• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2013 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

Dalthien

Does anyone else think Square Enix almost has to make the next mainline Dragon Quest a multiplatform console game if they want it to be successful globally? It seems like such a large IP for them to keep only on the 3DS and lose out on capitalizing on the western markets. Then again Monster Hunter being a 3DS exclusive doesn't make much sense. Really any 3rd party game being exclusive makes little sense, unless it is a niche game, or game made by a small team.

DQ8 did like 4.9M worldwide on the PS2, and 1M+ in the west.
DQ9 was 5M+ worldwide on the DS, and 1M+ in the west.
MHTri was just under 2M worldwide on the Wii, and just under 1M in the west.

Those are excellent western sales for Japanese-centric franchises. I'm not sure how much more you can expect, regardless of the platform (or multi-platform) choice.

Now this one has moneyhat writte all over it. The fact that X as an MMO has no PC version is quite strange

Yeah, the lack of a PC version is odd. Although if they were really insistent on using a subscription model for the game, the PC space is a brutal place to launch a new subscription MMO these days. They may have felt that the console space offered a better chance at making a subscription model work.

But yeah - I suspect heavy involvement from Nintendo as well.

(I'm guessing SE will focus more on smartphones from now on).

I get the feeling that Wada's resignation had just as much to do with the failure of the Eidos takeover, and the overall failure of SE's shift in focus on the west, as it does with any of the failures on the Japanese side of the ledger.

Nekki

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

LM2 sell-through 84.79%

Also massive difference on LM1 LTD: 604k (Famitsu has it ~350k)

Edit: I just remembered this from when I was searching for old data. Luigi's Mansion first week:

Media Create: 230,132
Dengeki: 133,677
Famitsu: 116,784

This explains a lot, lol.

And good to see confirmation of the high sellthrough, even if we knew first shipment wasn't 500k.

Bruno MB

The release schedule overall in Japan is so anemic that the no. 20 on Comgnet has only 9pt. I don't even remember the last time it was so low.

Candidates for April prediction:

[PS3;360] Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3
[PSP] 7th Dragon 2020 II
[3DS] Tomodachi Collection Shin Seikatsu
[PS3] Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
[3DS] Cardfight!! Vanguard Ride to Victory

Anything else that might sell more than 50k?

Just two big titles for Golden Week, and I'm still not sure how big Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen will be. I tend to think that it will sell half of what Dragon's Dogma did.

At least Tomodachi Collection is a very interesting title to predict. So far I've been underestimating massively all over-performing 3DS Nintendo titles: Fire Emblem: Awakening, Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Luigi's Mansion 2. Hopefully it won't happen for a fourth time.

Why do people fetishise the support of NIS/Falcom/Gust so much? Their games hardly sell anything and yes, their support means something - but not a great deal. Do people in Japan talk about them as much as NeoGAF does?

Indeed. Those are software houses that are pretty irrelevant from a commercial point of view. NIS is also declining, the last Disgaea bombed hard. Gust grew during this generation, but it has basically only Atelier, and the series is declining. Falcom saw nice numbers on PSP but choosing Vita and PS3 it doesn't seem it will be able to replicate those.

thuway

I really hope Vita sales keep improving. It is the perfect portable machine. For as much as I like my 3DS, Vita hardware trumps it.

test_account

XP-39C²
DIVA F - 177pt
OPM2 - 267pt
Thanks :) Does that number include the Treasure Box (limited edition) version? But i see that One Piece Musou 2 picked up in the last two weeks or so. I remember that Diva F was above OPM2 earlier, and since we talked a bit about it, i was curious how the final result was when both games were out =)

Gambit

At this point Nintendo doesn't just need exclusives, they also need to start paying for ports.

It's a situation I don't think I have ever seen a console manufacturer in before, but, well...

I am wondering: if we take the Crysis 3 situation, where it apparently did run on Wii U, but the publisher said No to the release, would it be possible for Nintendo to step in and fund the port themselves?

Would that legally interfere with the rights of the original publisher who funded the whole development?

The same goes for other games like DMC, Tomb Raider etc.

I am wondering: if we take the Crysis 3 situation, where it apparently did run on Wii U, but the publisher said No to the release, would it be possible for Nintendo to step in and fund the port themselves?

Would that legally interfere with the rights of the original publisher who funded the whole development?

