• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2017 (Mar 06 - Mar 12)

wrowa

Sounds like most japanese console launches tbh - i think the Holiday lineup will be strong but there isnt much incentive for smaller devs/IPs to risk releases before some of the bigger first party titles and DQ/MH have expanded the market.

3DS didnt look too good in its first couple months - then the Fall conference happened and the games just started showing up.

3DS started with Layton, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, MGS3, Tales of the Abyss, it had two RE games announced prior to its launch and there was a huge list of game series that were supposed to be on 3DS.

Switch had Bomberman.

Like, seriously, 3DS's launch or near launch line up was heaven compared to what is announced for Switch right now. Even traditionally strong Nintendo supporters like Level 5 or Capcom are currently nearly absent.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The Switch wishes is could have Dead or Alive, One Piece, Resident Evil and Tales right now.

3DS really needed those games because of the abysmal first party releases until OoT 3D and 3DLand/MK7 later. BotW/MK8D and Splatoon 2 already put the Switch on a level where it can sustain itself until other games follow.

Oregano

Yeah, I'm not actually worried about Switch support yet.

I don't think it's guaranteed, but certainly this is pretty similar to the rate of meainingful support every dedicated platform since the 3DS has received.

If we're sitting here in October and things look the same, it's probably time to pull all the panic alarms.

We'd have to actually go back but it really doesn't strike me as comparable to Vita or PS4,maybe Wii U but that's because Wii U release stopped two months after it released.

3DS really needed those games because of the abysmal first party releases until OoT 3D and 3DLand/MK7 later. BotW/MK8D and Splatoon 2 already put the Switch on a level where it can sustain itself until other games follow.

I don't think that's a real defence. It's not like First Party releases mean third parties can't also release games.

cw_sasuke

3DS started with Layton, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, MGS3, Tales of the Abyss, it had two RE games announced prior to its launch and there was a huge list of game series that were supposed to be on 3DS.

Switch had Bomberman.

Like, seriously, 3DS's launch or near launch line up was heaven compared to what is announced for Switch right now. Even traditionally strong Nintendo supporters like Level 5 or Capcom are currently nearly absent.

Impressive on paper...but at the end only that impressive because Nintendo only had stuff like Nintendogs or Steel Diver at launch. Most of the titles are ports and didnt have mayor impact on the systems performance tbh - DQ Heroes 1-2 level for most of them. Layton 5 is the one big outlier - as an exclusive main title of a million selling IPs.

I agree that some big supporters of the past are rather quite for now - but the fact is that Zelda is dominating this launch lineup worldwide and the system is selling alone because of it. There just isnt much reason to promote any upcoming titles right now, since most of them decided to skip the launch period for understandable reasons.

There is a reason all the 3DS titles listet never did get any follow ups on 3DS...i would say they learnt from that mistake and are waiting until the first party big hitters have been launched.

Oregano

Impressive on paper...but at the end only that impressive because Nintendo only had stuff like Nintendogs or Steel Diver at launch. Most of the titles are ports and didnt have mayor impact on the systems performance tbh - DQ Heroes 1-2 level for most of them. Layton 5 is the one big outlier - as an exclusive main title of a million selling IPs.

I agree that some big supporters of the past are rather quite for now - but the fact is that Zelda is dominating this launch lineup worldwide and the system is selling alone because of it. There just isnt much reason to promote any upcoming titles right now, since most of them decided to skip the launch period for understandable reasons.

There is a reason all the 3DS titles listet never did get any follow ups on 3DS...i would say they learnt from that mistake and are waiting until the first party big hitters have been launched.

Or more likely they learnt their lesson and won't even bother with Nintendo's platform this time around.

cw_sasuke

I don't think that's a real defence. It's not like First Party releases mean third parties can't also release games.

Its common sense. Either release a title competing with Zelda on a 500k-1m userbase....or just wait a couple months, maybe even until the Holidays and release them on 3-4m userbase and Nintendo having launched their online platform ?

There just isnt much benefit for Thirds...or even Nintendo for them to drop the titles early - which again would result in lackluster sales and the IPs never coming back 3DS style.
Or more likely they learnt their lesson and won't even bother with Nintendo's platform this time around.
Could also be - but its rather unlikely considering the engines Switch support and the userbase it will have at the end of its first year. From what we know DQ, SMT, Tales of are among the IPs already headed to Switch...Level 5 will likely follow soon and Capcom with MH as well. So yeah they could just all decide to drop support for the Switch after its strong launch - but i doubt it.

