• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2012 (Apr 16 - Apr 22)

3DS definitely seems to not have the ability of the DS to sell well third party games. Sometimes I wonder if it's the console to blame or if people are getting tired of the same, old franchises - excluding some exceptions.

Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dynasty Warriors.....it's true that the market needs more new IP or IP with big changes like Monster Hunter.

1- DW didn't well on DS too
2- DW sales are really down compared to PS2 times
3-i agree with you regarding some tiring about some kind of series, but probably the reason is the market has been changed since PS1 era, RPG are not as popular as they were in the past, just take a look at the "holy japanese trinity", it changed from Pokemon, DQ, FF to Pokemon, DQ and MH (and considering recent years i could say Pokemon, new Mario and MH...)

Interactive hardware sales chart

It doesn't say but I assume it's charting the trailing 12 months. I would ignore the authors comments but the chart is pretty cool.

I like how they ignore the fact 3DS isn't much different from the DS appearance. Although I agree it won't hit the same peak, I don't see this as bad (DS was massive - not everything can be as big)

In other news...am very very confused:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17865117

How can iphone only have 10% market share yet no one shuts the fuck up about it?
It almost strikes me that iOS isn't actually 'that' popular...not that any of these 'journalists'/'columnists'/'analysts' will acknowledge this until they can talk of Apples doom because the industry it helped create has become more and more competitive...

Obviously Apple should put Android on its iphones...thats the logic we use right...?
Right?

I like how they ignore the fact 3DS isn't much different from the DS appearance. Although I agree it won't hit the same peak, I don't see this as bad (DS was massive - not everything can be as big)

How can iphone only have 10% market share yet no one shuts the fuck up about it?
It almost strikes me that iOS isn't actually 'that' popular...not that any of these 'journalists'/'columnists'/'analysts' will acknowledge this until they can talk of Apples doom because the industry it helped create has become more and more competitive...

Obviously Apple should put Android on its iphones...thats the logic we use right...?
Right?

That's market share for all phones worldwide. Apple's share of the smartphone market is a lot higher, especially in the parts of the world where the media is based

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
85d4def0-s.jpg

e6924770-s.jpg

ef6fd3be-s.jpg

matmanx1

Over 1000 ratings for Ciel no Surge already and wow at that price collapse for DDD. Gotta sell through your shipment somehow though, right?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The iPhone has a 10% market share of phones. About two thirds of the phone market are "dumbphones"; cheap, with no support for software and no significant software market. Nokia's marketshare is propped up by dumbphones (which they make no profit on). These are the dominant type of phone by numbers, but their lifetime is dwindling as smartphones take over. Nokia lost an enormous amount of money last year, because they are trying (thusfar without success) to break into the higher end smartphone market with their Windows Phone 7 initiative. Among smartphones, Apple has a high market share but not as high as Android. This is partially because Android itself is deployed on a very diverse array of phones, ranging from low end phones that are mostly bought by people who want a dumbphone or a feature phone all the way up to high end phones like the Galaxy SII and Galaxy Nexus that directly compete with the iPhone.

In some respects, Apple "wins": their phones are consistently the best-selling phone models in the smartphone bracket. They have by far the bulk of the industry's profit. They have excellent margins. They have a bigger software ecosystem. They're first for developers. They're achieving excellent YOY growth. Each successive model is launching bigger and staying bigger. I think you would find that very few Android manufacturers would not rather be in Apple's position. The suggestion right now is that only Samsung, some of the lower end commodity Chinese companies, and forkers like Amazon are actually achieving significant profit on Android. Apple also has great synergy between their phones and tablets, and the iPad is significantly more successful than Android tablets.

In other respects, Apple does not win: They certainly can't beat the entire Android ecosystem on unit volume, and that will never change. This is going to become even more evident as developing markets like China get bigger and bigger. They intentionally compete at a "premium" level, which is going to limit them from the lucrative entry-level stuff. This is partially because Apple is not and cannot be a commodity company, even though they do exercise strong supply chain control.

