• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2013 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

one of the biggest chain store in Japan is... nothing ?

rotfl
For sales-age? Yes.

The chain is heavily slanted towards Sony stuff, so its not a good preview for real sales data. COMGNET is even a better indication, since its not trying to emulate any sales charts.

Sure the Tsutaya rankings can be accurate now and then, but its kinda like relying on vgchartzzz for sales data.

Its also kinda like the PAL Charts since it has no numbers, its ok for a preview I guess, but without actual numbers, there's not much else to spur discussion.

For sales-age? Yes.

The chain is heavily slanted towards Sony stuff, so its not a good preview for real sales data. COMGNET is even a better indication, since its not trying to emulate any sales charts.

Sure the Tsutaya rankings can be accurate now and then, but its kinda like relying on vgchartzzz for sales data.

Comgnet shops are tracked by MC or Enterbrain ?

duckroll

Okay, let me explain why Tsutaya rankings are pretty much useless for Japanese Sales-age. Unlike say, the UK Chart threads, we actually get weekly numbers from the two biggest trackers in Japan. So there's no point in playing some guessing game using a single retailer chart which doesn't even have numbers. Something at #1 means practically nothing when there isn't any amount attached to it. Is it a big sales week? A slow sales week? Pretty much impossible to tell from the chart alone, plus it only applies to a single retail chain.

COMGnet is also practically useless for actually trying to calculate sales numbers, but what it does offer is a look at how hot consumer pre-orders are on upcoming titles at a single retail chain with actual numbers which can be compared to prior data sources in the same chain. So there's actually something to discuss.

For sales-age? Yes.

Its also kinda like the PAL Charts since it has no numbers, its ok for a preview I guess, but without actual numbers, there's not much else to spur discussion.

huh.gif

Comgnet shows pre orders iirc but preorders don't really give us too much information about the sales.

EDIT: Aren't the Tsutaya rankings somewhat representative of MC data or are they usually wrong?

Comgnet shows pre orders iirc but preorders don't really give us too much information about the sales.

EDIT: Aren't the Tsutaya rankings somewhat representative of MC data or are they usually wrong?
Uh, big preorders means big sales, its not that hard to understand. I never said it was good for actual sales data, but its a good indication, we've seen it many times already.

Stop asking stupid questions when there's one reply just above you that explained it.

This is why Nintendo should never flop sales-wise, we get an influx of posters who have no clue regarding sales-age posting, its annoying having people cherry pick one single line from your post just to try to make you look wrong. So dumb.

one of the biggest chain store in Japan is... nothing ?

rotfl

I wrote almost nothing. We have firms that cover the vast majority of the market, why relying on charts of one chain store? As big as it might be, it is not a relevant sample at all. Anyway, he explained better than me:

Okay, let me explain why Tsutaya rankings are pretty much useless for Japanese Sales-age. Unlike say, the UK Chart threads, we actually get weekly numbers from the two biggest trackers in Japan. So there's no point in playing some guessing game using a single retailer chart which doesn't even have numbers. Something at #1 means practically nothing when there isn't any amount attached to it. Is it a big sales week? A slow sales week? Pretty much impossible to tell from the chart alone, plus it only applies to a single retail chain.

COMGnet is also practically useless for actually trying to calculate sales numbers, but what it does offer is a look at how hot consumer pre-orders are on upcoming titles at a single retail chain with actual numbers which can be compared to prior data sources in the same chain. So there's actually something to discuss.

duckroll

Stop asking stupid questions when there's one reply just above you that explained it.

This is why Nintendo should never flop sales-wise, we get an influx of posters who have no clue regarding sales-age posting, its annoying having people cherry pick one single line from your post just to try to make you look wrong. So dumb.

I don't think there's any need to be rude about it though. As the forum grows we should expect that not everyone will be completely familiar with how every thread operates, and there's no harm in explaining basics to people who have an interest in the topic but might not be well informed about different information sources or what we usually talk about in here.

