• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2012 (Apr 02 - Apr 08)

patapuf

Well..PS3 had some sub 10k weeks in 2007 as well..

that was also the period where it lost sony all earnings of PS1 and PS2 toghether, i don't think that's a desirable performance for the vita (not that it would cost sony that much money even if the vita sold 0 units)

Boney

Banned
Miku is not doing really well, not even "well"

3628+-+Hatsune+Miku%3A+Project+Diva+-+PSP

It's undertracking compared to the first and lowest selling game in the franchise. But I'd say it's doing well enough for it's own, especially seeing it's a nendroid game and that might put off some people. There was a lot of off the chart growth for Diva, which is understandable seeing it was the first one.

I'm guessing Miku as a brand is a lot more popular now than it is then, so we'll see how everything pans out.

The day we've been waiting for has finally arrived!

But seriously, I excepted the number to be something just below 10k, not in the 8k~!

Same here - I thought it would still be in the high 9000's, not below 9k. Now that the threshold has been crossed, the upcoming weeks are going to be interesting.

zroid

Banned
i know there weren't any bundles for the 3ds this week, but a 50k drop is still really huge.

it says more about the huge bumps during the last two weeks than anything else. 3DS selling at around 70k is normal when there isn't a new software or hardware release.

I suppose, I just don't see how the system could be down and out so soon. E3 is around the corner, we haven't even gone through a holiday yet with the vita. Most people that I have talked to are surprising excited by the vita and plan to get one over a 3ds.

Well, better tell them to hurry up with that, then...

Ragus

Banned
If Sony doesn't go Nintendo way now, I see no future for Vita. And that would fucking suck, as I love this system.

Bring that price drop. Bring those games for fucks sake. What are they waiting for?

Kusagari

I suppose, I just don't see how the system could be down and out so soon. E3 is around the corner, we haven't even gone through a holiday yet with the vita. Most people that I have talked to are surprising excited by the vita and plan to get one over a 3ds.

The system has been out in Japan for months now and nothing more has been announced really. Sony better hope everyone is just waiting for E3.

Cygnus X-1

Moved from other thread:

Glad it finally got it over with. Now we can go on discussing the numbers instead of discussing when it'll drop below 10K.

Anyone think this impact Sony going foward?

When Wii dropped below 10K, I was hoping it'd be a wakeup call to Nintendo, but it didn't seem to be. Maybe Sony will be different, though.

Nintendo is going to launch a new system this year to replace the Wii. On the other hand, Vita is on the market by less than one year. The situation IS different and answers have to differ.

Nintendo reacted the best they could with 3DS and now the system is selling quite well. Sony will be forced sooner or later to do the same unfortunately.

Spiegel

Depends on whether your expectations were Project Diva, or Project Diva 2.

It did okay in the first week (many people agreed on that conclusion if I remember correctly) and it's not showing amazing legs, so it's still doing okay.

These sales can be enough for getting a sequel if this new spinoff keeps growing.

Sadist

E3 won't be that important for Vita. TGS. We're talking about the Japanese market.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The low sales are probably caused by the beginning of the new school year here in Japan. Or something.

I hope the Vita Miku announcement will boost the sales.

Miku is not doing really well, not even "well"

Really?
Considering which parameters?
Do we know expectations for SEGA? And for retailers?
Being the first Miku title on a Nintendo platform, and without Hatsune but Hachune, therefore being a spin-off and not a mainline title, I'd say the game is doing pretty well.

02./01. [3DS] Kingdom Hearts 3D -Dream Drop Distance- # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.03.29} (¥6.090) - 42.231 / 255.810 (-80%)
Wow, this sucks... it should be selling way better, is it maybe the userbase? Or are fans tired of the franchise? I hope S-E doesn't think it's the 3DS fault (even though maybe it is) and stops supporting it.

man, kingdom hearts sure sold like shit. worse than i think anyone expected. what does that leave for big 3ds games this year? dragon quest, paper mario, and Unseen Mario Title?
Animal Crossing worldwide
Tomodachi Collection, Fire Emblem(hoping for a WW release), Etrian Oddysey, Brain Training and probably Monster Hunter 4 for Japan. I've also read that Rune Factory is pretty popular, too.

donny2112

Are we being pessimistic only to follow the trend that was set with the 3DS launch. Just so we can look back and say "hey everyone was saying the Vita was dead, but look at where it got after a year or two." I guess we have to repeat the past, to repeat talking about the repeated past... the neogaf way!!!

Historically, it's more likely for a underperforming system to continue underperforming then for a underperforming system to suddenly spring to life. You were saying something about repeating the past, right?

It's okay guys, if you average the last 2 weeks then the Vita is still over 10k each week!

That's probably part of what happened. The free game with 3G model + 2000 Yen probably pushed some buyers into last week, pulling from this week. It's a possibility, at least.

Cygnus X-1

The PSP is definitely still stealing the Vita's thunder, when you have developers still revealing yet to be released PSP games and no one is announcing anything for the Vita, it's a problem.

I would agree if PSP were outputting the same numbers of last year or so. But it isn't and the sum of Vita and PSP YTD is nowhere to PSP last YTD. So: no. I don't believe PSP is having a bad effect on Vita. Simply it is Vita who hasn't enough releases and has a too high price.

