• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2012 (Apr 02 - Apr 08)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
To retake some of discussion from last week, and using KH3D numbers as a spring, it looks like 3DS is behaving like PSP software wise, being able to house lots of medium like successes, along the mega succeses like Mario and Mon Hun. And I'm sure the medium succeses will continue to grow as both userbase and overall library consolidate.
But what does catch my attention is that the viral effect DS had in terms of all the software released where titles like Love & Berry, Tamagotchi Collection and FFIIIr all managed to go over a million units is no where near in sight. Might the revision help create an even bigger synergy between hardware and software as the trifecta and the price cut made that will allow for such succeses?

I think it'll be an interesting scenario to see play out and how software support will continue to distribute between 3DS, PS3 and Vita.

Well, right now we haven't had the titles like L&B, Tamagotchi and FFIIIr which can surf virally the 3DS success, maybe. Maybe, DQM will be the first one, or Fire Emblem in its little ( for little, I mean not milion seller, but certainly better than the last entries ).

Or maybe, we've already seen two examples of this: MH3G, which is selling costantly week per week, just like the two Mario titles, bringing its audience...and 3D Land, far far better than both the Galaxy games already now.

Vita at $249 is a very aggressive pricing model, but then requiring proprietary memory sticks threw that competitive advantage away for me. 3DS at $249 was ridiculous, that's agreed. But as far as not having money left to moneyhat, it's their fault for not having first party games that people want to buy in Japan, and somewhat everywhere. Japan isn't clamoring for Sony's western developed franchises that fought to find a market on PS3 in the west, let alone spin-offs for handhelds.

To be fair, the lowest Memory card is $20.

It wasn't a long time ago that systems required memory cards to save games. I will agree that is pretty ridiculous that it requires the card to boot up the games.

Yet of all the things that you have said. I have yet to read a reasonable explanation on why anyone would want/root/be happy for the system to fail. What is there to gain from a handheld market that is dominated by Ios and nintendo? I for one voted with my dollars with a vita, knowing first hand that it was going to be a hard road. Yet if it does fail, I will look back and know that I did my part.

udivision

I'm so ready for Sony in panic mode.
Sony:"I'm here to save the Vita by inducing panic."
Shareholders: "Um, that's Panic Mode. You're gonna save the Vita with Panic Mode."
Sony: "Oh yes of course, that's what I meant. I see that word now, Panic Mode."
Sony: *Ahem*

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, WE'RE IN PANIC... mode."
"PANIC EVERYWHERE!"
"-Amaaaazing grace-"
"WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST."
"-how sweeeeet the sound-"
"I CAN'T BREATHE!"

Sony: "Did that save the Vita?"
(beat)
Shareholders: "I'll get back to you on that..."

Thoraxes

Damn dudes, sub-9k.

I just jokingly wanted it to go sub-10k so we can hear people quote this infamous week in the future a lot, but this is even worse. More and more I gradually expect to see Sony hopefully take some action against this at E3.

Also, KI:U didn't drop off as much as I had thought, KH:DDD had a larger dropoff than expected, SMH at Kinect Star Wars charting at all, and what the hell the trinity is still active and in the top 10.

I had no idea that Nintendogs+Cats had moved that many cumulative units. Even at #20, can anyone tell me if it was a result of legs, the repackaging (for the clarity), or just the initial burst that did it?

Cookie18

Kingdom Hearts series (second week sales)

[PS2] Kingdom Hearts (Square) - 103,300 / 514,792 (-75%)*
[GBA] Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories - 35,768 / 239,039 (-82%)
[PS2] Kingdom Hearts II (Square Enix) - 156,837 / 884,428 (-78%)
[NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix) - 106,104 / 401,000 (-64%)
[PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Square Enix) - 177,405 / 623,367 (-60%)
[NDS] Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (Square Enix) - 31,247 / 126,753 (-67%)

* (Famitsu)

Ah, that doesn't make it look as good now. It's still not bombing as bad as people are saying though. Ok it is half of what 358/2 did by it's second week but that released in 2009 when the DS had been selling like hotcakes for 4 years.

In comparison I think it's actually better than could be anticipated considering there are probably around 1/4 as many 3DS systems now as there were DS systems then.

donny2112

Nope. Found it here. XD

Cool. Here's the original picture from that blog's comments. Mountain holds up better. :)

Vita_sub_10k.png

Really Vita just needs games. I don't hink price is that big factor for Vita's perfomance. Only console that has sold well without games is pretty much PS2 during its first year.

Damn dudes, sub-9k.

