• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2017 (May 01 - May 07)

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 19 2017

01./01. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
02./02. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
03./00. [3DS] Attack on Titan: Escape from Certain Death <ADV> (Koei Tecmo)
04./03. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games)
05./05. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
06./04. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia <SLG> (Nintendo)
07./06. [PS4] Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition <RPG> (From Software)
08./08. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
09./07. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Climax <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games)
10./10. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars <SPT> (Nintendo)
11./12. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft)
12./09. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
13./11. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
14./18. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT>
15./14. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
16./13. [3DS] Cube Creator DX <ADV> (Arc System Works)
17./17. [PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2-2: The Maiden Who Fell into Darkness and the Book of Beginnings <RPG> (Aqua Plus)
(Take-Two Interactive Japan)
18./19. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)
19./16. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
20./21. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)

Chindogg

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 19 2017

01./01. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
02./02. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
03./00. [3DS] Attack on Titan: Escape from Certain Death <ADV> (Koei Tecmo)
04./03. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games)
05./05. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
06./04. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia <SLG> (Nintendo)
07./06. [PS4] Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition <RPG> (From Software)
08./08. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
09./07. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Climax <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games)
10./10. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars <SPT> (Nintendo)
11./12. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft)
12./09. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
13./11. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
14./18. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT>
15./14. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
16./13. [3DS] Cube Creator DX <ADV> (Arc System Works)
17./17. [PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2-2: The Maiden Who Fell into Darkness and the Book of Beginnings <RPG> (Aqua Plus)
(Take-Two Interactive Japan)
18./19. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)
19./16. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
20./21. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)

Jesus, only 6 non-Nintendo games.

Maxinas

So, how is Echoes faring in Japan compared to other remakes? Starting to climb up the ranks on Amazon.com, so it looks like i'll do well in the West despite fears.

salromano

I don't know if this has been brought up yet but it seems like SMT V might be Switch/PS4 multiplat....

https://www.workport.co.jp/details/hikoukai/401534636

Job listing is likely for Studio Zero, because it's for a new IP. The company in the listing is private, but mentions its past works include Persona, SMT, etc. so it's obviously Atlus. In describing the company, the listing says 'This company's greatest hit has currently released up to its 4th title, and its sequel is also planned for release on PS4,' which is where people are getting the SMT5 PS4 suggestion. But the likely scenario is that they're just using old copy from before Persona 5 released. SMT is good, but I think as far as Atlus' greatest hit goes in terms of sales, it's Persona. It also would be weird for them to just randomly throw PS4 in there instead of or without Switch. Regardless, I think SMT5 is multiplatform anyway. I mean the site itself calls it an HD Project instead of a Switch Project, whereas DSJ is called a 3DS Project, not Handheld Project.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
putting minecraft on the tv commercial, I see what you did there nintendo
https://youtu.be/wPWOdwQ0EcI

For those who can't watch it, this general Switch ad features

- Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition
- Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Super Bomberman R

Good to see Nintendo being this proactive with different commercials, and featuring several third party games in them (earlier this year, they had a commercial showing DQHI-II and FIFA).

Fiendcode

What? It would be a DLC expansion of the best selling Persona game on the system Persona has sold the most on.
Best selling Persona game yes, system Persona has sold the most on no.

PS1: 887,862
PS2: 742,462
PSP: 632,326
PSV: 469,711
PS3: 428,267
PS4: 411,857
3DS: 267,172
360: 12,869

I don't see why it's an either/or thing for P5 though. The only Persona to ever get a Fes before also got a Portable release too. No reason P5C couldn't be both PS4 and Switch multiplatform, like what many are suggesting for SMTV.

PSP: 632,326
PSV: 469,711
PS3: 428,267
PS4: 411,857
3DS: 267,172
360: 12,869

I don't see why it's an either/or thing for P5 though. The only Persona to ever get a Fes before also got a Portable release too. No reason P5C couldn't be both PS4 and Switch multiplatform, like what many are suggesting for SMTV.

I was talking WW and current systems. P3P, P4G happened because Atlus was unable to get P5 out on PS3 is how I see it. They used Catherine to come to grips with its engine iirc. I see no reason for a P5P, rather there's more to be made by releasing P5FES. Pointless talking about platforms but PS4 is guaranteed.

duckroll

I was talking WW and current systems. P3P, P4G happened because Atlus was unable to get P5 out on PS3 is how I see it. They used Catherine to come to grips with its engine iirc. I see no reason for a P5P, rather there's more to be made by releasing P5FES. Pointless talking about platforms but PS4 is guaranteed.

