• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2013 (Jan 07 - Jan 13)

Baaaaaad.

In terms of: After 6 weeks, Wii U is where GCN was at 14.6 weeks (December 20, 2001), where Wii was at 3.7 weeks (December 22, 2006), where 3DS was at 3.7 weeks (March 18, 2011), where PS3 was at 16.6 weeks (March 2, 2007), where PSV was at 26.6 weeks (June 14, 2012), and where X360 was at 146.0 weeks (September 21, 2008).

PS3

X360

Baaaaaad.

In terms of: After 6 weeks, Wii U is where GCN was at 14.6 weeks (December 20, 2001), where Wii was at 3.7 weeks (December 22, 2006), where 3DS was at 3.7 weeks (March 18, 2011), where PS3 was at 16.6 weeks (March 2, 2007), where PSV was at 26.6 weeks (June 14, 2012), and where X360 was at 146.0 weeks (September 21, 2008).

So...

doing Worse than:
Wii: ~2x less
3DS: ~2x less

doing better than:
Gamecube: ~2.5x better
PS3: ~2.75x better
Vita: ~4.5x better
X360: ~a lot better

cloudyy

Why would they want to play exclusively on the gamepad? If you like to play online you're obviously not the audience who prefers local multiplayer or playing on the go. And I don't think anyone plays handhelds for the small screen.
Not monopolising the TV. It has nothing to do whether you prefer local or online multiplayer. And even then, DQX is done so that you can play it completely solo.

EAD Tokyo is a relatively new Nintendo team, and they have been expanding a lot, so yes they had the manpower to make both. Also part of the game was outsourced anyway. I expect a 3D Mario at the end of the year from tokyo

well ps3 did better this week in 2007 so....

By weeks:

PS3 - 11 November 2006 -

1st week - Media Create (Nov 06 - Nov 12) - 42,099?
2nd week - Media Create (Nov 13 - Nov 19) - 123,738
3rd week - Media Create (Nov 20 - Nov 26) - 32,662
4th week - Media Create (Nov 27 - Dec 03) - 31,436
5th week - Media Create (Dec 04 - Dec 10) - 50,171
6th week - Media Create (Dec 11 - Dec 17) - 70,942
7th week - Media Create (Dec 18 - Dec 24) - 76,882
8th week - Media Create (Dec 25 - Dec 31) - 71,727
9th week - Media Create (Jan 01 - Jan 07) - 69,944
10th week - Media Create (Jan 08 - Jan 14) - 48,804

Wii U - 8 December 2012 -

1st week - Media Create (Dec 03 - Dec 09) - 308,142
2nd week - Media Create (Dec 10 - Dec 16) - 126,916
3rd week - Media Create (Dec 17 - Dec 23) - 122,843
4th week - Media Create (Dec 24 - Dec 30) - 69,386
5th week - Media Create (Dec 31 - Jan 06) - 67,083
6th week - Media Create (Jan 07 - Jan 13) - 20,715

By date:

WIU 1st week - Media Create (Dec 03 - Dec 09) - 308,142
PS3 5th week - Media Create (Dec 04 - Dec 10) - 50,171

WIU 2nd week - Media Create (Dec 10 - Dec 16) - 126,916
PS3 6th week - Media Create (Dec 11 - Dec 17) - 70,942

WIU 3rd week - Media Create (Dec 17 - Dec 23) - 122,843
PS3 7th week - Media Create (Dec 18 - Dec 24) - 76,882

WIU 4th week - Media Create (Dec 24 - Dec 30) - 69,386
PS3 8th week - Media Create (Dec 25 - Dec 31) - 71,727

WIU 5th week - Media Create (Dec 31 - Jan 06) - 67,083
PS3 9th week - Media Create (Jan 01 - Jan 07) - 69,944

WIU 6th week - Media Create (Jan 07 - Jan 13) - 20,715
PS3 10th week - Media Create (Jan 08 - Jan 14) - 48,804

Yeah, comparatively it's been a bad week for the Wii U.

wrowa

They will go to the 3DS because companies like to sell software. Technical considerations matter not. The Vita currently in Japan is the same kind of software sales wasteland that the PSP was in North America.

Niche software, especially that Otaku stuff, will always only sell to a pretty specific group of people. In this case, we are talking about a group that is also very tech savvy and is likely to own both a 3DS and a Vita. Releasing otaku-ish stuff on the 3DS won't make much of a difference. It might actually even harm sales, when the target audience likes its high res graphics.

Point in case are games like Time Travellers or Virtues Last Reward, which sold roughly the same on both plattforms, even though there are far more 3DS owners out there.

extralite

Not monopolising the TV. It has nothing to do whether you prefer local or online multiplayer. And even then, DQX is done so that you can play it completely solo.

You said exclusively. Sure the Wii U offers the best of both worlds but playing the game exclusively on the gamepad you'd have to have a preference for handhelds. Which the already DQX buying audience has not.