They just dont have any reason to be their in the first months - its a different approach compared to the Sony system, where the 3rds have to be there asap because of lackluster first party offerings for the most part.

Oregano

Its common sense. Either release a title competing with Zelda on a 500k-1m userbase....or just wait a couple months, maybe even until the Holidays and release them on 3-4m userbase and Nintendo having launched their online platform ?

There just isnt much benefit for Thirds...or even Nintendo for them to drop the titles early - which again would result in lackluster sales and the IPs never coming back 3DS style.

But Mario Odyssey releases in the holidays and they won't want to compete with that either!/s

If it was just not wanting to release at launch then we'd at least have stuff announced but we don't. Like what are the undated third party Switch games that could come out in the new 6 months? Dragonball Z Xenoverse 2?

EDIT:

Could also be - but its rather unlikely considering the engines Switch support and the userbase it will have at the end of its first year. From what we know DQ, SMT, Tales of are among the IPs already headed to Switch...Level 5 will likely follow soon and Capcom with MH as well. So yeah they could just all decide to drop support for the Switch after its strong launch - but i doubt it.

They just dont have any reason to be their in the first months - its a different approach compared to the Sony system, where the 3rds have to be there asap because of lackluster first party offerings for the most part.

Sorry but that's absolute horseshit, even/especially if that's what third parties believe. They make Playstation games because they want to make Playstation games, not because they're obligated to.

cw_sasuke

But Mario Odyssey releases in the holidays and they won't want to compete with that either!/s

How many japanese devs will drop 3D platformer competing with Mario ? The main point is the installed base - after Mario Kart/Splatoon etc, and co. the likelihood of getting solid sales on Switch will be higher than right now.

Sorry but that's absolute horseshit, even/especially if that's what third parties believe. They make Playstation games because they want to make Playstation games, not because they're obligated to.

They make games because they want to make money - and they make money on popular systems with high install bases. So they have to make sure the systems they invent in are selling.

SE is the best example this gen - FFXV selling the way it did worldwide was only possible because they made sure that everything in their Arsenal was released on PS4 to make sure that the fans owned the system before XV release. Same for KH3 and the other upcoming stuff.

Meanwhile Horii is putting DQXI on Switch because the expected userbase from the Nintendo first party titles that will be on the system.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Switch had Bomberman.

Are you referring to the list with "Persona", "Dragon Ball", "Super Robot Wars" and all that stuff? That's a bit of a dishonest comparison: the list had a big amount of games for sure, but there were also several entries that were just "series" coming to the platform with no attached game name, just the series. The 3DS initial announcement was characterised by a huge load of games appearing here and there, also heavily frontloaded, while with Wii U Nintendo tried to not announce everything in one place, with with several events (the main problem being them not having enough content - both first and third to execute it correctly). With the Switch, instead, there seems to be an in-between: an initial load, but not everything in one spot, as evidenced by the indie showcase as well as strong rumours of Smash Bros. (now corroborated by the amiibo certificates) and Pokémon coming this year.

A comparison between 3DS/PSV/Wii U/PS4 and Switch would be interesting in this sense, but we should try to set a criteria for it. Should we compare the first year lineup, or the games announced up to the first month since the console's releases? Or which other criteria?

cw_sasuke

Are you referring to the list with "Persona", "Dragon Ball", "Super Robot Wars" and all that stuff? That's a bit of a dishonest comparison: the list had a big amount of games for sure, but there were also several entries that were just "series" coming to the platform with no attached game name, just the series. The 3DS initial announcement was characterised by a huge load of games appearing here and there, also heavily frontloaded, while with Wii U Nintendo tried to not announce everything in one place, with with several events (the main problem being them not having enough content - both first and third to execute it correctly). With the Switch, instead, there seems to be an in-between: an initial load, but not everything in one spot, as evidenced by the indie showcase as well as strong rumours of Smash Bros. (now corroborated by the amiibo certificates) and Pokémon coming this year.

A comparison between 3DS/PSV/Wii U/PS4 and Switch would be interesting in this sense, but we should try to set a criteria for it. Should we compare the first year lineup, or the games announced up to the first month since the console's releases? Or which other criteria?

