• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2013 (Apr 29 - May 05)

BriBri

It'll be hard to calculate considering a lot of people download their games from PSN with their Vitas. I have 1 hard copy game and 10 digitally downloaded titles.
I have two hard copy JP 3DS games and over 30 digital titles. And my Dad is bigger than your Dad.

Edit: my point being that one cannot definitively use digital hypotheticals for sales data unless such data is released. And there's probably a good reason when data is released and good reasons when it all too often isn't.

There's this thing called pricecut incoming so it should be up YOY in Japan, Europe and USA.

Won't help much when the Western software lineup is even weaker than last year's, and Japan's is marginally stronger at best (GE2 and FFX will probably sell less on Vita than Miku and Persona).

Not to mention that there are probably somewhere around a million or more unsold Vitas on store shelves worldwide (1.8 million Vitas confirmed shipped in FY2011, plus probably 3-3.5M shipped in FY2012, minus 3.7M actual sellthrough in the US/Japan/Europe as of the end of March per shinra-bansho's math in the "can Vita be salvaged in the west?" thread), which will significantly limit how many retailers will be ordering this FY.

Again, doesn't really matter since the only healthy platform in Japan is the 3DS. Being #2 means nothing, you have to look at the raw numbers. I'm looking forward to seeing you next week when the Vita has a huge decline.
Even raw numbers mean nothing. It's all about profit, and Vita just had a huge price drop. There's no way in hell Sony is making money off of this thing.

serplux

I have two hard copy JP 3DS games and over 30 digital titles. And my Dad is bigger than your Dad.

Edit: my point being that one cannot definitively use digital hypotheticals for sales data unless such data is released. And there's probably a good reason when data is released and good reasons when it all too often isn't.

How's Tomadachi Collection doing digitally anyways?

So Vita's doing really well, but only in nebulous, unquantifiable figures.

Gotcha. That's a relief.

See I don't recall saying that with that post. But whatever you want to twist my words as.

I said for GOD EATER 2 it will be hard to calculate the "real" split between the platforms (Vita and PSP).

-Will they be realistic with their investors and admit that they might, might ship three million or so worldwide this FY, or will they make another deludedly optimistic projection?

Given the history, I expect delusion. Something similar to Nintendo being crazy again with their forecast.

Alrus

Using chart position as a metric for success is a bit dumb. It doesn't matter if you're number 1 or 2 if everything below is selling like crap. Vita sales are really mediocre, I guess it's nice that it stabilized for a while but it doesn't mean everything is nice and rosy in the future.

The Vita still has zero major exclusive announced for it, upcoming announced software are far away and spaced out way too much to give it a sustainable boost. (most of them being niche or not exclusive to top it off).

TheChaos0

See I don't recall saying that with that post. But whatever you want to twist my words as.

I said for GOD EATER 2 it will be hard to calculate the "real" split between the platforms (Vita and PSP).

Both PSP and Vita can download the game, so I don't think there's going to be a large difference. Physical split will be far more interesting look at.

hiska-kun

I don't know how much you know about Japanese culture (I'm not an expert), but if you could say it with your own words: what exactly is GW and how is it celebrated in Japan? I'm curious and the internet gives some vague answers

It's my first Golden Week in Japan, so I'm not an expert either (streetsahead or someone else should know better).

My school had holidays the entire week, but some others just the public holidays (April 29th, May 3rd, 4th and 5th). Golden Week is one of the longest holiday period in Japan, and a lot of people spend their time traveling.
Even that, shops are still open everyday, so people who work there can't travel. The holidays are for the schools and enterprises. .

The most important holiday (for sales) was Sunday 5th, the day of the child. They get some presents or money to spend. Some shops had promotions (but not a great deal).
This year was on Sunday, that's why Monday 6th was also a holiday. Maybe next week the sales drop is not as hard as other years thanks to this.

BriBri

10% of retail sales wouldn't be bad, but the percentage will be lower.
I guess Iwata will announce figures soon like they did with Animal Crossing, and since there's no other territory, it should be easier to work out JP sales (as they're 100%!) than Luigi or Fire Emblem etc figures.

DaBoss

Alright. See you all next week.

It'll be interesting to watch. That much is guaranteed.

Wait, before you go, can you answer this question so I can fully understand what your point is:

If the Vita sold 18K this week, it would be in the #2 spot, does that mean it did well?

Basil

Banned
I can remember reading on here about how Wii U would surpass Vita LTD by the end of 2012.

Maybe next year?

AmanoBuff

With the exception of the 3DS, it was a so so week for all hardware.

A bit disappointing only the Vita sold more compared to the same week last year. Did all platforms had nice software on the same period last year to drive those higher hw sales? Or is the overall market suffering from a slight decline despite good software?

Vita sales interesting but I fear it will plummet in the next few weeks.

