• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2014 (May 12 - May 18)

prag16

Banned
People weren't confused by Nes --> super nes, by PSOne --> PS2 --> PS3 or by Xbox --> Xbox 360

I believe it was mostly a lack of interest by the gaming public, on a global scale.

Just like the lack of interest from japanese gamers towards the PS4

It's anecdotal, but I saw way more confusion surrounding the Wii U than any other new console, and the marketing (emphasis locked in on gamepad with the console itself getting little/no visibility) probably played some role in that.

That and the price launched at least $50 too high.

Metallix87

Sure they get hyped with new tech even if currently no games are out for it simply due to what they think the future of the device will be. Future support = games, extra power = more spectacular games, can you see how it all comes down to games.

After all, PS4 is a game console.
So, essentially, you agree with me that they got hyped by the tech and future potential, and likely bought some random stuff just to play? Heck, everyone I know who owns a PS4 got one because of the buzz and bought random titles just to play.

Then laugh at them I shall. I only personally know a few people that have PS4s, and none of them are worthy of being laughed at for that particular reason, so I may lack the proper perspective.

Funny thing is they would probably laugh at you if you said you still play Mario. Lets not stoop down to such low levels.

Laughing at someone because they enjoy a different game to you is just sad. I can maybe understand f the game is atrociously bad and well known for it but FIFA is not one of those. In fact none of the big AAA sellers are.

So, essentially, you agree with me that they got hyped by the tech and future potential, and likely bought some random stuff just to play? Heck, everyone I know who owns a PS4 got one because of the buzz and bought random titles just to play.

Stop beating around the bush. I shall repeat till you get it in your head:

Future support = games,

extra power/new tech = more spectacular games,

can you see how it all comes down to games.

Chindogg

Not really a fanboy comment.

Just telling the truth.

It's doing great in the west with very little software but is a near disaster in the east with no software.

I still don't follow how your comment somehow pertains to the problem with PS4 right now. It came off as random drive-by Wii U trolling.

Stop beating around the bush. I shall repeat till you get it in your head:

Future support = games,

extra power/new tech = more spectacular games,

can you see how it all comes down to games.

So it comes down to the promise of games, rather than the games it currently has?

I just don't understand how you are calling the biggest IPs in gaming random stuff .
Games that sell 10 million plus every year is not random stuff .
The game you think going move consoles don't sell anywhere near those number i bet .
People upgrade to play the IPs they love with better gfx . control etc etc .

Metallix87

That still amounts to buying the system on hype, though, regardless of how you slice it. You can claim it's games until you're blue in the face, but those experiences aren't out now, and most won't be out until 2015 / 2016. Hype for the tech and those possible good titles is selling the system and, in turn, resulting in sales of other titles.

RalchAC

People weren't confused by Nes --> super nes, by PSOne --> PS2 --> PS3 or by Xbox --> Xbox 360

I believe it was mostly a lack of interest by the gaming public, on a global scale.

Just like the lack of interest from japanese gamers towards the PS4

NES to Super NES looks like a succesor. The same can be said about PSOne to PS2 to PS3. Xbox to 360 is weirder.

But nothing comes close to Wii to Wii U. Especially when Nintendo has released a whole brand of accesories with Wii as part of their name

Wii Balance Board
Wii MotionPlus
Wii Remote
Wii Speak
Wii Wheel
Wii Zapper

Are some that I can remember. And there is software with that name (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Party). I don't find it weird.

If it was called "Wii 2" or "Super Wii" there won't be as much confusion. As it is now, people could easily think the GamePad is an accesory.

StoopKid

It's doing great in the west with very little software but is a near disaster in the east with no software.

I still don't follow how your comment somehow pertains to the problem with PS4 right now. It came off as random drive-by Wii U trolling.

So it comes down to the promise of games, rather than the games it currently has?

Nah drive by trolling is saying the ps4 sold on hype.
I doesn't come down to promise it has games. The best third party games.

prag16

Banned
Funny thing is they would probably laugh at you if you said you still play Mario. Lets not stoop down to such low levels.

Laughing at someone because they enjoy a different game to you is just sad. I can maybe understand f the game is atrociously bad and well known for it but FIFA is not one of those. In fact none of the big AAA sellers are.

