• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2012 (Jan 09 - Jan 15)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think Revelations selling extremely well will have more impact on console style action games targeted at an adult audience being made for the 3DS, rather than just "more Resident Evil on the 3DS". Based on the gaming tastes of Japanese gamers throughout this generation, I don't expect Revelations to be able to pull in 500k and over. If it does though, it might convince other developers to put more games of this sort on the 3DS in the future.

I agree with you about the possible consequences of good sales results for revelations.
Especially if it will be able to sell decently also western side.
I think for example that Capcom could bring on 3ds some "lost planet" iterations, or, following the good result of Samurai Warriors (especially if also Dinasty will sell well) an iteration of Basara for example.

In my opinion a reliable expectation in terms of sales in Japan for Revelation is higher than Wii Chronicles and Wii RE4 porting, lower than RE5 main entries. Unfortunately the gap in quite big so I'm not too confident about a firm prediction, but for sure I see it as more interesting in terms of perception compared to Chronicles onrail spinoffs, but less compared to the main entries especially because of one reason:

this is the first "real" Resi game studied for a portable system. I know that Japan is really portable-oriented but not for every single brand/genre (for example Tales of). So let's say that Revelations will be a "test" for "adolescent/adult market" on 3ds (after the good signs of Samurai, Monster Hunter, Kagura. Street Fighter...) but also for the "portable side" of the entire brand.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I agree with you about the possible consequences of good sales results for revelations.

Revelations is the nest step at the efforts of moving console franchises to portables with the target to maintain its sales to the highest degree. The problem was and remains west. Except for Nintendo no other company has managed to achieve this. PSP had some serious efforts and while the results were great in Japan everywhere else not so much with the lack of demand for the games on the system after the first years.

New system this time, that has recovered after a bad start but I wouldn't hold my breath for spectacular sales for these games outside Japan.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet Daily Preorder Chart

Updated: Jan 23, 2012 (Mon) 08:00
Ranking is closed at January 22, 2012

[PS3] Armored Core 5 - 292Pt
[3DS] Resident Evil Revelations - 137pt
[PS3] Musou One Piece (Limited Edition) - 126pt
[PS3] OG Super Robot Taisen 2 - 105pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIIIヴェルサス - 100Pt
[PSV] Tales of Innocence R - 66pt
[PSP] Tales of Heroes Limited Edition Premium Twin BOX Brave - 64pt
[PSP] I pretend Limited quantities Ta ぽ little friend "BOX very unfortunate girl × × game = shame" - 62pt
[PS3] Binary Domain - 52pt
[PSP] BOX ☆ limitation agreement portable Madoka Magika Maho Shojo (Full, Limited Edition) - 50pt
[Xbox360] Armored Core: five - 42Pt
[3DS] NEW Love Plus - 38pt
[3DS] Puchipuku pack and Future Stars Project mirai Hatsune Miku - 31pt
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid Rising - 30pt
[PSP] Shining Blade - 27pt
[PS3] TREASURE BOX One Piece Warriors - 26pt
[PS3] Generation Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm NARUTO - 24pt
[PS3] Soul Calibur V - 24pt
[3DS] Land of Harvest Moon begins - 21pt
[PSV] Ragnarok Odyssey - 21pt

[PS3] Armored Core V - 294pt
[PS3] Armored Core: For Answer - 105pt

[3DS] Resident Evil: Revelations - 137pt
[PS3] Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition - 160pt
[3DS] Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D - 44pt
[PS3] Resident Evil Revival Selection - 79pt

[PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors - 152pt
[PS3] Fist of the North Star Musou - 109pt
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7 - 46pt

[PSV] Tales of Innocence R - 66pt
[NDS] Tales of Innocence - 163pt
[3DS] Tales of the Abyss - 129pt

[3DS] New Love Plus - 38pt
[NDS] Love Plus + - 38pt

[PS3] Soul Calibur V - 24pt
[PS3] Soul Calibur IV - 53pt

And now the real fun

Comgnet Weekly Sales Chart

Updated: Jan 23, 2012 (Mon) 08:00
Index aggregation period: 22 January 2012 ~ January 16, 2012

