• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2011 (Mar 21 - Mar 27)

antonz

The hinted Monster Hunter Announcement thats supposed to be around the corner should be all thats needed to get greater interest.

Reality is Nintendo needed a better lineup at launch

antonz said:
The hinted Monster Hunter Announcement thats supposed to be around the corner should be all thats needed to get greater interest.

Reality is Nintendo needed a better lineup at launch

Eh?

antonz

AceBandage said:
There has been alot of talk a 3DS Monster Hunter was intended to be announced at Monster Hunter Festa but the event got cancelled due to the earthquake etc. Capcom says they have a big announcement in April for the 3DS.

antonz

AceBandage said:
Ah, I assumed that was just for SFvTekken 3DS.
Thats possible. The reality is Capcom probably has a ton of announcements they are sitting on. They are Nintendos biggest supporter on the 3DS for sure

apana

Didn't Nintendo give a little "incentive" to Capcom to put Monster Hunter on Wii. They could do the same right now. Iwata should just write a big fat paycheck, they have so much money in the bank. Problem solved.

onken said:
In case you're wondering about the cross-platform bump, there was a bank holiday on Mon 21st, so lots of offers and deals floating about.

Is this a joke post? I really can't tell anymore.

It was also pay day week and school graduation gift giving week.

Why would it be a joke post? I can give you quotes from many Nintendo exces about their phase strategy of the launch, I'm not just reading things into what Nintendo is doing to seem intelligent.

One other thing: Nintendo is king of commercials they live off of commercials in Japan, after the earthquake just how many Nintendo commercials did you see?

Although I admit, Nintendo thinking they could go 2 months off of just built-in-software in reflection on a 25,000 yen system can be seen as a bit of a joke.

Takao

Banned
I still go by my belief that MHP will stay with Sony, and 3DS gets a different MH series, like Poka Poka or something. Though, Poka Poka G not being announced for 3DS does throw a wrench in that theory.

I suspect MHP4 on NGP/3DS will be the MGS4 on PS3/360 of this generation. Rumors going both sides from everyone who heard something from their cousin.

DiscoJer

Takao said:
I still go by my belief that MHP will stay with Sony, and 3DS gets a different MH series, like Poka Poka or something. Though, Poka Poka G not being announced for 3DS does throw a wrench in that theory.

I suspect MHP4 on NGP/3DS will be the MGS4 on PS3/360 of this generation. Rumors going both sides from everyone who heard something from their cousin.

I think we'll see an enhanced MHP3 on the 3DS (called MHP3D possibly) and the NGP getting MHP4. Though the latter would depend on how big the 3DS game is. If it's big though, they won't bother and put it on the 3DS.

I mean, considering how much Capcom has dicked Sony around - DMC PSP, Monster Hunter 3 (going from PSP--> Wii), the Resident Evil PSP announced just last year apparently moving to the 3DS, No SFIV for the PSP (but for the iPhone), I just don't think Capcom is going to work with Sony unless they absolutely have to...

AniHawk

as far as the 3ds goes, the only thing that i think is obvious is that there's no big piece of software that immediately draws people to it. nintendogs was the first piece to the ds's success last gen, and the brain age games were the breakout games that made the system huge. those things are harder to predict. not sure many people would have thought wii sports would take the world by storm either. and yeah, the 3ds has big franchise games coming, but that's not what's going to sell the system like crazy (well, i guess mario kart has the potential to do so these days). most of that fanbase owns a sony system anyway.

antonz

Mario Kart will probably be the first Mega title in that regard. Its already rocking the most wanted list pretty high.

Monster Hunter just makes too much sense. Considering the capabilities of the 3DS MHTri gives the 3DS plenty of assets to work with. For the future I dont see it being possible for Nintendo or Sony to get it exclusive handheld wise. Both Systems will use the same game engine. Way too tempting to pass up

I think the 3DS price may be turning people away. Nintendo just can't drag their feet on this system like they are with the Wii and just hope it takes off by magic.

iidesuyo

3DS is too expensive, that's all.

We're grown ups, many of us have the money, but imagine a 10 year old girl trying to tell their parents she wants a 300€/$ system (including game) to play Nintendogs. That's very expensive (even for a christmas gift).

smurfx

get some go again
apana said:
Didn't Nintendo give a little "incentive" to Capcom to put Monster Hunter on Wii. They could do the same right now. Iwata should just write a big fat paycheck, they have so much money in the bank. Problem solved.
sony might be seeing how the 3ds is selling right now and getting into a huge bidding war. if things continue like this i'm sure capcom will think twice about giving the 3ds an exclusive.

iidesuyo

Igor Antunov said:
If the 3DS is too expensive then the NGP is dead on arrival.