Uh, big preorders means big sales, its not that hard to understand. I never said it was good for actual sales data, but its a good indication, we've seen it many times already.

Oh shit sorry if I offended you bro. I was just going along the idea that just because a title has a higher comgnet rating it does not mean it will have higher week 1 sales. My bad if I was wrong.

I don't think there's any need to be rude about it though. As the forum grows we should expect that not everyone will be completely familiar with how every thread operates, and there's no harm in explaining basics to people who have an interest in the topic but might not be well informed about different information sources or what we usually talk about in here.
Its annoying because you just explained it and he chose to ignore it. I guess I overreacted a bit, but its been happening quite a bit lately. I don't mean to call anyone stupid, just what they're doing is stupid I guess.

Oh shit sorry if I offended you bro. I was just going along the idea that just because a title has a higher comgnet rating it does not mean it will have higher week 1 sales. My bad if I was wrong.
Well actually, when you compare the game's COMGNET numbers to its predecessors' numbers, 99% of the time it will reflect in the sales. eg. higher COMGNET numbers means higher first week sales. Its good in that its a per game basis, instead of a whole chart with no numbers.

You didn't offend me, and its not your fault, like I said, its been happening alot lately in these threads. I apologise.

duckroll

I personally find that COMGnet is more useful for comparing against past performance, rather than comparing different titles coming out at the same time. If there are two games coming out next week for example, and one has a higher COMGnet preorder point rating than the other, it doesn't always mean that it will sell better, because some titles perform better on preorders at other retail chains (because of retailer exclusive goodies) while some titles tend to sell really well on weekends without preorders at all (more mainstream stuff which don't have rabid hardcore games for example).

What is useful about COMGnet is that you can get a good idea of whether a sequel or a new title in a franchise is doing better or worse compared to a previous title, and by how much. If Man Shooter 3 has 500 points the week before it is released, while Man Shooter 2 had 1600 points, that is usually a good indication that there is less interest in the new title compared to the previous release.

I'm talking bout the preorder ranking that Mpl usually posts. It doesn't matter if its tracked by MC or Enterbrain, its a good indication of first week sales for many games.

Sword Art Online
comgnet : 321pt
1st week : 129k (F) 128k (MC)

Soul Sacrifice
comgnet : 152pt
1st week : 105k (F) 114k (MC)

comgnet good indication ?

DrWong

Sword Art Online

Soul Sacrifice

I think you're missing the point.

What is useful about COMGnet is that you can get a good idea of whether a sequel or a new title in a franchise is doing better or worse compared to a previous title, and by how much. If Man Shooter 3 has 500 points the week before it is released, while Man Shooter 2 had 1600 points, that is usually a good indication that there is less interest in the new title compared to the previous release.

Or we could wait until Wednesday. Seriously though, we get concrete numbers every week for Japan, better than any other territory, it is almost not worth speculating over. I find the greater discussion on where the Japanese game industry is now and headed, and what these sales mean for the western audience to be the better discussion.

Now the NPD thread is where things get crazy speculative, be thankful Japan avoids that.

Comgnet has been shit for predicting Vita sales since start of generation.
And in PSP/NDS generation it was mostly useless for predicting NDS sales.

Sword Art Online

Soul Sacrifice

Its useful for comparing the same games, eg. SS 1 vs SS2, FF1 vs FF2 etc. I already explained that in my other posts if you only bothered to read them, duckroll did too actually just one post above you!

Reading and listening, seems like people these days don't know what that is, ironically, this is supposed to be a discussion forum, ha.

Its useful for comparing the same games, eg. SS 1 vs SS2, FF1 vs FF2 etc. I already explained that in my other posts if you only bothered to read them, duckroll did too actually just one post above you!

