• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2017 (May 01 - May 07)

MTC100

Banned
This is what, Switch week 10? At week 10 Twilight Princess (Wii)'s total was up to 2.7x its first week, on its way to an eventual 3.8x. Looks like right now Switch BOTW is about 2.4x its first week.

However, week 10 was TP's final week over 10K.

Wow, TP sold horribly then, even as a launch title, I thought it might have done quite well as the Wii version has sold around 7m worldwide, looks like Japan didn't contribute much to the sales though.

MTC100

Banned
I'm surprised Nintendo didn't bump the shipment up to 75k or so for this week. I guess they're saving up for ARMS and Splatoon 2.

I don't think they can. They're already shipping around 200-250k units a month to Japan, maybe they are hoarding ~20k units like we've seen with Mario Kart but that's about it, the other territories have high demand for the Switch as well.

As long as the system keeps selling for 450 Euro or 400 Dollar over at ebay I don't see them shipping less to those territories to increase the user base in Japan more quickly.

zeromcd73

Switch sold out in 15 minutes today on Nintendo's store. Next shipment will be on the 18th.

Edit: Yokai Watch franchise continues to fall
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170510-00000064-zdn_mkt-ind

The YW franchise made 10.4bil yen this past year. A big drop compared to the previous financial year where the franchise was worth 32.9bil, and a significant dropped compared to the franchise's peak of 55.2bil in the 2014 financial year. The current fiscal year output for the franchise is predicted to be another significant drop to 6.30bil yen.

Jacobson

Switch sold out in 15 minutes today on Nintendo's store. Next shipment will be on the 18th.

Edit: Yokai Watch franchise continues to fall
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170510-00000064-zdn_mkt-ind

The YW franchise made 1.04bil yen this past year. A big drop compared to the previous financial year where the franchise was worth 3.29bil, and a significant dropped compared to the franchises peak of 5.52bil in the 2014 financial year. The current fiscal year output for the franchise is predicted to be another significant drop to 630mil.

jesus, the switch is still sold out in japan and in the US?

as for YW, i'm not surprised. they pumped out a lot of games over a short period hoping they would become the next pokemon.

jonno394

as for YW, i'm not surprised. they pumped out a lot of games over a short period hoping they would become the next pokemon.

It's really amazing how Pokémon has such longevity compared to other things that have come and gone over time. With yokai Watch was it a case of too many games too soon as per Level 5s norm?

sphinx

the piano man
jesus, the switch is still sold out in japan and in the US?.

what do you guys is nintendo's philosophy regarding stock?

on the one hand, I know ramping up production takes a while so maybe that's why we don't see a reaction to the demand of the switch, ("artifical scarcity" is a stupid theory)

on the other hand, I firmly believe that after WiiU's catastrophe, nintendo's policy regarding stock is (and will remain over the years) "not one fucking unit above demand, if a store needs 10, we ship 9, we don't mind losing in the long run"

nintendo's own sales predictions are VERY conservative and don't seem to reflect production for the demand we are seeing.

MTC100

Banned

and in Europe too, Scalpers still sell the system for 400-450 Euro here(normal price is 329,-)

http://offer.ebay.at/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=182546760870&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2564

The price is going down slightly though, seems like most insane people that want to shell out 100 Euro premium have a system already and the others are waiting for restocks. -also look at all those new ebay accounts with 0 ratings, they just made the account so they could buy the Switch...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Can't link from here, but Twitter user's Blackkite has posted a slide for Namco Bandai plans for the just-started new FY. On the console side, it's made of

- Release Major WW titles (Tekken 7, AC7)
- foreign IP games
- DBXV2, Tales of and Taiko for Switch

While we already knew about the Switch games (and just today we had Unlimited World Red's announcement), the fact they were all mentioned while discussing the FY plans should mean that they could all be released by March 31st, 2018.