If it costs 300+$ then it won't be a huge success, yes. The PSP too was hit by its price, and then at some point western developers ignored it.

Didn't the DS start somewhat slow until Mario Kart, Nintendogs, and Brain Age came out? Once the first killer app comes out on 3DS I think we'll have a more accurate projection of how the system will do in the future.

Well the good news for Nintendo going forward is that the system is cheap to make and they are making a ton of profit per unit. The price is so high right now in hopes that they can make back the R&D money from the 3DS. Once they do that I think the system could get down to $149 by 2013 and maybe lower

To Far Away Times said:
Didn't the DS start somewhat slow until Mario Kart, Nintendogs, and Brain Age came out? Once the first killer app comes out on 3DS I think we'll have a more accurate projection of how the system will do in the future.

Super Mario 64 was a killer ap that launched with the system, but after that there was nada for 6 months. Still, 1 killer ap is better than none. Sorry guys but SSFIV is a good game but not a killer ap

Ratrat

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
One other thing: Nintendo is king of commercials they live off of commercials in Japan, after the earthquake just how many Nintendo commercials did you see?

Hey, you're right! But unlike waggle, not being able to show what the 3D looks like makes the commercials less effective.

Takao

Banned
jling84 said:
All I have to say is if the public is deeming the 3DS too expensive at $250, the NGP is screwed.

It's too expensive for a platform with no games.

If it had games that people as a whole are interested in, price would matter less.

As it stands you can buy a somewhat similarly powered PSP for a lot less than a 3DS, and have a tonne of games you can play. The 3DS has no pull against that since what little software there is available is lacking.

I had a sinking feeling Nintendo was overstepping their bounds when I read that interview where Iwata talks about deciding to raise the price of the 3DS after the positive audience reaction at E3. It seems like a natural cycle in the industry for the market leader to get smug and start making missteps. He's hoping Nintendo has the good sense to adjust accordingly, although their unwillingness to do budget re-releases on Wii even as it begins to languish gives me doubt.

AniHawk

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I had a sinking feeling Nintendo was overstepping their bounds when I read that interview where Iwata talks about deciding to raise the price of the 3DS after the positive audience reaction at E3. It seems like a natural cycle in the industry for the market leader to get smug and start making missteps. He's hoping Nintendo has the good sense to adjust accordingly, although their unwillingness to do budget re-releases on Wii even as it begins to languish gives me doubt.

they did drop the price of the ds something like less than a year after its release, and given the cost to them, i think we'll see a drop to $200 somewhat soon, perhaps january next year.

since they decided to go the price gouge route after e3, i'm betting they were planning on launching it at $200 instead of $250.

gerg

GrotesqueBeauty said:

However, Iwata has also said, iirc, that he realises that the Wii's decline in sales was exacerbated by Nintendo's unwillingness to drop its price in good time.

farnham

Banned
iidesuyo said:
If it costs 300+$ then it won't be a huge success, yes. The PSP too was hit by its price, and then at some point western developers ignored it.
well psp got more support from western devs then the wii got

GrotesqueBeauty said:

i believe the biggest problem is that they did not release a highselling launch title with the 3ds

layton doing well is a great thing for them as they have a third party stigma. but nintendo launches need nintendo software like wii sports or mario. nintendogs unfortunately is not cutting it at this point (maybe it will change in the future who knows)

confuziz

Banned
farnham said:

About 1200 games were released for the Wii compared to 1000 for the PSP (while it released earlier).

You should stop using your memory =P

AniHawk

farnham said:

the psp was also a sony system during the heyday of the ps2 days and the wii was the successor to the gamecube.

i'm assuming you're referring to when both systems were new.

onken

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
It was also pay day week and school graduation gift giving week.

Why would it be a joke post? I can give you quotes from many Nintendo exces about their phase strategy of the launch, I'm not just reading things into what Nintendo is doing to seem intelligent.

I'm sure that was their strategy. I just find the idea that the earthquake "completely stopped" people country-wide showing their 3DSs to other people nonsense.