Reading and listening, seems like people these days don't know what that is, ironically, this is supposed to be a discussion forum, ha.

i read duckroll post after posting mine, it took a while to search those data (if you notice there are 14 minutes from his post and mine, which was a reply to your post)

i understand what he meant, so it's ok, i won't bother you anymore and i will remember that a small group of shops in Niigata is more realiable than anything else in Japan

i read duckroll post after posting mine, it took a while to search those data (if you notice there are 14 minutes from his post and mine, which was a reply to your post)

i understand what he meant, so it's ok, i won't bother you anymore and i will remember that a small group of shops in Niigata is more realiable than anything else in Japan
Yep, because someone in here really claimed anything like that right?

Comgnet has been shit for predicting Vita sales since start of generation.
And in PSP/NDS generation it was mostly useless for predicting NDS sales.
It wasn't useless, the DS just had many games with huge legs rather than being frontloaded due to the DS' audience, which is why using COMGNET for them didn't work too well. I'm sure games with a more dedicated following would have been consistent with COMGNET data though.

Mario007

Yep, because someone in here really claimed anything like that right?

It wasn't useless, the DS just had many games with huge legs rather than being frontloaded due to the DS' audience, which is why using COMGNET for them didn't work too well. I'm sure games with a more dedicated following would have been consistent with COMGNET data though.

No one claimed that, indeed.

?

VAPitts

Fixed that for you.

Schuelma is correct, there are genuine data points to take away. The NSMB series can't buoy sales on its own and needs a pre-existing games roster for it to be a hardware mover, NintendoLand was marketed in a way that didn't sell on its redeeming qualities (much like the system itself) and people aren't buying it.

Economic times are different, as well. If you're selling steak, you can't give your customers the sizzle and expect them to line up anymore.

A price drop isn't needed, the content to get people lining up is, and that hasn't been there so far.

This is a semantic argument. It's not the consumer's fault that Sony was selling something it couldn't afford to sell you without a steep loss. Something being "overpriced" is less about costs and more about value on dollar.

think what you wanna think, they have a strategy. that can include games.

We get actual numbers 2 days after the tsutaya charts, so I'm not really sure why anyone would give a shit about faulty data that will be disproved later. Comgnet is only good for predicting complete underperformances and bombs. That's why no one is posting the useless weekly comgnet charts. I do find it sad that the one place we still get amazing data from has us talking about crap Famitsu's most wanted at points.

To anyone who says this, if NSMBU isn't moving some systems, what game do you think is? Nintendo Land?

Basically, NSMBU may not be a single-game system seller for most, but it seems like it'd have to be for some or the Wii U wouldn't have started off the way it did. Also would go a fair way to explaining EU's results, since Mario has never been as big a draw there as in JPN/U.S. due to Nintendo not really having a strong presence there back in the NES/SNES days, if I recall previous posts on the matter correctly.
Killer app, perhaps, is the better terminology then. (But if the term "system seller" is ascribed to essentially any game that sells some number of systems regardless of the magnitude of that effect, then it's a relatively meaningless term.
Yes, the core Nintendo faithful have jumped in at launch. And they're the ones still buying the system now.
But the sentiment prior to launch was very different with regard to NSMB and it's system selling potential towards people beyond this Nintendo core base.
How about include the part where I said the system is too expensive and that there's no games out for it yet? It'd make much more sense that way.
So, it's too high a price for the expanded audience and there aren't enough games aimed at that audience. While the expanded audience bought Wiis at ridiculous prices and the headlining games for this system launch were essentially a Wii Sports successor in intent, if not result, and a game that sold incredibly well to the expanded audience.

It's not just that the USP isn't appealing to the expanded audience and Nintendo's core IP in itself isn't enough to get them to buy the system.

maltrain

Aren't the Tsutaya rankings somewhat representative of MC data or are they usually wrong?

Just look at the past Tsutaya's rankings and you'll see their TOP 20 is very accurate. Not least than 15 games are the same every week. But, of course, it doesn't have numbers, so it's only an indicative. I don't see the point of this discussion...

So, it's too high a price for the expanded audience and there aren't enough games aimed at that audience. While the expanded audience bought Wiis at ridiculous prices and the headlining games for this system launch were essentially a Wii Sports successor in intent, if not result, and a game that sold incredibly well to the expanded audience.