[3DS] Monster 3G (Limited Edition) - 96pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 81pt
[3DS] Legacy of Emperor Napoleon R Rhythm Thief - 58pt
[3DS] 3D Super Mario Land - 51pt
[Xbox360] sword fight Kagura, Z ~ ~ Sister - 36pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 34pt
[3DS] Beyond the Labyrinth - 34pt
[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd PSP the Best - 33pt
[PS3] OROCHI 2 Warriors (Limited Edition) - 32pt
[PSP] I & II Machine God tier Super Robot Taisen OG Saga - 26pt
[Wii] GO VACATION (Go Travel) - 21pt
[PSP] Heroes Fantasia - 21pt
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven GO Dark - 21pt
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven GO Shine - 20pt
[Wii] JUST DANCE Wii (Just Dance Wii) - 15pt
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 - 15pt
[PSP] Heroes Fantasia Limited Edition "Limited Edition" - 15pt
[PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 15pt
[PSP] Boost Cardboard Senki - 14pt
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 - 14pt

Last week

[PSP] I & II Machine God tier Super Robot Taisen OG Saga - 180pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 132pt
[3DS] Monster 3G (Limited Edition) - 121pt
[3DS] 3D Super Mario Land - 79pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 67pt
[PS3] OROCHI 2 Warriors (Limited Edition) - 60pt
[PSP] II REVELATION OF EVIL GOD God-tier machines Super Robot Taisen OG Saga - 52pt
[Wii] JUST DANCE Wii (Just Dance Wii) - 45pt
[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd PSP the Best - 36pt
[3DS] ~ ~ Psychic Handbook Iteru 憑 camera - 36pt
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven GO Dark - 29pt
[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (dub version) - 27pt
[PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker PSP the Best - 26pt
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven GO Shine - 26pt
[Wii] Family fishing is your computer Bundle - 25pt
[Wii] Wii Bundle Tatakon definitive Taiko no Tatsujin - 24pt
[Wii] GO VACATION (Go Travel) - 23pt
[Wii] Kirby of the Stars Wii - 21pt
[PSP] Frontier Gate - 20pt
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam VS Extreme - 20pt

Riposte

Wow. AC5 on 360 is a bit surprising.

AC5 doesn't support cross-region play does it? I should just import it...

Alrus

I have a bad feeling about Revelations. I think the MK7-ML-MH3G combo will hold it back

I don't really think there that much audience overlap between Resident Evil and Mario games...

Edit: I mean, if RE:R underperform, it'll be because RE fans don't really want to play those games on a handheld, not because of other big release.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Revelations is the nest step at the efforts of moving console franchises to portables with the target to maintain its sales to the highest degree. The problem was and remains west. Except for Nintendo no other company has managed to achieve this. PSP had some serious efforts and while the results were great in Japan everywhere else not so much with the lack of demand for the games on the system after the first years.

New system this time, that has recovered after a bad start but I wouldn't hold my breath for spectacular sales for these games outside Japan.

I agree with you about the western side of this "quest". Probably just Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia did well outside Japan, considering the struggle of PSP software over Europe and US at that time.
Only big Nintendo releases (plus some other "surprises" as Nintendogs, Brain Training and Layton for example) did well in the West.

Talking about Japan, I agree with you about this "test" that Capcom is doing to transate the success of RE brand also into the portable console for Japan market. THe main problem in my opinion is that probably RE is one of the few brand that testify to be able to properly perfom in Japan in the home console market, notwithstanding the decline of PS3 and Wii compared to PS2 (due to the success of DS and PSP).

So: could RE be the "second" brand that will show how also japanese people prefer to play some franchise on home console rather than portable devices (after Tales Of)?

We will discover it soon.