In addition to that ....in 2010/2011 we had a crapton of PSP titles announced that also werent hitting the 3DS. I remember some of same concerns prior to the 3DS Fall conference...where are the games ? People were wondering why PSP games that started development 12-18 month prior werent getting 3DS versions. There was a bunch of stuff ...like Type 0.

I expect it to play out in a similar fashion this time. Dont think there will be any doubt before this year is over that Switch/PS4 will be the main target for Third Partys down the line.

Oregano

How many japanese devs will drop 3D platformer competing with Mario ? The main point is the installed base - after Mario Kart/Splatoon etc, and co. the likelihood of getting solid sales on Switch will be higher than right now.

They make games because they want to make money - and they make money on popular systems with high install bases. So they have to make sure the systems they invent in are selling.

SE is the best example this gen - FFXV selling the way it did worldwide was only possible because they made sure that everything in their Arsenal was released on PS4 to make sure that the fans owned the system before XV release. Same for KH3 and the other upcoming stuff.

Meanwhile Horii is putting DQXI on Switch because the expected userbase from the Nintendo first party titles that will be on the system.

But even with DQXI on the way you're still seeing Square Enix skipping Switch for a lot of releases, not at all how they treat(ed) PS4.

On that note they're not showing the Switch version at the moment despite the fact that the other versions are getting weekly reveals.

In addition to that ....in 2010/2011 we had a crapton of PSP titles announced that also werent hitting the 3DS. I remember some of same concerns prior to the 3DS Fall conference...where are the games ? People were wondering why PSP games that started development 12-18 month prior werent getting 3DS versions. There was a bunch of stuff ...like Type 0.

I expect it to play out in a similar fashion this time. Dont think there will be any doubt before this year is over that Switch/PS4 will be the main target for Third Partys down the line.

...and those PSP games went to Vita instead of 3DS.

Eolz

sinobi expects bigger Switch shipments from Nintendo next week for Splatoon.

MHXX had a slow start comparing to MHX at gamesmaya.

Uh, forgot about how the Splatoon 2 beta might actually have an impact in Japan on HW, unlike other regions.

The first real indicator of third-party support will probably be TGS in six months.

I'm sure we'll see some stuff at E3, even from JP third parties.

Datschge

They were delayed because they werent ready. Are they trying to benefit from synergy effects if possible ? Sure, that doesnt mean they only will release them around a console game counterpart.
They initially wanted to release 5 mobile games within this FY. It's easy to say they "weren't ready". Pokemon Go absolutely changed the playing field and likely also changed how Nintendo approaches the development of those mobile games, preferring to delay them, make strong advertisement cooperation with Apple and Google respectively and heavily push related console/handheld games in marketing. Sure, AC mobile may not see a console counterpart to push, but the track record of this endeavor so far is different.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Switch is in a tough place when it comes to third parties. Nintendo doesn't pursue much of the multiplatform stuff and the technical requirements prevents taking much risk in making exclusives, especially this early. Nintendo's best hope is to start to warm up to multiplatform games more. Digimon not being announced for Switch is a bad thing, not the end of the world, but it's another miss for Nintendo. Yes I'm sure the project started before Switch came into the picture, but it's supposedly easy to port to the system and it doesn't seem to be coming out until later in the year. Will the next God Eater also skip the system? The next Dynasty Warriors? The list will simply continue to grow.

Also, if Nintendo has to utilize their IPs why not try to bring over multiplatform releases as well? Why is Koei not launching a Switch version of Musou Stars with Link and Lana? It'd might've been the best selling version from the looks of the interest levels. Maybe that's a bad idea, this one was a bit of a joke lol.

My point is that Nintendo should start to establish longer term plans for third parties IPs on their platform, and not just for exclusives. They should be aiming to get multiplatform releases at the same time as their competitors. Building up the Switch userbase with their own IPs is a good thing, but if they wait too long to start working in third party IPs attracting the fanbases of most of them will become even harder.

Oregano

Switch is in a tough place when it comes to third parties. Nintendo doesn't pursue much of the multiplatform stuff and the technical requirements prevents taking much risk in making exclusives, especially this early. Nintendo's best hope is to start to warm up to multiplatform games more. Digimon not being announced for Switch is a bad thing, not the end of the world, but it's another miss for Nintendo. Yes I'm sure the project started before Switch came into the picture, but it's supposedly easy to port to the system and it doesn't seem to be coming out until later in the year. Will the next God Eater also skip the system? The next Dynasty Warriors? The list will simply continue to grow.

