• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2012 (Apr 02 - Apr 08)

Bruno MB

I don't understand all the buzz about PS Vita being sub-10k sales.

What's the difference between PS Vita selling 9,000 or 11,000? In both scenarios the poor console remains dead.

milanbaros

Member?
I was thinking more huge sellers, like 500k+. Maybe Mario Tennis could make that too.

I think for 3DS to be a true successor to the DS it needs to have some breakout titles. I believe this holiday season will be ripe for a couple of unexpected million sellers. The DS was churning out surprise hits at an incredible rate around its second holiday season if I remember correctly.

When a system is on fire there should be some definite shocks on the upside.

Ragus

Banned
Down to four digits at last.

Time to show your hand Sony.

4194f89ea529dc656edde5a7cb75c557.jpg

Time for 3 digits.

saichi

I suppose, I just don't see how the system could be down and out so soon. E3 is around the corner, we haven't even gone through a holiday yet with the vita. Most people that I have talked to are surprising excited by the vita and plan to get one over a 3ds.

we did... in Japan which is where this thread about and the holiday performance wasn't that good either.

NateDrake

I suppose, I just don't see how the system could be down and out so soon. E3 is around the corner, we haven't even gone through a holiday yet with the vita. Most people that I have talked to are surprising excited by the vita and plan to get one over a 3ds.

Vita launched during the holiday in Japan & didn't perform amazingly.

olimpia84

I'm interested to see what kind of legs KI:U will develop (if any?). I have a feeling that it will keep selling steadily enough to get close to 300K. I noticed a bunch of old Wii games and Nintendogs creeping up the charts but no RE:R? That sucks, for a while it was hanging in there.

Regarding the Vita, there isn't a whole lot to say. In a way it's not very surprising since no big games are in the horizon soon. Sony better bring their A+ game for this year's E3.

1-D_FTW

I seriously hope Sony's Vita strategy isn't what I think it is: sustaining a handheld on western support and sales only.
I mean, not even Sony can be that thick, right?

Well, I think when we get this months Vita sales we'll see that's not really their strategy either. Vita is going to have plenty of uggo months in the US coming up

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I seriously hope Sony's Vita strategy isn't what I think it is: sustaining a handheld on western support and sales only.
I mean, not even Sony can be that thick, right?
Given that the PSP brings profit only in Japan I highly doubt that they will try to rely only on Western sales.

donny2112

I don't understand all the buzz about PS Vita being sub-10k sales.

It stops two types of posts. 1) Those saying they came in looking for sub-10K sales, and 2) those congratulating Vita on another week holding off the posters in (1). Glad they're both going to end/slowdown for a while, at least.

Eteric Rice

I get the feeling Japanese players are tired of waiting for Kingdom Hearts III. I mean, how many systems have they had to buy so far to keep up with the entire series?

1. PS2
2. PSP
3. GBA
4. DS
5. 3DS

I get the feeling franchise fatigue is kicking in for that one. Hopefully this doesn't mean SE will stop making 3DS games. It could use a real Final Fantasy game at this point.

Cygnus X-1

Well if you look at my first post I did say it was PSP/3DS that Vita was losing support to, but I think Sony would be in some sort of position to spur developers on from PSP to Vita development, but they don't appear to be in any rush to. This is a problem because it undercuts the possible momentum the PSV has

Mmm. Maybe, but I'm not convinced by that. Developers never showed refrain by making the same game for more systems or by differentiating their development on more consoles. If they would, they could make games for Vita, despite making games for PSP as well.

Problem for me is that they don't see Vita as a profitable handheld to develop for now. As it was before 3DS's price cut and massive in-house games announcements.

For me the solution is simple: cutting the price. The reason Sony is not doing it is that the Playstation brand probably now is one of the few profitable divisions of Sony and of course they're not much willingly to make this section go into the red numbers as well, after a 6.4 billions $ of loss.

Sony is in a bad situation because of this fucking strong yen as every export oriented japanese company. The government have to take extreme measures or Japan's production richness will all shift to Corea and China.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't believe they actually dropped below the 10k threshold. Thought I'd never see the day.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
BOOOOOOM!
Playstation Zombie.

