• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2012 (Apr 16 - Apr 22)

test_account

XP-39C²
Unfortunately, Ciel no Surge selling well is no sign of anything other than Ciel no Surge selling well. You can't simply point to a single data point and claim it's a sign of improvement.
Hungry for games -> people will buy games -> -> shows there is a market there -> support is coming =)
it was ment more as a semi joke, i know that one data point is not enough to say much about long term indeed. But it shows that it is possible to succeed on the Vita.

What? Release game on vita, sell low but better than expected, yeah bodes very well
If you sell better than expected, then it doesnt really matter much which platform it is.

Alrus

Hungry for games -> people will buy games -> -> shows there is a market there -> support is coming =)
it was ment more as a semi joke, i know that one data point is not enough to say much about long term indeed. But it shows that it is possible to succeed on the Vita.

If you sell better than expected, then it doesnt really matter much which platform it is.

I'd wait till we have actual numbers before saying Ciel No Surge is a "success". It may have sold better relative to other Vita games but that doesn't mean it sold "good".

test_account

XP-39C²
I'd wait till we have actual numbers before saying Ciel No Surge is a "success". It may have sold better relative to other Vita games but that doesn't mean it sold "good".
Definitely, i will wait for the final numbers before i say too much about the game's preformance. From what i saw of earlier comments, anything above 20k seems to be a success for this game.

No, it bodes well for Gust support which was pretty granted on Vita.
Why was it granted? If their games sold horribly on the Vita, wouldnt it likely that they wouldnt support it and try other platforms instead? But it is at least some support :)

Durante

Why was it granted?
Because Gust is awesome like that.

Serious answer: Gust has a good working relationship with Sony (see for example the full-page Ciel no Surge ad on playstaytion.jp at release), so as long as their games are viable on Sony platforms they'll probably stay there.

Nibel

I'm terrified to see how much that piece of shit named RE:ORC has sold in Japan.
BTW, Vita game in the top 10! \m/

Maybe this will mean better hardware sales for the system :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Because Gust is awesome like that.
They might test the waters on different platforms, but i dont think that they will support every platform if they dont have success on all of them.

EDIT: Missed your edit:

Serious answer: Gust has a good working relationship with Sony (see for example the full-page Ciel no Surge ad on playstaytion.jp at release), so as long as their games are viable on Sony platforms they'll probably stay there.
That is true. If they have success, they will most likely contunie to support it indeed.

A splurt of modestly performing PSP titles, by the looks of things.

I'm guessing low top figures, but a more bunched together chart this week. Wonder what Fire Emblem's hold was.

Everything under FE should be reasonably low. Am a bit upset that the rammy has pushed Kid out, but I suspect that theres a lot of those sales that are pretty close in numbers.

PSP games success is just a sign that Sony should have moved PSP games from UMD a long time ago, so that they could have backwards compatibility with Vita.

wrowa

Well, it does though. Expectations are always relative to the the sales of the platform. Beating the expectations on a low-selling platform doesn't necessarilly equal a result the developer/publisher can be satisfied with.

However, in this case I don't think that the sales would be higher on another platform -- and I also doubt that it can be explained with Vita gamers starving for games. It's simply a game that resonates well with Vita's audience, which so far is more otaku-ish and geek-ish than 3DS's. It's also the reason why publishers of niche RPGs such as Gust, NIS or Falcom will continue their current strategy and develop games primarily for the Vita and not 3DS when it comes to handhelds.

Everything under FE should be reasonably low. Am a bit upset that the rammy has pushed Kid out, but I suspect that theres a lot of those sales that are pretty close in numbers.

PSP games success is just a sign that Sony should have moved PSP games from UMD a long time ago, so that they could have backwards compatibility with Vita.

So what should they have done with PSP games? Make them non resellable downloads only, haha yeah that would've done them good

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, it does though. Expectations are always relative to the the sales of the platform. Beating the expectations on a low-selling platform doesn't necessarilly equal a result the developer/publisher can be satisfied with.

However, in this case I don't think that the sales would be higher on another platform -- and I also doubt that it can be explained with Vita gamers starving for games. It's simply a game that resonates well with Vita's audience, which so far is more otaku-ish and geek-ish than 3DS's. It's also the reason why publishers of niche RPGs such as Gust, NIS or Falcom will continue their current strategy and develop games primarily for the Vita and not 3DS when it comes to handhelds.
What you say in the last paragraph is what i ment :) If one is going to make a game, then set an expectation of i.e 50k sales, then it doesnt really matter which platform it is, since 50k is 50k regardless (taking into account that the retail price is the same of course). I dont think that any developers chose a platform to develope for if they have much higher believes for another platform in regards of sales.

It is of course possible to revise the expectations if you start the developement before you see the hardware sales preformance. But i'm not sure that this is the case with this game.

jonno394

The early Famitsu list is almsot always different to the Media Create list we get later, so i wouldn't be surprised to see a few titles shifted round in this list come 4pm(uk time)

Bruno MB

Dynasty Warriors Vs. bombed massively, it must have sold at best 15,000 units. Koei Tecmo shouldn't have bothered with this title.