They would have to pay EA to buy the publishing rights. EA might not be willing to sell them to Nintendo given the bad blood.

The same goes for other games like DMC, Tomb Raider etc.

Well they couldn't do it without the permission of the publisher though it would be unlikely the publisher would say no but it'd be a very dangerous situation to get into as why would any publisher bother porting games to them ever if they could just expect Nintendo to pick up the tab

Gambit

They would have to pay EA to buy the publishing rights. EA might not be willing to sell them to Nintendo given the bad blood.

That's what I assumed. The rights lie with the publisher, not the developer in that case.

Well they couldn't do it without the permission of the publisher though it would be unlikely the publisher would say no but it'd be a very dangerous situation to get into as why would any publisher bother porting games to them ever if they could just expect Nintendo to pick up the tab

You're probably right. It's a slippery slope that could shift the whole dynamic between publisher and console manufacturer.

That's what I assumed. The rights lie with the publisher, not the developer in that case.

You're probably right. It's a slippery slope that could shift the whole dynamic between publisher and console manufacturer.

To clarify slightly as Zomgbbqftw seems to contradict me, the situation I suggest would involve Nintendo funding/developing the port but publishing would still be by original publisher

Wii U is performing bad right now and third party support is looking very bad right now, but lets not forget how bad the Wii's third party support was also, the price is still high and there's no real system seller, but look at how the 3DS and PS3 was performing. I really hope Iwata is sacrificing this period for a better second half of the year and beyond. They really need third party support this go around unless they find their Wii Sports, the 3DS wouldn't be where its at without the third party support.

At the very least the Wii U already has a few multis worthwhile like Rayman Legend (lol) and Watch_Dogs, but there's still many missing. I just hope this improves to a significant degree after awhile instead of going back to zero again.

I really don't want to see DQ XI going to 3DS. A console release would do a great job to reviving the series in the west and the game would really improve from it too. I had always thought DQ could potentially be somewhere close to FF popularity in the West but restricting it to a handheld will not do this. I am sure more revenue can be made from a console iteration too but not sure about profit.

DQ XI on consoles and even PS4 would be a dream to me.

Just something I was thinking on after MGS finally had a proper reveal but what other big or at least decent selling 3rd party home console franchises are likely to get a new announcement in the near future?

We know there is something Final Fantasy at E3 and Dark Souls 2 has been announced but it seems like alot of other franchises hit within the last 18 months to a year. Yakuza, Resident Evil, Tekken, Dynasty Warriors, OP musou, DMC, Dragons Dogma, DOA, DQ (more likely to be 3ds anyway i think) are unlikely to have anything until next year at the earliest.

All I can think of off the top of my head is Street Fighter(or a Capcom fighter at least), Sonic, Tales of and Persona.

What am I missing?

MGS will be out in PS4's first year. It also has two releases iirc ( a bit like GT5P and GT5 but closer to each other obviously)

FF (versus?) if rumours are to be believed is now a PS4 exclusive. A mainline FF for the platform will help it tremendously in the first year.

Dark Souls, Tales of, Persona, and a capcom fighter seem to relatively safe bets.
DD team hopefully are working on a sequel or DD2. The demo at the PS4 meeting might be it.

I am sure Sega has something for it, not Yakuza though. Sega have supported the PS3 really well.

I can't think of anymore. If PS4 launches at the right price, I can see it taking off.

I really don't want to see DQ XI going to 3DS. A console release would do a great job to reviving the series in the west and the game would really improve from it too. I had always thought DQ could potentially be somewhere close to FF popularity in the West but restricting it to a handheld will not do this. I am sure more revenue can be made from a console iteration too but not sure about profit.

DQIX sold about as well as DQVIII in the west so I dunno what you're talking about.

BriBri

Wii U is performing bad right now and third party support is looking very bad right now, but lets not forget how bad the Wii's third party support was also, the price is still high and there's no real system seller, but look at how the 3DS and PS3 was performing. I really hope Iwata is sacrificing this period for a better second half of the year and beyond. They really need third party support this go around unless they find their Wii Sports, the 3DS wouldn't be where its at without the third party support.

At the very least the Wii U already has a few multis worthwhile like Rayman Legend (lol) and Watch_Dogs, but there's still many missing. I just hope this improves to a significant degree after awhile instead of going back to zero again.
Whilst I do agree with the bulk of your post I do have to question just how cheap Nintendo can drop the price. I think it's often overlooked that the GamePad adds just so much to the total cost and unless they go down the clone console plastic route, I'm not sure how much more they can cut corners to reduce the price of the production. Unless they are prepared to really lose their ass at retail.