3D matched Chain of Memories GBA as the series' biggest 2nd week drop-off, quite a feat!

Shikoro

3DS
    O 
   く|)へ   Vita
    〉   ヽOノ
 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄7  ヘ/
10000 /  ノ
    |
   /
   |
  /
/

pramath

Banned
Given that the PSP brings profit only in Japan I highly doubt that they will try to rely only on Western sales.

I would have agreed with this assertion a year ago, but currently, all indications (including the focus of the handheld and the games Sony has secured for the system) point to the contrary.

Well, I think when we get this months Vita sales we'll see that's not really their strategy either. Vita is going to have plenty of uggo months in the US coming up
I still think games like Resistance will sustain the Vita at a 170k-240k level in the US until the holidays. What happens then on is anybody's guess.

Not with the present currency exchange rate, no.
Then I hope they act, and that they act soon.

Why would i want it to do well when i think it's overpriced due to "hidden" expensive proprietary memory stick requirements and lacking quality games with no announced future? It's selfish but if it does poorly there is a chance to turn things around with a more appealing bundle and pricing, and MAYBE trying to moneyhat some exclusives to Vita. It also doesn't help that my tastes in games has been at odds with what Sony first parties are doing this generation.

Ummm by your logic...getting less money of each system sold, will give them more money to moneyhat exclusives and take a hit on a price cut.....

Some weird math you have there...

Before you bring a 3DS analogy... It was nintendo's hubris that sold the device at $250 at a profit per system. That's not the case for the vita.

jman2050

Sony's strategy appears to be "Let the hardcore Sony fans buy our system first and we'll just market to the mainstream later (when it has been thoroughly consumed by our competitors for several years already)"

donny2112

3DS
    O 
   く|)へ   Vita
    〉  ヽOノ
 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄/  ヘ/
10000 /    ノ
   |
  /
|
/
/
/

2ch?

Boney

Banned
To retake some of discussion from last week, and using KH3D numbers as a spring, it looks like 3DS is behaving like PSP software wise, being able to house lots of medium like successes, along the mega succeses like Mario and Mon Hun. And I'm sure the medium succeses will continue to grow as both userbase and overall library consolidate.
But what does catch my attention is that the viral effect DS had in terms of all the software released where titles like Love & Berry, Tamagotchi Collection and FFIIIr all managed to go over a million units is no where near in sight. Might the revision help create an even bigger synergy between hardware and software as the trifecta and the price cut made that will allow for such succeses?

I think it'll be an interesting scenario to see play out and how software support will continue to distribute between 3DS, PS3 and Vita.

Cookie18

No Vita! You were trolling for so long! Ah well though, it's not like it will make a difference really. Let's just get a good new release on the system and then see what happens :/

Glad Kid Icarus and Kingdom Hearts are doing well. I'm looking forward to getting Kingdom Hearts.

Edit: Wait, KH is considered a bomb? 250k is a decent amount, what numbers do KH games usually hit?

Taker666

If I was Nintendo I'd be tempted to give Capcom a few hundred million dollars to keep Monster Hunter off Vita. That's the surest way to stop the system recovering.

...but that won't happen. I think Vita will be fine once MH arrives..in Japan at least.

Looking at the Vita performance compared to past systems like GC, N64, we can safely say that the hardcore dedicated fans will only get you 5k-10k weekly sales.

This market is tiny, I don't know why so many companies strive to capture them.

For me the solution is simple: cutting the price. The reason Sony is not doing it is that the Playstation brand probably now is one of the few profitable divisions of Sony and of course they're not much willingly to make this section go into the red numbers as well, after a 6.4 billions $ of loss.

You just inadvertently explained why a price cut isn't a solution, not in itself. With Vita's software lineup being what it is, a price cut would increase shareholder pressure to exit the dedicated handheld sector a lot more than it would increase third-party confidence in the platform.

Owzers

Ummm by your logic...getting less money of each system sold, will give them more money to moneyhat exclusives and take a hit on a price cut.....

Some weird math you have there...

Before you bring a 3DS analogy... It was nintendo's hubris that sold the device at $250 at a profit per system. That's not the case for the vita.

