• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2017 (Mar 27 - Apr 02)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Then it sounds like the main strength of why it became as popular as it did wasn't Pokemon. Maybe what you mean is that Pokemon as a brand is the main reason behind the potential it had. But it wasn't why that potential was tapped. Ignoring the fact that the Ingress formula as a large scale real world social experiment fit Pokemon so well is foolish.

If you mean not specifically Pokémon sure you could argue that if there was a appealing set of monsters/collectable things with massive appeal across a large age but that IP will be what sells it. Not that your collecting things in novel way. We wouldn't even be talking about ingress 2 with the same mechanics as Pokémon Go.

I'm not talking about this universally there are indeed extremely strong gameplay innovations that sell themselves but Pokémon Go is not an example of that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So you're saying making a title that highlights the uniqueness and selling points of the IP is important, instead of just taking a successful mobile template and slapping on a brand, even if that type of gameplay doesn't necessarily have a successful title in the market already?

I would say that's a bit too much of a simplification. I mean it's obvious you can sell a game of a popular IP with a successful formula with game that doesn't have much synergy with it we see that often. What I'm saying is that is to truly reach critical mass it a very good way is have gameplay style that plays to unique selling point of the IP or finds a new unique selling point of the IP that you have to sell to the consumer.

I mean in regards to simply slapping on you can do that with literally any IP of similar popularity you probably won't get much difference. The reason why an IP is as big as it is in the first is that it will have a set of strengths. If your leveraging that IP it's far more easier to appeal to a consumer (even more casual and tertiary consumers) through playing to that set of strengths rather than applying it to something it may not synergies well will it. Basically taking the unique selling point and translating it in a way that makes sense in mobile rather than the opposite. The issue with this is having strong IP's and they don't exactly grow on trees.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would say that's a bit too much of a simplification. I mean it's obvious you can sell a game of a popular IP with a successful formula with game that doesn't have much synergy with it we see that often. What I'm saying is that is to truly reach critical mass it a very good way is have gameplay style that plays to unique selling point of the IP or finds a new unique selling point of the IP that you have to sell to the consumer.

I mean in regards to simply slapping on you can do that with literally any IP of similar popularity you probably won't get much difference. The reason why an IP is as big as it is in the first is that it will have a set of strengths. If your leveraging that IP it's far more easier to appeal to a consumer (even more casual and tertiary consumers) through playing to that set of strengths rather than applying it to something it may not synergies well will it. Basically taking the unique selling point and translating it in a way that makes sense in mobile rather than the opposite. The issue with this is having strong IP's and they don't exactly grow on trees.
Okay, but... what is your disagreement with Matsuda then?

Like even if we look at something like Brave Exvius, their best performing Final Fantasy title, it takes the gameplay setup of Brave Frontier, and then modifies and expands it quite a bit to fit the feeling of playing Final Fantasy. A lot of other mobile JRPGs aren't set up like that as well with exploration areas and towns and the like.

He's basically saying he wants to go more in that direction, or potentially go significantly afield of what's currently on the market to try and stand out. Their next mobile release is a mobile MOBA for example, of which there aren't a ton, and none are doing well in Japan. Mind, that's a game that was announced a long time ago.

I don't think either approach (either a new IP with notable divergent gameplay, or an existing one that notably molds a formula to fit the IP) is exactly outrageous under the context of wanting to stand out more.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Arms is a late May / early June and Splatoon a late July / early August release. Dating Splatoon from now isn't typical Nintendo but maybe they want to create hype in preparation of slow summer period. MH3G and MH4 played similar role with 3DS sales after their announcements.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Okay, but... what is your disagreement with Matsuda then?

Like even if we look at something like Brave Exvius, their best performing Final Fantasy title, it takes the gameplay setup of Brave Frontier, and then modifies and expands it quite a bit to fit the feeling of playing Final Fantasy. A lot of other mobile JRPGs aren't set up like that as well with exploration areas and towns and the like.

He's basically saying he wants to go more in that direction, or potentially go significantly afield of what's currently on the market to try and stand out. Their next mobile release is a mobile MOBA for example, of which there aren't a ton, and none are doing well in Japan. Mind, that's a game that was announced a long time ago.

My issue is specifically the Pokémon Go example being used as the takeaway essentially the not exact one to 1 on 1 experience being a major contributor despite their being on the market an extremely similar product that didn't do as well. Might point is even if you simply slapped on Pokémon go on ingress as is, it would do every well. It's the not the lack of direct analogue but the use itself which is my issue with that specific example.

Shiggy

Arms is a late May / early June and Splatoon a late July / early August release.

Nintendo has Street Fighter 2 on May 26. I don't think they want to release two similar games in such close proximity. Even for MK8 they've waited 2 months from their last first party release, even though the game's been finished for some time.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Street Fighter II isn't from Nintendo and I doubt a late port from Capcom that will do 5 digit sales is in position to change Nintendo's schedule.