It's not just that the USP isn't appealing to the expanded audience and Nintendo's core IP in itself isn't enough to get them to buy the system.
I think the games argument is valid (moreso than price at least). Nintendo Land really isn't a good substitute for Wii Sports, it's complex, it's lengthy, it's more linear, it has a stronger core gamer push and it's comparably unfocused. Intent I can see an argument for, but the results aren't really anywhere near the same in execution. Wii Sports wasn't the only casual 1st party launch offering either, it was butressed by Wii Play and Wario Ware day one, both of which also sold surprisingly well. Wii Sports wasn't single handedly moving Wii units in 06/07, it was just leading the pack.

As for NSMBU, I think the real problem there lies in NSMB2 launching so close to it. Had the 3DS game not been on the radar I think there'd be a lot more consumer interest in the U game, but as is people seem satiated just picking up the one for the system everyone already has for now. It was a strategic blunder on NCL's part, and as a result only the Nintendo "core" bought the system for it. It might as well have been Twilight Princess II.

The games argument I still think falls to "not enough" for Wii's casual mainstream base to upgrade, though unlike some western nations I do think this market still exists on consoles (as evidenced by sales of Rhythm Heaven Fever, Taiko Super DLX, Mario Party 9, Just Dance Wii/2, DQX, etc, in recent years). Just NLand and NSMBU isn't enough for them though, not right now.

Killer app, perhaps, is the better terminology then. (But if the term "system seller" is ascribed to essentially any game that sells some number of systems regardless of the magnitude of that effect, then it's a relatively meaningless term.
Yes, the core Nintendo faithful have jumped in at launch. And they're the ones still buying the system now.
But the sentiment prior to launch was very different with regard to NSMB and it's system selling potential towards people beyond this Nintendo core base.

You know there can be more than one reason a system doesn't sell. You're acting like no one knows Mario isn't enough to carry a system by himself, its quite obvious you know? Its just too bad NSMBU didn't manage to move more sales, and the major reason why is the outdated, boring look thats been done many times and the close release of NSMB2.

I think the games argument is valid (moreso than price at least). Nintendo Land really isn't a good substitute for Wii Sports, it's complex, it's lengthy, it's more linear, it has a stronger core gamer push and it's comparably unfocused. Intent I can see an argument for, but the results aren't really anywhere near the same in execution. Wii Sports wasn't the only casual 1st party launch offering either, it was butressed by Wii Play and Wario Ware day one, both of which also sold surprisingly well. Wii Sports wasn't single handedly moving Wii units in 06/07, it was just leading the pack.

As for NSMBU, I think the real problem there lies in NSMB2 launching so close to it. Had the 3DS game not been on the radar I think there'd be a lot more consumer interest in the U game, but as is people seem satiated just picking up the one for the system everyone already has for now. It was a strategic blunder on NCL's part, and as a result only the Nintendo "core" bought the system for it. It might as well have been Twilight Princess II.

The games argument I still think falls to "not enough" for Wii's casual mainstream base to upgrade, though unlike some western nations I do think this market still exists on consoles (as evidenced by sales of Rhythm Heaven Fever, Taiko Super DLX, Mario Party 9, Just Dance Wii/2, DQX, etc, in recent years). Just NLand and NSMBU isn't enough for them though, not right now.
Wii Sports itself isn't even the reason people bought the Wii, they were sold on the motion gaming concept, Wii Sports is just the carrier.

QaaQer

I don't get the argument that NSMB2 release was too close to NSMBU. I think people overestimate the impact a handheld game would have on early console adopters.

Sure, there is a small percentage of people who might pass on the Wii U and NSMBU becaue they played NSMB2 within the last year, but seriously, how big could that number be?

I don't get the argument that NSMB2 release was too close to NSMBU. I think people overestimate the impact a handheld game would have on early console adopters.

Sure, there is a small percentage of people who might pass on the Wii U and NSMBU becaue they played NSMB2 within the last year, but seriously, how big could that number be?