I don't understand what the words in these sentences mean.

KtSlime

I know you are apt to use whatever numbers suit your view*, but please at least preface your message with "World Wide". The standard in this thread is to use Japanese sales, as you know, it is a Japanese sales thread.

I think if Sega and Atlas see a way of making more money without having to make a completely new game, they will take it.

*your love and defense of the PS4 is truly breath taking.

Alrus

More money to be made with an enhanced re-release than a portable version? What?

Zedark

Regardless of why P4G happened, it is the second best-selling Persona game behind P5. And that on the anemic Vita userbase too. That either means that there is definite demand for a handheld version or that the hardcore Persona fanbase is share between PS4 and Vita. Is there any indication for either, and therefore to assume a Switch version wouldn't make as much or more sense than a PS4 re-release?

Hellraider

You know, I also didn't expect Atlus to bother with making a portable P5 version, but if freaking Disgaea has 110k pre-orders in the west, Persona would probably sell three millions or something.

Fiendcode

What are the WW breakdowns per system btw?

Fes more money than Portable? Really?

Persona 3 Fes: 173,244
Persona 3 Portable: 208,877
Persona 4 Golden: 345,377

mclem

Somewhat surprised that 1+the two 2's on PS1 outsold what we generally regard as the huge breakout titles - 3 and 4 - on PS2. I suppose there are three of them, but still...

Could it just be because 4 was such a late release on PS2?

mclem

Jesus, only 6 non-Nintendo games.

zRizQVl.jpg

duckroll

Somewhat surprised that 1+the two 2's on PS1 outsold what we generally regard as the huge breakout titles - 3 and 4 - on PS2. I suppose there are three of them, but still...

Could it just be because 4 was such a late release on PS2?

Erm. What. More words I cannot process and understand. It's like everyone here is speaking alien language today with regards to Persona facts.

Regardless of why P4G happened, it is the second best-selling Persona game behind P5. And that on the anemic Vita userbase too. That either means that there is definite demand for a handheld version or that the hardcore Persona fanbase is share between PS4 and Vita. Is there any indication for either, and therefore to assume a Switch version wouldn't make as much or more sense than a PS4 re-release?

Or fans bought a PSV to play P4G. P5FES would not be just a re-release. Have you played P3FES or P4G? The extra content is substantial.
Eh, I already told you that I don't know about other platforms except PS4 would be a guarantee.

More money to be made with an enhanced re-release than a portable version? What?

P5FES would be a sizeable expansion/continuation of P5.

What are the WW breakdowns per system btw?

Fes more money than Portable? Really?

Persona 3 Fes: 173,244
Persona 3 Portable: 208,877
Persona 4 Golden: 345,377

Ain't hard considering P5 has done near 1.5 million, with the vast majority on PS4. PSV would be close but thats not a viable system for P5.

Yes, as you could be looking at 2 million+ P5 players who might want to see further continuation of the story and the game. Really depends on how big the expansion is or if Atlus even wants to continue the P5 story (though I think this would be obvious considering its success).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
With that price tag, they'll be searching for a while for it.

Its not that simple ...no Kid buys a 20k Yen n3DS XL either. Parents and Granparents buy this stuff usually...the same for homeconsoles. Switch being both in one and offering local coop - for example Mon playing with her daughter in coop Animal Crossing or Mario Kart can justify the price for alot of families.

3DS wasnt really cheap either and the market mostly ignored the cheaper 2DS variant - price is important but that refers to the value proposition per customer. The Switch at a higher price point has much more appeal than the 3DS ever had.

mclem

Erm. What. More words I cannot process and understand. It's like everyone here is speaking alien language today with regards to Persona facts.

What I'm saying I guess boils down to "Persona 1, 2EP and 2IS sold better than I thought. Or possibly 3, 3Fes and 4 sold worse than I thought", I guess.

Or have I missed a Persona title on either of those platforms?

duckroll

What I'm saying I guess boils down to "Persona 1, 2EP and 2IS sold better than I thought. Or possibly 3, 3Fes and 4 sold worse than I thought", I guess.

Or have I missed a Persona title on either of those platforms?

Persona 1 sold 390k because it was released in the golden age of Japanese console gaming where anything can sell a ton. Persona has always been popular. The only times Persona games sold less than 200k was when they didn't release any Persona games.

mclem

Persona 1 sold 390k because it was released in the golden age of Japanese console gaming where anything can sell a ton. Persona has always been popular. The only times Persona games sold less than 200k was when they didn't release any Persona games.

So basically, the big Persona 3 breakthrough for the series wasn't really a thing in Japan, it just kept similar success?

