game in the genre); re-imagination of the series (Hakuoki SSL). There's only one porting, Norn9, but as you probably know, being a porting doesn't mean sell badly, as PSP games showed. The TP comparison is completely out of place, given the size of the market (it's easier to collapse from 550k units than from 20k units) and the completely different genre, and type of product.

test_account

XP-39C²
Famitsu numbers. They are sequels (as in the case of DL); semi-sequels (Amnesia); enhanced versions with bonus contents (Hakuoki), that typically have a nice market in the otome niche (see basically every PSP game in the genre); re-imagination of the series (Hakuoki SSL). There's only one porting, Norn9, but as you probably know, being a porting doesn't mean sell badly, as PSP games showed. The TP comparison is completely out of place, given the size of the market (it's easier to collapse from 550k units than from 20k units) and the completely different genre, and type of product.
I see. What is a semi sequel by the way?

The comparison with Twilight Princess is that people can get tired of buying and playing the same game, even if some new stuff is added to it, and therefor sales are expected to be lower. This is something that applies to all market sizes, type of genre and type of game, so its not out of place at all. Could be any game that sees a 2nd+ release, i just mentioned that one because its a remake and it was released last week.

It doesnt really matter that much if the original game sold 500k or 20k because the drop isnt about raw number, its about people not wanting to buy basically the same games over again. This situation is present regardless of what the original game sold. Going from 500k to 200k, or from 20k to 10k can be an equal example/situation because naturally its indeed a much higher chance that a 500k game can drop more in raw numbers. Porting games from consoles to portable or vice versa could also have a different effect on sales than going from console to console, or portable to portable.

And sure, ports can also do well, but they can also do poorly. Could also be different factors to why some ports does better than others (Zelda OoT 3DS did a lot better than Wind Waker for WiiU for example for various of reasons despite both being Zelda remakes). For sequels, i think similar results might have been expected, but for enhanced ports i'm not sure if it was expected for those Vita games to do similar to what the PSP games did for different reasons.

casiopao

Well, at least i've asked :)

Thanks. Are those new games or ports? And are those numbers LTD from Dengeki? (dont they track Otomoe games every month?). But if they are ports, especially 3rd time ports (and 2nd time on a portable system), sales would be expected to be much lower. I dont think i would concidered that as a collapse in that sense. Same thing with Twilight Princess now for example. Sold over 550k on Wii alone, but the LTD on WiiU might not be 100k. I wouldnt concider that as a collapse.

Some is new, some is enhanced ports(like DeSu Overclocked kind of game.). I would not said it is collapse indeed. But it is still decrease in sales there. Disappointing performance would be better choice word here.^_^

Penny for u Hakuouki there, i would argue here that the reason for its drop in sales would be more on how Otome games growth is dropping here as there are more competitors and this time, the release is not supported by anime which is why the sales drop heavily.(Not to mention, there is huge problem of IP fatigue that time on Hakuouki as it had been squeezed out of all its potential.^_^)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nope. I think that's just a dying series. It looked like an honest attempt for it to do well and Media Vision is a solid developer.

I'd be surprised if we see another, though it's not impossible since Namco seems to have really low standards when greenlighting game. Probably not Media Vision again though since they seem a bit more expensive than pulling a few interns together like they seem to do for some of their games.

Is there also some visual "evidence" for Summon Night 6s performance, like we have for Digimon?

No evidence, but just wanted to share this:

PS1 Summon Night - 18,426
PS1 Summon Night 2 - 76,328
PS2 Summon Night 3 - 152,285
PS2 Summon Night 4 - 116,761
PSP Summon Night 5 - 97,822
PSV/PS4 Summon Night 6 - 54,708

Peaked in the PS2 era and on the way back down now, though it's quite a drop off.

I think reception to Summon Night 5 wasn't great either.

test_account

XP-39C²
Some is new, some is enhanced ports(like DeSu Overclocked kind of game.). I would not said it is collapse indeed. But it is still decrease in sales there. Disappointing performance would be better choice word here.^_^
Yeah, that is possible. I dont know what were expected by those releases, but they could be more towards the disappointing range rather than being a collapse (that sounds at least like a much more serious thing for the publishers, in my opinion).

casiopao

Yeah, that is possible. I dont know what were expected by those releases, but they could be more towards the disappointing range rather than being a collapse (that sounds at least like a much more serious thing for the publishers, in my opinion).

