• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2017 (May 01 - May 07)

Passose

Banned
Out of curiosity, has atlus ever shown interest in mobile. I have been playing a lot of fire emblem heroes and I feel something like that would work well for persona/smt characters.
a pokemon styles mobile game would be good, paying to roll demons combined with the fusing system, atlus would have tons of money by doing that

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I really doubt it exists, however if it does, I think it is more likely to bolster Switch software development. They likely would not be too different in architecture, and it would be just as easy to support all 3 platforms.

I really doubt any dev that isnt already interested in Switch would jump on board because of a Vita successor - the architecture isnt that relevant anymore. Switch is already quite close to mobile/smartphone SoC that everyone and their mom is used to, also most developers use middleware Engines like UE4/Unity for their games.

Vena

Given the handling of PSVR, particularly its availability and shipments, and how quickly that dried up after launch with only now/finally the next piece of relevant software hitting after months (4 months!) since RE7, I can't imagine how any consumer would have confidence in yet another piece of hardware from Sony that isn't the PS4 or runs parallel to it.

PSVR isn't even a stand-alone hardware, its an extension of their major success platform, and look at where it stands. Another Vita/PSP launch may as well be straight into a trash can in terms of their support portfolio, on top of the, effectively, non-existent internal studios left to work on any such projects. The only reason it would have to exist would be in order to have a peg on which to stand in order to not completely lose/relinquish exclusivity to Japanese software by launching a domestically focused product. But then, why would someone buy such an ill-conceived item?

Moreover, they've transitioned almost all/all of their IP to PS4.

These rumors exist in lieu of reality/common sense, not in understanding it. Sorry, just wanted to put those thoughts into a proper, written form.

Orbit_shadow

Neo Member
That new vita rumour is referring to a new "Sony gaming system" launch during the E3 Period in China. (Which is actually happening)

Probably... Is just the ps4 pro :p. Hasn't released there yet.

BriBri

Tobidasu! Nyanko Daisensou (The Battle Cats POP!) has sold over 500,000 copies on the Japanese 3DS eShop and has overtaken Monster Hunter 4 in LTD (digital) sales.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So for the #s tomorrow are we expecting the "everything is dead except X (now Switch)" meme to come back for about a month?

I thought MH5 was supposed to be released for the ps4 exclusively

That's the innovation behind the PS Trinity 4K. You can play all your home console games at home or on the go and experience the beauty of 4K
rumble
in the palm of your hands. You just have to switch the blu-ray disc from the PS4 to the Trinity's integrated blu-ray player.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Out of curiosity, has atlus ever shown interest in mobile. I have been playing a lot of fire emblem heroes and I feel something like that would work well for persona/smt characters.

Afaik no, Atlus is weirdly conservative when it comes to expanding their business for some reason. Or they're just plain lazy I don't know.

So, with Atlus, I wouldn't necessarily read into their last couple releases as 100% indicative of their future.

When Sega bought them, they announced rather ambitious plans for their future including more platforms, more digital, more mobile, more pachinko, more multimedia, more IPs, and just generally more in general.

However, the immediate plan was just to flood them with cash and new staff to help them ship their current games. Their previous owners were going bankrupt, and this was putting a huge strain on the studio and their ability to do things.

The first two projects I would really view as "Sega era Atlus" from concept to release would be the new SMT game, and the new IP by Hashino's new studio.

We're still a bit early with those projects though to really glean a lot.

The way Japan handles pre-orders was always kind of odd to me. Usually with Western publishers, you can start pre-ordering a major title as soon as any meaningful information is out about it, and often even before that.

I had The Last Guardian fully paid off 5 years before launch!

duckroll

Atlus is absolutely interested in mobile, but I think that it's important to recognize how such initiatives work in a practical sense. When a traditional developer of packaged software explores mobile possibilities, they either experiment with small scale stuff internally, or they look for partners to do licensed released or collaborations. The markets are so different that you can't really just decide to make a mobile hit out of nowhere when your experience is in making 40-60 dollar games.

