• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2012 (Apr 16 - Apr 22)

I can totally see Devil Training be released in July, since Calciobit won't be particularly high in sales, while it'd be likely to see two games in December since it's holiday time.

I predicted July earlier as well but perhaps Nintendo will also make room for 3rd parties. There are a few decent third party games(Taiko Drum Master, Little Battlers, and Etrian Oddysey 4) that have the potential to sell a few hundred thousand during July that were previously on the PSP.

That list also ignores Pokemon Black/White while a DS game, it appears Nintendo will be marketing it to go along with the 3DS.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Do we know why he/they are such sticklers about this?

Because they want more hits at the site?

I can understand them to a degree since they spend all that money to obtain 2 White Papers + all Famitsu magazines every year and they don't want everyone else to copy-paste with zero effort, but from there until claiming they are the only 'Famitsu and M-C approved' site with special permission to post them there is big difference.

There aren't many things someone can do. If you don't have access/money for White Papers you have to accept the situation.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Thanks for all the nice words for J-GC :)

It was so strange but during all these years i found many interesting sites besides GEIMIN, YSO and Game Data Museum, but most of them were closed... All by the same reasons i closed J-GC ? I really doubt it... i wonder if some of them received some strange emails from GEIMIN or whoever else.

GEIMIN sent me many emails asking me to close the site, the funniest thing was when i received an email from "Enterbrain", which made me a little worried.
But... after reading the sender i started laughing loud, it was an email sent from excite.co.jp account
:D
they really thought i was so dumb to believe it ? ahahahahahah

Game Data Museum was very impolite, he started to put on the HP "J-GC is stealing my data", that's made me really angry, cause his data are just taken from various enterbrain issues and he's not related to them in any way.
But being considered a thief was really unacceptable for me...

The most incredible thing was everything started when they noticed me.
What happened ?
Well, i thought it was correct to show the sources of my data, so i put links to their sites.
All i got was annoying emails and a "thief charge"................

Fucking clowns.
R.I.P. JGC

muu

Because they want more hits at the site?

I can understand them to a degree since they spend all that money to obtain 2 White Papers + all Famitsu magazines every year and they don't want everyone else to copy-paste with zero effort, but from there until claiming they are the only 'Famitsu and M-C approved' site with special permission to post them there is big difference.

There aren't many things someone can do. If you don't have access/money for White Papers you have to accept the situation.

Guess it's the whole Internet God thing at work. What they're doing is still unlawfully copying copyrighted data themselves, and w/ that (c) on the bottom of their page GEIMIN wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he's ever sent a cease-and-desist. It's not like a database site gets insane amount of hits so I'm sure his e-peen can't allow others to copy off his work (even when he does exactly the same).

Not that sites like that would ever get shut down, considering sites with huge viewership routinely post magazine scans before they're released.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Not that sites like that would ever get shut down, considering sites with huge viewership routinely post magazine scans before they're released.

If Famitsu decides to take serious action things will be different. But I think it's a similar case with piracy in general. No one guarantees that minimazing the leaks will bring more money. Did NPD increase the subscribers after stopping providing numbers?

Guess it's the whole Internet God thing at work. What they're doing is still unlawfully copying copyrighted data themselves, and w/ that (c) on the bottom of their page GEIMIN wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he's ever sent a cease-and-desist. It's not like a database site gets insane amount of hits so I'm sure his e-peen can't allow others to copy off his work (even when he does exactly the same).

In English, it could have had a quite nice amount of views, though.

muu

In English, it could have had a quite nice amount of views, though.

You're overestimating the number of Sales-Agers. Even a lot of people frequenting this thread just come to say BOMBA and leave, not putting an ounce of thought into what the numbers may mean.

If Famitsu decides to take serious action things will be different. But I think it's a similar case with piracy in general. No one guarantees that minimazing the leaks will bring more money. Did NPD increase the subscribers after stopping providing numbers?

Really depends. In the case of piracy there's a chance of consumer backlash amongst the lowest-tier consumers. In something like GEIMIN there's probably little benefit to hiring lawyers to set up for what small number of freeloaders that may/may not buy their data anyway (NPD probably doesn't care either way at this point, not like they have a competing data tracking company with as much clout as they do at this point. Famitsu/MC likewise probably won't be as liberal w/ their numbers if they weren't vying for the mindshare of users/analysts that buy their data).

But sites like those '2ch gaming blogs' I'm somewhat surprised aren't shut down yet. Something like GEIMIN is small fry in comparison, and looking at tracking data from sites like Alexa oftentimes Hachima/Jin have higher access rates than the legitimate gaming sites (famitsu, 4gamer, etc)! Stakes do seem high here, because as long as the embargo on new info is tied to the release date of Weekly Famitsu (thursdays), legit news sites will continue to fall a day behind on the news.