I just jokingly wanted it to go sub-10k so we can hear people quote this infamous week in the future a lot, but this is even worse.

Also, KI:U didn't drop off as much as I had thought, KH:DDD had a larger dropoff than expected, SMH at Kinect Star Wars charting at all, and what the hell the trinity is still active and in the top 10.

I had no idea that Nintendogs+Cats had moved that many cumulative units. Even at #20, can anyone tell me if it was a result of legs, the repackaging (for the clarity), or just the initial burst that did it?

Its the result of (four) legs

pramath

Banned
To be fair, the lowest Memory card is $20.

It wasn't a long time ago that systems required memory cards to save games. I will agree that is pretty ridiculous that it requires the card to boot up the games.

Yet of all the things that you have said. I have yet to read a reasonable explanation on why anyone would want/root/be happy for the system to fail. What is there to gain from a handheld market that is dominated by Ios and nintendo? I for one voted with my dollars with a vita, knowing first hand that it was going to be a hard road. Yet if it does fail, I will look back and know that I did my part.

When did a handheld ever require a memory card to save games? The PSP?
And when did you NEED a memory card to even boot up games? (Granted you agree this is ridiculous)

Finally, and this is most important, and the one thing that separates the Vita from the PSP the most), when was the last time that a handheld required a proprietary memory card that wouldn't work with any other device, a card that also happened to be overpriced and expensive?

Maedhros

Finally, and this is most important, and the one thing that separates the Vita from the PSP the most), when was the last time that a handheld required a proprietary memory card that wouldn't work with any other device, a card that also happened to be overpriced and expensive?

PSP

I get the feeling Japanese players are tired of waiting for Kingdom Hearts III. I mean, how many systems have they had to buy so far to keep up with the entire series?

1. PS2
2. PSP
3. GBA
4. DS
5. 3DS

I get the feeling franchise fatigue is kicking in for that one. Hopefully this doesn't mean SE will stop making 3DS games. It could use a real Final Fantasy game at this point.

Its ridiculous how long its being squeezed out for. It'd be like Pokemon jumping system to system without announcing its a NEW proper game.
Kingdom Hearts III was needed here. They didn't research and they didn't deliver. Nothing else can explain this one.

And yeah I'm hoping the FF remakes continue on the 3DS.

I thought it would be funny to see the Vita drop below 10k. Now that it's happened, I'm no laughing. Kind of sad, to tell the truth.

Quite.

If I was Nintendo I'd be tempted to give Capcom a few hundred million dollars to keep Monster Hunter off Vita. That's the surest way to stop the system recovering.

...but that won't happen. I think Vita will be fine once MH arrives..in Japan at least.

Are people still making this stupid arguement??
The reason Monster Hunter was never on the DS was it couldn't run the game. Why on earth would Capcom develop a Monster Hunter game for an HD system with a tiny userbase??

Add to this, even if it DID go on Vita...it won't be exclusive. Its bonkers to think it would. So why buy Vita? Seriously, why?
I know many are far from Japan and so cast a rather downward eye upon them, but really there consumers just like you and me, use logic - and realise that MH is not some 'save all' game.

Its foolish to run around thinking like that. It makes zero business sense to go to Vita. The series is moving to 3DS.
It'll remain there. We've seen with KH3D what jumping about does to a series. Capcom have bedded themselves on 3DS; and seem happy there.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It wouldn't be surprising to see a 3DS revision by year's end, after 18 months on the market.
SeXier or merely XL.

At this point in time I think choice of system is a secondary reason at best for any SE title underperforming.

They've spent a generation and a half wasting goodwill, and it's coming to bite them.

watershed

Banned
I don't think the new Brain Training and tomodachi collection are gonna be the runaway successes that their original entries were. For Brain Training it looks to focus on short bursts of stressful mental activity which I think goes again its casual appeal. Also thay devil mode doc is kinda scary. The new tomodachi collection seems straight up creepy and not cute and charming like the original. I could see both performing like Nintencats which is still selling well but not matching the success of the original.

Animal Crossing though should be huge. I hope.

pramath

Banned
He's wrong either way. MS Pro Duo isn't proprietary. It's not made specifically for the PSP. Back then it was "only" twice as expensive as SD cards opposed to 4-5x with the Vita cards.

Exactly. I mean, yeah, buying a big Memory Stick for the PSP hurt, but at least you knew you could use it with your camera, phone, laptop (assuming those were all Sony) if you wanted to...

It wouldn't be surprising to see a 3DS revision by year's end, after 18 months on the market.
SeXier or merely XL.