It's not just about the people who would buy both games. It's about the over saturation of the brand in general and how little there is to differentiate between them. There was one on the DS then on the wii and then 2 different releases within months of each other.

There are games that can get away with this (usually they are more MP orientated) but you don't want to rely on one as the sole reason to buy a brand new expensive console.

QaaQer

It's not just about the people who would buy both games. It's about the over saturation of the brand in general and how little there is to differentiate between them. There was one on the DS then on the wii and then 2 different releases within months of each other.

There are games that can get away with this (usually they are more MP orientated) but you don't want to rely on one as the sole reason to buy a brand new expensive console.

fair enough.

DaBoss

I feel NSMB's strength comes from a low price point for the DS and the Wii. The Wii U and 3DS are at much higher prices than the Wii and DS when both got their NSMBs.

donny2112

Yes, do we have someone who can ask to Enterbrain about it?

DCharlie asked someone from Enterbrain if they included bundled software, and they said no despite it being blatantly obvious that they do include bundled software. Not sure it'd be much use to ask them, then. Just wait and see if it shows up (I think it will be tracked).

COMGnet is slanted toward Sony. That's clear from looking at the relative positions of Nintendo's big sellers on the charts there. Haven't done much looking at Tsutaya (other than their used charts, since they're the only weekly used game sales charts I know of), but others said they were more mass-market representative just due to being a full chain of stores.

Neither should be given full credence for the weekly charts, though, and detailed discussions of them are pretty much as useless as discussions of VGC numbers. They give general indications, but shouldn't tried to be used for specific results. That's given problems before. ;)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I feel NSMB's strength comes from a low price point for the DS and the Wii. The Wii U and 3DS are at much higher prices than the Wii and DS when both got their NSMBs.

3DS is cheaper than the DS lite back then - the games arent selling as much because they arent "new" anymore, which was the whole point after years of not having new 2D mario games those two revival titles pushed the IP as high a we saw saw. But its no Pokemon where they can just keep releasing the same formula and expect record sales. Especially when there are more interesting alternatives like 3D Land on 3DS.

DaBoss

3DS is cheaper than the DS lite back then - the games arent selling as much because they arent "new" anymore, which was the whole point after years of not having new 2D mario games those two revival titles pushed the IP as high a we saw saw. But its no Pokemon where they can just keep releasing the same formula and expect record sales. Especially when there are more interesting alternatives like 3D Land on 3DS.

I guess what I said only applies to the west then.

The games are close enough where buying one for the system you already have is probably enough for the massmarket. That's the issue here, I don't think there's much doubt had it been the only NSMB game last year that U would've driven more sales (and possibly continued to do so). As is the massmarket gets their NSMB fix and can wait until Wii U gets some more games to bother with the other one.

On DS/Wii we never really had this sort of close release for franchises that were comparable in execution. Stuff like Mario Kart, Rhythm Heaven, Animal Crossing or NSMB launched years apart, and gave each version their own time in the spotlight. And on GBA/GC when this happened that hardware gulf was so vast that it demanded completely different game designs, such as Metroid Fusion and Prime.

I think NSMB2 would have been better served being this year's holiday 3DS title.

They planned out 2012 badly in terms of 3DS software so I guess they felt they needed something big for the back half of the year.

They actually planned this year out a little bit better though some big parts of that are localization delays (like Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing) so it's not exactly great. I think they blew their NSMB2 load at the wrong time, though.

noobie

Banned
First day sellthrough

[PSP] Fate/Extra CCC [without Limited Edition] - 60-70%
[PSV] Muramasa: The Demon Blade - 60-70%
[PSV] Sei Madou Monogatari [Limited Edition] - 50%
[PSP] Dungeon Travelers 2: Ouritsu Tokoshan to Mamono no Fuuin [without Limited Edition] - 40-50%
[WII] PreCure All-Stars: Zenin Shuugou Let's Dance! - 30%
[WIU] Game & Wario - zzzzz (20%)

Do we have some shipment numbers too?

Top Bottom