And it has to do with prefering local multiplayer (and playing on the go, both of which you cannot do with the gamepad btw) because otherwise you wouldn't play DQIX and MH on handhelds. You'd play DQX and MH3 on Wii.

The problem for the WiiU is that they're stuck with the game pad.

Its cost will always be a factor and with the market rejecting it (unlike the waggle on the Wii)' Nintendo is left trying to sell a low end product, when compared to upcoming consoles, with a peripheral that is not a value add in the minds of the consumer.

They might be able to turn things around in Japan but WW, this is a write down waiting to happen.

The casuals didn't flock to the Wii because it had Mario kart. The came because they could controls the kart with waggle.

extralite

Its cost will always be a factor and with the market rejecting it (unlike the waggle on the Wii)' Nintendo is left trying to sell a low end product, when compared to upcoming consoles, with a peripheral that is not a value add in the minds of the consumer.

They might be able to turn things around in Japan but WW, this is a write down waiting to happen.

The casuals didn't flock to the Wii because it had Mario kart. The came because they could controls the kart with waggle.

I don't think the market is rejecting it, it's just not willing to pay extra for it.

I didnt notice the Wii numbers at first, but this week is actually the lowest Wii numbers so far, both regarding Media Create and Famitsu numbers. Not too surprising though, but still something noteworthy.

I wonder if Nintendo will decide to discontinue the Wii by 2014.

wrowa

I think it's too early to say the market is rejecting the game pad. It's just not a gimmick like the Wiimote that sells hardware pretty much on its own. The Wii U needs more than just the Game Pad and that is software. So far, it's really lacking in that regard.

People don't pay 300$ and more only to be able to play a mini game collection, a port of a game they've already played on other platforms or a new Mario game that's pretty much the same game as the one they've already played on the DS, Wii and just recently on the 3DS. It's all a case of "Been there, done that". The Game Pad alone is just not interesting enough without software supporting it.

big_erk

Except the Wii U is not a low end product. It may not have the horsepower of what Sony and Microsoft have coming, but it is hardly low end. It is a product looking for its focus. If Nintendo is able to find that focus like it did with the 3DS, and very early on with the Wii, the U will be just fine. There is a lot of potential in the gamepad, it just hasn't been tapped yet, and the general consensus from the press is that it is an interesting concept that is in need of refinement and that one killer app to show its true potential.

Kitoro

I don't expect the PS4 to sell any better than the Wii U has over there. This isn't so much Nintendo's problem as it is a problem of consoles that aren't budget priced being snubbed in favor of handhelds instead in Japan.

While it presumably adds some cost, I really can't see it being that costly considering the build-quality and components from what I can tell aren't particularly high-end and you can get full tablet PCs for like $80 apparently these days.
Precisely my thoughts. Which is why I really don't see how the refrain of "Nintendo Direct" simply announcing a Mario Kart is going to be some sort of panacea to the underlying issue.

test_account

XP-39C²
I wonder if Nintendo will decide to discontinue the Wii by 2014.
Hard to say. Looking at the japanese numbers, i would say yes, but it is still selling noticeably numbers in the US (and maybe in Europe too). I'm not sure if they will cancel it in just one region (Japan).

~ZIO~

Neo Member
All Nintendo needs is some compelling software. It's funny that with all the software they provided at launch, it wasn't enough to win over folks. I guess multiplatforms just are a no go for Nintendo. But they can't shoulder that burden all by themselves and expect to be competitive. Nintendo can only spread themselves so thin with their assets and provide software that's worth experiencing on their own. They really need some kind of support . . .

I suppose they're going to take the mindset that if they're profitable, they don't care how they compare to the rest of the market. I guess that's one way to take a business. But as it stands, even this is weak for them. A sluggish start, anyway. I think Nintendo will turn it around. They always do, any who.

To turn things around in Japan they need to turn things around in West first.

Looking at Wii vs PS3 situation in Japan - Wii dominated totaly and yet PS3 was getting tons of games.

Why ?

Because put together HD twins had big western userbase which responded well to most traditional genres.

Yamauchi

Banned
Brutal.

As expected, there is nothing to drive Wii U's sales at this point. Average gamers are not going to buy the console just to play NSMBU.

ohlawd

Vita vs Wii U in the upcoming weeks. Get yo tickets errbody.

I better get used to seeing the "new" posters itt from now on huh? >_>

wrowa

To turn things around in Japan they need to turn things around in West first.

Looking at Wii vs PS3 situation in Japan - Wii dominated totaly and yet PS3 was getting tons of games.

Why ?

Because put together HD twins had big western userbase which responded well to most traditional genres.

