• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2013 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

serplux

I think NSMB2 would have been better served being this year's holiday 3DS title.

They planned out 2012 badly in terms of 3DS software so I guess they felt they needed something big for the back half of the year.

They actually planned this year out a little bit better though some big parts of that are localization delays (like Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing) so it's not exactly great. I think they blew their NSMB2 load at the wrong time, though.

Zelda + Kirby is probably going to be their holiday lineup, by the looks of it, and both are close to million sellers on handhelds in Japan and fairly big sellers here as well. (And personally, I'll take Kirby+Zelda over NSMB anyday).

Mario007

Zelda + Kirby is probably going to be their holiday lineup, by the looks of it, and both are close to million sellers on handhelds in Japan and fairly big sellers here as well. (And personally, I'll take Kirby+Zelda over NSMB anyday).
Forgive my ignorance, and I'm actually being genuine here and not teasing, but how is Kirby any different than NSMB?

serplux

Forgive my ignorance, and I'm actually being genuine here and not teasing, but how is Kirby any different than NSMB?

First of all, he's a fucking badass. Second, his games vary a lot in terms of gameplay (Canvas Curse, Epic Yarn, and The Amazing Mirror are three completely different games). Third, I find Kirby's artstyle to be a lot more charming, and his platforming mechanics are deeper than Mario's. He's just a whole lot of fun.

Edit: Oh, if you were talking about sales performance, he'll probably get above 700k. He's been really consistent over the years.

Thorgal

First day sellthrough

[PSP] Fate/Extra CCC [without Limited Edition] - 60-70%
[PSV] Muramasa: The Demon Blade - 60-70%
[PSV] Sei Madou Monogatari [Limited Edition] - 50%

[PSP] Dungeon Travelers 2: Ouritsu Tokoshan to Mamono no Fuuin [without Limited Edition] - 40-50%
[WII] PreCure All-Stars: Zenin Shuugou Let's Dance! - 30%
[WIU] Game & Wario - zzzzz (20%)

i wonder how many they shipped for both ?

Wario bomba confirmed?

Nekki

He has this quite dedicated following, more or less doing numbers in a very definite ballpark. Kinda like Metal Gear Solid main games, although it's crazy how most entries are very close to each other for MGS.

Depending on how much it strays from the original formula, it has 500k locked. It can go way higher tho (it's been a million seller twice).

Also Muramasa is guaranteed to have a low shipment, but I still feel it can outsell the Wii version.

Mario007

First of all, he's a fucking badass. Second, his games vary a lot in terms of gameplay (Canvas Curse, Epic Yarn, and The Amazing Mirror are three completely different games). Third, I find Kirby's artstyle to be a lot more charming, and his platforming mechanics are deeper than Mario's. He's just a whole lot of fun.
Ok, I guess I'm not too much into platforms to notice the different. Thanks!

serplux

If you're interested, find a copy of Kirby Superstar Ultra.
That's the best game in the series IMO.

I always felt that Superstar was too disjointed; I never liked the fact that I felt I was getting a whole bunch of games packed into one cartridge instead of one solid adventure.

Kirby 2, The Amazing Mirror, and Epic Yarn are my favorite entries.

BlackJace

I always felt that Superstar was too disjointed; I never liked the fact that I felt I was getting a whole bunch of games packed into one cartridge instead of one solid adventure.

I loved it. Amazing Mirror, Nightmare in Dreamland, and Air Ride are up there too.

Epic Yarn, Crystal shards, and Dreamland 3 are my favorite.

redcrayon

Worldwide

Skyward Sword is also a poor game to judge the health of a fan base on as it's the only Zelda game to ever need a peripheral that didn't come with the system to play- I'm surprised it sold as well as it did considering players had to fork out for m+. The DS entries and OOT 3D are a better barometer until we get a 3DS or WiiU entry.

Thorgal

to step away from the nintendo doom for a sec i would like to ask this question again as it was drowned in other posts last time

durring this generation we have seen many japanese developpers move on to handhelds and IOS because of the high development costs and also because the ps3 hardware was difficult too work with.

Seeing as it is confirmed that the ps4 is super easy to develop for . that removed already one barrier.

the thing i was wondering is now that sony allows for self publishing and is throwing its stupid rules out the window could this be the catalyst that removes the other barrier
and allow small japanese 3rd party devellopers to put their games back on playstation as
if they where small indi developers?

of course this all depends how well it sells in japan .

tl;dr

with this aproach could we see a resurgence of japanese 3rd party support?