EDIT: Here's the source, page 11 of BN Presentation

http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/ir/library/pdf/presentation/20170510_Presentation.pdf

Zedark

Can't link from here, but Twitter user's Blackkite has posted a slide for Namco Bandai plans for the just-started new FY. On the console side, it's made of

- foreign IP games

While we already knew about the Switch games (and just today we had Unlimited World Red's announcement), the fact they were all mentioned while discussing the FY plans should mean that they could all be released by March 31st, 2018.
Nice, new Tales by march 2018 is awesome (although whe west might not get in that time frame)!

Edit: Alright, maybe not "new" Tales, but Tales is nice regardless (except if it's Xillia, that'd be one hell of a disappointment)!

Passose

Banned
wait, so what's the new Tales Switch game? A new game or just a port?

Edit:pretty sure I'll buy the Taiko game lol,I'm a big fan of the franchise

and in Europe too, Scalpers still sell the system for 400-450 Euro here(normal price is 329,-)

http://offer.ebay.at/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=182546760870&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2564

The price is going down slightly though, seems like most insane people that want to shell out 100 Euro premium have a system already and the others are waiting for restocks. -also look at all those new ebay accounts with 0 ratings, they just made the account so they could buy the Switch...

In Europe it really depends on country. In smaller and traditionally weaker markets for Nintendo like Nordics Switch has been available pretty much since launch day.

jonno394

- foreign IP games

Oooh, Unlimited World Red for Switch and PS4, nice.

*shrug* I'll happily take remakes of Tales games on Switch.

I just hope it's not Zestiria or Berseria. I am in no rush to play those games again any time soon.

L~A

- foreign IP games

Page 11: http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/ir/library/pdf/presentation/20170510_Presentation.pdf

Taiko is definitely releasing this year, in November if past console releases are anything to go by.

Nice, new Tales by march 2018 is awesome (although whe west might not get in that time frame)!

Nothing is said about a "new" Tales game, they just say "Tales of series". Most definitely getting announcement(s) at the Tales of Festival next month.

Honestly, my money is on at least Tales of Symphonia HD to capitalise on nostalgia.

Kanann

C_ijK6IWsAEe_zZ.jpg

DQX next expansion gonna drop this winter, and I wanna see how sales are between PS4, Switch, and WiiU version.

20./16. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.30} (¥4.104) - 1.820 / 105.717 <80-100%> (-13%)
21./27. [WII] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.30} (¥4.104) - 1.726 / 91.422 <80-100%> (+6%)

^Last record

If it was Xillia or Berseria wouldn't they have said so already?

(Betting it's a Tales of Vs port)

They seem to be done with Tales spinoffs this gen. No Radiant Mythology since PSP; Tales of the World stopped after that crappy 3DS game sold kinda ehh. Tales of Heroes didn't do so hot either.

I also wouldn't see it being a Vs. port just because that's like 10 years old, might as well release a new fighter with a new roster.

Alrus

They seem to be done with Tales spinoffs this gen. No Radiant Mythology since PSP; Tales of the World stopped after that crappy 3DS game sold kinda ehh. Tales of Heroes didn't do so hot either.

I also wouldn't see it being a Vs. port just because that's like 10 years old, might as well release a new fighter with a new roster.

I was joking (since Oregano was betting on Phantasia, I picked something even more ridiculous) haha.

I just don't think it's something as obvious as a Berseria/Xillia/Zestiria port because if it was I don't see the need to be secretive about it when they announced Tales was coming to the Switch.

Scrawnton

It's really amazing how Pokémon has such longevity compared to other things that have come and gone over time. With yokai Watch was it a case of too many games too soon as per Level 5s norm?
I'd say yes. Too many games too soon and not enough change to justify a sequel which resulted in the games feeling too samey.

I'd much rather see a hybrid PS5 than just a PS4 with better PC components. I don't even see a reason to buy a PS4 Pro at this point.
I'll take a quick and dirty port of Symphonia collection while we wait for what's next in the series.

Kanann

Mainline Tales, but multi platform PS4/Steam/Switch?

I don't really miss spin off series, they're often cheap (not price) and boring as f**k.