Why do they need TV ads for if it's a viral campaign? Though you're right, all I see are those damn feel-good AC ads these days. AYYYY-SEEEEEEEEE

Although I admit, Nintendo thinking they could go 2 months off of just built-in-software in reflection on a 25,000 yen system can be seen as a bit of a joke.

Indeed. I don't know if Nintendo were bullshitting or not about having software ready to go but holding it back for a staggered launch, but really dumb strategy imo. You should be trying to get as many people getting one as close to launch as possible. They should have just thrown out everything they've got and y'know, made more for the later months.

Mr. Al

Believe me, it's not the price that is killing it. It's the lack of games. Price is cheap. Hell, I even bought two! :)

The system is awesome and the 3D has to seen!

I am also getting the same reaction on the people working in the stores. Great system, but not too many games to choose from.

The sales drop in Japan has alot to do with the disaster. Who want to buy an gaming device when people lives have been wiped out and the food and water is being poisoned by nuclear reactors? :(

RpgN

To Far Away Times said:

That is about right. It's still possible the same is going to happen with the 3DS, but don't forget that the DS was an unproven platform back then. The 3DS came after how successful the DS became and there are/were big expectations with it. I didn't like the comment that Nintendo decided to raise the price based on hype during E3, they thought they'd sell everything no matter how much it would cost consumers.

On one hand I'm glad that things are not going as great as hoped, maybe they'll drop the price and try harder that way.

DiscoJer said:
I think we'll see an enhanced MHP3 on the 3DS (called MHP3D possibly) and the NGP getting MHP4. Though the latter would depend on how big the 3DS game is. If it's big though, they won't bother and put it on the 3DS.

I mean, considering how much Capcom has dicked Sony around - DMC PSP, Monster Hunter 3 (going from PSP--> Wii), the Resident Evil PSP announced just last year apparently moving to the 3DS, No SFIV for the PSP (but for the iPhone), I just don't think Capcom is going to work with Sony unless they absolutely have to...
My god...you cannot be serious. Are there seriously people that are this jaded?

RpgN

Mr. Al said:
Believe me, it's not the price that is killing it. It's the lack of games. Price is cheap. Hell, I even bought two! :)

The sales drop in Japan has alot to do with the disaster. Who want to buy an gaming device when people lives have been wiped out and the food and water is being poisoned by nuclear reactors? :(

You call that cheap? Not many people have the means to get 1 3DS, let alone 2.

And the sales drop could be applied to other hardware such as the PSP and PS3 but they're doing fine, aren't they?

onken said:
I'm sure that was their strategy. I just find the idea that the earthquake "completely stopped" people country-wide showing their 3DSs to other people nonsense.

Obviously semi-exaggerated, but you know the 自粛 mood that's been going around here, seeing talk of 10,000 of your country men dead on tv isn't exactly the prime environment to be showing off that you can virtually throw tennis balls at your friend's face.

3ds wasn't doing super super hot before the quake, but any type of cooler talk effect that it would have gained was gone.

onken said:
Why do they need TV ads for if it's a viral campaign?

Back up, provide leads into the water cooler conversation.

No clue how it would have done , but remember steel diver had the Arashi commercials.

RpgN said:
And the sales drop could be applied to other hardware such as the PSP and PS3 but they're doing fine, aren't they?

...but the key point with the PSP, PS3 - and even to an extent with the Wii and DS - is that they are well-established consoles, with large and growing back-catalogues. Buying into a console at launch is an expensive gamble in a way, as you're buying for what few games there are and for the potential of the system. While it's clear that the 3DS will be getting some fantastic games, they're not there yet and I'd think that that is having a cooling effect on sales. Couple that with the after-effects of the earthquake and tsunami and you have a fairly compelling set of reasons to wait before buying - few games, no must-haves, and it's a lot of money to spend at a difficult time for the country. More bang for your buck with a cheap PSP and a huge catalogue of games, as well as regular high-profile releases.