20% for Wario seems super low, but as a few blogs have pointed out it was always going to be a tough time on a system that doesn't have a 'killer app' and is selling so poorly, but they didn't expect this bad. Maybe Nintendo over shipped and it'll still manage 30 or 40K?

Titles like Game & Wario rely on a large userbase to sell well.

People aren't going to buy the Wii U to play Game & Wario, so I have no clue why Nintendo even bothered to release it at this time or why they even bothered to develop it.

Again, Nintendo is showing more signs of incompetence with game and release management.

I really wonder what happened to this company in the last 3 years.

Titles like Game & Wario rely on a large userbase to sell well.

People aren't going to buy the Wii U to play Game & Wario, so I have no clue why Nintendo even bothered to release it at this time or why they even bothered to develop it.

Again, Nintendo is showing more signs of incompetence with game and release management.

I really wonder what happened to this company in the last 3 years.

Read the Iwata Asks thread, it started out as a pre-installed game for Wii U (Shield Pose) and was only in dev as a Wario title for ~14 months. Also, the game is a better showcase of the Game Pad then Nintendo Land.

They could have sat on it for a while, maybe, and waited for sales to pick up. But what would they have released instead?

Read the Iwata Asks thread, it started out as a pre-installed game for Wii U (Shield Pose) and was only in dev as a Wario title for ~14 months. Also, the game is a better showcase of the Game Pad then Nintendo Land.

They could have sat on it for a while, maybe, and waited for sales to pick up.

I tend not to read Iwata asks for games I'm not interested in.

They should have kept it as a pre installed Game for Wii U, I can't believe they wasted 14 months of their developers time to make Game & Wario. Poor management.

I tend not to read Iwata asks for games I'm not interested in.

They should have kept it as a pre installed Game for Wii U, I can't believe they wasted 14 months of their developers time to make Game & Wario. Poor management.

What would be an appropriate amount of time? Or should the game not exist at all? Should it be a boring take on the same WarioWare formula they've been using for 10 years? Should Nintendo only make games your interested in? Should they have known 14 months ago that the Wii U would be selling this badly and needed something else? That NSMBU/Nintendo Land would fail to sell systems? That Pikmin and the others would be delayed?

Madao

it's weird how the Wario series has fallen off so hard. Wario Ware Touched on DS managed over a million and Smooth Moves sold pretty good on Wii launch but now the games can't even get past 100k seeing how DIY and now this one are dead in the water (yeah, i know it isn't a Warioware like the past ones but it is close enough).

maybe they should have priced the game lower or kept it as a pack-in as originally planned since the game doesn't seem to be very meaty from the impressions.

April Fools?

Nope. I'm entirely serious. People want Nintendo's franchises to stay the same, except the ones that they want to change. WarioWare is 10 years old.

since the game doesn't seem to be very meaty from the impressions.

It's probably about as long to complete everything as it takes to clear Bioshock Inifinite (about 8 hours). Certainly longer than it took to clear Touched.

bomma_man

Skyward Sword is also a poor game to judge the health of a fan base on as it's the only Zelda game to ever need a peripheral that didn't come with the system to play- I'm surprised it sold as well as it did considering players had to fork out for m+. The DS entries and OOT 3D are a better barometer until we get a 3DS or WiiU entry.

bbzzzzzzzzt So did Majora's Mask... and they sold pretty equally iirc

Jamix012

to step away from the nintendo doom for a sec i would like to ask this question again as it was drowned in other posts last time

durring this generation we have seen many japanese developpers move on to handhelds and IOS because of the high development costs and also because the ps3 hardware was difficult too work with.

Seeing as it is confirmed that the ps4 is super easy to develop for . that removed already one barrier.

the thing i was wondering is now that sony allows for self publishing and is throwing its stupid rules out the window could this be the catalyst that removes the other barrier
and allow small japanese 3rd party devellopers to put their games back on playstation as
if they where small indi developers?

of course this all depends how well it sells in japan .

tl;dr

with this aproach could we see a resurgence of japanese 3rd party support?
No, by this point many of the Japanese have jumped ship to more profitable waters (as you say on both handheld and iOS.) If the PS4 takes off in Japan moreso than the PS3 you might see somewhat of a resurgance but it's a catch 22. The PS4 could only really ever be more "successful" than the PS3 if it got the japanese niche support you speak but to get the japanese support it needs that level of success.