I'm so used to hearing that P3 was a massive hit that pushed the series to greater heights that I'd assumed that it had a similar trajectory in Japan.

duckroll

So basically, the big Persona 3 breakthrough for the series wasn't really a thing in Japan, it just kept similar success?

There was no "Persona 3 breakthrough". Persona 4 is when it started exploding in popularity. Persona 4 outsold 3 and 1. P4G almost doubled that. P5 outsold P4.

mclem

There was no "Persona 3 breakthrough". Persona 4 is when it started exploding in popularity. Persona 4 outsold 3 and 1. P4G almost doubled that. P5 outsold P4.

And *that's* the bit I'm missing, right!

I'd got it into my head that Fes was partially because P3 had been a hit.

duckroll

Translation: "I really like Sony and I want my Sony-exclusives to stay exclusive !"

There is literally no sound reason why SMT V and Persona 5 shouldn't be both on Switch and PS4.

Well, there kinda is. But it wasn't expressed in those words. Atlus is traditionally really lazy about expanding beyond their perceived comfort zones. It's kinda weird. There's no Catherine remaster (it's on Gamebyro!!!) for PC/PS4/XB1 even though it totally makes sense. There probably won't be P5 on XB1 and PC either. So given how they already picked PS3 and PS4 as the platforms for P5 and released it, and found it very successful, I do think it -is- possible they could just stick to that when making an expansion, and release it as DLC and retail GOTY. Without bothering with any additional platform until like, 2020 just before they release P6.

test_account

XP-39C²
Translation: "I really like Sony and I want my Sony-exclusives to stay exclusive !"

There is literally no sound reason why SMT V and Persona 5 shouldn't be both on Switch and PS4.
He said that it made more sense to make Persona 5 FES than Persona 5 Portable, not that P5FES would be exclusive to PS4.

duckroll

Switch has a user base while PS4P does not :p

That's what they said about the Vita. Atlus was willing to downgrade P3 for PSP, but yet they picked Vita over 3DS for P4G. With Aniplex being a huge supporter of the Persona franchise, it's not surprising.

NotLiquid

That's what they said about the Vita. Atlus was willing to downgrade P3 for PSP, but yet they picked Vita over 3DS for P4G. With Aniplex being a huge supporter of the Persona franchise, it's not surprising.

It's probably a lot easier for them to port a PS2 title the size of Persona 4 to a Vita because there was very little necessitating a downgrade this time around.

Having said that the aforementioned implication that P5 doesn't need a port because P3P and P4G were merely stopgaps in lieu of P5 not making it on PS3 is some massive mental gymnastics, especially when the former came out only a year after the original P4. The only reason they need to port the game is if they want money, and considering how much they milked the P4 brand I ain't putting it passed them to do the exact same here - especially if Switch remains a sales juggernaut.

duckroll

Having said that the aforementioned implication that P5 doesn't need a port because P3P and P4G were merely stopgaps in lieu of P5 not making it on PS3 is some massive mental gymnastics, especially when the former came out only a year after the original P4. The only reason they need to port the game is if they want money, and considering how much they milked the P4 brand I ain't putting it passed them to do the exact same here - especially if Switch remains a sales juggernaut.

That's the part that makes no sense to me and he still hasn't come back to explain it!

Catherine wasn't even developed to test any engine. It was made on Gamebryo because Hashino really wanted to do something different before making P5. P3P was made because they wanted to. P4G was made presumably to maximize promotional benefit from the P4 anime before that. None of it had to do with P5!

L~A

Apologies for missing what you mean by this but what is the "Rank (total)"? Is it number of days charted? Weeks it charted? The average? I am trying to make sense of what I am looking at there.

Edit: Additionally, FFXV was in the top 20 for more than eight weeks... Thirteen weeks by my count, actually.

Edit 2: The more I look at it the less sense I can make of it. Someone please explain.

Rank (total) is a redundant column, with the total of ranks (a game that charted 3 weeks at #2, #7, and #15 would have 24 as total).

And the charts are only for the current year. Not that many games chart outside their release year anyway (but I'll try to see if I can't come up with a LTD chart, somehow).

Debut trailer for One Piece Unlimited World Red Deluxe Edition:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/380/G038046/20170515054/

Looks pretty good (it's Switch version btw, as seen with the button prompts).

Luigiv

When Playstation 4 Portable gets announced at E3 we'll have our portable P5. :D
I know you jest, but I'd just like to remind everyone that a portable PS4 is not physically possible any time in the near future. If it were the PS4 Slim would not be the 2kg, 70W slab that it is.

Top Bottom