Also, if Nintendo has to utilize their IPs why not try to bring over multiplatform releases as well? Why is Koei not launching a Switch version of Musou Stars with Link and Lana? It'd might've been the best selling version from the looks of the interest levels. Maybe that's a bad idea, this one was a bit of a joke lol.

My point is that Nintendo should start to establish longer term plans for third parties IPs on their platform, and not just for exclusives. They should be aiming to get multiplatform releases at the same time as their competitors. Building up the Switch userbase with their own IPs is a good thing, but if they wait too long to start working in third party IPs attracting the fanbases of most of them will become even harder.

Yup, excellent post. I'm not how much of it is on Nintendo though. Like for your Musou Stars examples I'm not sure what else Nintendo could feasibly offer to do. They've been handing the Koei Tecmo/Omega Force opportunity after opportunity and that's clearly not enough.

cw_sasuke

They initially wanted to release 5 mobile games within this FY. It's easy to say they "weren't ready". Pokemon Go absolutely changed the playing field and likely also changed how Nintendo approaches the development of those mobile games, preferring to delay them, make strong advertisement cooperation with Apple and Google respectively and heavily push related console/handheld games in marketing. Sure, AC mobile may not see a console counterpart to push, but the track record of this endeavor so far is different.

Not at all...Pokemon Go or not Nintendo would have had ad cooperation with Apple/Google etc. anyway thats just common sense. Nothing indicates any changes to their mobile titles based on Pokemon Go.

We had the Pokemon Anniversary last year - they had a bunch of related content ready for that and pushed the brand heavy from month 1 with the VC titles on 3DS, legend redistribution, movie anniversaries etc.

Datschge

Not at all...Pokemon Go or not Nintendo would have had ad cooperation with Apple/Google etc. anyway thats just common sense. Nothing indicates any changes to their mobile titles based on Pokemon Go.

We had the Pokemon Anniversary last year - they had a bunch of related content ready for that and pushed the brand heavy from month 1 with the VC titles on 3DS, legend redistribution, movie anniversaries etc.
How did you go from Nintendo to Pokemon Company in that post? Those two are not related wrt their mobile strategies.

Malakai

That was Nintendo plan with the 3DS. Third parties complained about how there sales were "bad" on the Wii and DS. Nintendo held back their first party games according to Iwata in an investors meeting to give third parties a "chance" and we see what they did with it...

jj984jj

Yup, excellent post. I'm not how much of it is on Nintendo though. Like for your Musou Stars examples I'm not sure what else Nintendo could feasibly offer to do. They've been handing the Koei Tecmo/Omega Force opportunity after opportunity and that's clearly not enough.

It isn't enough. They make most of those opportunities for exclusives, they need to find a way to make multiplatform games work too.

Oregano

It isn't enough. They make most of those opportunities for exclusives, they need to find a way to make multiplatform games work too.

Right but I'm not exactly sure what that entails. I'm sure Nintendo would love to have all the Musou games and not have to hand Koei Tecmo the Zelda and Fire Emblem IPs just to get support.

Actually what should be more worrying for Nintendo is the fact that all their third party support seems to be going multiplatform just fine.

Datschge

Actually what should be more worrying for Nintendo is the fact that all their third party support seems to be going multiplatform just fine.
Why should multiplatform worry Nintendo? It's multiplatform without Switch that should worry them, especially as Switch finally has all the engine support that Wii and Wii U lacked.

Oregano

Why should multiplatform worry Nintendo? It's multiplatform without Switch that should worry them, especially as Switch finally has all the engine support that Wii and Wii U lacked.

Because some of the games(Switch) vs all of the games(PS4) is a losing proposition. Losing Shin Megami Tensei exclusivity would be fine if Switch was getting Persona or the new IP. Losing Dragon Quest exclusivity would be fine is Switch was getting FF. Losing Monster Hunter exclusivity would be fine if Switch was getting Resident Evil, Dead Rising, etc. But none of those are happening.

jj984jj

Right but I'm not exactly sure what that entails. I'm sure Nintendo would love to have all the Musou games and not have to hand Koei Tecmo the Zelda and Fire Emblem IPs just to get support.

Not entirely sure I agree. Nintendo might not actively refuse those games if they're being made, but I doubt Nintendo cares about pursuing many of them either.

cw_sasuke

How did you go from Nintendo to Pokemon Company in that post? Those two are not related wrt their mobile strategies.