*rolls eyes* I don't literally point and laugh at people who bought new consoles just for a modest visual upgrade and nothing else. I wasn't really serious. No need to white knight for these people (who generally aren't even on gaf), and call me 'sad' as a counter.

That still amounts to buying the system on hype, though, regardless of how you slice it. You can claim it's games until you're blue in the face, but those experiences aren't out now, and most won't be out until 2015 / 2016. Hype for the tech and those possible good titles is selling the system and, in turn, resulting in sales of other titles.

What experiences you mean the same ones they buy every year ???

Metallix87

I just don't understand how you are calling the biggest IPs in gaming random stuff .
Games that sell 10 million plus every year is not random stuff .
The game you think going move consoles don't sell anywhere near those number i bet .
People upgrade to play the IPs they love with better gfx . control etc etc .
I'm not suggesting they don't do huge numbers, I'm just dounting if people bought new hardware specifically to play slightly prettier versions of games they can get on their current hardware.

What experiences you mean the same ones they buy every year ???
The ones that they can't get on the old systems. That will be the big titles they buy every year eventually, but right now, it's not.

StoopKid

I'm not suggesting they don't do huge numbers, I'm just dounting if people bought new hardware specifically to play slightly prettier versions of games they can get on their current hardware.

It's pretty obvious they did , with call of duty being the biggest seller.

Chindogg

Nah drive by trolling is saying the ps4 sold on hype.
I doesn't come down to promise it has games. The best third party games.

How is it not sold on hype when the top selling games on the console are the same games on previous gen consoles, which outsell PS4's numbers astronomically?

PS4 exclusives have sold ok, but nowhere near the numbers that would match hardware sales.

That's not trolling, that's a statement of fact.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Yes because without a proper "roadmap" you just have a giant paperweight once you complete said title you purchased with the console. I mean for example like with the PS4 since its not BC its not like you can go playing PS3 games while you wait. Which with my PS3 I was playing PS2 titles while I waited for something I wanted. hell I still play PS2 titles more than PS3 ones.

But with that playstation now? do think thats what sony is aiming to solve with the service.

Scum

Where's my Advance Wars, NCL?! :<

*rolls eyes* I don't literally point and laugh at people who bought new consoles just for a modest visual upgrade and nothing else. I wasn't really serious. No need to white knight for these people (who generally aren't even on gaf), and call me 'sad' as a counter.

Prag, pls. Go back to Mario. You've had too much to drink.

Metallix87

It's pretty obvious they did , with call of duty being the biggest seller.
Again, they needed something to play, and the big titles are the ones they're more likely to gravitate towards.

Here, I'll give you my personal example: Two of my friends bought a PS4 at launch. They each bought AC4, Cod, and BF, despite not really caring for those franchises. When I asked them why, they each said they needed something to play on their new system besides Resogun.

Parakeetman

Where's my Advance Wars, NCL?! :<

Prag, pls. Go back to Mario. You've had too much to drink.

after what happened with the last advance wars on the game cube dont think I want another console advance wars...

is the company that made it still around?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Console sales are up on weekly and YTD bases compared to last year.

I feel like I might be saying this a lot but it's May.

The PS4 isn't going to radically improve come on now,It'll be a long time before we see the PS4 sell decently. Just don't be surprised if it drops below 5k.

StoopKid

How is it not sold on hype when the top selling games on the console are the same games on previous gen consoles, which outsell PS4's numbers astronomically?

PS4 exclusives have sold ok, but nowhere near the numbers that would match hardware sales.

That's not trolling, that's a statement of fact.

Really don't get your post.

Um to the play the best version.

Also where did I ever say anything about ps4 exclusives.

heidern

The Super in SNES, 2 in PS2 and 3 in PS3 denote an upgrade/successor. Microsoft created a connection between PS three and Xbox three sixty since they were trying to appeal to the PS two audience.

The problem is that is the 'U' is an abstract term. With the Wii there was no suffix. Making Wii U, the U has less authority and thus would create an initial reaction of subproduct or offshoot rather than a successor. In mobile phones Sony have been using S, T, Z etc but because they have so many products the customers are conditioned to recognising that each letter stands for a different model. If it was Wii T to Wii U then that would have made sense to public.

