• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2013 (Apr 29 - May 05)

So, Sony's annual results will be released at 2AM EDT tonight. I'm not expecting any big news regarding the future of Vita one way or another quite yet, but the sections regarding it will be pretty interesting:

-Will, per jvm's sources, Sony actually release separate PSP and Vita numbers?
-Will they be realistic with their investors and admit that they might, might ship three million or so worldwide this FY, or will they make another deludedly optimistic projection?

Stay tuned!

16 million! Only Vita, of course :p

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Who knows what on earth games those Golden Week WiiU buyers bought, because its not like theres a huge range to split 13k between, and yet nothing on the charts.

NSMB U and Game & Wario are in the famitsu top 30 I believe.

Lot of Vita bashing. I don't think some folks like seeing it being #2 on the charts week after week, while other, newer platforms sink.

Sony needs more big titles, admittedly, but holding on to 20k a week sales isn't isn't thing to laugh at during a games drought.

Any word on them highlighting japanese indie games the same way they do western ones?

hiska-kun

This company would be dumb to put their software on anything else than their own hardware

And I expected a huuuuge Vita bump while I didn't expect a smaaaaaaall Wii U bump - kind of weird how things go sometimes

Hope all Japanese GAFFERs had a great GW!

Thank you, yeah I went to Hiroshima and I had a lot of fun. ;)

schuelma

Lot of Vita bashing. I don't think some folks like seeing it being #2 on the charts week after week, while other, newer platforms sink.

Sony needs more big titles, admittedly, but holding on to 20k a week sales isn't isn't thing to laugh at during a games drought.

Any word on them highlighting japanese indie games the same way they do western ones?

People "bashing" Vita are acknowledging the likely reality- systems go down after Golden Week, especially when there is nothing in the near future to spur sales.

-Will they be realistic with their investors and admit that they might, might ship three million or so worldwide this FY, or will they make another deludedly optimistic projection?

Stay tuned!

Why would they predict 3 milions when they will be selling more in every territory ?

serplux

05./27. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.28} (¥5.800) - 15.094 / 177.157
11./28. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040) - 8.979 / 478.092
14./34. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040) - 6.464 / 479.603

Namco really has a thing for software with legs on the 3DS, huh?

Why would they predict 3 milions when they will be selling more in every territory ?

Wat.

This. I really don't understand the doom and gloom even though its been very consistent in sales and its been sitting pretty at the #2 spot for a while now without any significant SW pushing it. That speaks volumes about how interested Japan is in the platform. Imagine a week when a significant piece of SW actually shows up. Like God Eater 2 or whatnot.

Edit:

People "bashing" Vita are acknowledging the likely reality- systems go down after Golden Week, especially when there is nothing in the near future to spur sales.

Then by that logic we should be "bashing" on all the systems since its likely all systems will fall in sales next week. No?

Nibel

Thank you, yeah I went to Hiroshima and I had a lot of fun. ;)

I don't know how much you know about Japanese culture (I'm not an expert), but if you could say it with your own words: what exactly is GW and how is it celebrated in Japan? I'm curious and the internet gives some vague answers

And yet, people have been saying that the last month, that the bump is over and sales will fall, but it keeps staying steady or even rising a bit week over week.

I stand by what I said. People who are expecting it to fall are growing agitated that it's not doing so.

This. I really don't understand the doom and gloom even though its been very consistent in sales and its been sitting pretty at the #2 spot for a while now without any significant SW pushing it. That speaks volumes about how interested Japan is in the platform. Imagine a week when a significant piece of SW actually shows up. Like God Eater 2 or whatnot.

Weekly average is still low to incentivize developers to bring their major releases on the platform. Indeed, there are no exclusive titles on the horizon, let alone titles that can really have a long-lasting effect on hardware sales.

I don't know how much Sony is happy to see such a low weekly average after the price-cut and the software releases they planned last March.

I don't think you understand how Vita is selling. It won't even come close to 3 million in Japan let alone the US and Europe. It won't even do 3 million combined in the US and Europe unless they give them away.

DaBoss

It's not relative to the platform. Otherwise we could say Game and Wario was a major release because Wii U is selling awfully.
These are not major titles. They only are relative to everything else on Vita. Though I guess you can make a case for SS in that Sony was banking on it to be major.
All of these games are too niche to be called major. Sony probably wanted Soul Sacrifice to be one though.
Games and franchises are not relative to a platform.