Point is the the "signs" you are talking about are just common mobile game strategy to maximize exposure of releases...Pokemon GO didnt re-invent the wheel. It was just very successful and raised brand awareness. Something that was Nintendos goal with their mobile titles from Day 1.

Because some of the games(Switch) vs all of the games(PS4) is a losing proposition. Losing Shin Megami Tensei exclusivity would be fine if Switch was getting Persona or the new IP. Losing Dragon Quest exclusivity would be fine is Switch was getting FF. Losing Monster Hunter exclusivity would be fine if Switch was getting Resident Evil, Dead Rising, etc. But none of those are happening.

The games you mentioned were never Switch exclusives to begin with....lol. This isnt the Super Famcom but the Switch.

Mpl90

Call me crazy, but I believe Switch is indeed them trying to be more mulitplatform-friendly, far more than in the past, as well as developer friendly. Between the ease of development and the engine and tools the platform supports, this is by far the best development environment for third parties; it's certainly a far better foundation where to start from compared to the past generations. We'll have to see how much this is going to help to pursue more multiplatform releases, but it's clear how this is a solid start on that front.

Certainly, what remains to be seen if, besides the solid foundation, there is something else, i.e. Nintendo incentivating multiplatform releases even more. Right now, we're seeing a small number of upcoming multiplatform releases and late ports, but it's not unreasonable to think the next few months can see more announcements on this front. However, I strongly believe next year is when we'll seriously see how much Nintendo obtained to do on this front: this year we'll still see games which development started when Switch wasn't even considered in the picture / dev-kits were more limited to specific branches of the same company / are not coming because they want to see how things go first. Digimon CS probably falls in one of this cathegories.

Since you've mentioned Musou Stars: I'll be honest here, your idea is not - that - awful. It's actually what I believed could've been the launch Musou for the system, including the Zelda exclusive content in order to attract more potential customers. But I suppose both Koei Tecmo and SE believed that a collection of both DQH + new content would've been a better and, above all, less risky way of getting the spotlight as one of the biggest launch games while trying to start to establish a Musou fanbase on the platform.

Oregano

Not entirely sure I agree. Nintendo might not actively refuse those games if they're being made, but I doubt Nintendo cares about pursuing many of them either.

That's because you don't pursue Lu Bu.

I could see that but then I'd argue that Sony doesn't pursue the average release, they just have them by default.

Point is the the "signs" you are talking about are just common mobile game strategy to maximize exposure of releases...Pokemon GO didnt re-invent the wheel. It was just very successful and raised brand awareness. Something that was Nintendos goal with their mobile titles from Day 1.

The games you mentioned were never Switch exclusives to begin with....lol.

They were Nintendo exclusive though for the past gen or two, which is no longer the case. That's not a difficult point to grasp.

EDIT:
Since you've mentioned Musou Stars: I'll be honest here, your idea is not - that - awful. It's actually what I believed could've been the launch Musou for the system, including the Zelda exclusive content in order to attract more potential customers. But I suppose both Koei Tecmo and SE believed that a collection of both DQH + new content would've been a better and, above all, less risky way of getting the spotlight as one of the biggest launch games while trying to start to establish a Musou fanbase on the platform.

You know what would really help build a Musou fanbase?

Having two Musous in the opening month including the big new one. It's not like Koei Tecmo is only capable of putting out on at a time on other platforms.

I think it's more likely KT/Omega Force have no interest in putting Musou on Switch which is why the two Musou games on there are the ones published by other companies.

cw_sasuke

They were Nintendo exclusive though for the past gen or two, which is no longer the case. That's not a difficult point to grasp.

I have no idea what point you are even trying to make - look at the current market...why would any of these titles be Switch exclusive ? And why would 3rdPartys need to fill some quote just because some of these games end up being multiplatform ? Thats not how it works.

Most of the titles were DS/3DS exclusives because of the systems userbase and the difficulty of multiplattform development with higher specs systems.

You would have more of a point if DQ, MH, SMT and co. would have been WiiU exclusives.

You know what would really help build a Musou fanbase?

Having two Musous in the opening month including the big new one. It's not like Koei Tecmo is only capable of putting out on at a time on other platforms.

I think it's more likely KT/Omega Force have no interest in putting Musou on Switch which is why the two Musou games on there are the ones published by other companies.