Of course, those sites may very well have under-the-table deals with other companies already -- in January when they seriously ruffled the feathers of the wrong folks at 2ch, a single mugshot led to the finding that the 'personal gaming blog' that is Hachima was being run by a family-operated advertising agency in Hokkaido. Who had ties to a bigger agency with 'personal blog service' options, and listing of some relatively big-name customers. We find out also that mk2, one of the bigger game review aggregating sites, is linked to that same agency. If you want to go with more speculative matters, there are numerous incidents where popular livedoor blogs (all claiming to be unaffiliated to each other) cross-posted the exact same articles simultaneously. Or posted on the wrong sites. Even the store-clerk blogs sometimes go up for scrutiny -- main question usually being, why are almost all of them being hosted by ameblo?

When you go through it like that, the people working on Famitsu are probably linked through connections of a higher-up company to whomever's commandeering all the blogs. GEIMIN very well may be (or became) a part of that setup, as well. How well they hide the fact that everything's connected varies, but in the end these Japanese sites are likely all connected somehow, just like a giant field of blackberry vines.

Khrno

Of course, those sites may very well have under-the-table deals with other companies already -- in January when they seriously ruffled the feathers of the wrong folks at 2ch, a single mugshot led to the finding that the 'personal gaming blog' that is Hachima was being run by a family-operated advertising agency in Hokkaido. Who had ties to a bigger agency with 'personal blog service' options, and listing of some relatively big-name customers. We find out also that mk2, one of the bigger game review aggregating sites, is linked to that same agency. If you want to go with more speculative matters, there are numerous incidents where popular livedoor blogs (all claiming to be unaffiliated to each other) cross-posted the exact same articles simultaneously. Or posted on the wrong sites. Even the store-clerk blogs sometimes go up for scrutiny -- main question usually being, why are almost all of them being hosted by ameblo?

When you go through it like that, the people working on Famitsu are probably linked through connections of a higher-up company to whomever's commandeering all the blogs. GEIMIN very well may be (or became) a part of that setup, as well. How well they hide the fact that everything's connected varies, but in the end these Japanese sites are likely all connected somehow, just like a giant field of blackberry vines.

Oh man, that's a fantastic reading.

Love conspiracy theories and even more if they are related to the gaming industry.

Kazerei

Banned
Dreamcast received a price cut at week 31, which increased the rate of sales. Its software release schedule was pretty good too.

WFULL.png

Dreamcast received a price cut at week 31, which increased the rate of sales. Its software release schedule was pretty good too.

Baring any significant changes in Vita sales, should move behind the Dreamcast sometime in weeks 39-44, so around September.

I wouldn't think that Sony would actually let sales languish for that long but nothing Sony does would be surprising anymore.

You're overestimating the number of Sales-Agers. Even a lot of people frequenting this thread just come to say BOMBA and leave, not putting an ounce of thought into what the numbers may mean.

I'm the owner of a really small blog dealing with video games sales, just some articles about random games and not a proper archive though, and I see a constant flow of visitors in the range of 30-40 people per day. It's not advertised, it's not updated since August and it has very few contents (30 articles maybe) but it's nice to see how many people come there specifically looking for performance in the market of Devil Survivor or Catherine or Xenoblade.

I think that a proper archive linked to a blog that also talks about some sales could pull some nice numbers.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Regarding Fire Emblem bundle:

- Media Create said nothing, so apparently not included.
- Dengeki said limited edition(s) is(are) included (outside of the 3DS bundle, I only know of the ebten special edition).
- Famitsu will provide their SKUs next Wednesday.

With Twilight Princess Famitsu got available shipment from Nintendo store but not the exact sales, still that was 6 years ago.

Now I wonder if NoA will give Xenoblade numbers from their store to NPD.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
75% discount is...pretty near to the level of Dragon Quest Monsters: Battle Road Victory discount ( 85%). Basically, something BRUTAL.

Cygnus X-1

It seems Dynasty Warriors VS tanked, as many expected. Rumored sell-through is <30%

3DS definitely seems to not have the ability of the DS to sell well third party games. Sometimes I wonder if it's the console to blame or if people are getting tired of the same, old franchises - excluding some exceptions.

Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dynasty Warriors.....it's true that the market needs more new IP or IP with big changes like Monster Hunter.

3DS definitely seems to not have the ability of the DS to sell well third party games. Sometimes I wonder if it's the console to blame or if people are getting tired of the same, old franchises - excluding some exceptions.

Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dynasty Warriors.....it's true that the market needs more new IP or IP with big changes like Monster Hunter.
Or make an actual improvement to the game like Fire Emblem which really feels like a sequel.

Mpl90

Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dynasty Warriors.....it's true that the market needs more new IP like Monster Hunter.

Mmmh, to me it seems pretty...early to say this. And still Joshua even made a graph where 3DS was selling third party games far better than other consoles in their first year. Picking DW Vs. to say this isn't so right.