BlackJace

Nope. I'm entirely serious. People want Nintendo's franchises to stay the same, except the ones that they want to change. WarioWare is 10 years old.

WarioWare is fine just the way its been, IMO. A collection of zany minigames that require instant reactions. No need to fix such a simple and successful formula.

You saw the moaning when G&W was revealed to not be focused on the microgames, people love them.

Kid Ying

DIY was a whole different entity. I love Wario ware and never even wanted to play the game. Game and wario feels much more like a sequel to Warioware than DIY, so i don't think we can say that there's a falling on sales for the series.

In the end, we still need to see how much G&W will sell. Even if doesn't blow off the gate instantly, it could be a slow burner. Who knows. I'm not banking my money on the game, but i think it may manage some nice numbers.

WarioWare is fine just the way its been, IMO. A collection of zany minigames that require instant reactions. No need to fix such a simple and successful formula.

You saw the moaning when G&W was revealed to not be focused on the microgames, people love them.

"People want Nintendo games to stay the same, except the ones they think should change".

I mean what I said.

Besides, it would have been poorer management, in my opinion, to green-light a collection of 220 micro-games in HD to sell at $50. In today's market such a title would have bombed harder than this.

serplux

Yup, it created its own genre. It should keep doing what it's been doing, perhaps as a 3DS or an eShop title though.

Jamix012

"People want Nintendo games to stay the same, except the ones they think should change".

I mean what I said.

Besides, it would have been poorer management, in my opinion, to green-light a collection of 220 micro-games in HD to sell at $50. In today's market such a title would have bombed harder than this.

Eh I don't think it's limited to just Nintendo though, in fact I'm fairly certain there's more cries out for Nintendo to change than anyone else (albeit no nessecarily from Nintendo fans.)
I don't think a lot of people for example appreciated the DmC reboot, or the change in direction of the Resident Evil Franchise. I also don't see a lot of people calling out for uncharted as a series to change, for example.

BlackJace

I mean what I said.

What's poor management is releasing a glorified party game intended to attract casuals starring an off-hand Mario character in HD at $50.

It's not a wild guess to assume another straight up WarioWare would sell more than G&W is going to.

Drago

There is quite literally nothing like WarioWare, so I really don't think it needs to change. Game & Wario does look like fun though (but not for $50-60)

Hopefully the 3DS version is more true to it's roots. (Where is it, anyways?!
LLShC.gif
)

Eh I don't think it's limited to just Nintendo though, in fact I'm fairly certain there's more cries out for Nintendo to change than anyone else (albeit no nessecarily from Nintendo fans.)
I don't think a lot of people for example appreciated the DmC reboot, or the change in direction of the Resident Evil Franchise. I also don't see a lot of people calling out for uncharted as a series to change, for example.

No, you're correct. It's not limited to Nintendo, but I certainly feel as though the people who want Pokemon MMO/Hardcore Mario/Zeldasiders or whatever make quite a lot of noise, even if there's only a few of them rattling tin cans.

What's poor management is releasing a glorified party game intended to attract casuals starring an off-hand Mario character in HD at $50.

It's not a wild guess to assume another straight up WarioWare would sell more than G&W is going to.

There's significantly more single-player content than multiplayer content, for a start so 'glorified party game' is a bit of a misnomer. Only 6 of the 16 games have multiplayer functionality, and 2 of those of are 2 player only @ max.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch, though, that a WarioWare title released now for the system would do just as poorly if not more so.

serplux

There is quite literally nothing like WarioWare, so I really don't think it needs to change. Game & Wario does look like fun though (but not for $50-60)

Hopefully the 3DS version is more true to it's roots. (Where is it, anyways?!
LLShC.gif
)

Stuck down wherever Golden Sun/Advance Wars 3DS is, but not as deep into hell like StarTropics is. :(

Game and Wario just seemed like a stupid concept from the start.

"Hey guys, lets take away the crazy super fast mechanic which made the other Wario games so popular!"

Stuck down wherever Golden Sun/Advance Wars 3DS is, but not as deep into hell like StarTropics is. :(

Golden Sun took 6 years to get on DS, and while Advance Wars was out in year 2, Fire Emblem took until year 4. I think, honestly, it's too early to say those series are 'stuck down' anywhere. Star Tropics was by a now defunct Western branch of Nintendo and never released in Japan.