In terms of PS4 and it's sub Wii U Japanese sales guess what's likely to happen to third party support? It's not going to happen. Developers will continue to target DS and PS3. They'll support Vita similar to now for at least another year or two. Wii U might get a slight uptick from what it is now. PS4 projects simply won't get greenlighted. The big franchises yeah, but they'll be targeted primarily to the west. Translations of western games yeah. Smaller projects won't happen and there won't be attempts at big new IPs targeted towards Japan.

Sony need to do something themselves. I don't know if they will or if they'll even seriously try.

The ones that they can't get on the old systems. That will be the big titles they buy every year eventually, but right now, it's not.

Guess what they did , i can't play BF4 with 64 players on PS3 or 360 .
I can't stream or takes pics of my COD games on last gen as easy as current gen along with better gfx .
Prettier versions of the same games is what always moves hardware them being cross gen don't mean some people not going to upgrade .

PS4 tie ratio: 3

Evidently thats not the case.

Understanding people enjoy different things is not white knighting. Its common sense. I'll take it that you were joking and not being serious.

StoopKid

Again, they needed something to play, and the big titles are the ones they're more likely to gravitate towards.

Here, I'll give you my personal example: Two of my friends bought a PS4 at launch. They each bought AC4, Cod, and BF, despite not really caring for those franchises. When I asked them why, they each said they needed something to play on their new system besides Resogun.

Again how do you know this ? I know plenty of people that bought a ps4 and xbox to play the best version of games. I think the sales back that up.

test_account

XP-39C²
truthfully thats what i have no idea over, as its not like the launch lineup was all that spectacular in the West. Hell in Japan it was a lot of cross platform stuff asides from the western titles.

though its the features and general ideas i think is what seemed to sell folks. along with design of the unit and the positive buzz generated by Sony's stance on DRM and such during the whole mess that MS seemed to cause for themselves.

think of it as 2 hardcore groups of fans of a sports team really. whichever company knows how to play to their audience better wins really. MS failed at it this time around initially, which is what led to a shift in the market I believe. Though now it seems that they are moving back in a positive direction regardless of folks calling it 180s or not, it does help their stance and bring folks back into their ecosystem.

Image behind ones product is a big thing. Its why I really think here in Japan the XBO isnt going to do so hot esp not after how things went with the 360 not only with the consumers, but the retailers as well. It will depend too on what MS can really bring to the table in terms of software. But the question is will they keep said partnerships after the initial contracted title is launched? We can only wait and see. Will be interesting to see who stays after and who pops smoke.
That is true, but there are specific reasons why people are exited/hyped for something. Naturally this variates from people to people, but generally speaking.

Personally i think it is mainly the games because that is the main function of a console. If someone are only mildly interested in the launch games (i agree that this might not be that uncommon), but buys a console anyway because they know that there are upcoming games that they want, this shows that the reason why they bought it is because of the games.

I dont think there are many people who buys a console now if they have basically no interest in the games that currently exist. I dont see the reason for that at least, then they might just as well wait until those games come out. Then the console might also be cheaper.

I kinda agree that the western PS4 launch lineup wasnt the strongest based on that many of those games also exist for other platforms, but looking at the games themself, i think it was actually a pretty strong lineup. It had CoD, Battlefield, Fifa and Assassins Creed, the strongest franchises in the west.

Chindogg

Really don't get your post.

Um to the play the best version.

Also where did I ever say anything about ps4 exclusives.

My post states that PS3 sales of the same games you're championing squashed the hell out of the PS4 versions. There's very little right now that sets PS4 apart as a must have console. That's why I agreed that it's built on hype.

It's about new games, not the same ones on previous gen systems.

PS4 tie ratio: 3

Evidently thats not the case.

The majority of that ratio is previous gen titles, Knack, or Killzone. None of those numbers specifically are anywhere near the amount of PS4 hardware sold.