A game/franchise is a major game/franchise or it isn't. It's that simple.

OK, I always considered major releases relative to the platform they are on. What would be a way to distinguish major releases? They have to be part of an existing franchise that can sell 500K+?

05./27. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.28} (¥5.800) - 15.094 / 177.157
11./28. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040) - 8.979 / 478.092
14./34. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040) - 6.464 / 479.603

Wat.

Dragon Ball is much higher in Famitsu, at 184k.

Frillen

You're saying this as 20k during golden week is impressive. It isn't. Secondly, the only really healthy system in Japan at the moment is the 3DS. So being #2 on the hardware charts doesn't say a lot really. The Vita will most likely decline to well under 20k next week, potentially under 15k, so I guess we'll see you then.

schuelma

And yet, people have been saying that the last month, that the bump is over and sales will fall, but it keeps staying steady or even rising a bit week over week.

I stand by what I said. People who are expecting it to fall are growing agitated that it's not doing so.

Ok

These attempts to portray Vita doubters as disgruntled Nintendo fans covering for the Wii U are getting really very tiresome.

Yes, Wii U is dead. Doesn't change the fact that 20k isn't a particularly healthy baseline for any console, particularly if it's a console that has undergone a swingeing price cut and that isn't in any way, shape or form guaranteed to settle at its current level.

And you don't get to play the "but it's impressive because it doesn't have games!" card, either. That's entirely on Sony that there aren't compelling titles, and its performance isn't really positive, with or without them.

It's already fallen to around 15k. Its fall was arrested by the holiday. Once the holiday is over, the hardware will fall again.

These aren't difficult concepts to grasp.

Soriku

At the moment the #2 spot in Japan is nothing that special. Also if God Eater 2 is considered major, then the Vita can be considered to have major games already. Doubly so when the bulk of God Eater 2's sales will come from the PSP.

Vita went up to 60k after the price cut. Steady? It couldn't even stay at 30k or 20k for that matter. And honestly the worse thing about Vita is the software presence anyway.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel this is also relevant here so:

Capcom said:
1. Digital Content business

In the Digital Contents business, which constitutes our core competence, the flagship title "Resident Evil 6" (for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360) sold at a brisk pace initially when it was launched. Its sales, however, subsequently plateaued. As a result, it did not meet with our projection and thus was not able to play a role in leading the segment's sales growth. In contrast, "Dragon's Dogma" (for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360) became a greater-than-expected hit product in the domestic market, which has high profitability, and became an unprecedented million seller in the recent years as an original title. In addition, "DmC Devil May Cry" (for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360) enjoyed stable popularity in overseas markets and posted solid sales. Furthermore, "Monster Hunter 3 (Tri) G HD Ver.", which was our first title for the new home video console "Wii U" that was launched in December 2012, also became a smash hit. However, its package sales were generally soft.

In the meantime, "Minna to Monhan Card Master", which the Company began to distribute via Mobage in the previous fiscal year, continued to post growth, thanks to the increasingly widespread of smartphones. At the same time, "Resident Evil: Outbreak Survive" for GREE steadily gained new users. As a consequence, both titles enjoyed membership exceeding two million each.

Additionally, the "Monster Hunter Frontier Online" series has remained a perennial favorite and continued to bring in stable income. Strong results being achieved by the contents segment is leading the Company's profit structure to undergo a transformation.

Furthermore, "Smurf's Village" under "Beeline" brand has securely built stable sales over a long range.

The resulting net sales were 63,636 million yen (up 6.4 % from the previous year) and operating income was 7,062 million yen (down 45.2 % from the previous year).
Source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/review.html

I don't think you understand how Vita is selling. It won't even come close to 3 million in Japan let alone the US and Europe. It won't even do 3 million combined in the US and Europe unless they give them away.

You realise I'm replaying to post saying Sony won't ship 3 milions Vita Worldwide in next fiscal year right ?

Frillen

Edit:

Then by that logic we should be "bashing" on all the systems since its likely all systems will fall in sales next week. No?

Again, doesn't really matter since the only healthy platform in Japan is the 3DS. Being #2 means nothing, you have to look at the raw numbers. I'm looking forward to seeing you next week when the Vita has a huge decline.

