• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2014 (Apr 07 - Apr 13)

Tripon

I think it has less to do with people wanting the 3DS to fail and more to do with people anting the Vita to succeed. Hardware numbers were very poor this week. I don't know what the next big release for the 3DS is, but I guess this level isn't bad considering everyone and their pet has one. The dwindling PS3 sales are natural. The PS4 needs a game or two that actually have Japanes players interested to pick up a PS4.

This.
The saltiness reeks of fanboys.

Eh, its more of an Emperor has no clothes situation.

Mr Swine

Banned
Not so good numbers overall, but grats for Vita beating the 3DS :)

Does anyone think that Sega is a tad disappointed by Miku sales? It's selling worse than the first game did even if you separate the Vita and PS3 version.

I'm wondering if Nintendo is panicking that the 3DS sales are so bad right now. I do wonder if the successor of the 3DS is coming out sooner than later. I could guess that is why there isn't so many 3:rd party games coming out this year

Gamerloid

And yet it seems that you read the threads when it was basically other way around. ''3DS in beast mode'' '' Nintendo pacman!'' '' Vita means life lol''. I Wonder why with Vita meme it's so hard to deal with. People are just having fun.

Nintendo Pacman? I don't really remember that one. What is that? The thing is though, is that 3DS in beast mode wasn't a meme, it really was doing very well. Vita was the "champion" when it wasn't even doing that good. "Vita means life" is like a double standard because what means life for Vita, is considered low sales for the 3DS.

You say I've been reading these threads when it's the other way around, but this is the first I've seen the Vita surpass the 3DS. Perhaps I can take the other way around because there's truth to it, unlike "Champion" and "Vita means life" (though it really does mean life lol).

Darius

Banned
Just updated Chriss list. The streams will be crossed quite soon. Really bad considering it has no competition.

PS3 first 15 weeks

01. 81.639 / 81.639
02. 42.099 / 123.738
03. 32.662 / 156.400
04. 31.436 / 187.836
05. 50.171 / 238.007
06. 70.942 / 308.949
07. 76.882 / 385.831
08. 71.727 / 457.558
09. 69.944 / 527.501
10. 25.531 / 553.032
11. 21.105 / 574.137
12. 19.996 / 594.133
13. 18.727 / 612.860
14. 23.431 / 636.291
15. 20.676 / 656.967

PS4 first 8 weeks

01. 309.154 / 309.154
02. 65.685 / 374.839
03. 35.294 / 410.133
04. 29.677 / 439.810
05. 30.201 / 470.011
06. 23.327 / 493.338
07. 13.401 / 506.739
08. 13.034 / 519.773

starmud

It's sad to see people talking of the virtues of selling 2 to 3k difference a week. PS4, 3DS, PSV included.

Latley, everything looks like a loser. Burn it all down.

Apparently there aren't many fanboys in Japan.

x7jdmm5.jpg

KoopaTheCasual

Lol. Threads used to reach 1000+ posts celebrating the 3DS and make funeral for Vita on weekly basis. The MC threads has always been like this, you were just on the other side of it.
It's hilarious. Even last week, people were shitting on Vita and making "save the PS4" blackboards. Now, when another team celebrates it's not classy? The salt is real.

Regardless, these numbers make me so upset for Japan. The slide into mobile won't slow down =/

Cygnus X-1

I don't think people realize that IF Nintendo lose Japan, their entire development structure will not survive. The trend is clear since months. Its path established and continuing. It's a clear, obvious decline - which keep continuing week after week. I wonder how close you need to be to disaster in order to reverse course by drastic action.

Some people are not so intelligent after all.

redcrayon

Having a Vita that is actually selling is a great thing not just for itself, but for the future portables market in general as it helps keep Nintendo in panic mode and wondering why everyone keeps announcing games for it despite its tiny install base. Even if Sony never make another portable, which would be a real shame considering how awesome the Vita is, if it means that Nintendo go for hardware and an eshop that is much easier for third parties to develop and port for, I'm alright with that.

redcrayon

is there any major 3rd party ip that hasn't appeared in some form on the 3ds
Do you mean just the Japanese ones? Most of the non-Japanese third parties aren't interested in portables, it's be easier to list the ones that have appeared.

Just thinking of Japan, there's quite a few Capcom ones off the top of my head, how about Marvel vs Capcom, or Dragon's Dogma, Mega Man or Devil May Cry? Maybe we'd need to define what 'major' is too. Plenty of Platinum's output too, Bayonetta etc. Some of Tri-aces stuff like Star Ocean if they still count. From software as well.

Perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to look at the top 30 or do best selling Japanese IP of the last generation and check 'em off, or look at which developers put out decent DS software but haven't supported the 3DS. Still, the usual Japanese suspects like Resident Evil, Castlevania, Metal Gear and FF have had entries even if they aren't all fantastic if that's what you're getting at.