Nekki

MGS will be out in PS4's first year. It also has two releases iirc ( a bit like GT5P and GT5 but closer to each other obviously)

FF (versus?) if rumours are to be believed is now a PS4 exclusive. A mainline FF for the platform will help it tremendously in the first year.

Dark Souls, Tales of, Persona, and a capcom fighter seem to relatively safe bets.
DD team hopefully are working on a sequel or DD2. The demo at the PS4 meeting might be it.

I am sure Sega has something for it, not Yakuza though. Sega have supported the PS3 really well.

I can't think of anymore. If PS4 launches at the right price, I can see it taking off.

Misinformation, how does it work??

Now this one has moneyhat writte all over it. The fact that X as an MMO has no PC version is quite strange

Indeed. No PC version and then not released on consoles with superior online capabilities.

3DS is definitely getting DQ XI.

But in my dream world I'd like to see it on the PS4 because I really want to see the cel-shading capabilities of a next-gen console in a JRPG with a large budget. Wii U would be fine too though.

I wonder that if there's no suitable console for DQ next gen that they'll keep mainline DQ games on the 3DS exclusively. Hopefully not though.

I wanna see what they do with DQVIII first. I think that's coming before DQXI. They could just port it to 3DS, but it wouldn't look much better than the original, if it looks better at all. Ideally we would see it on PS3 or maybe PS3/PSV combo if Sony moneyhats, the problem here is the lack of a DQ audience on Playstation since DQ hasn't been on a PS console in 7 years. It could also get a remake on WiiU, the problem here is the really small userbase. I honestly think SE will opt for putting DQVIII on 3DS and we can't even blame them as it makes business sense and it'll probably sell over a million in Japan for just a port. It is sad for us that would like to re experience the game in HD glory though.

DQIX sold about as well as DQVIII in the west so I dunno what you're talking about.

Do you have sales figures? I would like to see. Regardless, DQ and MH will never be as popular in the west as they are in Japan. SE and Capcom dream daily of that happening, but it just won't. FF, even with its major decline, is still going to be more popular than either of those in the west.

1. the series does not need to be revived in the West; it has never been popular, after all. Neither VIII nor IX sold as well as in Japan. But IX sold better than VIII (without having a Final Fantasy XII demo...). This showed how Western video gamers do not care a lot about the franchise, even if it is a viable product (but not a massive one, like Final Fantasy was used to be, or Kingdom Hearts until last generation).

2. how is the franchise supposed to be revived if it will be launched on a platform that is still to be released (PS4)? And about PS3, it will not sell more than 4 million in Japan in my opinion, and revenues would be bigger on 3DS.

I wanna see what they do with DQVIII first. I think that's coming before DQXI. They could just port it to 3DS, but it wouldn't look much better than the original, if it looks better at all. Ideally we would see it on PS3 or maybe PS3/PSV combo if Sony moneyhats, the problem here is the lack of a DQ audience on Playstation since DQ hasn't been on a PS console in 7 years. It could also get a remake on WiiU, the problem here is the really small userbase. I honestly think SE will opt for putting DQVIII on 3DS and we can't even blame them as it makes business sense and it'll probably sell over a million in Japan for just a port. It is sad for us that would like to re experience the game in HD glory though.

I thought Dragon Quest has always been a less-cinematic more gameplay-focused jRPG. I don't see why its fans want to play it if and only if it has HD graphics. Probably they are fans since the eight entry, which was technically gorgeous. But Dragon Quest was never a technical masterpiece, in particular with respect to Final Fantasy. And I doubt if Dragon Quest will ever reach an HD platform, it will be graphical beast.

Do you have sales figures? I would like to see. Regardless, DQ and MH will never be as popular in the west as they are in Japan. SE and Capcom dream daily of that happening, but it just won't. FF, even with its major decline, is still going to be more popular than either of those in the west.

As for Dragon Quest IX: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110128e.pdf
Anyway, this link has been posted thousands of times, I still cannot believe how people are reluctant to think that IX actually sold well in the West.
As for Dragon Quest VIII: http://www.level5.co.jp/products/dq9/staff.html
Level-5 wrote they shipped 4.9 million units worldwide.