Apple's corporate vision (under Jobs) has been very well explained over the years by many different sources, most recently in the Walter Isaacson biography of Steve Jobs. Their business model is maintaining a profitable synergy between software, hardware, and user experience; competing in few product lines and doing it well.

You might disagree with Analysts. I don't particularly think Nintendo would benefit from releasing software on iOS, but I also don't have a solution for Nintendo because I think they face a number of structural challenges that they're not well attuned as a company to be able to respond to. If the size of the overall videogame market shrinks, or if people do become socialized not to pay full price for games, or if their digital initiatives are poorly executed, I think those failures will cost Nintendo dearly. The Wii U in particular is going to be a huge risk in my opinion. I don't think they could survive the transition to a software-only company without losing a lot of their competitive advantages, but I also see challenges for their hardware in an ongoing sense. More globally than in Japan, but there too.

But I don't think there's a need to be flippant and say "lol 10% marketshare apple sucks am i right??? analysts are numbskulls!!! pwnt!!!!"--Apple's success is not a collective hallucination of market analysts, it's very real, it's measurable, it's concrete.

Stumpokapow - I was being rather sarcastic with my response :p

I hold the opinion that Nintendo/Apple are both two very different companies but also both have been successful with a number of ups and downs. In many ways they share similar themes in their success stories.

I was simply making the point you can make anything say anything.
Didn't expect anyone to take my post serious :p

On the third party stuff others are mentioning, someone posted something showing third parties are doing better on 3DS than DS in the same time span. Look at Snake Eater, better than expected if still small. Revelations could have done a bit better I suppose, but generally I've not seen many Bombs on the 3DS that don't have circumstances that arn't about being on the 3DS (e.g. KH), whilst Kid Icarus has proven (whilst first party, its hardly a known name) new brands can be launched.

I understand the worry that Nintendo on a system means a lot of competition, but we'll need to see more games before really having enough data to draw any conclusions. I think western developers should be looking to use the 3DS to boost their franchises in Japan, but generally they seem to have given up on the handheld market.

muu

Fire Emblem out of stock till 5/5 on Amazon, completely out of stock across Yodobashi stores through their website stock indicator as well. I've heard that previous entries in the series have been plagued with overstock leading to bargain bin pricing, but I wonder if Nintendo's being too cautious at this point and losing out on sales.

massoluk

Banned
Fire Emblem out of stock till 5/5 on Amazon, completely out of stock across Yodobashi stores through their website stock indicator as well. I've heard that previous entries in the series have been plagued with overstock leading to bargain bin pricing, but I wonder if Nintendo's being too cautious at this point and losing out on sales.

Nintendo? Too cautious on inventories? Say it aint so!
Damn you region lock.
/Shake fist

Cygnus X-1

The iPhone has a 10% market share of phones. About two thirds of the phone market are "dumbphones"; cheap, with no support for software and no significant software market. Nokia's marketshare is propped up by dumbphones (which they make no profit on). These are the dominant type of phone by numbers, but their lifetime is dwindling as smartphones take over. Nokia lost an enormous amount of money last year, because they are trying (thusfar without success) to break into the higher end smartphone market with their Windows Phone 7 initiative. Among smartphones, Apple has a high market share but not as high as Android. This is partially because Android itself is deployed on a very diverse array of phones, ranging from low end phones that are mostly bought by people who want a dumbphone or a feature phone all the way up to high end phones like the Galaxy SII and Galaxy Nexus that directly compete with the iPhone.

In some respects, Apple "wins": their phones are consistently the best-selling phone models in the smartphone bracket. They have by far the bulk of the industry's profit. They have excellent margins. They have a bigger software ecosystem. They're first for developers. They're achieving excellent YOY growth. Each successive model is launching bigger and staying bigger. I think you would find that very few Android manufacturers would not rather be in Apple's position. The suggestion right now is that only Samsung, some of the lower end commodity Chinese companies, and forkers like Amazon are actually achieving significant profit on Android. Apple also has great synergy between their phones and tablets, and the iPad is significantly more successful than Android tablets.