Vita at $249 is a very aggressive pricing model, but then requiring proprietary memory sticks threw that competitive advantage away for me. 3DS at $249 was ridiculous, that's agreed. But as far as not having money left to moneyhat, it's their fault for not having first party games that people want to buy in Japan, and somewhat everywhere. Japan isn't clamoring for Sony's western developed franchises that fought to find a market on PS3 in the west, let alone spin-offs for handhelds.

Spiegel

Ah, I forgot S-E shipped 333k KH copies in the first week. At least it should reach that number even if it doesn't have good legs.

If I was Nintendo I'd be tempted to give Capcom a few hundred million dollars to keep Monster Hunter off Vita. That's the surest way to stop the system recovering.

...but that won't happen. I think Vita will be fine once MH arrives. In Japan at least.

They probably already did, though with vita sales so low why would capcom bother developing a version for it anyway

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Looking at the Vita performance compared to past systems like GC, N64, we can safely say that the hardcore dedicated fans will only get you 5k-10k weekly sales.

...About that, we must see that graph with Vita, GC, PS3, PSP and Dreamcast updated.

Kusagari

No Vita! You were trolling for so long! Ah well though, it's not like it will make a difference really. Let's just get a good new release on the system and then see what happens :/

Glad Kid Icarus and Kingdom Hearts are doing well. I'm looking forward to getting Kingdom Hearts.

Edit: Wait, KH is considered a bomb? 250k is a decent amount, what numbers do KH games usually hit?

Dream Drop Distance is basically a main game like BBS - which ended up doing 623k in Japan.

botty

Banned
I get the feeling Japanese players are tired of waiting for Kingdom Hearts III. I mean, how many systems have they had to buy so far to keep up with the entire series?

1. PS2
2. PSP
3. GBA
4. DS
5. 3DS

I get the feeling franchise fatigue is kicking in for that one. Hopefully this doesn't mean SE will stop making 3DS games. It could use a real Final Fantasy game at this point.

The game still has to be released world wide before it's considered the total failure people are making it out to be.

iceatcs

Devs love making hardcore game. So they never died, see at Dreamcast.

Cygnus X-1

To retake some of discussion from last week, and using KH3D numbers as a spring, it looks like 3DS is behaving like PSP software wise, being able to house lots of medium like successes, along the mega succeses like Mario and Mon Hun. And I'm sure the medium succeses will continue to grow as both userbase and overall library consolidate.
But what does catch my attention is that the viral effect DS had in terms of all the software released where titles like Love & Berry, Tamagotchi Collection and FFIIIr all managed to go over a million units is no where near in sight. Might the revision help create an even bigger synergy between hardware and software as the trifecta and the price cut made that will allow for such succeses?

I think it'll be an interesting scenario to see play out and how software support will continue to distribute between 3DS, PS3 and Vita.

The mass market is not there anymore. At least, not to the same extend it was on DS. These people are now playing on Smartphones unfortunately.

I don't see any possible change in sight. The only potentially unique offer is the 3D effect, but for multiple reasons its mass market appeal is still not there.
Nintendo needs in other words a new game having the same effect of Brain Training and this is not easy to do of course.

I was thinking more huge sellers, like 500k+. Maybe Mario Tennis could make that too.
Well, I think that Oni Training, Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Collection will move big numbers in Japan. Maybe Fire Emblem and Rune Factory too?

Wait, KH is considered a bomb? 250k is a decent amount, what numbers do KH games usually hit?
Here:
[PSP] Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Wars Z: Hakai-hen (Bandai Namco) {2011.04.14} - 307,019 / NEW

Kingdom Hearts series (second week sales)

[PS2] Kingdom Hearts (Square) - 103,300 / 514,792 (-75%)*
[GBA] Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories - 35,768 / 239,039 (-82%)
[PS2] Kingdom Hearts II (Square Enix) - 156,837 / 884,428 (-78%)
[NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix) - 106,104 / 401,000 (-64%)
[PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Square Enix) - 177,405 / 623,367 (-60%)
[NDS] Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (Square Enix) - 31,247 / 126,753 (-67%)

* (Famitsu)

Top Bottom