However, I fear the Dynasty Warriors brand is suffering a bit of franchise fatigue right now.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

There were type of games and IPs which also didnt sell on DS - people need to stop acting as if every DS 3rd Party game sold above the expectations.

Mmmh, to me it seems pretty...early to say this. And still Joshua even made a graph where 3DS was selling third party games far better than other consoles in their first year. Picking DW Vs. to say this isn't so right.

However, I fear the Dynasty Warriors brand is suffering a bit of franchise fatigue right now.
It's called VS or in the customers eyes multiplayer spinoff

Spiegel

It's pretty simple. The audience for DW games is on PS3 and this audience doesn't want to buy much uglier rehashes of the main releases anymore. That's why the latest musou games on psp keep tanking.

Nothing to do with brand fatigue.

Mpl90

Wow, wait why did it bomb ? The series has been doing well on PSP, hasn't it ? Why such a puddle now ?

If you mean the first Strikerfroce, it did rather well.
Then, after the disaster of Strikerforce...just "Special" editions of home efforts, and then pretty low numbers.

Yeshua

There is only 29 playables characters in Dynasty Warriors VS against 62 for Dynasty Warriors 7, VS could have been on PSP it would have probably bombed as well imo.

Erethian

Yeah the last Musou on PSP to do well was Multi Raid back in early 2009, and that wasn't really a traditional game.

Since then only Multi Raid 2 has done over 100k. Samurai Chronicles doing well on 3DS was probably down to it getting the launch game bump.

Mpl90

It's pretty simple. The audience for DW games is on PS3 and this audience doesn't want to buy much uglier rehashes of the main releases anymore. That's why the latest musou games on psp keep tanking.

I think there could be a franchise fatigue incoming still...but yeah, you're right. DW games started tanking a lot after the first Strikerforce.

...Strikerforce...another multiplayer-focused effort. Great sales with the first one...then, bomba.

Probably, the problem is that the portable efforts have been games with "simplified" mechanics compared to the home ones and / or porting of porting of home efforts. Maybe, doing a good scale Dynasty Warriors could be the solution: not the numbers of home entries, but there could be good numbers.

...Especially if it's a manga / anime x Warriors effort, probably.

Mpl90

Would it take less work overall to just port stuff like DW7 and WO3?

Because I'm pretty sure those would sell better.

Warriors Orochi, you say?
Eh, the other two had PSP ports, which did good. DW7 already had a port on PSP. Curious to see if 3DS will get WO3 Special. Or Vita.

Well, for a brand that was million seller on PS2 we can speak of fatigue in some sense.

Was DS able to sell well third party games? Yes and... No.
It is also true that 3DS is still pretty young to come up with such conclusions.

Metallix87

VS is coming out at a bad time, too, since Dynasty Warriors Next on Vita underperformed a bit. Had it come out sooner, I think it likely would've had a stronger start.

Still, the franchise needs a break. Too many entries and spin-offs in a short period of time.

NeonZ

Probably, the problem is that the portable efforts have been games with "simplified" mechanics compared to the home ones and / or porting of porting of home efforts. Maybe, doing a good scale Dynasty Warriors could be the solution: not the numbers of home entries, but there could be good numbers.

Samurai Warriors Chronicles seemed to have a good formula going for portable titles. It reused many assets from the console games, and didn't have as many extra modes and such, but the character line up and essential gameplay were all there. They apparently threw that out to make DW Vs as more "portable focused" experience, but the impressions of the demo were fairly negative so I'm not surprised at this result.

Metallix87

Samurai Warriors Chronicles seemed to have a good formula going for portable titles. It reused many assets from the console games, and didn't have as many extra modes and such, but the character line up and essential gameplay were all there. They apparently threw that out to make DW Vs as more "portable focused" experience, but the impressions of the demo were fairly negative so I'm not surprised at this result.

Indeed. I thought the only thing SWC was missing was online co-op. I was really hoping the next Warriors game for the 3DS would just be an expansion / evolution of the foundation set by Chronicles, but it seems like Tecmo Koei is fully intent on ruining the franchise with too many sequels and unwanted spin-offs.

It is also true, imo, that some brands simply cannot match with Nintendo userbase. It's not that each brand performs well on Sony hardware as well. Let's see at the results of Harvest Moon on PSP, for example, or Taiko Drum Master, which was outsold 2.5 times by the first two entries on DS.

It is also true, imo, that some brands simply cannot match with Nintendo userbase. It's not that each brand performs well on Sony hardware as well. Let's see at the results of Harvest Moon on PSP, for example, or Taiko Drum Master, which was outsold 2.5 times by the first two entries on DS.
Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest where big brands on Nintendo consoles moving to Sony didn't affect the fanbase since the quality and improvements were there.

Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest where big brands on Nintendo consoles moving to Sony didn't affect the fanbase since the quality and improvements were there.

The market was smaller though. During the past generation we had 18mln PSP, 33mln DS + the home consoles. Higher sales means also a much wider variety of video gamers.

Top Bottom