In other respects, Apple does not win: They certainly can't beat the entire Android ecosystem on unit volume, and that will never change. This is going to become even more evident as developing markets like China get bigger and bigger. They intentionally compete at a "premium" level, which is going to limit them from the lucrative entry-level stuff. This is partially because Apple is not and cannot be a commodity company, even though they do exercise strong supply chain control.

Apple's corporate vision (under Jobs) has been very well explained over the years by many different sources, most recently in the Walter Isaacson biography of Steve Jobs. Their business model is maintaining a profitable synergy between software, hardware, and user experience; competing in few product lines and doing it well.

You might disagree with Analysts. I don't particularly think Nintendo would benefit from releasing software on iOS, but I also don't have a solution for Nintendo because I think they face a number of structural challenges that they're not well attuned as a company to be able to respond to. If the size of the overall videogame market shrinks, or if people do become socialized not to pay full price for games, or if their digital initiatives are poorly executed, I think those failures will cost Nintendo dearly. The Wii U in particular is going to be a huge risk in my opinion. I don't think they could survive the transition to a software-only company without losing a lot of their competitive advantages, but I also see challenges for their hardware in an ongoing sense. More globally than in Japan, but there too.

But I don't think there's a need to be flippant and say "lol 10% marketshare apple sucks am i right??? analysts are numbskulls!!! pwnt!!!!"--Apple's success is not a collective hallucination of market analysts, it's very real, it's measurable, it's concrete.

Nice post.

Nintendo can survive only by innovating, as they always did. When they followed the leader, like they did with the Gamecube, they ended up having a constantly underselling console.

The Wii was crazy from the very beginning, but it created a fresh way to play games, even if - and that's reality - the Wiimote didn't live up its expectations. In fact, it was pretty underwhelming eventually and only some selected Nintendo games proved the contrary.

The mistake they did with the 3DS, outside launch line-up and price, was to not prove to the mass market that 3D without glasses was a must experience for everyone. They thought that the hype and the DS crazy records would have propelled the system without efforts. Like Sony thought with PS3. And now Nintendo was forced to drop the price and to insist on 2D games with mostly 2D capabilities and on franchises like Mario in order to sell the handheld at a decent pace. Not too different from what Sony did with PS3. It's incredible how people do not learn. Additionally in the west 3DS is still, unsurprisingly, selling underwhelmingly.

The big problem of Nintendo and its handheld in the end is not only the presence of smartphones, but it's their own inability to take advantage of the only thing that make 3DS unique in comparison to everything else on the market: 3D without glasses. And it doesn't matter if this was a dead end of not. They made a system betting everything on this effect alone. Period. They can't now duck off easily. The fact that in commercials you can't show that it's a big limitation. The fact that only one person at a time can see it also is a problem - especially with kids that used to watch the Gameboy when one was playing and the others were watching. The fact that many people gets tired from playing and cannot see the effect without getting all confused is a problem.

Nintendo should have taken all of that into account while developing the system. They behaved, once again, like they behaved with the N64: in a arrogant, too self-confident way. And they are now paying a very high price.

Wii U will need much, much more than just a copy of iPad as controller. Nintendo needs to prove they can create the hype. That they can make games that are interesting. They need a Wii Sports-like launch game. It's quite good that Iwata admitted all of that. He seems to be aware of the situation and the recent announce that all Wii U games will be downloadable is a sign that maybe something has changed - for the better.

My point is: Nintendo made big mistakes that could have been avoided and for that they had for the first-time ever FY figures in the red. They totally deserved it if you ask me. Analysts now are playing on that, betting how long it will take to see Nintendo out of the hardware business and make games for Apple. They are dumb, because if it is true that Nintendo itself is to blame for their situation, it is also true that too many times people were saying that Nintendo would have run out of business. When they made the N64 with cartridges. When they released the Gamecube. When PSP was announced and DS already was seen as dead even before coming out. When Wii was announced against X360 and PS3.