Personally, I hope to see it doing well (around 350LTD) because I'm loving the "horror" taste that Capcom is triyng to put in it :)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Comgnet Daily Preorder Chart
Last week

Looking at Comgnet (that in my opinion are more a curiosity than a real prediction help), it seems that MHTri G could confirm "legs" even better than MK and, especially, MarioLand.
Also Inazuma could confirm to be able to be a long seller, as the previous entries in the brand.

About Resident, my feelings could be right: a portable "semi-main" entry will not have the same impact of a home "main" entry (and it could be also normal, due to the fact that it's not even a numbered episode), but could still be a good result.

About One Piece, it will destroy every Mosou game of this generation, and also in this case it could be normal, if we look at the Hokuto results (One piece in this moment is setting sales record in the manga market, Hokuto is an old franchise)

Road

PSN Downloads.

[PSP] Steins;Gate {DL} (Kadokawa Shoten) {2011-12-21} - 3,000

Includes both the regular edition (3990 yen) and the cheaper sales from the UMD Passport program (1000 yen).

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201201/23008803.html

Also, it has 200 reviews, so from now on we can safely extrapolate all PSN download sales from the amount of reviews * 15.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I have a bad feeling about Revelations. I think the MK7-ML-MH3G combo will hold it back

I don't see how that combo will be the reason if RE opens low.

The general impression that a system seller kills everything else is worse than comgnet extrapolation. Maybe Nintendo shouldn't release Mario Kart and Mario Land at all. I'm sure that would help every other third party game to skyrocket in sales and MH3G would be at 2 million already. Even better no MH3G would mean Inazuma Eleven Go at 1 million.

Kenka

Thanks for the explanation.
The "legs battle" between members of the Trium Vira will be one of the big stories until the end of the Q4/Golden Week.

I don't see how that combo will be the reason if RE opens low.

The general impression that a system seller kills everything else is worse than comgnet extrapolation. Maybe Nintendo shouldn't release Mario Kart and Mario Land at all. I'm sure that would help every other third party game to skyrocket in sales and MH3G would be at 2 million already. Even better no MH3G would mean Inazuma Eleven Go at 1 million.

I can understand if a medium-size game is released the same day of Mario Land, or Monster Hunter, in a quiet period of the year doesn't perform well because of the latter (not always true, btw: Rune Factory sold 130k on DS and it was released the same day of Final Fantasy III, on the same platform -and barely the same userbase-), otherwise I think that if video gamers are interested in that game, they'll buy regardless the line-up.

I agree with you about the western side of this "quest". Probably just Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia did well outside Japan, considering the struggle of PSP software over Europe and US at that time.
Only big Nintendo releases (plus some other "surprises" as Nintendogs, Brain Training and Layton for example) did well in the West.
Not entirely true, Japanese stuff like Sonic, Kingdom Hearts or Layton was still huge in the west on GBA/DS. There were also lower tier successes like Castlevania, Ace Attorney, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, etc. Most of these franchises actually outsold KHBBS and Dissidia in the US.

Orgen

PSN Downloads.

[PSP] Steins;Gate {DL} (Kadokawa Shoten) {2011-12-21} - 3,000

Includes both the regular edition (3990 yen) and the cheaper sales from the UMD Passport program (1000 yen).

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201201/23008803.html

Also, it has 200 reviews, so from now on we can safely extrapolate all PSN download sales from the amount of reviews * 15.

Ay que me lol! How many reviews got Persona 3 then? ;P

Do you think Capcom, Namco, Konami, SE... want to move their big franchises to portables? Or is it more like testing a big IP on a handheld to see how fares? (I know you're not implying the series going portable but I'll expand my thoughts on this subject)

We know RE:R is more an AAA project than a spin-off but even with that I doubt the cost of making the game is more than half the cost of RE5. And I doubt too that Capcom's western expectations for RE:R could compare to RE5 because it's not a fair comparison.