As such over the years we have seen Atlus release underwhelming mobile stuff which are mostly ports of old games and throwaway tie-ins. I don't think they really had much incentive under Index because of cash flow limitations. Index didn't really strike me as a very generous or adventurous owner. Even when we ignore the fraud and bankruptcy... lol.

Sega has a much better pipeline for mobile synergy, but I also wouldn't say that they are particularly strong in leveraging their traditional game IPs and brands into successful mobile offerings. If Atlus were to break into mobile in a significant way, it would probably be through a strong partnership like how Falcom does it. Even then, the results are kinda mixed.

Judging from their annual surveys, they are 100% interested in the opportunity, but it is easier said than done.

Ōkami

20170517-minecraft-05.jpg
Is this the final push for Vita, or is it the limited rerelease of an already limited bundle?

Its the latter

Winning Eleven 2018 out on Sep 14, apparently its PS3/PS4 in Japan.

Passose

Banned
That's the innovation behind the PS Trinity 4K. You can play all your home console games at home or on the go and experience the beauty of 4K
rumble
in the palm of your hands. You just have to switch the blu-ray disc from the PS4 to the Trinity's integrated blu-ray player.
also introducing the 4k smell for the Ps Trinity 4k, you can now smell the breath of the monsters, flowers, dungs,etc in monster hunter 5, exclusively for the ps4

Passose

Banned
Ōkami;237088305 said:
Is this the final push for Vita, or is it the limited rerelease of an already limited bundle?

Its the latter

where can I buy that? Looks pretty neat tbh

watershed

Banned
It's still weird to me that Mario Maker 3ds continues to sell well. I know there are a ton of people who own a 3ds and not a WiiU but I didn't expect the game to do well at all.

casiopao

It's still weird to me that Mario Maker 3ds continues to sell well. I know there are a ton of people who own a 3ds and not a WiiU but I didn't expect the game to do well at all.

I am quite confused on why it is strange here.Mario Maker is huge. But it is terribly limited by Wii U. Now it is released on 3DS after getting so much advertising by youtubers and ads by Nintendo.

It is almost certain to do well.

Ōkami;237088305 said:

Its the latter

Still no PES for Switch huh. Kinda strange.

watershed

Banned
I am quite confused on why it is strange here.Mario Maker is huge. But it is terribly limited by Wii U. Now it is released on 3DS after getting so much advertising by youtubers and ads by Nintendo.

The no online is a dealbreaker for me personally and seems to remove the best feature of the game. I would have thought it would turn a lot of people off the 3ds version. I'm sure it is still fun to play, but the longevity is totally shot.

casiopao

The no online is a dealbreaker for me personally and seems to remove the best feature of the game. I would have thought it would turn a lot of people off the 3ds version. I'm sure it is still fun to play, but the longevity is totally shot.

This is japan. Where local play is still much more prefered. So it had zero if not miniscule dealbreaker problem there.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

I suppose that it's a mix of development being far too along (it comes out in the first half of September after all, and Switch's release was at the beginning of March), not enough resources dedicated to allow another version being suddenly commissioned. If sales keep on delivering, I'm expecting the next year's version to come.

Seeing PES mentioned reminds me of how much the brand collapsed in the past few years in Japan, after its collapse in the West. So much that PES and FIFA were not that far, sales-wise, last year (Famitsu via Gamedatalibrary)

PS4 Winning Eleven 2017 49.690 124.189 Konami 9/15/2016
PS3 Winning Eleven 2017 27.674 51.342 Konami 9/15/2016

PS3 FIFA 17 12.343 17.525 Electronic Arts 9/29/2016
PS4 FIFA 17 52.544 96.748 Electronic Arts 9/29/2016

EDIT: Small Amazon report for One Piece: UWR Deluxe Edition - Switch > PS4 in terms of preorders as of now, but the Switch version peaked at around 210th, so...yep, people don't care that much for the game (to put it gently).

L~A

The previous one was only available from Sony Store, but this one looks like a retail release? It's coming out on July 27 and costs 27,700yen (not including tax).