Also, for one of the biggest launches ever in scope of sales, 3 is kinda disheartening. Fucking Wii U has a 5 attach rate and that system's all but dead.

use of white knight=your point is invalid
not that it wasn't already, it's pretty obvious that CoD/FIFA/etc. are always the big draws for consoles

Rolf NB

The PS4 isn't going to radically improve come on now,It'll be a long time before we see the PS4 sell decently. Just don't be surprised if it drops below 5k.
I won't. Don't be surprised if it sells 50k either.
In a different week, more towards the end of the year

Only the hardcore fans buy stuff and that even less than before everyone just streams and d\l anime has been that way for years .

Only the hardcore fans buy stuff now, that didn't used to be the case just going off of the amount of anime (including boxed sets) you could find in any given Best Buy up until around 2007 or 2008.

A lot of the stuff on Crunchyroll streams for free and I sincerely doubt that it Anime Network combined makes up for all of the lost DVD and merchandise revenue. I'd be surprised if either alone even makes up for revenue lost from Musicland's bankruptcy.

NES to Super NES looks like a succesor. The same can be said about PSOne to PS2 to PS3. Xbox to 360 is weirder.

But nothing comes close to Wii to Wii U. Especially when Nintendo has released a whole brand of accesories with Wii as part of their name

Wii Balance Board
Wii MotionPlus
Wii Remote
Wii Speak
Wii Wheel
Wii Zapper

Are some that I can remember. And there is software with that name (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Party). I don't find it weird.

If it was called "Wii 2" or "Super Wii" there won't be as much confusion. As it is now, people could easily think the GamePad is an accesory.

As a kid I recall both myself and a number of my peers being confused enough just by the inconsistent PS1/PSX/PSOne naming. Deciding to go with Wii U after a generation of Wii <insert_word> products will always seem like a ridiculous choice to me.

Parakeetman

That is true, but there are specific reasons why people are exited/hyped for something. Naturally this variates from people to people, but generally speaking.

Personally i think it is mainly the games because that is the main function of a console. If someone are only mildly interested in the launch games (i agree that this might not be that uncommon), but buys a console anyway because they know that there are upcoming games that they want, this shows that the reason why they bought it is because of the games.

I dont think there are many people who buys a console now if they have basically no interest in the games that currently exist. I dont see the reason for that at least, then they might just as well wait until those games come out. Then the console might also be cheaper.

I kinda agree that the western PS4 launch lineup wasnt the strongest based on that many of those games also exist for other platforms, but looking at the games themself, i think it was actually a pretty strong lineup. It had CoD, Battlefield, Fifa and Assassins Creed, the strongest franchises in the west.

One thing for sure is the eco-system that Sony set up with PS+ being the gateway for the online MP and such made it easier to swallow paying for the monthly fees vs MS. Not to mention how PS+ ties into pretty much everything with the Sony ecosystem. I think that was a huge part of the hype too which also eased the fact that it went MP = monthly fee.

Bruno MB

Current generation vs last generation sales comparison:

Current generation:

Nintendo 3DS - 15.604.986 (-28,80%)
PlayStation Vita - 2.821.344 (-47,52%)
Nintendo Wii U - 1.741.818 (-71,07%)
PlayStation 4 - 569.400 (-10,32%)
Xbox One - Not released yet

Total - 20.737.548 (-38,91%)

Last generation:

Nintendo DS - 21.914.402
PlayStation Portable - 5.375.529
Nintendo Wii - 6.019.029
PlayStation 3 - 634.922
Xbox 360 -

Total - 33.943.882

Yes because without a proper "roadmap" you just have a giant paperweight once you complete said title you purchased with the console. I mean for example like with the PS4 since its not BC its not like you can go playing PS3 games while you wait. Which with my PS3 I was playing PS2 titles while I waited for something I wanted. hell I still play PS2 titles more than PS3 ones.

But with that playstation now? do think thats what sony is aiming to solve with the service.

You are forgetting the biggest games have multiplayer .
So some people don't need a roadmap they just the sames games every year along with few new ones .

Only the hardcore fans buy stuff now, that didn't used to be the case just going off of the amount of anime (including boxed sets) you could find in any given Best Buy up until around 2007 or 2008.