The big western user base doesn't matter much, when you take into account that US games aren't all that popular in Japan and vice versa. In order to be succesful in Japan you definitely don't need a big success outside of the country, otherwhise the 3DS wouldn't be selling as good as it is.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The "waggle" on the GamePad being much improved from Wii's one (9 axis controls vs 6 axis controls on wiimote), following your logic Mario Kart on Wii U should do very well.

More seriously, I wonder how Mario Kart will use the GamePad. Probably as a wheel, but what about the touchscreen?

zroid

Banned
some awful numbers there. Patient is comatose

needs Smash 4 reveal, like, now

I wonder if Nintendo still thinks it's a good idea to release Smash on 3DS and Wii U simultaneously. Smash might be their one remaining trump card to really bring Japanese consumers in droves to Wii U, and if they can get their fix on 3DS instead, I don't know if they will.

edit: maybe a DQX style StreetPassing app would be a better solution than straight-up cross-play.

fernoca

"Meh" week overall. Wii U numbers are not surpring. Like always; time will tell. Not saying that history will repeat again, but many now declaring the Wii U as dead were doing the same for the 3DS back then. With Nintendo, you just never know...which is what sucks. :p

The "waggle" on the GamePad being much improved from Wii's one (9 axis controls vs 6 axis controls on wiimote), following your logic Mario Kart on Wii U should do very well.

More seriously, I wonder how Mario Kart will use the GamePad. Probably as a wheel, but what about the touchscreen?

Mario Kart pad usage is less of a concern to me, because with a game that depends so vitally on local MP, how integral could it be when many players will be using other controllers?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I wonder if Nintendo still thinks it's a good idea to release Smash on 3DS and Wii U simultaneously. Smash might be their one remaining trump card to really bring Japanese consumers in droves to Wii U, and if they can get their fix on 3DS instead, I don't know if they will.

edit: maybe a DQX style StreetPassing app would be a better solution than straight-up cross-play.

you are right, but the console needs some shock therapy right now, and Smash could make it explode. Or Mario Kart

I don't believe numbers will be so bad next week, but still in the 40k range. Thing needs medicine and fast...

marc^o^

Mario Kart pad usage is less of a concern to me, because with a game that depends so vitally on local MP, how integral could it be when many players will be using other controllers?
With a superior gaming experience while playing online alone, and a classic experience in local multiplayer?

In Mario Kart Wii, it was not that different, as far as framerate was concerned :p

Sorc3r3r

I don't get why N choose not to go on with the wii mote again, they were leading a whole new audience, with a tech they were known as starters and leaders.

They instead ,have gone again on a complex, hard to use(for a new comer) pad, alienating again the people they catched with the wii mote.

Why spent so much money on a new controller when you have ruled the world with the last one?
Why do not keep the immediacy of your controller and push on the performance of the hardaware?

Now they need to cut the price, this thing to me is doomed if does not start to sell well before the M and S new consoles are released.

zroid

Banned

Getting a bit off-topic, but I hope we get some really creative asymmetric gameplay in Mario Kart U. Something which hearkens back to the Double Dash!! school of Mario Kart design, but is even more ambitious.

bomma_man

The no hype policy is cool in an academic way but makes no sense whatsoever in the real world. Twilight Princess presumably put them off it, but the hype surrounding it must've secured sales. Can't wait for the price drop.

Burai

shitonmychest57
DQX launches in March right? That will give Wii U a nice boost.

Or people will just buy it for the Wii they already own.

Am I right in thinking the Wii U version has nothing exclusive above and beyond the Wii version?

Insaid it before, Nintendo just can't support two pieces of hardware at the same time. It went weong with the N64-GBC, GAMECUBE-GBA,WI-DS.
Where one piece of hardware is getting great support, the other is lacking.
With more developmenttime needed per software this becomes more and more apparant.

Nintendo would be unbeatable with only one piece of hardware to support.

extralite

Or people will just buy it for the Wii they already own.

Am I right in thinking the Wii U version has nothing exclusive above and beyond the Wii version?

Graphics, keyboard on the gamepad, keep playing when you have to go to the toilet.

They want to sell it to people who don't own a Wii yet/anymore, I think. Core gamers who forsook the Wii.

I don't get why N choose not to go on with the wii mote again, they were leading a whole new audience, with a tech they were known as starters and leaders.

They instead ,have gone again on a complex, hard to use(for a new comer) pad, alienating again the people they catched with the wii mote.

Why spent so much money on a new controller when you have ruled the world with the last one?
Why do not keep the immediacy of your controller and push on the performance of the hardaware?

Now they need to cut the price, this thing to me is doomed if does not start to sell well before the M and S new consoles are released.
This also, why??
Now we have a console with dozens of different inputs...

marc^o^

Graphics, keyboard on the gamepad, keep playing when you have to go to the toilet.
And NSMBU on the same platform. People are waiting for few more reasons to pick a Wii U and Mario.

What Wii U needs most is games. Then people trying it at a friend's. Then a price drop.

Top Bottom