BriBri

Maybe revive is the wrong word but I'm with him I want DQ back on consoles. Stopped following it once it went to portables. I would even take a WiiU version.
Business decisions aren't made for a couple of GAFfers though, but for the Japanese buying public.

Why do you think a DQVIII remake is happening before DQXI? I think it's the other way around; a DQVIII remake will be saved for a system that is popular enough and powerful enough to do it justice. I don't think DQVIII will appear on the 3DS.

End of fiscal year in 2010, Nintendo published sales figures of about 1.02 million in the west. Not sure I can find a link right now, but that was the case. I know DQVIII also did over a million in the west, though, so they basically did similarly.

Edit/ I see other have posted links.

Thanks for the numbers on DQIX in the west. It would be cool to see DQVIII as well, if anyone has them.

Why do you think a DQVIII remake is happening before DQXI? I think it's the other way around; a DQVIII remake will be saved for a system that is popular enough and powerful enough to do it justice. I don't think DQVIII will appear on the 3DS.

I don't know, I just think it'll show up prior to XI.

Wouldn't you say the PS3 meets your criteria (popular enough and powerful enough to do it justice)? But it's tough to put it there because SE has neglected the playstation audience for way too long and I'm not sure there's any DQ fans there.

Shahed

DQIX sold better in the west on a handheld than on a console in DQVIII. With the 3DS in the position it is, and when you consider the tastes of each market, it makes no real sense to have the next DQ on anything other than 3DS. That's not to say I don't get part of the reason Psycho Mantis said you could expand the audience on consoles in the west further.

Now this is purely anectodal, but I had never heard of Dragon Quest until VIII released. Neither had my friends or family. We all pretty much loved it and looked forward to another. However since then there hasn't been a release on consoles to further expand that audience. Now I've since gone and played IV, V, VI and IX on DS and enjoyed them, although not to the same degree. Every now and then someone will ask me if there's any word on a new game in the series, but they all lose interest when I tell them it's on a handheld. So while not completely sound, there is some argument that successive console releases would build an audience to further sales. Kind of like how DQIX followed after the remakes on DS

Saying that there might be a degree of bias in this post, since on a personal note I'd much rather have a new Dragon Quest on WiI U, PS3 or PS4 instead of 3DS. Even if I am a handheld owner, I just prefer consoles

I don't know, I just think it'll show up prior to XI.

Wouldn't you say the PS3 meets your criteria (popular enough and powerful enough to do it justice)? But it's tough to put it there because SE has neglected the playstation audience for way too long and I'm not sure there's any DQ fans there.

Technically the PS3 does fit the criteria, but DQVIIr has only just been released and give or take 2-3 years of a hypothetical DQVIIIr and the PS3 might very well be already dead by then. Not that DQ games haven't released on systems that were getting long in the tooth...but as you suggested, there was a DQ base already built on them which the PS3 lacks.

DQIX sold better in the west on a handheld than on a console in DQVIII. With the 3DS in the position it is, and when you consider the tastes of each market, it makes no real sense to have the next DQ on anything other than 3DS. That's not to say I don't get part of the reason Psycho Mantis said you could expand the audience on consoles in the west further.

Now this is purely anectodal, but I had never heard of Dragon Quest until VIII released. Neither had my friends or family. We all pretty much loved it and looked forward to another. However since then there hasn't been a release on consoles to further expand that audience. Now I've since gone and played IV, V, VI and IX on DS and enjoyed them, although not to the same degree. Every now and then someone will ask me if there's any word on a new game in the series, but they all lose interest when I tell them it's on a handheld. So while not completely sound, there is a some argument that successive console releases would build an audience to further sales. Kind of like of DQIX followed after the remakes on DS

Saying that there might be a degree of bias in this post, since on a personal note I'd much rather have a new Dragon Quest on WiI U, PS3 or PS4 instead of 3DS

I'm personally expecting dragon quest 11 will be primarily a 3ds game but with an upresed port on Wii u

It might also depend on the terms of Crytek's deal with EA. Crytek owns the game outright so they might have options if EA holds a potential Wii U version hostage.

DaBoss

A bit unrelated, but what's the deal with Crytek and EA and allowing Crytek to release the games on other DD services? I remember after a while, Crysis 2 came out for Steam.