How much do Musou games sell at this point ? 200k at best on all platforms ? Imagine thinking Nintendo will invest anything on those dying games unless its an exclusive lol. They never needed those titles...if KT think Switch is worth the effort they will port the games, but they arent a big deal for Nintendo.

Oregano

I have no idea what point you are even trying to make - look at the current market...why would any of these titles be Switch exclusive ? And why would 3rdPartys need to fill some quote just because some of these games end up being multiplatform ? Thats not how it works.

Most of the titles were DS/3DS exclusives because of the systems userbase and the difficulty of multiplattform development with higher specs systems.

You would have more of a point if DQ, MH, SMT and co. would have been WiiU exclusives.

The point I'm trying to make is a glaringly obvious one. I don't know how you can't see it?

A situation where Switch doesn't have exclusives and also misses out on the vast majority of third party games is a bad scenario for Nintendo.

If Nintendo has to share what few brands they did have whilst not getting the share any of the brands they didn't have they are in a much worse position than they were previously.

EDIT:
How much do Musou games sell at this point ? 200k at best on all platforms ? Imagine thinking Nintendo will invest anything on those dying games unless its an exclusive lol. They never needed those titles...if KT think Switch is worth the effort they will port the games, but they arent a big deal for Nintendo.

I guess Nintendo shouldn't bother with third parties at all then. None of them are a big deal.

Well right now Switch has exactly zero multiplatform games that aren't late ports and publishers are starting to announce late 2017(And even 2018) games that are skipping the platform. That's worse than Wii U, Vita or PS4 which were at least getting some multiplats/cross gen releases. It will be more notable when Switch actually gets a game.

In what way was Vita getting multi-plat/cross-gen releases in its first few years?

The only cross-gen-with-PSP games that I can see in its first year on the market were Lord of Apocalypse; Little Battlers Experience W & Time Travelers (notably, two of those three games are from Level-5 who promptly dropped the platform outright).

I mean, it wasn't until TGS 2012 that God Eater was announced as coming to Vita - before that it was only ever a PSP exclusive.

In the meantime, PSP continued to get major exclusives throughout 2012 (Super Robot Wars Z-II; One Piece Romance Dawn; Yakuza Black Panther 2) and 2013 (SAO Infinity Moment; Summon Night 5; 7th Dragon 2020-II).

jj984jj

Call me crazy, but I believe Switch is indeed them trying to be more mulitplatform-friendly, far more than in the past, as well as developer friendly. Between the ease of development and the engine and tools the platform supports, this is by far the best development environment for third parties; it's certainly a far better foundation where to start from compared to the past generations. We'll have to see how much this is going to help to pursue more multiplatform releases, but it's clear how this is a solid start on that front.

Certainly, what remains to be seen if, besides the solid foundation, there is something else, i.e. Nintendo incentivating multiplatform releases even more. Right now, we're seeing a small number of upcoming multiplatform releases and late ports, but it's not unreasonable to think the next few months can see more announcements on this front. However, I strongly believe next year is when we'll seriously see how much Nintendo obtained to do on this front: this year we'll still see games which development started when Switch wasn't even considered in the picture / dev-kits were more limited to specific branches of the same company / are not coming because they want to see how things go first. Digimon CS probably falls in one of this cathegories.

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see what happens here. I'm sure they'll get something, but... we'll have to wait and see.

On a somewhat unrelated note. I hope that, at the very least, they'll try to get some of the third party series from their previous portables for the Switch. Even if they go multiplatform as well. I think I'd care more about those personally, heh.

That's because you don't pursue Lu Bu.

I could see that but then I'd argue that Sony doesn't pursue the average release, they just have them by default.

Now? No. But back at PS4 launch? I think they might've gone after a few.

Ōkami

animation1jeffbga28.gif

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It'd still be nice to have though.
I guess we'll see how things look in the near future

That list is full of late ports, not very different from what Switch had at launch. Only Mercenaries makes the difference.

By December everything will be clear for Switch software support.

That list is full of late ports, not very different from what Switch had at launch. Only Mercenaries makes the difference.