Guess what: Nintendo is s still around. And now only: they made so much money with DS and Wii - unprecedented in the history of Nintendo - that Sony and Microsoft would kill for having obtained just the half of these profits.

So, structural changes of not, they have all the know-how and the resources to overcome them. Let's see if they can surprise us, once again.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

From the previous 4 FEs (GC, Wii, DS, DS) only the Wii one was overstoked.

Probably a case of bigger than expected demand that becomes more difficult because of Golden Week. They shipped at first week more than LTD shipments of previous entries.

Gaborn

I agree with you, BUT I think for me this generation proved that Nintendo isn't the only one that has to learn this lesson. Sony and MS also have to offer a good value proposition that goes beyond more power but more of the same. They also have to break out of their comfort zone more and find different ways to appeal to consumers. The "core" might be happy with just "more" but I think we've seen that consumers generally are not.

Wow. Not in stock till May 5 either :eek:
That'll skew things a bit. Still, don't see people 'not' buying eventually.

Great signs for week 2 (as long as they haven't massively under-shipped...) Also softens retailers for the downloadable game cards :D

From the previous 4 FEs (GC, Wii, DS, DS) only the Wii one was overstoked.

Probably a case of bigger than expected demand that becomes more difficult because of Golden Week. They shipped at first week more than LTD shipments of previous entries.

Possibility of reaching half a million? It'd be amazing for the series.

muu

Wow. Not in stock till May 5 either :eek:
That'll skew things a bit. Still, don't see people 'not' buying eventually.

Great signs for week 2 (as long as they haven't massively under-shipped...) Also softens retailers for the downloadable game cards :D

Also saw a link to a Sofmap Nipponbashi tweet that says they're sold out, and next shipment is unknown due to Golden Week. Sales probably were better than Nintendo expected, considering how it seems demand's far outstripped supply. And yeah, this would be a great example of a time where that DL scheme would have been beneficial for retailers.

I do wonder though, will a retailer-sold DL code be tracked like the sale of physical copies? It's already an unknown factor w/ Vita, but given a somewhat retail presence Nintendo's take on it could have an even bigger impact on the physical : digital sales ratio.

donny2112

I do wonder though, will a retailer-sold DL code be tracked like the sale of physical copies? It's already an unknown factor w/ Vita, but given a somewhat retail presence Nintendo's take on it could have an even bigger impact on the physical : digital sales ratio.

It'll definitely be tracked. It may just be tracked as an accessory. Not sure how the PSPgo cards were classified by NPD, for example. It'll definitely be tracked some way, though. Seems reasonable to track them as game sales, but it'll be up to MC/Enterbrain.

Truth101

Banned
Also saw a link to a Sofmap Nipponbashi tweet that says they're sold out, and next shipment is unknown due to Golden Week. Sales probably were better than Nintendo expected, considering how it seems demand's far outstripped supply. And yeah, this would be a great example of a time where that DL scheme would have been beneficial for retailers.

I feel like it would be tracked as an actual game, at least I can't think of any reasons why it wouldn't be. It would be really cool if MC or Enterbrain will give us a breakdown of ow many digital codes of NSMB2 are sold and how many retail copies are sold.

Seeing as how Nintendo will probably give us a combined total we could easily separate e-shop purchases/retail code purchases, and boxed purchases.

It would be really interesting to see the split.

And yeah, this would be a great example of a time where that DL scheme would have been beneficial for retailers.

Its why whilst some people are confused by the idea, its so strong. You don't need anyone taking the added risk of being left with stock you need to hold/sell at a loss. Instead you have some cards that are probably sold cheaply to retailers who then only pay full once the game is bought online. Its a win win. The person taking on the cost is the consumer who needs to wait for a download, but they own the product (meaning no sales missed out) and don't wait as long as they might.