Without a new shipment 55,000 units is the most Fire Emblem: Awakening could sell in its second week since Nintendo shipped 297,000.

P.S. My predictions for this week were terrible xD

Dynasty Warriors Vs. bombed massively, it must have sold at best 15,000 units. Koei Tecmo shouldn't have bothered with this title.

Without a new shipment 55,000 units is the most Fire Emblem: Awakening could sell in its second week since Nintendo shipped 297,000.

P.S. My predictions for this week were terrible xD

I'm pretty sure at least some new shipment of fire emblem came in though it may only have been small

Why was it granted? If their games sold horribly on the Vita, wouldnt it likely that they wouldnt support it and try other platforms instead? But it is at least some support :)

Well, historically Gust has always put a pretty good effort in developing for Sony platforms. Even on PSP, where all of its games sold horribly. Also, they don't have high budgets, and so they need very few copies to break-even; I mean, did you see something about Cielo no Surge? They probably spent more on the cover art than any other aspect of the game.

Ciel above 3DS trinity on golden week - so it's 25-40k probably + whatever they got digitally.

Similar sales to what they would get on PSP with game like this.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, historically Gust has always put a pretty good effort in developing for Sony platforms. Even on PSP, where all of its games sold horribly. Also, they don't have high budgets, and so they need very few copies to break-even; I mean, did you see something about Cielo no Surge? They probably spent more on the cover art than any other aspect of the game.
If Gust can make a profit on a certain platform(s), then it is understandable that they contunie to support it, that is true. And maybe they have some good relation with Sony (like the ad for Ciel no Surge on playstation.jp as Durante mentioned above here), then it is understandable that they contunie the support.

Hehe, i havnt seen much from Ciel no Surge, but it looks like a lower budget game indeed :) Also from the comments i've read, seems that the game wont have to sell that many copies to be profitable.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Dynasty Warriors Vs. bomba? Was the game any good, it seemed promising but also could just be a cheap rehash with some twists... I imagine even the top 2 will have rather meh numbers... That, or ORC will really surprise me..!
Depends on what you mean by meh numbers. ORC is still an RE game, and benefits from 5 as well as the upcoming 6 being on the same platforms.

If Gust can make a profit on a certain platform(s), then it is understandable that they contunie to support it, that is true. And maybe they have some good relation with Sony (like the ad for Ciel no Surge on playstation.jp as Durante mentioned above here), then it is understandable that they contunie the support.

Hehe, i havnt seen much from Ciel no Surge, but it looks like a lower budget game indeed :) Also from the comments i've read, seems that the game wont have to sell that many copies to be profitable.

I don't know; I see Gust reluctant to develop on non-Sony platforms. DS had three minor Atelier and two of them sold reasonably well (better than all games on PSP), but that's all, while PSP continued to have its support until last year. Wii never got a Gust game, and 3DS seems to follow this path, though there development costs are really low compared to PS3/Vita.

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't know; I see Gust reluctant to develop on non-Sony platforms. DS had three minor Atelier and two of them sold reasonably well (better than all games on PSP), but that's all, while PSP continued to have its support until last year. Wii never got a Gust game, and 3DS seems to follow this path, though there development costs are really low compared to PS3/Vita.
No idea what the reason is. Could maybe be a similar case with Cave and 5pb, pretty much only releasing shooters for Xbox 360 for some reason (some exceptions, i think some Cave games excist for iOS too, and a few 5pb games excist for PS3 and PSP too if i'm not mistaken).

The PS3 has been most succesfull platform for Gust ever i think and they also saw big increase in western sales thanks to it.

Kenka

C'mon sweet sales figures....

rex_grimace2.gif

Alrus

Forget about the Wii 'cause it's dead. 3DS still needs to convince third parties since their games till now sold not very well. Or said otherwise: worse then predicted.

That's factually wrong outside of a few exceptions.

Also the probable reason for Gust not trying to put anything on the Wii is that they're a relatively small studio and had already found great success elsewhere. Why divert resources to work on an unproven platform?

test_account

XP-39C²
Also the probable reason for Gust not trying to put anything on the Wii is that they're a relatively small studio and had already found great success elsewhere. Why divert resources to work on an unproven platform?
If they dont have resources to expand on different platforms, then this sounds like a possible reason i think. It could be worth to test other platforms too in case of success, but that is a gamble.

That's factually wrong outside of a few exceptions.

The Atelier on PS3 dates back to 2009. Wii was released in late-2006.

ccbfan

Wasn't there an article a few years ago from a small developer about Nintendo having some terrible anti small developer policies.

Might be the reason why they small developers tend to gravitate toward sony platforms.

Wasn't there an article a few years ago from a small developer about Nintendo having some terrible anti small developer policies.

Might be the reason why they small developers tend to gravitate toward sony platforms.

Actually DS had A LOT of support from small developers.
Some of them sold really well, others incredibly well.

Top Bottom