In Hakuouki cases, it does kinda correct to mention it as collapse here as the sales drop severely however, i would said it is more due to mismanagement of the IP as the devs over saturated their products which cause product fatique there which is why the sales falls badly.

test_account

XP-39C²
In Hakuouki cases, it does kinda correct to mention it as collapse here as the sales drop severely however, i would said it is more due to mismanagement of the IP as the devs over saturated their products which cause product fatique there which is why the sales falls badly.
I see. Yeah, those can be reason for the decline.

Its also possible that publishers would consider more of those Otome games mentioned earlier as collapses as well if they had much higher expectations for them (i dont know anything what the expectations were, neither my own personal expectations for those games, so i cant say much about that :)).

Aces&Eights

OK, I meant to post this earlier, but there is an explanation. There is a famous TV program in Japan called Ametoku. My wife watches this one a lot. They like to do crazy themes and the guests often dress up in costumes. For example, there are episodes all about Dragonball or Doraemon or some non-anime nostalgic topic. Sometimes it's also about games. Last year they had an episode about Mario. See below. Yes that is Arino from GameCenter CX. Sorry for the bad images, I just aimed my camera at the TV:

c7BaI6G.jpg

2 or 3 months ago it was Street Fighter II. This one was really funny a lot of the guys were recounting how when they were Jr. High students they would do high kicks and pause to try to see Chun Lee's underpants:

IhB29Sc.jpg

And a few weeks ago it was.. you guessed it.. Momotaro Dentetsu.

Z8imkgU.jpg

They mostly used clips from the Wii game. And showed celebrities playing it. This was super effective in bringing up the nostalgia factor for previous players of the long-running series and also introducing it to a new generation.

It's not just the Wii game selling well, most sores in my town are sold out of the old games in the series too. I know this because my daughter was influenced by the program and wanted to play one of the games. We couldn't find any console versions at the stores we went to but she found the Gameboy version of game 2.

MOtMV94.jpg

She was very happy.

Later I found a loose copy of the Super Famicom one as well.

7Z3KB8M.jpg

We have been playing that.

These games used to be super common but people have been buying them up since this show aired.

So yeah.. Momotaro Dentetsu is super hot right now. Too bad it's maker, Hudson Soft, got bought out by a pachinko company. :(

Its informative and educational posts like this that keep me coming to GAF. I just love hearing stories of people across the world and their video game stories.

OT: great numbers for The Division. Didn't expect that much in Japan.

OK, I meant to post this earlier, but there is an explanation. There is a famous TV program in Japan called Ametoku. My wife watches this one a lot. They like to do crazy themes and the guests often dress up in costumes. For example, there are episodes all about Dragonball or Doraemon or some non-anime nostalgic topic. Sometimes it's also about games. Last year they had an episode about Mario. See below. Yes that is Arino from GameCenter CX. Sorry for the bad images, I just aimed my camera at the TV:

c7BaI6G.jpg

2 or 3 months ago it was Street Fighter II. This one was really funny a lot of the guys were recounting how when they were Jr. High students they would do high kicks and pause to try to see Chun Lee's underpants:

IhB29Sc.jpg

And a few weeks ago it was.. you guessed it.. Momotaro Dentetsu.

Z8imkgU.jpg

They mostly used clips from the Wii game. And showed celebrities playing it. This was super effective in bringing up the nostalgia factor for previous players of the long-running series and also introducing it to a new generation.

It's not just the Wii game selling well, most sores in my town are sold out of the old games in the series too. I know this because my daughter was influenced by the program and wanted to play one of the games. We couldn't find any console versions at the stores we went to but she found the Gameboy version of game 2.

MOtMV94.jpg

She was very happy.

Later I found a loose copy of the Super Famicom one as well.

7Z3KB8M.jpg

We have been playing that.

These games used to be super common but people have been buying them up since this show aired.

So yeah.. Momotaro Dentetsu is super hot right now. Too bad it's maker, Hudson Soft, got bought out by a pachinko company. :(

Interesting to know. Thanks for the effort of explaining it.
Sad how it won't be helping Hudson any..

Ōkami

With Famitsu retail+digitial.