It would be really interesting to see the split.

I would love that actually. Add some interest as well, and maybe allow us to gain a rather cheap/dodgy view of who is buying the games.
E.g. do some do better in one format or the other? Who are these people etc.

Just as a test of Japans pulse for downloads as well.

Bruno MB

The first Fire Emblem DS Game was under-shipped too:

[NDS] Fire Emblem: New Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light (Nintendo) {2008.08.07} (¥4.800) - 252,309

1st week. 148,000 / NEW
2nd week. 33,000 / 180,697 (-78%)
3rd week. 3,968 / 184,665 (-88%)
4th week. 18,960 / 203,625 (+478%)

[3DS] Kingdom Hearts 3D -Dream Drop Distance- # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.03.29} (¥6.090) - 12.881 / 289.668 (-39%) (333,000 units shipped)

After 25 days on the market it hasn't still sold what Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days did in its first 2 days.

LOCK

[3DS] Kingdom Hearts 3D -Dream Drop Distance- # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.03.29} (¥6.090) - 12.881 / 289.668 (-39%) (333,000 units shipped)

After 25 days on the market it hasn't still sold what Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days did in its first 2 days.

This is just sad.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: Week 18, 2012 (Apr 23 - Apr 29)

01./00. [PS3] Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City <STG> (Capcom) {2012.04.26} (¥6.990)
02./00. [WII] Mario Party 9 <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.04.26} (¥5.800)
03./01. [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening <SLG> (Nintendo) {2012.04.19} (¥4.800)
04./00. [PSV] Ciel Nosurge: Ushinawareta Hoshi e Sasagu Uta # <ADV> (Gust) {2012.04.26} (¥5.040)
05./00. [PSP] Conception: Please Give Birth to My Child!! <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2012.04.26} (¥6.279)
06./00. [PSP] Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling # <ADV> (5pb.) {2012.04.26} (¥6.090)
07./03. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800)
08./00. [3DS] Dynasty Warriors Vs. <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.04.26} (¥6.090)
09./00. [PSP] Even in a Game, Listen to Me Girls. I Am Your Father! # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.04.26} (¥6.280)
10./05. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)

BurntPork

Banned
Famitsu Sales: Week 18, 2012 (Apr 23 - Apr 29)

01./00. [PS3] Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City <STG> (Capcom) {2012.04.26} (¥6.990)
02./00. [WII] Mario Party 9 <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.04.26} (¥5.800)
03./01. [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening <SLG> (Nintendo) {2012.04.19} (¥4.800)
04./00. [PSV] Ciel Nosurge: Ushinawareta Hoshi e Sasagu Uta # <ADV> (Gust) {2012.04.26} (¥5.040)
05./00. [PSP] Even in a Game, Listen to Me Girls. I Am Your Father! # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.04.26} (¥6.280)
06./00. [PSP] Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling # <ADV> (5pb.) {2012.04.26} (¥6.090)
07./03. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800)
08./00. [3DS] Dynasty Warriors Vs. <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.04.26} (¥6.090)
09./00. [PSP] Conception: Please Give Birth to My Child!! <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2012.04.26} (¥6.279)
10./05. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
God danm it! :(

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dynasty Warriors Vs. bomba? Was the game any good, it seemed promising but also could just be a cheap rehash with some twists... I imagine even the top 2 will have rather meh numbers... That, or ORC will really surprise me..!

the way u guys go on and on about games not selling well, it's like you want them to.

Oh no, you must be mistaken. I'm not happy about this, but I found the joke more accurate. I'd rather see this game selling 600k or maybe more, because it would make Square Enix makes more games on 3DS, instead of going iOS.
Also, I don't think the game sold bad. I mean, yes the serie was used to sell more, but come on, I know a lot of game who'd like to sell 300k in one country.

Top Bottom