If there is a system who is staling the thunder here, this would be 3DS.

liger05

KH 3D with a huge drop off.

Vita is on life support in Japan isnt it? How long can it sustain this level of sales before sony do something? Shareholders not demanding answers yet?

Awwww, the Vita completely missed the 9k mark? I was looking forward to see if it went back above 10k next week, but I really don't see it getting back there for awhile now.

Erethian

It did okay in the first week (many people agreed on that conclusion if I remember correctly) and it's not showing amazing legs, so it's still doing okay.

These sales can be enough for getting a sequel if this new spinoff keeps growing.

Yeah. On its own it's not great, but it's a decent starting point if they want to turn Project Mirai into a franchise.

watershed

Banned
I hope the Vita gets a price cut and an ambassador program soon. Besides that what else could have an immediate impact on hardware sales? New MH Vita?

I know this is a Japanese sales thread but if the vita got a price cut would it have to be worldwide or could they do a price cut plus ambassador program for Japan only?

Diablos54

Poor KH 3D, not a nice drop at all.

But the big news is the Vita bomb. It needs some sort of DQ IX megaton to shock it back to respectable levels. I await E3 with baited breath.

I would agree if PSP were outputting the same numbers of last year or so. But it isn't and the sum of Vita and PSP YTD is nowhere to PSP last YTD. So: no. I don't believe PSP is having a bad effect on Vita. Simply it is Vita who hasn't enough releases and has a too high price.

If there is a system who is staling the thunder here, this would be 3DS.

Well if you look at my first post I did say it was PSP/3DS that Vita was losing support to, but I think Sony would be in some sort of position to spur developers on from PSP to Vita development, but they don't appear to be in any rush to. This is a problem because it undercuts the possible momentum the PSV has

I hope the Vita gets a price cut and an ambassador program soon. Besides that what else could have an immediate impact on hardware sales? New MH Vita?

I know this is a Japanese sales thread but if the vita got a price cut would it have to be worldwide or could they do a price cut plus ambassador program for Japan only?

Why would they only commit to a Japanese price cut? The Vita is not doing very well anywhere on the planet.

Erethian

Wow, this sucks... it should be selling way better, is it maybe the userbase? Or are fans tired of the franchise? I hope S-E doesn't think it's the 3DS fault (even though maybe it is) and stops supporting it.

Userbase isn't the issue, the series might just be getting long in the tooth for casual fans. Having two shitty games on the DS didn't help perceptions either.

saichi

It's okay guys, if you average the last 2 weeks then the Vita is still over 10k each week!

my thought exactly.

While I can say KH3D was within my expectation last week, the drop this week is totally not.

On the bright side, KIU is over 200K now! On its way to outsell RER and KH3D... 3rd party doesn't sell on 3DS confirmed!

BD1

Banned
It seems Uprising might have enough to reach 250k, which is not so bad

Would be awesome if the game goes beyond 250k and possibly reach 300k+

I wonder what Nintendo's expectations were for the game? Hopefully, the sales are in-line enough so that they'd greenlight a sequel.

frostbyte

Ouch at the Vita numbers. Then again, the 10k mark was just an arbitrary number. It's still doing bad either way. Hopefully, the Vita Project Diva can help bump up the numbers.

Kingdom Hearts 3D's numbers are disappointing. I doubt S-E are happy.

Owzers

yes you can. why would anyone WANT a console to do poorly?

Why would i want it to do well when i think it's overpriced due to "hidden" expensive proprietary memory stick requirements and lacking quality games with no announced future? It's selfish but if it does poorly there is a chance to turn things around with a more appealing bundle and pricing, and MAYBE trying to moneyhat some exclusives to Vita. It also doesn't help that my tastes in games has been at odds with what Sony first parties are doing this generation.

Erethian

Well if you look at my first post I did say it was PSP/3DS that Vita was losing support to, but I think Sony would be in some sort of position to spur developers on from PSP to Vita development, but they don't appear to be in any rush to. This is a problem because it undercuts the possible momentum the PSV has

Problem is you can't force third parties to do something they don't want, not without money in hand. Just look at the Wii. You also risk forcing them onto the 3DS instead, assuming you don't use said money.

I know if I were a third-party developer I'd be waiting for someone else to jump in and save the Vita.

watershed

Banned
Why would they only commit to a Japanese price cut? The Vita is not doing very well anywhere on the planet.
I have no clue what the vita numbers are for other markets which is why I asked it that way. Also if it does get an across the board price cut that will be even more red ink and I don't know if sales in other regions require the same response.

But if Sony wants to improve vita sales in Japan asap they'll probably have to bite the bullet and drop the price. But it doesn't seem like they are in a position finacially to do that.

donny2112

Nintendo is going to launch a new system this year to replace the Wii. On the other hand, Vita is on the market by less than one year. The situation IS different and answers have to differ.

Wii crossed 10K just over a year ago, but yeah, they knew a replacement was coming 18 months or so later. They still could've done more
4 years ago
, but, yeah, the situations are different. Probably more of a chance that Sony will do something now than there was that Nintendo would do something a year ago.

1-D_FTW

Just when all the "sub-10,000" peeps out there had given up hope with last weeks 12,000 units... we go and break below 9,000.

Top Bottom