Scrawnton

I don't really miss spin off series, they're often cheap (not price) and boring as f**k.
Hopefully the series returns to the style in which Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia were. I don't care much for the new world design approach. It makes it feel cheap. I don't like how most JRPG franchises collectively ditched the overworld and set camera angle design.

Sandfox

I don't see us getting a new mainline title announced at Tales of Festival this year. It's too soon unless they want to make a third game in the ToZ style and we probably would've gotten some sort of indicator by now like we usually do when a brand new Tales game is coming.

2017 is the 20th anniversary of Destiny and 2018 is the 10th anniversary of Vesperia, so I would hope we get one of them personally.

Passose

Banned
I don't see us getting a new mainline title announced at Tales of Festival this year. It's too soon unless they want to make a third game in the ToZ style and we probably would've gotten some sort of indicator by now like we usually do when a brand new Tales game is coming.
I'd buy that for sure

zeromcd73

Interview with the Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth producer:
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201705/11131937.html

Talks began for a new Digimon Story title in April of 2016.

There were talks of making it from scratch exclusive for PS4, but because of how much longer development would take to develop and the fact that this year is the 20th anniversary they wanted something to release this year to excite Digimon fans. So they decided to expand on Cyber Sleuth. They also said it didn't feel right for Vita owners suddenly making it a PS4 exclusive so they consider this a title to help move the digimon fans over and recommend those that played the original on Vita to experience this title on the big screen with PS4.

and recommend those that played the original on Vita to experience this title on the big screen with PS4.

I wonder if they'll give it a Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization-esque framerate to ensure Vita buyers move over to PS4.

(Except that plan didn't really work).

Principate

Saint Titanfall

There were talks of making it from scratch exclusive for PS4, but because of how much longer development would take to develop and the fact that this year is the 20th anniversary they wanted something to release this year to excite Digimon fans. So they decided to expand on Cyber Sleuth. They also said it didn't feel right for Vita owners suddenly making it a PS4 exclusive so they consider this a title to help move the digimon fans over and recommend those that played the original on Vita to experience this title on the big screen with PS4.

Sounds like pretty much all major Vita support is moving onto the PS4 as quickly as possible outside of specific exceptions. Makes sense

Oregano

Huh, So I guess Digimon is going the PS4 exclusive route then in the future. Wonder if they will increase production values accordingly.

L~A

inb4 producer warns against buying the PSV version two weeks before release :p

Alrus

What a sound decision. I'm sure this will totally pay off in the future.

Huh, So I guess Digimon is going the PS4 exclusive route then in the future. Wonder if they will increase production values accordingly.

If they want to make even less money from it, sure.

Vena

[PSV] Digimon World: Next Order 2016 Bandai-Namco 64,218 / 74,490

[PS4] Digimon World: Next Order 2017 Bandai-Namco 5.930 / NEW

Not much. Cyber Sleuth was 150k on Vita alone.

I'd sooner expect the producer to just ask them to buy the game, period. :p

Vena

I heard that Next Order is kinda panned by japanese gamer fans right? They said it is soo cheap.T_T

Yes, it was a cheap game and looked like hot garbage on the PSV... where most of the fans were/are/were before they said "ya no".

Hence L~A's little joke.

Moving audiences from PSV to PS4 has proven to be an unmitigated success. So successful. Greatest success. The biggest success.

Eolz

Bring DQX to the West already ;_;
Namco's plan for this FY sounds pretty good, although just Tekken and Ace Combat as their top titles might be a bit weak. Has a new Tales of been teased? If so, I'd think it'd be the one on Switch (and other platforms), not necessarily a remake that can happen anytime.

cheesekao

I'm not sure why Next Order was even a thing. Cyber Sleuth had such great reception and they just squandered whatever goodwill they gained from it.

Oregano

What a sound decision. I'm sure this will totally pay off in the future.

If they want to make even less money from it, sure.

The games seem to do really well in Europe but it remains to be seen whether that's enough to cover a higher budget console game.

Top Bottom