I think the 3DS will recover once we're a month or two down the line and the big games start hitting, and once we get a picture of where Nintendo are going with the system at E3, but it's a rocky start.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
farnham said:
Holy cow. my memories must have been distorted by my GC love. lol

or wii and ds just rose the expectation of nintendo hardware sales
At last, you auto-trolled yourself

2006-11-27

duckroll said:
Dissidia012 crosses 400k and is still going, it should definitely be able to do 500k.
Going to disagree here. From week 1 to week 4, original Dissidia gained about 60%. It then gained 13% total, unless you count Universal Tuning. Deweydecimal Dissidia from week 1 to week 4 gained 41%, and still needs another 24% to hit 500K.
ksamedi said:
I'm pretty surprised at the bad Nintendogs + Cats performance. Nintendogs was a million selling game and cats will likely not even reach 300k. Pretty big drop there.
Too soon to say. Nintendogs got so high on the back of a lot of little weeks. The first time it went below 10,000 its total was about 740K, but it wasn't even half done selling. Its final 500,000 happened completely outside of the weekly Top 30.
ULTROS! said:
Did Nintendo have high expectations for Pilotwings and Steel Diver?
Kinda doubt it. Even back in the day, Pilotwings was one of their less successful N64 releases. I guess that'd probably be why they didn't mind giving it 15 years off.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
A lot of interesting discussion. Frankly, this generation currently winding down in Japan has taught me that it is very difficult to make concrete pronouncements about system momentum. I *think* the 3DS will be fine, but I also imagine this isn't Nintendo's ideal launch.

Effect

Curious. Would a 3DS remake of Pokemon Black/White push units in Japan? Considering how successful it has been there already would there be some sort of backlash from fans or is what what Pokemon Gray is suppose to be? If that exist? Have been a bit confused about that.

Did people forget that it is completely normal, actually that it is the rule, for new launched systems to not be the best selling platform immediately after release?

[Nintex]

schuelma said:
A lot of interesting discussion. Frankly, this generation currently winding down in Japan has taught me that it is very difficult to make concrete pronouncements about system momentum. I *think* the 3DS will be fine, but I also imagine this isn't Nintendo's ideal launch.
I think the problem is that Nintendo is 'still' living in the shadows. They come out once or twice a year at best. There's Iwata with some stuff at the start of the year, if they launch a new platform we'll see the tail end of 'Nintendo World'. Then there's E3 and finally something in October if everything goes well. Just look at how Microsoft, Sony, Capcom, EA, Activision are grabbing the headlines these days. Nintendo is pretty much 'invisible' outside of their events. They've stopped running tons of ads, the viral campaign that they had going for the Wii is all but gone and they're pretty much running things on 'auto-pilot' right now. This especially hurts games like Metroid: Other M and the likes but games like Pilotwings and Nintendogs + Cats as well. They're not 'new' so Nintendo has to convince us that they're better than the games we already have(Nintendogs, Wii Sports Resort) they can't show 3D gameplay on TV so they're having a hard time advertising their most important feature. Have they ran 3D ads in 3D cinema's yet? That might be a way to sell the '3D' part of their stuff.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Did people forget that it is completely normal, actually that it is the rule, for new launched systems to not be the best selling platform immediately after release?
Nintendo delayed their launch so they had a million+ units at launch and those haven't been sold yet.

Xater

Does somebody have the sales data for Gundam Musou 3 for me? I was wondering how that performed compared to Dynasty Warriors 7.

Also the doom and gloom for the 3DS is a bit pre-mature. think Nintendo really overshipped the thing everywhere and it just didn't sell that much because of the price and the available games. I also don't think Sony can do anything to do better at launch, except if they have a Monster Hunter at launch which I seriously doubt.

[Nintex]

Xater said:
Does somebody have the sales data for Gundam Musou 3 for me? I was wondering how that performed compared to Dynasty Warriors 7.

Also the doom and gloom for the 3DS is a bit pre-mature. think Nintendo really overshipped the thing everywhere and it just didn't sell that much because of the price and the available games. I also don't think Sony can do anything to do better at launch, except if they have a Monster Hunter at launch which I seriously doubt.
I think both Nintendo and Sony are stupid. I personally love the 3DS and the idea that we'll soon be able to play HD AAA games on the go with the NGP but they're both stupid for ignoring the low-end handheld market that made the Game Boy/DS and now PSP(in Japan) take off like crazy.

Effect said:
Curious. Would a 3DS remake of Pokemon Black/White push units in Japan? Considering how successful it has been there already would there be some sort of backlash from fans or is what what Pokemon Gray is suppose to be? If that exist? Have been a bit confused about that.
I think we won't see Pokémon Gray before september 2012. And I think we'll have Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon 3 for september 2011 on DS and 3DS.

Frillen

There's a big difference between the 3DS and DS though, which makes it hard to compare sales at the moment. The DS was in the midst of the holidays during the same timeframe as the 3DS is in right now.

Top Bottom