That seems unlikely.
The point is Crytek owns the game and IP and if EA (Partners) prevents a potential port out of your "bad blood" scenario, there's likely still recourse for Crytek.

It's all academic though as Nintendo obviously isn't interested either.

A bit unrelated, but what's the deal with Crytek and EA and allowing Crytek to release the games on other DD services? I remember after a while, Crysis 2 came out for Steam.
Cysis falls under EA Partners, so the deal is probably similar to EA's deals with Harmonix, Valve, etc. It's possible Crytek might be able to selfpublish on the eShop if they felt so inclined too.

Now this is purely anectodal, but I had never heard of Dragon Quest until VIII released. Neither had my friends or family. We all pretty much loved it and looked forward to another. However since then there hasn't been a release on consoles to further expand that audience. Now I've since gone and played IV, V, VI and IX on DS and enjoyed them, although not to the same degree. Every now and then someone will ask me if there's any word on a new game in the series, but they all lose interest when I tell them it's on a handheld. So while not completely sound, there is some argument that successive console releases would build an audience to further sales. Kind of like how DQIX followed after the remakes on DS

Saying that there might be a degree of bias in this post, since on a personal note I'd much rather have a new Dragon Quest on WiI U, PS3 or PS4 instead of 3DS. Even if I am a handheld owner, I just prefer consoles

Is there any actual data to prove this? One of the posters said DQ IX sold 1.02 million in the West. DQ VIII shipped 4.9 million WW. With DQ VIII selling 3.5 million in Japan I think its safe to assume that DQ VIII did 1+ million in the West unless Level 5 vastly over shipped. Oh and that anecdote is what I am trying to say. Many of my friends and me did not buy DQ IX despite loving DQ VIII. There is potential for some growth in the West far more than if it were on a handheld imo.

Business decisions aren't made for a couple of GAFfers though, but for the buying public.

Fixed. DQ IX and VIII did around the same numbers WW and I am sure a larger revenue was made with DQ VIII.

1. the series does not need to be revived in the West; it has never been popular, after all. Neither VIII nor IX sold as well as in Japan. But IX sold better than VIII (without having a Final Fantasy XII demo...). This showed how Western video gamers do not care a lot about the franchise, even if it is a viable product (but not a massive one, like Final Fantasy was used to be, or Kingdom Hearts until last generation).

2. how is the franchise supposed to be revived if it will be launched on a platform that is still to be released (PS4)? And about PS3, it will not sell more than 4 million in Japan in my opinion, and revenues would be bigger on 3DS.

1. It has potential to grow in the West something SE may want. VIII and IX sold around the same WW and 1 million is very good in the West for a JRPG.

2. I was dreaming about a PS4 version lol but PS3 or even PS3/PS4 seems to fit the criteria. If you look at the retail rpice of DQ VIII and IX you will notice VIII was 1.5 times more expensive. Therefore if the PS3 version sold something like 3 million (thats under performing imo) the 3DS version needs to sell 4.5 million copies to equal revenue. The DS version could not even do that. Larger revenues are more likely on console though but profits is unknown which is a big factor.

I thought Dragon Quest has always been a less-cinematic more gameplay-focused jRPG. I don't see why its fans want to play it if and only if it has HD graphics. Probably they are fans since the eight entry, which was technically gorgeous. But Dragon Quest was never a technical masterpiece, in particular with respect to Final Fantasy. And I doubt if Dragon Quest will ever reach an HD platform, it will be graphical beast.

Your right. DQ never relied on CG cinematic cutscenes etc but a step in visuals will do nothing but help the series garner more attention.

I think a good example is Ni No Kuni. I am sure the reason it got a lot of attention from gamers is because of its art style and gameplay.

I would take a DQ game looking like this:

ni-no-kuni-forest.jpg
than this:

It would certainly garner more attention and would engross you in the world much more.

Rolf NB

Indeed. Those are software houses that are pretty irrelevant from a commercial point of view. NIS is also declining, the last Disgaea bombed hard. Gust grew during this generation, but it has basically only Atelier, and the series is declining. Falcom saw nice numbers on PSP but choosing Vita and PS3 it doesn't seem it will be able to replicate those.
http://garaph.info/gamesearch.php//titleenglish/disgaea%/stte/0/stpl/0/stpu/0/opt/1/

Disgaea 4 outsold Disgaea 3 and Disgaea 1 and every single portable release. It places second on the list of best-selling Disgaea games.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Why not? Would mean its available portably for the masses and also available for the niche that wants it on the big screen

It makes no sense to start porting the latest DQ entries around. It will be on one platform like the rest (the MMO being an exception).