What are this games made for then? I think there could be a lot of reasons (fill the gap between mainline titles, test the waters on a platform...) But they won't ever be AAA titles or a sign that the series are becoming portable. If I had to rank the "importance" of games it'd like that (with RE series as example):

Quick cash-in like ports (ex. Resident Evil DS)
Spin-offs (ex. Dead Aim, RE Chronicles)
¿¿?? (I don't know how to call them - ex. RE: CV, REmake)
AAA games (ex. numbered RE)

For me RE:R would fit in the ¿¿?? category. Capcom (like many other third-parties) knows the place for their AAA efforts: the HD platforms (and multiplatform games to get the max. money possible). We won't see (maybe I'll eat crow here) a handheld Capcom game with the budget, advertising or workforce like Resident Evil 6 is taking. I can't imagine Capcom spending 30$ million or 600 persons in a portable game. Not this gen (maybe a Vita game could get this treatment but I doubt it).

So, what's left? Ports, spin-offs or something more valuable without taking as many resources as an AAA project. I don't know if RE:R was a PSP project or if it has been moneyhated by Nintendo like MH but I have to applaud them for making such an effort this time and ditch quick ports like Resident Evil DS. I know Capcom gets a lot of shit here but I'm sure they're making the right move (banking on a handheld on fire with a good game) so I hope they have realistic expectations and the game can surpass them.

Now, if Capcom expects to sell 5 million or if the game is successful but Capcom doesn't keep the flow going (just like RE4 Wii --> Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles) is just another story.

Just my 2 cents/speculation/opinion here.

Takao

Banned
Hmm, I wonder... when DW: One Piece sells huge numbers how can we say children are not on PS3? One Piece is a family friendly franchise targeted at children... Hmm...

There exist also AAA titles for handheld, which obviously won't cost as AAA on home console because of obvious reasons, but are well advertised and promoted; Revelations approaches a mainline RE in terms in promotion, imo. Btw, Capcom could develop AAA titles of secondary franchises, like Lost Planet or Onimusha on handhelds.

Hmm, I wonder... when DW: One Piece sells huge numbers how can we say children are not on PS3? One Piece is a family friendly franchise targeted at children... Hmm...

100% of OP fans are children?
If One Piece will sell 500k on PS3, can we say that are 500k children?

duckroll

Like I said previously, I do not think we should look at RE:R as a game which represents "RE6" on the 3DS or anything like that. Instead, we should look at it as a survival horror 3D shooter on the 3DS from a major console franchise. If it is successful in Japan, it will show that there is a market for single player driven games for older audiences who like console style games. This in turn could result in more games of that range being developed on the 3DS in future, which will further diversify the range of titles available on the platform.

Like I said previously, I do not think we should look at RE:R as a game which represents "RE6" on the 3DS or anything like that. Instead, we should look at it as a survival horror 3D shooter on the 3DS from a major console franchise. If it is successful in Japan, it will show that there is a market for single player driven games for older audiences who like console style games. This in turn could result in more games of that range being developed on the 3DS in future, which will further diversify the range of titles available on the platform.

Surely it's a better start for the series than Umbrella Chronicles on Wii :D

Orgen

There exist also AAA titles for handheld, which obviously won't cost as AAA on home console because of obvious reasons, but are well advertised and promoted; Revelations approaches a mainline RE in terms in promotion, imo. Btw, Capcom could develop AAA titles of secondary franchises, like Lost Planet or Onimusha on handhelds.

AAA handheld titles well advertised and promoted? Like...?

I don't know how is Capcom advertising RE:R in Japan or US but here (Spain) is nonexistent (and the game is out this Friday).

Right now it seems that Dragon's Dogma and RE6 are taking almost all the resources. But Capcom knows that they can't throw only two new games per year so they outsourced some games (like DmC or Dead Rising 2) and still made a good effort with the remaining people (I don't know Capcom's studio structure but I doubt it's only Dragon's Dogma team, RE6 team and SF team) to put a game like RE:R.

BTW, was there any third-party DS/PSP game that has sold more than 1 million in the US? and Europe? (besides Layton).

duckroll said:

I agree with you about the consequences if RE:R is successful in Japan. But if this happens, do you see Capcom making another survival horror 3D shooter on the 3DS? Seeing what Capcom has made in the past if RE:R is succesful I wouldn't be surprised if the next RE 3DS is an AR spin-off like the Fatal Frame game (or worst yet, Operation Racoon City 2 hunting monsters from Monster Hunter).