Cygnus X-1

Vita is so weird. Has a console ever been this alive ("alive") and so dead everywhere else? Saturn?

Is it really that wierd? It's replacing 3DS slowly on one hand; and being more and more established as hardcore portable on the other. The lower price, mass market market is getting more and more conquered by smartphones. The higher market is kinda free since 3DS is not as cool and high-tech as DS Lite was (to a certain extent - regardless, more than 3DS - it was THE portable to buy b/n 2005-2009) and this is getting more and more occupied by Vita. It's very similar to what happened with PSP in 2009/2010. The difference is that Vita hasn't a heavily selling title like Monster Hunter Portable. However, I'm pretty sure that a big budget title on Vita would make the system explode in Japan.

And, on a more interesting note, 3DS is getting strangled by smartphones from the low-price market and offset by Vita from the high-end tech market.

Again, how Nintendo cannot see this and being worried blows me away.

BadWolf

Having a Vita that is actually selling is a great thing not just for itself, but for the future portables market in general as it helps keep Nintendo in panic mode and wondering why everyone keeps announcing games for it despite its tiny install base. Even if Sony never make another portable, which would be a real shame considering how awesome the Vita is, if it means that Nintendo go for hardware and an eshop that is much easier for third parties to develop and port for, I'm alright with that.

What would Sony even do with a Vita successor? Its not like there is any point is making anything more powerful.

Being kind of future proof, if it can maintain its sales for now, there might be a possibility that the Vita can just continue on even in the face of a 3DS successor.

redcrayon

What would Sony even do with a Vita successor? Its not like there is any point is making anything more powerful.

Bring kind of future proof, if it can maintain its sales for now, there might be a possibility that the Vita can just continue on even in the face of a 3DS successor.
Hey, I agree with you, I think the Vita has quite a reasonable lifespan ahead of it and could end up happily competing with a 3DS successor if it continues to gain the software support it's been blessed with recently. Even if it's only mildly profitable for Sony and struggles to sell worldwide, it isn't going anywhere for as long as it gives them a potential advantage over the Xbox One with crossplay/crossbuy etc. The goodwill and income (and consumer data) gained by digital software support and a decent subscription service is hard to gain and easy to squander.

redcrayon

Is it really that wierd? It's replacing 3DS slowly on one hand; and being more and more established as hardcore portable on the other. The lower price, mass market market is getting more and more conquered by smartphones. The higher market is kinda free since 3DS is not as cool and high-tech as DS Lite was (to a certain extent - regardless, more than 3DS - it was THE portable to buy b/n 2005-2009) and this is getting more and more occupied by Vita. It's very similar to what happened with PSP in 2009/2010. The difference is that Vita hasn't a heavily selling title like Monster Hunter Portable. However, I'm pretty sure that a big budget title on Vita would make the system explode in Japan.

And, on a more interesting note, 3DS is getting strangled by smartphones from the low-price market and offset by Vita from the high-end tech market.

Again, how Nintendo cannot see this and being worried blows me away.
When you say 'replacing slowly', It's going to take years of selling like this for the Vita to impact on the 3DS to the extent you are crediting it with. The 3DS has severe problems coming up but being squeezed by the Vita for the high-end consumer is probably the least of them right now. Portables are such a small niche and high investment that anyone buying one portable is probably the most likely customer base for the other one too, I suspect there's a lot of new Vita buyers that are already 3DS owners looking for a new gaming fix.

Agree that if the Vita continues to sell like this for the next year or two, it sets the stage for something to take off but it's just random chance to see if that actually happens. More software announcements greatly increases the chances of it happening though, the big hits are often hard to see coming. Yokai Watch, P&D etc are recent examples, if lacking MonHun's appeal. I think a Toukiden sequel has the chance to be a bit special though.

extralite

the big hits are often hard to see coming. Yokai Watch, P&D etc are recent examples.

How were those hard to see coming? GungHo expected a million for PazuDora and Youkai Watch was known to be similar to I11.

I love how people pretend DD won't be big either when it's so obvious from historic precedent that it is the best shot for the PS4 to take off.

redcrayon

How were those hard to see coming? GungHo expected a million for PazuDora and Youkai Watch was known to be similar to I11.

I love how people pretend DD won't be big either when it's so obvious from historic precedent that it is the best shot for the PS4 to take off.
I meant the original mobile game, sure, the later 3DS sales were a good bet.

Who is pretending anything about Deep Down? I really don't know enough about it either way, I kinda lost interest when it turned out not to be a Dragon's Dogma sequel.

Mr Swine

Banned
When you say 'replacing slowly', It's going to take years of selling like this for the Vita to impact on the 3DS to the extent you are crediting it with. The 3DS has severe problems coming up but being squeezed by the Vita for the high-end consumer is probably the least of them right now. Portables are such a small niche and high investment that anyone buying one portable is probably the most likely customer base for the other one too, I suspect there's a lot of new Vita buyers that are 3DS owners looking for a new gaming fix.