I wouldn't say no to new color variations for the Joy-Con timed with ARMS' release. I want to play it with my wife but there's no way I'm buying a new Joy-Con set in Ugly Grey or in the same Neon colors I already have.

hiska-kun

^
Oh God, Dragon Quest XI release date is 7/29. That's the date I was thinking for Splatoon 2.
What happens with Splatoon 2 now? Delayed to end of August? Advanced to beginning of July?

Vena

I'm actually amazed they have it ready so soon, those screenshots they've been showing had me thinking much later... like March.

^
Oh God, Dragon Quest XI release date is 7/29. That's the date I was thinking for Splatoon 2.
What happens with Splatoon 2 now? Delayed to end of August? Advanced to beginning of July?

But what if Splatoon 2 scared DQXI? つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

AniHawk

^
nintendo was probably aware considering the game is being made for their platforms.

Vena

Something about the PS4 version they were showing looks... off. It feels plastic and lifeless somehow with the way battles are framed. The screenshots from a month (?) or so ago looked like this too and I thought that was a matter of still-shot.

Switch version 2017 or 2018?

When did SE get caught with their pants down on Switch prospects, recently or a while ago? Because that's why its not day and date. :p

They'll rush it out after they sell the first wave, so 2017 holiday sounds good.

Mr Swine

Banned
Will a late port if DQ XI sell well on Switch? I know it's apples to oranges comparing Switch DQ Heroes 1/2 sales to the other versions but I honestly don't see it outselling the PS4 version

duckroll

Will a late port if DQ XI sell well on Switch? I know it's apples to oranges comparing Switch DQ Heroes 1/2 sales to the other versions but I honestly don't see it outselling the PS4 version

Why does it need to outsell the PS4 version to sell well?

Mario007

So from the lists of imaginary Switch games releasing this year we've still got Pokemon Stars and Smash Bros do confirm or deny their existence. We'll see how those two go.

Vena

Dunno really, probably what SE expects from a portable version?

If they cared about maximizing its sales potential, for that specific version, they'd have day-and-dated it. The portable version, that is the 3DS version, will stomp all over the PS4 and Switch version so it hardly matters.

So from the lists of imaginary Switch games releasing this year we've still got Pokemon Stars and Smash Bros do confirm or deny their existence. We'll see how those two go.

There is nothing imaginary about an announced game with no release date. What an utterly trite comment to make.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

DQXI Switch is not imaginary, though.

Zedark

I think you have to keep in mind that the Switch install base will be quite a bit larger when DQXI launches for it as compared to when DQH1+2 did, so the comparison will skew towards Switoch, and that a spin-off musou game has inherently less appeal, so does a late port of it comparel to the real deal. I think the Switch version would outsell the PS4 version, though it could go either way with what we know right now.

Mr Swine

Banned
Based on what?

On nothing really. We don't know what SE expects on this version. But I hope whatever it sells is good enough for them.

If they cared about maximizing its sales potential, for that specific version, they'd have day-and-dated it. The portable version, that is the 3DS version, will stomp all over the PS4 and Switch version so it hardly matters.

There is nothing imaginary about an announced game with no release date. What an utterly trite comment to make.

I guess so

I think you have to keep in mind that the Switch install base will be quite a bit larger when DQXI launches for it as compared to when DQH1+2 did, so the comparison will skew towards Switoch, and that a spin-off musou game has inherently less appeal, so does a late port of it comparel to the real deal. I think the Switch version would outsell the PS4 version, though it could go either way with what we know right now.

Yeah but hopefully the user base Switch has by the time it comes out is around 2 million or more

Mario007

DQXI Switch is not imaginary, though.

Should have specified, imaginary 2017 game.

zeromcd73

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/851683684184866816

ドラクエ11のスイッチ版どうなってんの?と思い発表会終わりに広報さんに質問。「対応は予定しているが今日の発表はない。PS4版、3DS版と発売日が同じか違うかについても今日の時点では」とのこと。さてハママッチョへ!
Mochizuki asked about the Switch version. The reply: "It is still planned but no announcements today. Whether it launches together on the same day as PS4 and 3DS or not we cannot say today".

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Nintendo seemed poised to go on an easy run from July with Splatoon 2, but now Sony has a chance to knock it out of the park with a DQXI bundle.

Cerium

Mochizuki asked about the Switch version. The reply: "It is still planned but no announcements today. Whether it launches together on the same day as PS4 and 3DS or not we cannot say today".
That's weird. Maybe Nintendo has a separate direct planned.

duckroll

If people wanna work up unrealistic expectations for the Direct, don't be up in ARMS and go Splatoon when nothing DQXI happens.

Top Bottom