• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2017 (Mar 06 - Mar 12)

Tonyx

Can't believe there's people arguing against the severe supply issues for Switch.

Here in Italy it's in stock basically everywhere.

But of course for the next month or so it will be supply somehow constrained as at least some cities will have supply problems.

hiska-kun

Famitsu finally up:

一方、2週目のNintendo Switch本体は、6.3万台を販売。前週に比べて供給が少なかったことから、品薄に拍車がかかっている。

Compared to first week, Switch's supply was lower, so it lacked stock for this week.

https://www.famitsu.com/biz/ranking/

dracula_x

OK, Let me see if I have this correct.

VR in general is not selling not selling well.

Sony is spinning it as selling well.

From the same article you linked: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...98/?siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-VeycHaBU_QYDKvmt_4oKxw

It's selling well for a niche device. Please compare that number to HTC Vive and Oculus Rift sales.

It is sold out and there is noted demand but it makes sense for Sony to not meet that demand.

Maybe because there wasn't a restock in weeks. Demand is actually not that big, and I think Sony knows that.

Also, don't forget about manufacturing cost. Less units ordered – more costs per unit. That's actually explains a shortage.

But when Nintendo does not meet demand..

Wait, are you saying that Switch is a niche product? It thought it's a very popular :)

LOCK

Surprised by how much was available in the second week for Switch. I wonder how much will show up in next weeks MC.

Seems like we all might be underestimating demand.

And the mental gymnastics that some people are taking to argue sell through is hilariously sad.

Vinnk

Wait, are you saying that Switch is a niche product? It thought it's a very popular :)

OK, then can we concede that the Switch is a desirable, popular and in-demand product?

Around GAF many people would contest that the Switch is indeed a niche product.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Even if Famitsu didn't mention limited stock for Switch the fact they match Media Create (and possibly Dengeki) for second week in a row is enough.

L~A

Famitsu finally up:

Compared to first week, Switch's supply was lower, so it lacked stock for this week.

Totally unrelated, but did you see my post about the Pokémon comparison graphs?

Sorry if you did and simply don't have time now, thread been moving really fast (and not really because of quality posts), just wanted to make sure.

On topic: I wonder if Media Create and Dengeki will have more on Switch stock sitation.

z0m3le

Banned
It's selling well for a niche device. Please compare that number to HTC Vive and Oculus Rift sales.

Maybe because there wasn't a restock in weeks. Demand is actually not that big, and I think Sony knows that.

Also, don't forget about manufacturing cost. Less units ordered – more costs per unit. That's actually explains a shortage.

Why is this a thing, you guys are comparing apples to oranges.

Nintendo pushed a world wide launch outside of the Holiday season and seems to have gone well so far, yes there isn't enough supply, but we knew there was going to be 2m for the first 3 weeks (Reggie) and 1.5m seems to have been sold in the opening weekend.

If you really want to compare that to Sony, look at the PS4, which couldn't do a world wide launch, so they made (imo) the right move and held back launch of the console in Japan. Having said that, only about 2m were sold at the initial launch month of the console, which while launching in the middle of the month makes this a little over 2 weeks, it received a fair boost thanks to black Friday.

When Sony finally did bring the PS4 to Japan, it sold in line with the switch, how is it that one company is incompetent when both seem to have similar shipments for launch, with the other company even able to push a world wide launch.

Famitsu finally up:

So now we know the console has limited stock in Japan.

Nintendo is selling everything its shipping and it seems, given past console trends and current demand levels, that Nintendo will continue to sell everything thy ship through the month.

I wonder if they'll have a larger shipment for Splatoon 2 Testfire. If not then the next large boost should be from Mario Kart.

Good start for Switch.

Vinnk

Why is this a thing, you guys are comparing apples to oranges.

Sorry to keep pushing that Sony VR thing. I was trying to make a point over how not meeting demand was not only a Nintendo problem. But it kind of spiraled out of control. I'll let it go.

lherre

Accurate
Reading the thread today I think I have to ship Switch and PSVR devices from Spain to Japan since here both are available :p

Sorry to keep pushing that Sony VR thing. I was trying to make a point over how not meeting demand was not only a Nintendo problem. But it kind of spiraled out of control. I'll let it go.

I think the important thing to emphasize is that the Switch is not a simple device to manufacture and that it takes months to adjust the amount you can manufacture significantly and it requires substantial investment. There are two scenarios here: Nintendo was potentially conservative up front potentially because of the Wii U or potentially because they only started making them late last year and this is the amount they have.

If after the January reveal and the following preorder frenzy they decided to increase production, the effects of that increase probably wouldn't be felt until April or May. We will see if they are truly "incompetent" if they're still are doing small shipments at that time.