"I-It's not like there's anything releasing in two days please buy our console kthxxbb"

How's that strange? Konami waited until PES 2015 to release the game on PS4/XB1, and those were platforms that were always going to get the game (granted they switched engine, but still). And let's not forget it wasn't until 2016 that they put Power Pro on 3DS.

Even if PES somehow ends up on Switch by some sort of miracle, it certainly isn't going to be during the first year.

L~A

Some Switch sales from the US:

- +280 000 units (best-selling hardware)
- Switch + 3DS = over half of Hardware sales
- MK8D sold 460k (best-seller) at retail, and 550k with digital (so 90k digital), in 2 days
- Zelda BOTW was 3rd best-seller
- strong sales for 1-2-Switch and Snipperclips

Also, 68k for the 3DS in April.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-News-Nintendo-Switch-Best-Selling-Video-Game

So looks like they shipped a similar amount of units in US / Japan. Famitsu has 234k for the Switch in April. Actually surprised it's so close, was expecting more shipments to the US than that. Then again, it's not like they could ship less than they did in Japan, would've been pretty bad.

3DS sales collapsed in US.

Seems like people in the US view the Switch as a direct successor to the 3DS but that's not the case in Japan (at least yet)?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
People often associate Nintendo's shortages with business strategy, but I honestly think they just have some of the worst supply chain management in the industry.

Zedark

People often associate Nintendo's shortages with business strategy, but I honestly think they just have some of the worst supply chain management in the industry.

I also don't believe any analyst considers the idea of Nintendo applying artifical scarcity for even a second (at least those I follow on twitter don't). Nintendo have much more to gain from gathering a large user base quick than from making Switch an "elusive" product.

KtSlime

- MK8D sold 460k (best-seller) at retail, and 550k with digital (so 90k digital), in 2 days

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-News-Nintendo-Switch-Best-Selling-Video-Game

So looks like they shipped a similar amount of units in US / Japan. Famitsu has 234k for the Switch in April. Actually surprised it's so close, was expecting more shipments to the US than that. Then again, it's not like they could ship less than they did in Japan, would've been pretty bad.

This is just US and not all of America right? 280k is far fewer than I thought they would send, I was almost sure they would have sent twice what they did to Japan.

Passose

Banned

pathetic-skinner.jpg

jonno394

Seems like people in the US view the Switch as a direct successor to the 3DS but that's not the case in Japan (at least yet)?

What are you basing this on? Switch sales dropped so much from month 1 due to stock issues, it doesn't mean there's no demand or that the device is collapsing as people are still struggling to buy them.

Alrus

This is quickly getting even more tired than that dude who kept posting the Kotaku slowpoke "Nintendo is doomed" image every media create thread back in the days.

What are you basing this on? Switch sales dropped so much from month 1 due to stock issues, it doesn't mean there's no demand or that the device is collapsing as people are still struggling to buy them.

He's talking about the 3DS with the collapse.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is just US and not all of America right? 280k is far fewer than I thought they would send, I was almost sure they would have sent twice what they did to Japan.
Canada is 10% of the US market, and I'm not sure Nintendo has a meaningful presence in any Latin American country.

jonno394

He's talking about the 3DS with the collapse.

Yes, and if you read the whole statement, is he not saying that the collapse in sales on Switch Month 1-month 2 shows that USA customers view it as a successor to 3DS, hence why it has a similar downward trend.

(the downward trend is *most likely* due to supply)

KtSlime

Canada is 10% of the US market, and I'm not sure Nintendo has a meaningful presence in any Latin American country.

Oh yeah, some times I completely forget Canada has fewer people than Tokyo. So maybe 300k total? Wonder if we can eventually get a clear view of how many they make a month.

Vena

The 3DS was not supply constrained in the US in its second month, the Switch is...

...What is the basis of your nonsensical conclusion?

Alrus

Yes, and if you read the whole statement, is he not saying that the collapse in sales on Switch Month 1-month 2 shows that USA customers view it as a successor to 3DS, hence why it has a similar downward trend.

Oh I misread it. Thought he was talking about current 3DS sales collapsing due to the Switch releasing.

Top Bottom