Glad to see Luigi selling sooooo strong.

Wondering which games those who bought a WiiU got.

Can't believe PSP still selling like it does. Lol.

Wait, before you go, can you answer this question so I can fully understand what your point is:

If the Vita sold 18K this week, it would be in the #2 spot, does that mean it did well?

I don't deal in hypotheticals concerning things that have already happened.

I'm starting to believe that there isn't actually a new thread for sales every week because every time it's the exact same thing :p

Everybody is patently wrong on every prediction they've made
They say "wait until next week, I'll be right!"
Debate about Vita sales/software
WiiU doom
3DS legs

Edit: top of page, uh oh

i think it's fun to see how people react about hw sales according to their beloved platform, the first page is amazing every week :D

Chunky

I'm so pleased with Luigi's numbers, Next-Level deserved this hit. This should mean Nintendo will be more than happy giving them another decent project to work on, instead of going back to Mario sports games.

Spiegel

With the exception of the 3DS, it was a so so week for all hardware.

It's a so so GW in general. Nothing like the insane GWs early in the past generation

3rd GW for DS
1st GW for Wii

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   256,063 |   172,440 | 2,603,200 | 16,608,879
2. WII   -   102,522 |    77,913 | 1,350,852 |  2,270,495
3. PSP   -    33,860 |    29,459 |   804,223 |  5,336,352
4. PS3   -    12,791 |    11,000 |   404,082 |    861,640
5. PS2   -    12,584 |    11,398 |   309,789 | 20,464,648
6. 360   -     3,162 |     2,307 |    90,345 |    355,047
7. GBA   -     1,125 |     1,364 |    34,654 | 15,332,733
8. NGC   -       167 |       266 |     6,369 |  4,175,837

Those two were truly beasting everything else.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154255

AllHailTheKing_zps5d4bdf5f.png

zroid

Banned
For anyone wondering, Game & Wario is #22 on Famitsu's top 30 with 4150 copies sold; NSMBU is #27 with 3561.

SmokyDave

Alright. See you all next week.

It'll be interesting to watch. That much is guaranteed.
Whilst I admire your enormous testicles, I think you should bear in mind that the Vita only saw a small rise this week. Coupled with no software releases next week, I think 18k is a tad on the high side.

It's a so so GW in general. Nothing like the insane GWs early in the past generation

3rd GW for DS
1st GW for Wii

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   256,063 |   172,440 | 2,603,200 | 16,608,879
2. WII   -   102,522 |    77,913 | 1,350,852 |  2,270,495
3. PSP   -    33,860 |    29,459 |   804,223 |  5,336,352
4. PS3   -    12,791 |    11,000 |   404,082 |    861,640
5. PS2   -    12,584 |    11,398 |   309,789 | 20,464,648
6. 360   -     3,162 |     2,307 |    90,345 |    355,047
7. GBA   -     1,125 |     1,364 |    34,654 | 15,332,733
8. NGC   -       167 |       266 |     6,369 |  4,175,837

Those two were truly beasting everything else.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154255

Wow. Dat DS. It should be pretty clear now that even in Japan 3DS wil not be new DS. Still it's only healthy platform currently. Japanese gaming market as a whole is in pretty shit situation though and it's going to see pretty huge drop compared to last gen.

AmanoBuff

To be fair, according to Famitsu, these are the previous four weeks:
and just after the price-cut + games period.
Those figures are quite low; higher than before? That's only it couldn't go worse.

These are MC Vita's numbers for the past 8 weeks:

Why you choose to use just last month's sales and Famitsu numbers ONLY? Is Famitsu more accurate than MC?

Is there something characteristic of the past month that doesn't apply to March?

Or just trying to downplay Vita's performance in the past month?

Is there something characteristic of the past month that doesn't apply to March?

Um... not being in the immediate wake of a price cut and during a concentration of (relatively for the platform) major software releases?

There's obviously no further price cut coming, and even >=75K software will be sporadic at best for the rest of the year.

Why you choose to use just last month's sales and Famitsu numbers ONLY? Is Famitsu more accurate than MC?

The user I was replying to was just referring to a non better specific weekly average of 20k, so I just took the last weeks to show that Vita didn't have such an average. Thanks for showing that even with MC Vita didn't have a baseline of 20k units.

edit: as for Famitsu numbers, I know where to find them to copy / paste here, i.e. gamedatamuseum.

I think 6-7M might be attainable for Wii U given the probable Q4 lineup, but 9M? Heck no.

I said I'll wait until after its first full Holiday period before passing judgement on WiiU, so I'll wait until after Quarter 4 to see if 6-7 million is achievable. 9 million however sounds like major wishful thinking to me, much like their forecast last year or Sony's PSV forecast last year.

Instro

Juniors on a roll today.