• Minecraft Vita is over 950k, it should hit a million by golden week, Dragon Quest Builders still below 300k, though it should hit it next week.
  • Black Ops III will outsell Dragon Quest Heroes on PS4 by next week, just on retail the difference between the two is just 502 units.
  • Mario Maker just below 900k, those WiiU shortages really hurt the game's sales, and a million looks rather difficult now.
Also, once again using Famitsu, but not Famitsu's year this are the 10 best selling games of the year so far, retail only.
  1. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo: 274.338
  2. [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo: 192.961*
  3. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations: 173.894
  4. [PSV] Kan Colle Kai : 169.596
  5. [3DS] Monster Strike: 147.541
  6. [PS4 ] Yakuza: Kiwami: 135.634*
  7. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final: 127.761*
  8. [WIU] Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash: 123.501
  9. [WIU] Splatoon: 118.780
  10. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games: 101.781
*data not up to date.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Ōkami;198474589 said:
With Famitsu retail+digitial.

• Mario Maker just below 900k, those WiiU shortages really hurt the game's sales, and a million looks rather difficult now.

Mario Maker will sell over one million. That is. This was a given since launch. I Can't believe some guys still doubt it.

Even if Wii U shortages hurt it, the million remain a death mark for Mario Maker. And will sell even well over 1 million.

Mory Dunz

Speaking of digital...

on the weekly wii u eshop rankings, DQ10 was above minecraft. Just normal varience or did DQ get some kind of update. And stuff like Mario RPG and PM64 are still hanging around heh. Maybe still because of the direct or something else.

On weekly eshop for 3ds, the pokemon games remain at the top (except for green), but I've noticed detective pikachu is starting to drop. It's at number 15.

I really wonder how that game did. It'd be nice to get an update.
And one for minecraft too

01./00. [PS4] Tom Clancy's The Division <ADV> (Ubisoft) {2016.03.10} (¥8.400) - 80.703 / NEW
The Division did really well

02./00. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2016.03.10} (¥5.700) - 52.282 / NEW
quite a decent improvement over WWHD.

03./00. [PSV] Summon Night 6: Lost Borders # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.03.10} (¥6.800) - 40.076 / NEW
06./00. [PS4] Summon Night 6: Lost Borders <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.03.10} (¥7.200) - 16.750 / NEW
Quite a drop compared to the previous game

04./00. [3DS] Medabots Girls Mission: Metabee Ver. / Rokusho Ver. <RPG> (Rocket Company) {2016.03.10} (¥5.800) - 20.142 / NEW
Similar number to the past game. they might have hoped for more though

10./09. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700) - 10.331 / 1.291.418 (-6%)
11./11. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.400) - 8.460 / 693.047 (+2%)
14./20. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥5.800) - 5.803 / 2.710.935 (-8%)
17./16. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5) {2015.07.11} (¥4.600) - 4.869 / 2.228.384 (-25%)
18./19. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo # <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥5.980) - 4.732 / 281.265 (-25%)
20./27. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.571) - 4.088 / 2.775.025
All the legs.
Splatoon still over 10K despite the Wii-U shortage and pokemon making a sudden return.

PS4 | 27.341
3DS # | 26.545
Pretty stable for both
PSV # | 20.810
quite a drop for Vita
WIU | 4.629
more shortage problems. It's just sad now, come now nintendo
XB1 | 77
That drop. Quite a lucky number... I guess?

famitsu
21./29. [WII] Momotaro Dentetsu 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki [1/1][Nintendo Selects] <TBL> (Hudson) {2011.01.20} (¥2.667) - 3.774 / 304.918 <80-100%> (+3%)
Who would guessed we would see a Wii hudson title here. that program certainly helped it return. Too bad it won't help Hudson any

Speaking of digital...

on the weekly wii u eshop rankings, DQ10 was above minecraft. Just normal varience or did DQ get some kind of update. And stuff like Mario RPG and PM64 are still hanging around heh. Maybe still because of the direct or something else.

On weekly eshop for 3ds, the pokemon games remain at the top (except for green), but I've noticed detective pikachu is starting to drop. It's at number 15.

I really wonder how that game did. It'd be nice to get an update.
And one for minecraft too

DQX is free to download until end of this month

Dystify

Mario Maker will sell over one million. That is. This was a given since launch. I Can't believe some guys still doubt it.