Agree that if the Vita continues to sell like this for the next year or two, it sets the stage for something to take off but it's just random chance to see if that actually happens. More software announcements greatly increases the chances of it happening though, the big hits are often hard to see coming. Yokai Watch, P&D etc are recent examples.

How about a vitas first million seller, how long do we have to wait till Vita gets one? Big IPs on vita sells roughly 300k before dropping off and does vita even have a half million seller yet? Is it possible for Vita to stabilize at 30k each week next year and so on or is it going to get harder?

redcrayon

How about a vitas first million seller, how long do we have to wait till Vita gets one? Big IPs on vita sells roughly 300k before dropping off and does vita even have a half million seller yet? Is it possible for Vita to stabilize at 30k each week next year and so on or is it going to get harder?
Hey, I don't have the answers, I'm just going on probability here- more chances of something being huge from more games :D The odds are against it but still it's more likely to happen on a platform that has healthier weekly sales and constant announcements.

There's been a lot of new IP on the Vita, if something doesn't take off it doesn't feel like it's for lack of trying.

Delio

When you say 'replacing slowly', It's going to take years of selling like this for the Vita to impact on the 3DS to the extent you are crediting it with. The 3DS has severe problems coming up but being squeezed by the Vita for the high-end consumer is probably the least of them right now. Portables are such a small niche and high investment that anyone buying one portable is probably the most likely customer base for the other one too, I suspect there's a lot of new Vita buyers that are already 3DS owners looking for a new gaming fix..

Yeah I dont understand the "replacing" part. I'd say it has done that when it's sales really pick up. But hey I wont spoil Vitagafs victory today.

redcrayon

Yeah I dont understand the "replacing" part. I'd say it has done that when it's sales really pick up. But hey I wont spoil Vitagafs victory today.
Heh, yeah, there's still the 2DS, a couple of 3DS big hitters and a shitload of Vita software to come this year in Japan, I think it's going to be interesting for portable gamers this summer in the MC threads.

test_account

XP-39C²
Normally a game that sells over 100K for the Vita boosts HW sales by roughly 10k so this looks really bad.

Still seeing third-party games selling on the platform gives us good hope that Japanese core games will have a home.
In those cases, havnt the Vita sales in the week before been much lower than 25k, and in some cases also had a limited edition Vita? But i was thinking more that most people are probably "outworried" about the Vita now concidering how it sold in the first two years :) Even if the Vita goes back to those sales again, people have already worried about that.

Yeah, i think the Vita will continue to see software support for som years at least.

Delio

Heh, yeah, there's still the 2DS, a couple of 3DS big hitters and a shitload of Vita software to come this year in Japan, I think it's going to be interesting for portable gamers this summer in the MC threads.

If anything It is nice to see the Vita bouncing back ( in japan at least) will make my future Vita purchase a tad safer.

watershed

Banned
Nintendo has done a really poor job of showing consumers their long term plan for the 3ds. Right now there is very little for people to be excited about and even less to draw in new consumers.

The 3ds needs a new model, a price cut on current models, and a player's choice 3ds game line.

redcrayon

Nintendo has done a really poor job of showing consumers their long term plan for the 3ds. Right now there is very little for people to be excited about and even less to draw in new consumers.

The 3ds needs a new model, a price cut on current models, and a player's choice 3ds game line.
Do we know anything at all about stuff due after Smash? Seems like we are due an update on what might be coming out in the second half of the year. I wonder what their 'big' Xmas game will be this year.

Scum

Do we know anything at all about stuff due after Smash? Seems like we are due an update on what might be coming out in the second half of the year. I wonder what their 'big' Xmas game will be this year.
Fingers crossed for a Dec date for Advance Wars Online.

Sacrimoni

Banned
Is it supposed to be impressive that the Vita (a system with less than a fifth of the 3DS's install base in the country) managed to outsell the 3DS for a week?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Is it supposed to be impressive that the Vita (a system with less than a fifth of the 3DS's install base in the country) managed to outsell the 3DS for a week?

Let the Vita fans have some fun for once. They had a rough time last year. No need to take this all so seriously.

It is impressive that a system that is dead dead dead sold more than the best selling system in Japan even when factoring in the rest of the systems failing, it still wouldn't account for Vita's relative stability in contrast

Is the Vita saved? Winning? No of course not, it's a dead system but for a zombie it's remarkably stable

nampad

I am late to the Vita party. Vita means life!!!

The salt if some people over the Vita celebration is nice :)

PS4 held out better than the other systems who dropped. Wii U at 5k again and overall everything going south except the #champion.

Top Bottom