The "legs battle" between members of the Trium Vira will be one of the big stories until the end of the Q4/Golden Week.
Ha, that's as good a shorthand as any for them.

So if someone has noted this before I haven't seen it, but it looks like those three games now make up a majority of 3DS lifetime software sales.
Triumvirate

AAA handheld titles well advertised and promoted? Like...?

I don't know how is Capcom advertising RE:R in Japan or US but here (Spain) is nonexistent (and the game is out this Friday).

Right now it seems that Dragon's Dogma and RE6 are taking almost all the resources. But Capcom knows that they can't throw only two new games per year so they outsourced some games (like DmC or Dead Rising 2) and still made a good effort with the remaining people (I don't know Capcom's studio structure but I doubt it's only Dragon's Dogma team, RE6 team and SF team) to put a game like RE:R.

BTW, was there any third-party DS/PSP game that has sold more than 1 million in the US? and Europe? (besides Layton).

If we're talking about Japan, there are a lot of examples (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, etc.); surely, Revelations has been well advertised in the sense that Capcom released constantly new contents, it showed the game in every possible event, and the like.

As for your last question, Scribblenauts, Cooking Mama, Mario&Sonic, MySims and Guiter Hero On Tour definitely sold more than one million in the US; not sure about the million but close to that, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, some LEGO stuffs.
On PSP, the two GTA games, Crisis Core was at 780k in early-2009.

saichi

Where did that come from? Maybe you consider shonen as children?

Orgen

If we're talking about Japan, there are a lot of examples (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, etc.); surely, Revelations has been well advertised in the sense that Capcom released constantly new contents, it showed the game in every possible event, and the like.

As for your last question, Scribblenauts, Cooking Mama, Mario&Sonic, MySims and Guiter Hero On Tour definitely sold more than one million in the US; not sure about the million but close to that, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, some LEGO stuffs.
On PSP, the two GTA games, Crisis Core was at 780k in early-2009.

Yeah, in Japan there are examples. I was talking more like Japan games in western territories (I know we are in a Media Create thread :p).

So besides Cooking Mama and Mario&Sonic, no other Japan games? We know third parties can make successful portable entries of their major IPs in Japan (Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy) but this success doesn't reciprocate in the western territories. We know that releasing the game on a dead platform (in the West) like the PSP didn't help KH, or that there're series that doesn't have a "western appeal" (like MH or DQ), but with RE:R nothing of this applies: RE has worlwide appeal (I'd say more in the West than in Japan) and is in a platform that is selling very well everywhere. If it ends bombing in he west... it's going to be difficult to know why (that's why I was asking how is the advertising of the game because here is nonexistent for now).

Yeah, in Japan there are examples. I was talking more like Japan games in western territories (I know we are in a Media Create thread :p).

So besides Cooking Mama and Mario&Sonic, no other Japan games? We know third parties can make successful portable entries of their major IPs in Japan (Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy) but this success doesn't reciprocate in the western territories. We know that releasing the game on a dead platform (in the West) like the PSP didn't help KH, or that there're series that doesn't have a "western appeal" (like MH or DQ), but with RE:R nothing of this applies: RE has worlwide appeal (I'd say more in the West than in Japan) and is in a platform that is selling very well everywhere. If it ends bombing in he west... it's going to be difficult to know why (that's why I was asking how is the advertising of the game because here is nonexistent for now).

The best advertising will have been the spotpass notifications to download the demo off the eShop imo. I expect it may do better than some people expect. I hope so.

Kenka

For those who are in Japan, is Capcom promotion RER?
Quote from elektroplankton tend to confirm it's pretty big. I don't know for sure if elektro is in Japan though. cvxfreak could enlighten us also I think.

By the way, where is Sp0rsk these days ?

Top Bottom