"Hey guys, lets take away the crazy super fast mechanic which made the other Wario games so popular!"

I thought so too, at first. And then I played it.

Dude, why so aggressive? I respect what you had to say. I said thank you because I felt he said what I wanted to say, but better.

I apologize, I misunderstood.

I'll restate, that I think it's unfair to judge this game on the basis of it not being WarioWare. I was not getting this game in December, but as more and more came out about it, I thought it sounded good enough to buy. In the 6 hours I've managed to play it (about half in multiplayer) it has exceeded my expectations for the game and the play time for the previous WarioWare titles I've played. The music, style, humor, and characters are the same as WarioWare, there are a limited subset of microgames (and I'd argue that Mother amps up the formula for the better quite significantly) and the other games are all more than substantial enough to warrant replays. I also think it shows off the potential of the Game Pad infinitely better than Nintendo Land could ever hope to.

I understand it's not selling, and I understand why, but people crying that it shouldn't have even been made, I think, are underestimating the game.

Nintendo has been making a lot of stupid decisions lately. I don't understand why they've been radically changing every franchise of theirs except the ones that actually need it, like NSMB and Zelda. Paper Mario Sticker Star is one of the worst first party titles they've ever released. An RPG where battling serves no purpose? Count me in!

Anth0ny

Was there any doubt Wario was going to bomb? lol

I predict a similar fate for Wii Fit U, unless they delay it like two years and wait until the Wii U has an actual user base. No one's buying a $350 system to play another fitness game.

Was there any doubt Wario was going to bomb? lol

I predict a similar fate for Wii Fit U, unless they delay it like two years and wait until the Wii U has an actual user base. No one's buying a $350 system to play another fitness game.

Well, the white one is 25,000 yen and presumably consumers buying Wii Fit U wouldn't care about whether it's the premium version as much.

No one's going to pay 40,000 yen to play Knack and Killzone 4 at the end of the year, either, but I don't think those games should be delayed. Unless you have Wii Fit-level game, at a certain point you have to release games and hope they have legs long enough to last past the system hitting a critical mass.

Nintendo has been making a lot of stupid decisions lately. I don't understand why they've been radically changing every franchise of theirs except the ones that actually need it, like NSMB and Zelda. Paper Mario Sticker Star is one of the worst first party titles they've ever released. An RPG where battling serves no purpose? Count me in!

Didn't stick star sell better than the other Paper Mario Games in Japan.

Didn't stick star sell better than the other Paper Mario Games in Japan.

Two weeks ago:

26./22. [3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star <ADV> (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} (¥4.800) - 3.981 / 509.015 (+3%)

and it's been in the Top 50 since then, so say it's at 515,000 or so now, would put it close.

flak57

Uh, this doesn't apply to WarioWare.

Inc, Twisted, and Touch have all of the microgames revolving around entirely different forms of input. I haven't played any of the others, but unless I am way off, the gamecube one is mostly a port of the gba game with multiplayer, so I wouldn't even count that one. The Wii one probably revolves around the Wiimote which probably makes it completely different as well, and D.I.Y. focuses around making your own games.

The theme here is staying in the genre that Nintendo created but coming up with creative new ways to play in that genre. Game & Wario is a different genre altogether. It's like jumping from the first two Banjos to N&B, whether it's fun or not people are going to complain like crazy, because with smaller franchises like these it may be an either or situation.

I don't think the problem was changing WarioWare but putting WarioWare-style branding on a minigame compilation.

I could understand if they'd called it 'WarioWare: U Play 16 Games', but I feel they've gone out of their way to avoid people confusing one for the other.

Uh, this doesn't apply to WarioWare.

Inc, Twisted, and Touch have all of the microgames revolving around entirely different forms of input. I haven't played any of the others, but unless I am way off, the gamecube one is mostly a port of the gba game with multiplayer, so I wouldn't even count that one. The Wii one probably revolves around the Wiimote which probably makes it completely different as well, and D.I.Y. focuses around making your own games.

The theme here is staying in the genre that Nintendo created but coming up with creative new ways to play in that genre. Game & Wario is a different genre altogether. It's like jumping from the first two Banjos to N&B, whether it's fun or not people are going to complain like crazy, because with smaller franchises like these it may be an either or situation.

And yet, despite the inputs changing, the premise for the series has remained more or less the same.

I can understand people being upset that they may not release a WarioWare game for the Wii U though, and if G&W bombs all over it may be what happens.

Top Bottom