You realise I'm replaying to post saying Sony won't ship 3 milions Vita Worldwide in next fiscal year right ?

Yes, and that is actually very likely. It's dead in Europe and the US. Even if a pricecut doubled sales in the US and Europe it wouldn't reach 3 million. It's selling that badly. Software situation is horrendous as well in the west. I don't know what figures you've been looking at, but they don't match up with reality.

BriBri

Namco Bandai are really a success story of 3DS.

Alrus

The only sorta "major" release the Vita got was Mina no Golf (if we consider previous titles) and it really suffered from the shitty sales the Vita had in the early life and it won't have nearly as much legs as previous titles considering it's been ported to PS3 now.

Again, doesn't really matter since the only healthy platform in Japan is the 3DS. I'm looking forward to seeing you next week when the Vita have a huge decline.

Lol this is what everyone said last week and the week before that. So yes I'll see you next week. I expect the Vita to still maintain over 18K next week and still be in #2 spot. Lets see if I am right next week.

TheChaos0

At the moment the #2 spot in Japan is nothing that special. Also if God Eater 2 is considered major, then the Vita can be considered to have major games already. Doubly so when the bulk of God Eater 2's sales will come from the PSP.

The split will be certainly interesting too see. What will the split be? Sadly there's no concrete release date for God Eater, is there?

These attempts to portray Vita doubters as disgruntled Nintendo fans covering for the Wii U are getting really very tiresome.

Yes, Wii U is dead. Doesn't change the fact that 20k isn't a particularly healthy baseline for any console, particularly if it's a console that has undergone a swingeing price cut and that isn't in any way, shape or form guaranteed to settle at its current level.

And you don't get to play the "but it's impressive because it doesn't have games!" card, either. That's entirely on Sony that there aren't compelling titles, and its performance isn't really positive, with or without them.

It's already fallen to around 15k. Its fall was arrested by the holiday. Once the holiday is over, the hardware will fall again.

These aren't difficult concepts to grasp.

I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong in posting it would hit sub-10k before Golden Week, Vita was actually pretty impressive in what it was able to maintain after the first post week price drop week, as sales didn't decrease as quickly as expected. However I think people also underestimate the sheer amount of games that charted for the Vita these past two months. From what I understand the Vita has absolutely nothing on the release schedule moving forward through the summer. That's a scary thought.

Lol this is what everyone said last week and the week before that. So yes I'll see you next week. I expect the Vita to still maintain over 18K next week and still be in #2 spot. Lets see if I am right next week.

Who said Vita would have a big decline at Golden week?

Oh, yes, don't get me wrong, Vita's done better than I suspected it would since the price cut.

That's not to say it's doing outstanding well, though.

BriBri

It's actually #3 as 3DS is two SKU's.

So you're expecting Vita to maintain mediocre and disappointing sales on a weekly basis. Cool.

The split will be certainly interesting too see. What will the split be? Sadly there's no concrete release date for God Eater, is there?

It'll be hard to calculate considering a lot of people download their games from PSN with their Vitas. I have 1 hard copy game and 10 digitally downloaded titles.

DaBoss

You're not getting it. It doesn't matter if it is in the #2 spot. It is selling poorly and will see a large drop.

If the Vita sold 18K this week, it would be in the #2 spot, does that mean it did well? I want you to answer that.

And anyone who expected it to decline in Golden Week is a fool, but this week's sales are really close to last week's, which is not good news.

It'll be hard to calculate considering a lot of people download their games from PSN with their Vitas. I have 1 hard copy game and 10 digitally downloaded titles.

Please don't play the "digital card" unless we have concrete info. And please don't use your own anecdotal experience.

It is not as simple as that.

I'm starting to believe that there isn't actually a new thread for sales every week because every time it's the exact same thing :p

Everybody is patently wrong on every prediction they've made
They say "wait until next week, I'll be right!"
Debate about Vita sales/software
WiiU doom
3DS legs

Edit: top of page, uh oh

So Vita's doing really well, but only in nebulous, unquantifiable figures.

Gotcha. That's a relief.

How many Vitas have been downloaded, BTW? Perhaps impressive Vita figures are contained within that number.

Top Bottom