A lot of the stuff on Crunchyroll streams for free and I sincerely doubt that it Anime Network combined makes up for all of the lost DVD and merchandise revenue. I'd be surprised if either alone even makes up for revenue lost from Musicland's bankruptcy.

Box sets were first sighs showing that anime sales were dying and also play a major part of them dying also .
Also i not saying anime sales\ revenue doing good for companies in NA just a good amount of people that still watch and read stuff .

StoopKid

My post states that PS3 sales of the same games you're championing squashed the hell out of the PS4 versions. There's very little right now that sets PS4 apart as a must have console. That's why I agreed that it's built on hype.

It's about new games, not the same ones on previous gen systems.

Um yeah because of the install base.

prag16

Banned
I'll take it that you were joking and not being serious.

I was serious in that it's not something I'd personally do, and see it as poor value if that's the main reason for a $400 investment. Joking in that I'd literally laugh at any of these people. Hell, there are far more absurd things that people find fun. It's all good, I don't laugh at them either. (usually) :) To each their own. Nothing wrong with that.

use of white knight=your point is invalid
not that it wasn't already, it's pretty obvious that CoD/FIFA/etc. are always the big draws for consoles

... That wasn't the point; I never said those aren't hugely popular games. But you know what, whatever. Was done arguing about it anyhow.

antibolo

Banned
Is there an article somewhere that explains why console gaming has cratered so significantly in Japan? Has disposable income dwindled at all?

I'd say it's because console gaming has become a nerd hobby in Japan. Japanese adults just don't care about video games (that aren't on phones) anymore, unless they're otakus. In the West, there is a MASSIVE semi-casual gamer audience that cares about Calladoody or Ass Creed or whatever, which keeps console gaming profitable, but in Japan that kind of userbase simply does not exist, console games are played by either nerds, or children. The rest of the population is perfectly happy with whatever shitty game is on their smartphone.

I mean look at numbers: a otaku bait game like Idolmaster is #1 this week. Think about it: if the otaku userbase is large enough that their target games are #1 in sales, it means the "normal people" userbase is infinitely insignificant. And there's only so much a otaku-driven industry can achieve (despite what the Internet might have made you believe, otakus are a tiny tiny fraction of the total Japanese population).

Current generation vs last generation sales comparison:

Current generation:

Nintendo 3DS - 15.604.986 (-28,80%)
PlayStation Vita - 2.821.344 (-47,52%)
Nintendo Wii U - 1.741.818 (-71,07%)
PlayStation 4 - 569.400 (-10,32%)
Xbox One - Not released yet

Total - 20.737.548 (-38,91%)

Last generation:

Nintendo DS - 21.914.402
PlayStation Portable - 5.375.529
Nintendo Wii - 6.019.029
PlayStation 3 - 634.922
Xbox 360 -

Total - 33.943.882

if possible, do a comparison with the gen before, I'm pretty sure the console side will be well down from 6th gen (3DS+Vita will be up over GBA though, I think...)

Chindogg

How is software light when it has almost every major third party game ?

Software sales. I guess I really have to spell everything out in each post.

Another fun fact: PS3 at launch's attach rate: 5.

Five-hundred ninety-nine dollar troubled PS3 had a higher attach rate than one of the biggest launches of all time.

How is this not hype related again?

Darius

Banned
I don´t understand PS4s sales, considering this time it has no competition in Japan...
Let´s be clear, it is tracking behind WiiU by a fairly big amount, actually PS4 even sold less than PS3 in the same timeframe.

PSV sales are really bad as well and looking like they are heading towards sub 10k units.

Asd202

I don´t understand PS4s sales, considering this time it has no competition in Japan...
Let´s be clear, it is tracking behind WiiU by a fairly big amount.

PSV sales are really bad as well and looking like they are heading towards sub 10k units.

PS4 has no games for Japanese market.

StoopKid

Software sales. I guess I really have to spell everything out in each post.

Another fun fact: PS3 at launch's attach rate: 5.

Five-hundred ninety-nine dollar troubled PS3 had a higher attach rate than one of the biggest launches of all time.

How is this not hype related again?

Source ?

Yea the ps4 is slaughtering it in hardware sales too.

Top Bottom