Yeah, Nintendo went with a soft launch in terms of software for Switch. In some ways it reminds me of 3DS, MH4 was announced for 3DS 6 months after launch and they released a port a few months after the anouncement. 3DS is starting to die off so they could move to PS4, Mobile or Switch. I'd say Switch would likely be the best option for franchises that were typically released on 3DS/Nintendo handhelds. I could also see a lot of japanese developers doing PS4/Switch ports if it continues to sell well. I think it'd probably be important in the Japanese gaming industry to have the PS4/Switch as the main platforms for support.

Mory Dunz

True, but I think getting RE7 just a month later and, but for launch would've been notable.

Then there's things I thought would be announced in Feb like MvC, Ni No Kuni (or is timed exclusive), maybe P5, etc. But I guess as long as it gets MH, DQ, and Level 5, that's enough since those are the biggest games. The notables it's missing would be KH and FF7R.

cw_sasuke

REVII sold 300k on nearly 5m PS4 with the VR bonus - how much do you think it would have sold on Switch during the launch period ? Not even considering how much resources Capcom would have to invest to get it to run on Switch.

RE2Make was always the earliest essential RE title i expected on Switch - so im interested to see if this one will head to Switch as well.

Mpl90

Splatoon impact on hw would be seen if Switch was in plenty supply. Right now it's what Nintendo ships.

Too early and a different context, I know...but this kind of comment reminds me of the Wii / DS era way too much XD

I originally sort of expected The Snack World to be announced for the Switch because launching a new IP at the very end of a system's life seems pretty risky. Not a huge deal because it will launch on mobile as well anyway and I think the game has much bigger problems.

And I'm still baffled by the lack of a Monster Hunter Stories expansion at launch. This seemed like the most likely launch title after Monster Hunter XX to me, and neither happened.

Mory Dunz

REVII sold 300k on nearly 5m PS4 with the VR bonus - how much do you think it would have sold on Switch during the launch period ? Not even considering how much resources Capcom would have to invest to get it to run on Switch.

RE2Make was always the earliest essential RE title i expected on Switch - so im interested to see if this one will head to Switch as well.

yeah those first games I listed are more probably oriented to the west tbh.

Jacobson

A situation where Switch doesn't have exclusives and also misses out on the vast majority of third party games is a bad scenario for Nintendo.

I'd agree with you if Nintendo doesn't develop their own software. But they do. There will always be exclusive games for Nintendo consoles.

gconsole

RE7 is not going to fly on Switch. There is no ( RE type of game ) audience there. Seeing that majority of the buyer bought this machine for Zelda ( and some for the game like 1-2 Switch ). RE sale on GC should be a great indicator there and especially when RE7 is even more niche product than its predecessor.

Switch is a great machine and I love it so much. But I don't really expect to play big AAA 3rd party game on it, that's my PS4 is for. The machine while being a very powerful handheld, it doesn't really have much resource to handle those type of games. The best thing that could come out from Switch would be Nintendo and some very specific 3rd party game that is made specifically for it.

The RE audience is elsewhere: platforms that have RE1R, RE4/5/6, RER2 and now RE7. Their fans have been largely covered.

What about PS4? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Lets wait and see ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Monster Hunter is the special one ,Capcom would take it more seriously,profit of all 6 titles you list add up might be less than MH5

Pretty sure RE is more important.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I'd agree with you if Nintendo doesn't develop their own software. But they do. There will always be exclusive games for Nintendo consoles.

Since 16 bit generation every Nintendo's system success or failure depends entirelly on Nintendo output. For Switch launch success third parties have zero share. It won't be them that will determine Switch fate.

I still fail to understand why would anyone want to play shitty multiplatform version of a game on Switch. Games like FFXV, RE7 and Tomb Raider are best played on the PS4 and don't seem like they will fit Switch. I doubt Switch can run Dark Souls 3 decently either and this was another game that was hyped pre-launch for Switch.

The hardware for Swith is already weak enough and we have seen Xbox One struggling with multiplatform gaming this year, while Switch has worse hardware.

Mpl90

I still fail to understand why would anyone want to play shitty multiplatform version of a game on Switch. Games like FFXV, RE7 and Tomb Raider are best played on the PS4 and don't seem like they will fit Switch. I doubt Switch can run Dark Souls 3 decently either and this was another game that was hyped pre-launch for Switch.

The hardware for Swith is already weak enough and we have seen Xbox One struggling with multiplatform gaming this year, while Switch has worse hardware.

Add TMs and "thanks to the power of the PS4 Pro" to this post and you'd have a pretty decent PR message :p

Top Bottom