Hmmm...I'm not sure...I think Nintendo might wait till 2013 for it.
It all depends on how the 3DS sells over the next few months though.

Certainly what they need is:
- A really good camera (would be a huge selling point)
- Better battery
- A wee grip pad on the circle pad
- Side stylus (why did they drop this anyway?)
- ...thats about it for me.

If its a 3DS XL (well whatever they call it) - they will likely add a second circle pad.
If its a similar size? Nah.

BurntPork

Banned
Um... Well...

I'm trying to figure out whether the 3DS drop, the KH Dream Drop, the Vita drop, or the 360 spike is the biggest surprise this week...

When is the next Vita release?

7threst

Didn't these memorysticks also work on Sony VAIO laptops?

Anyway, what Sony is doing with these Vita memorycards is just stupid imo...

Really Vita just needs games. I don't hink price is that big factor for Vita's perfomance. Only console that has sold well without games is pretty much PS2 during its first year.

It really needs a pricedrop. I don't know what games could come out that would turn this around except maybe Monster Hunter and since that is on 3DS now too I wouldn't be sure of that either.

schuelma said:
I would like some historical perspective on that Vita number from someone more skilled than I.
George Washington says it's baaaad.
Unison said:
Is there a graph of PSP vs Vita sales at their respective points in life?
This newest weekly number for Vita not in yet.
PSV

PSV

KillerMan91 said:
Pretty much everything is doing poorly. 3DS just less so but still not that great for market leader.
The only market leader it doesn't look good against is original DS in its prime, doing 100+K weekly for a couple years.

mclem

I get the feeling Japanese players are tired of waiting for Kingdom Hearts III. I mean, how many systems have they had to buy so far to keep up with the entire series?

1. PS2
2. PSP
3. GBA
4. DS
5. 3DS

I get the feeling franchise fatigue is kicking in for that one. Hopefully this doesn't mean SE will stop making 3DS games. It could use a real Final Fantasy game at this point.

If you're japanese, can't you get everything from PS2/PSP/3DS?

- Better battery

If its a 3DS XL (well whatever they call it) - they will likely add a second circle pad.

A better camera would be good but i doubt that'd happen unless it was a more powerful system (like dsi) thus dividing the userbase, better battery is a given, maybe a grip on the slide pad but i dont have a problem like it is, stylus at the side would be better i assume it isnt on the current 3ds because the insides are too tightly packed, and no way will there be a second pad even on an xl version

muu

This is it's third week, right? Not bad. I thought it would be a lot higher by now though.

Considering it's basically a tps (with rail shooter segments), competing for mindshare in Japan (where shooters have traditionally sold poorly), I think sales have been great. The metagame in Japan's multiplayer has already gotten insane (one-shot weapons, +3 distance/+3 tracking weaps, etc) so I do wonder if the now somewhat-high barrier to entry for online multiplayer will hurt it any. Local multi among mid~high schoolers is what's going to make or break sales at this point (w/ regards to following on the steps of the triad in terms of continued sales), so maybe this isn't going to be as big of an issue as I'm thinking it is.

- Better battery

I think best case would be Nintendo doing both: 2 revisions. One maintaining 3DS size and layout (for casuals/mainstream) and a 2nd "XL" or "Pro" model with a larger form/screens plus CPP layout (for core gamers).

I'd also like to see them move to OLED screens.

pramath

Banned
I think best case would be Nintendo doing both: 2 revisions. One maintaining 3DS size and layout (for casuals/mainstream) and a 2nd "XL" or "Pro" model with a larger form/screens plus CPP layout (for core gamers).

This ain't happening anytime soon.

With the PSP games charting well, it is hard not to think a PSV price drop would get a lot of people on board to simply play PSP games on the newer hardware. It isn't a resurrection, but hell it is a few more thousand sales of hardware.

pramath

Banned
With the PSP games charting well, it is hard not to think a PSV price drop would get a lot of people on board to simply play PSP games on the newer hardware. It isn't a resurrection, but hell it is a few more thousand sales of hardware.

Except the Vita's backwards compatibility is a complete mess.

Except the Vita's backwards compatibility is a complete mess.

Yeah, I know, it has this elegant fucked mess that only Sony can manage. The games that do work look great though. My PSP collected dust for a few years but I am now going back and enjoying the games I missed...that are available on the Vita store...or the PS3 store and transferable... yep pretty pathetic.

Come on lil' Vita, your such a great handheld, you can do it, LIVE DAMN IT, LIVE!!!

When it came to the dsi the xl model was the more casual aimed

Top Bottom