Dragon

Banned
People "bashing" Vita are acknowledging the likely reality- systems go down after Golden Week, especially when there is nothing in the near future to spur sales.

No need for quotation marks. Certainly the people who are bullish, as much as can be at this point, will even acknowledge the lack of games coming for the system. It's interesting that the people protesting the most are the ones making excuses for why it's stuck where it's at for as long as it has. No one expected it to do this, especially not you and Father_Brain going by some of your posts in previous threads. Am I disagreeing that it will go back down? No of course not, Sony has done a terrible job supporting it in Japan, and the indie announcements won't do jack in the region.

You realise I'm replaying to post saying Sony won't ship 3 milions Vita Worldwide in next fiscal year right ?

Let me clarify that: if enough things go right (Western price drop resulting in increased demand, unannounced major retail titles), they might be able to ship a bit over 3M. Maybe as much as 3.5M.

Skipping all the VITA Doom and Gloom. I am curious to know if the localization of AAA Western titles makes some profit or not?

Japan got two big releases last week, Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite. I don't see Infinite on the charts this week but Tomb Raider is still in the Top 20 but seems to have barely sold 50k units. Is it enough to make a profit? I would like to know since we also get JRPGs some time and i am sure that they sell a lot better than these titles in Japan. The only one that does quite good is Call of Duty, i think.

I don't get why people keep saying VITA is dying/dead. 3DS is not exactly selling gangbusters like NDS, especially if we compare to earlier Golden Week sales. The only thing that it is doing extremely well is in Software. Still, the low sales of Hardware in Japan are not exactly good news. To just focus on VITA would be wrong. Hardware sales as a whole are lackluster in Japan for this week.

Love Live VITA. May you see better times, soon.

AmanoBuff

Lol this is what everyone said last week and the week before that. So yes I'll see you next week. I expect the Vita to still maintain over 18K next week and still be in #2 spot. Lets see if I am right next week.

Vita over 18K next week - Nope
#2 hw spot - Yup, although numbers will be quite low, so it will not mean much.

Let me clarify that: if enough things go right (Western price drop resulting in increased demand, unannounced major retail titles), they might be able to ship a bit over 3M. Maybe as much as 3.5M.

Considering how accurate you usually are on predictions, I'm now expecting Vita sales to barely cross the threshold of 250 million Vitas sold in the next month :p

I keed, of course. Vita hardware ain't doing too hot anywhere

AmanoBuff

It'll be hard to calculate considering a lot of people download their games from PSN with their Vitas. I have 1 hard copy game and 10 digitally downloaded titles.

Wishful thinking. Digital or not, software sells hardware. Vita's sales for the past couple of months have clearly shown that.

No need for quotation marks. Certainly the people who are bullish, as much as can be at this point, will even acknowledge the lack of games coming for the system. It's interesting that the people protesting the most are the ones making excuses for why it's stuck where it's at for as long as it has. No one expected it to do this, especially not you and Father_Brain going by some of your posts in previous threads. Am I disagreeing that it will go back down? No of course not, Sony has done a terrible job supporting it in Japan, and the indie announcements won't do jack in the region.

So? I don't have a problem admitting that it's outperformed my extremely low expectations, but that doesn't make its performance good or even close to good, nor is there particularly strong evidence that it's actually found its new baseline yet.

The user I was replying to was just referring to a non better specific weekly average of 20k, so I just took the last weeks to show that Vita didn't have such an average. Thanks for showing that even with MC Vita didn't have a baseline of 20k units.

edit: as for Famitsu numbers, I know where to find them to copy / paste here, i.e. gamedatamuseum.

Thanks for this. I was wondering where you could get software sales for older consoles.

Skipping all the VITA Doom and Gloom. I am curious to know if the localization of AAA Western titles makes some profit or not?

Japan got two big releases last week, Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite. I don't see Infinite on the charts this week but Tomb Raider is still in the Top 20 but seems to have barely sold 50k units. Is it enough to make a profit? I would like to know since we also get JRPGs some time and i am sure that they sell a lot better than these titles in Japan. The only one that does quite good is Call of Duty, i think.

I don't get why people keep saying VITA is dying/dead. 3DS is not exactly selling gangbusters like NDS, especially if we compare to earlier Golden Week sales. The only thing that it is doing extremely well is in Software. Still, the low sales of Hardware in Japan are not exactly good news. To just focus on VITA would be wrong. Hardware sales as a whole are lackluster in Japan for this week.

You skipped it, but couldn't resist it in the end.

3DS is doing better than the DS was at this stage in its lifecycle iirc. The 3DS is doing very well, and clearly the leading piece of hardware and software in Japan for the past 12 months.

I realise you hold the vita close to your heart, but don't deny the truth and get impudent when people point how badly it's doing.

zero_suit

I don't understand your point. Every console is a failure compared to the DS.

Top Bottom