1. Disgaea has not bombed hard. D4 was the second best selling Disgaea of all time. If your talking about D2 that just released then its probably because its not a mainline sequel.

2.Gust has had a lot of growth. I am also curious in why you say Atelier series is declining when Atelier Meruru: Alchemist of Arland 3 was the best selling title in the franchise and came out on ps3.

3. The last LoH did 194 000 on PSP. We will have to see how they do on PS3 and PSV. The HD collections should at least help build a base.

Is there any actual data to prove this? One of the posters said DQ IX sold 1.02 million in the West. DQ VIII shipped 4.9 million WW. With DQ VIII selling 3.5 million in Japan I think its safe to assume that DQ VIII did 1+ million in the West unless Level 5 vastly over shipped. Oh and that anecdote is what I am trying to say. Many of my friends and me did not buy DQ IX despite loving DQ VIII. There is potential for some growth in the West far more than if it were on a handheld imo.
The 4.9m DQVIII figure is lifetime from years after release, and the only concrete western figures we have is 430k NA and 410k EU in it's first 5 months. For comparison DQIX's 1.02m western figure was also it's first 5 months only worldwide.

Fixed. DQ IX and VIII did around the same numbers WW and I am sure a larger revenue was made with DQ VIII.
DQIX did at least 5.32m to DQVIII's 4.9m worldwide given what we can piece together of shipments. Likely a bit higher really.

DQVIII had a higher pricepoint, but DQIX also had lower dev costs (and a sweetheart Nintendo publishing/advertising deal). I'd wager the latter was likely more profitable.

Mario007

1. Disgaea has not bombed hard. D4 was the second best selling Disgaea of all time. If your talking about D2 that just released then its probably because its not a mainline sequel.

2.Gust has had a lot of growth. I am also curious in why you say Atelier series is declining when Atelier Meruru: Alchemist of Arland 3 was the best selling title in the franchise and came out on ps3.

3. The last LoH did 194 000 on PSP. We will have to see how they do on PS3 and PSV. The HD collections should at least help build a base.
Don't worry it's just his usual matra of everything's a success on a Nintendo system and everything is in decline/will decline/ should be declining on a Sony system so the franchises should either jump to Nintendo or they will slowly die off and Sony will have no franchises on their platforms either way.

The point is Crytek owns the game and IP and if EA (Partners) prevents a potential port out of your "bad blood" scenario, there's likely still recourse for Crytek.

It's all academic though as Nintendo obviously isn't interested either.

EA probably own all of the publishing rights to Crysis 3 on consoles as a part of their deal. If Crytek want to get it on Wii U they will have to buy those publishing rights back for Wii U and sell them to Nintendo. There probably isn't enough money to be made for Crytek to bother with it. Therefore it's up to Nintendo to buy the publishing rights from EA, or at least the licence to publish it on Wii U, so the game would be developed by Crytek and published under licence from EA by Nintendo.

However, as you said Nintendo don't seem to be too bothered so it's all moot.

crinale

DQVIII had a higher pricepoint, but DQIX also had lower dev costs (and a sweetheart Nintendo publishing/advertising deal). I'd wager the latter was likely more profitable.

I really don't know the truth but given that DQ9 project once got scrapped and started over the dev cost should be enormous...
Again this is purely my speculation (aside from DQ9 project got huge rollback) so who knows.

The 4.9m DQVIII figure is lifetime from years after release, and the only concrete western figures we have is 430k NA and 410k EU in it's first 5 months. For comparison DQIX's 1.02m western figure was also it's first 5 months only worldwide.

DQIX did at least 5.32m to DQVIII's 4.9m worldwide given what we can piece together of shipments. Likely a bit higher really.

I see thanks for the clarification. So DQ VIII sold 162k less in the first 5 months in the West.

Assuming both games sold through their shipments:

DQ IX in the west did (5.32-4.16 = 1.16)
DQ VIII in the west did (4.9-3.54 = 1.36)

I doubt most of DQ VIII sold that at retail price but after bomba prices.

I am sure Sony also did the advertising for DQ 8.

Profit I am not sure but most likely DS gave the better profit.

Top Bottom