I think Splatoon 2 test, Zelda and Mario Kart will continue driving Switch sales to the point of compromising stock well into the first weeks of May.

Different market but ebay Switches are at $415 USD up from $350 last week. Price is going up, so demand seems to be increasing

Solid start for Ghost Recon, and nice to see Horizon still selling. Switch is clearly having strong stock issues so it's hard to gauge where the device is really at. It's clear it's doing very well, we just don't know how far from meeting demand they are (though it seems to be still very high demand)

As always the next couple months will be very telling for the health if the device but I feel good about it.

You can't say something is a fact just because it supports your bias view.

The same way ethomaz can't assume that Switch doesn't have stock issues.

So were you absent during the past week or what? The shortages are a fact because we have numerous physical reports and we know limited shipments came in last week at some stores resulting in a raffle and some stores didn't get a new shipment at all. The only thing "the data" will tell you is exactly how severe the shortages are, but the existence of severe shortages is indeed a fact.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'm surprised to see 3DS sales down. I think the writing is on the wall for the Switch to take over eventually.

Are you really ? System is entering its 6th year on the market and there hasnt been a big release lately. Sales are still rather solid....dont think you can expect much more.

If shortages are not fact, then I could order one online or go to a store anytime and buy one right?

Is that what's happening?

There is more evidence of the Switch being supply constrained than otherwise

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It looks Switch takes sales from Vita than 3DS which isn't very surprising since it refers to the audience that wants a high end handheld. 3DS remaining so high though, with the anemic software support it has, is surprising.

When Sony finally did bring the PS4 to Japan, it sold in line with the switch, how is it that one company is incompetent when both seem to have similar shipments for launch, with the other company even able to push a world wide launch.
I don't believe Nintendo is incompetent, but the numbers aren't as close as you imply. Sony shipped about 2.5 million units in two weeks, and 4.2 million units in 6 weeks. Nintendo have said they'll ship 2 million in 4 weeks.

As for Nintendo's launch scope, how many territories is that globally? Though Sony skipped Japan, they were in 54 countries in 2013. This may compare to Nintendo's release scale.

Video game is by definition a niche medium, amongst them all.

No it's not. Given the Video Games Industry is larger than than most other entertainment segments (such as movies and music) combined.

Not the first time you've posted incorrect information. You never responded in that thread about how Nintendo wasn't big in the UK. You were wrong there too. Nintendo had huge success with the Wii and DS.

No it's not. Given the Video Games Industry is larger than than most other entertainment segments (such as movies and music) combined.

Not the first time you've posted incorrect information. You never responded in that thread about how Nintendo wasn't big in the UK. You were wrong there too. Nintendo had huge success with the Wii and DS.

Are you talking about Japan? Even then I think the music industry is bigger there.

Behind the Vita? Hmmm.

Comparing the Vita and Switch in this situation doesn't make much sense.

See my previous post on the subject.

Vita had a shipment of 500,000 units in its first week but couldn't even sell that after 3 weeks+

Meanwhile Switch sold through 95% of its launch shipment in its first week.

The two situations are not comparable in the slightest and it's clear that Switch has had a much more successful start.

Shahed

My brain. I might have to stop reading Media Create threads until the silliness from people on all sides eases off. It's too annoying to read.

Hellraider

I love how the thread is exactly what we all last week expected it to be.

I really hope Automata is the wake up call that Senix needs when it comes to franchise handling. Giving a sequel appropriate budget and quality rips some fucking great benefits, who would have thought!

test_account

XP-39C²
Switch had more stock than expected, it seems. Was expecting something closer to 50k than 70k.
The lottery at the one(?) store probably made the shippment seem smaller than it actually was.

OK, then can we concede that the Switch is a desirable, popular and in-demand product?

Around GAF many people would contest that the Switch is indeed a niche product.
Who said that the Switch is a niche product? Its the successor to 3DS and WiiU.

Anyone have that Zelda sales list handy?

Wondering how this is comparing for second week.

Not complete since I've largely been out of the data loop for a while, but here are second week Famitsu numbers I've got. Zelda software group, and hard to read table with weekly data.

160K DS Phantom Hourglass
129K DS Spirit Tracks
85K GCN Wind Waker
48K GBA Link to the Past + Four Swords
40K 3DS Ocarina of Time 3D
36K Wii Twilight Princess
33K Wii Skyward Sword
30K GBA Minish Cap
20K GBA Famicom Mini Zelda II
19K GBA Famicom Mini Legend of Zelda
19K GCN Four Swords Adventure

Top Bottom