Even if Wii U shortages hurt it, the million remain a death mark for Mario Maker. And will sell even well over 1 million.

Yeah, I also think a million is pretty much a lock right now... It'd have to drop like a rock to not sell 100k over the next year until WiiU fully stops selling. I think it'll sell a bit more per week once those WiiU shortages are gone.

The only thing I see that could stop it from selling a million is a port for NX that's announced soon with more features etc...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
With western games consistently succeeding now, I wonder if more JP console games are going to start to draw on them more often.

God, I hope not... we've had enough of that nightmare last gen. Best part of JP console games are just how different they are from western AAA.

I'm definitely a bit upset that Summon Night 6 bombed, though. Never expected a game like that to even get a release, and it looks beautiful compared to most SRPGs. Here's hoping it will at least get a US release.

Hawkens

Given how much better Zelda TPHD is doing than WWHD,(in Japan, but especially in the US) I think maybe Nintendo should think about bundling the NX with limited edition amibos. Maybe think about starting off with 5 different amibos. If you want them all, you have to buy 5 NXs. Maybe think about having them be hidden until you open the box, so that people have to buy 10-15 NXs just to get the 5 amibos.

@MUWANdo

Banned

One of the Nikkei (IIRC) rumours that came out of the Konami drama last year is that Nintendo has licensed Momotaro Dentetsu from Konami and is working on a new 3DS game, possibly in cooperation with series creator/co-owner Akira Sakuma.

I wonder if this TV spot wasn't stealth marketing for an impending game.

horuhe

Did you remember the talk event about Dead or Alive at Sofmap? They were giving this postcard to everyone who was present at the meeting.

Takajima Stores started the promotion of Dragon Quest Monsters and Dark Souls. They push their clients to pre-order these games during this week to receive some benefits, as a booking price instead of retail.

DKHF

Given how much better Zelda TPHD is doing than WWHD,(in Japan, but especially in the US) I think maybe Nintendo should think about bundling the NX with limited edition amibos. Maybe think about starting off with 5 different amibos. If you want them all, you have to buy 5 NXs. Maybe think about having them be hidden until you open the box, so that people have to buy 10-15 NXs just to get the 5 amibos.
Seriously? Asking collectors to buy several likely $300+ USD consoles for amiibos is too much and only the most hardcore would consider it. But even then a lot of them would buy them off scalpers/online. If you're joking, my mistake.

hiska-kun

Famitsu PlayStation Store Digital Estimates (Feb 2 - Feb 28)

[PSV] Kan Colle Kai - 15,635
[PS4] Street Fighter V - 14,955
[PSV] Dragon Quest Builders - 12,305
[PS4] DragonQuest Builders - 11,830
[PS4] Attack on Titan - 11,780
[PS4] Project Setsuna - 10,525
[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 10,065

____

At least SFV sold decently digital.

noobie

Banned
Famitsu PlayStation Store Digital Estimates (Feb 2 - Feb 28)

[PSV] Kan Colle Kai - 15,635
[PS4] Street Fighter V - 14,955
[PSV] Dragon Quest Builders - 12,305
[PS4] DragonQuest Builders - 11,830
[PS4] Attack on Titan - 11,780
[PS4] Project Setsuna - 10,525
[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 10,065

____

At least SFV sold decently digital.
All titles have put some decent digital numbers including DQB and AoT and PS

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
One of the Nikkei (IIRC) rumours that came out of the Konami drama last year is that Nintendo has licensed Momotaro Dentetsu from Konami and is working on a new 3DS game, possibly in cooperation with series creator/co-owner Akira Sakuma.

I wonder if this TV spot wasn't stealth marketing for an impending game.

It was never specified to be a 3DS game.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
very real and its kind of funny splatoon and mario maker were the 1 2 punch wii u needed in japan and it effectively cleared out nintendo's wii u stock in japan.

What is More insane is how Splatoon is still selling >10K on a console which Sell only ~4,000 in weekly sales...

Imagine if Wii U won't have shortages Problem.

The shortage thing is odd I thought people said it would end by March? If Japan is getting 1/4 of the world shipment (conservative guess) then the total worldwide volume would still be barely enough to replenish US stocks alone once they run down. Can we expect knock on effects worldwide before this is resolved?

Top Bottom