• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2013 (May 20 - May 26)

Nope. I think both Famitsu and MC will have it touching 5K next week. This week at least had Revelations. When's the next release again?

The next release is Rabbids Land (WUP-ARBJ-JPN) on 6/6...a game that probably won't even chart on MC, given Rabbids's lack of popularity in Japan and the Wii U's state.

And then after that? Absolutely nothing that will even slightly make a dent in Japan until the 7/13 limited Retail release of New Super Luigi U (WUP-ARPJ-JPN) / the 7/13 release of Pikmin 3 (WUP-AC3J-JPN).

So we have another 6 weeks of awful numbers before any sort of reprieve.

Good on SMT4, probably going to pick it up.

RER PS3 sales are shocking to me, I sometimes take for granted just how huge that franchise is in Japan even for smaller releases like this. Vita barely received any boost from Valhalla too, no chance of climbing back to any decent sales until either Toukiden or Dragon's Crown now.

360 | 382 | 349 | 3.069 | 13.393 | 32.259 | 1.627.227

That Resident Evil bump :)

Also RE numbers on Wii U make me very happy - serves them well for all that no Vita version bullshit excuses.

duckroll

I assume there's no magical red line that the Wii U has to drop below before Nintendo triggers a price drop. At this point I figure they've either set up a strategy and are just going to roll with the shitty sales until later this year.

Price drops are a bit of a waste unless you have a lineup to back it up. Look at the Vita for example. All the good the price drop did it is already starting to vaporize. The lineup is weak and excitement about the lower price is fading. If they have a strong lineup for the WiiU from Fall onwards, but nothing from now until then, there's no reason to drop the price anytime soon.

D-e-f-

Banned
One thing to consider: Wii U owners probably also own a 3DS and might have owned RE:R on 3DS already, so that takes a good chunk of potential sales away. Probably would've been a huge gulf between PS3 and WiiU anyway though. Just wanted to give a little perspective on that one.

feel free to ridicule this as an NDF post, I don't care

Also RE numbers on Wii U make me very happy - serves them well for all that no Vita version bullshit excuses.

What does one thing have to do with the other?

liger05

In which prediction are you referring to?

Have there been predictions for each territory alone?

I am familiar with the 9 million WiiU goal only..

I mean the 9 mil wii u predicton when for the following 3 months after the prediction there was no software on the horizon to see HW sales increase. April, may and June are writeoffs.

Foshy

360 | 382 | 349 | 3.069 | 13.393 | 32.259 | 1.627.227

The Vita version would certainly have sold more than that, yeah. 40K would have been a lock, probably more.

Attach rates are clearly higher on newer platforms. Which is why the WiiU SKU edged out on the 360 SKU at a 9:16 disparity of install bases. My point was that it could have been just as well the other way around - 360 SKU edging out on WiiU SKU, and that would've been normal at the given install bases disparity.
Yes, but setting aside the moribund and essentially DOA 360 for a moment.

The question then becomes - why is the Wii U, as a new system, only managing an attach rate of 0.9% to the aged installed base of the PS3 (1.1%).

Is it concurrent ownership of the 3DS? I imagine a lot of people with PS3s in Japan also own 3DSs.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Wow, the WiiU version of RE:R sold barely above the 360 version.

Wii U isn't the new Dreamcast, it's the new Japanese 360. :-/

wrowa

I always love to see Atlus being successful. :) Though, I've got to admit that I'm a little disappointed that no miracle happened that helped SMTIV outsell Persona 4's first week. (Even when it's more than obvious that Persona is still far more popular than mainline SMT -- numbers look close, but I very much doubt that a re-release of SMTIV would be able to get additional 200k sales just like that.)

crinale

Good for SMT4. I hope Atlus can relief for a while :D
And for RE I expected 360 version to outsell WiiU.
WiiU version numbers are meh but 360 version is quite lower than my expectation, heh :(

Kickz

Well damn WiiU.. That PS4 DRM boost can happen anytime now.

And Vita fighting the good fight. Even though its parent considers it a bastard child, and lets him know it everyday of its life.

vareon

Mighty good for SMT IV.

02./00. [PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War # <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.05.23} (¥7.480) - 128.659 / NEW

M0hmrGI.jpg

Not trying to rag on the Vita, but exactly how much did that price cut accomplish in the long run? Okay, so the new base line is slightly above 10,000 week to week and it is averaging 4,000 to 7,000 more sales each week. Was it really worth a $50 or so price drop just for that? I'm by no means an expert at this, but that price drop didn't seem to change all that much for the long haul. Vita sales are still in the tank (and that's Japan, elsewhere Vita sales are so far through the floor it ain't funny), heavy hitting software still isn't coming out in a steady stream (something we can say the Wii U will have once Nintendo gets their crap together), and now they are making less per unit sold with a marginal sales baseline increase. So is it just me, or was the price drop just kind of a drop in the ocean?

It's not just you. Its impact surpassed most expectations, including mine (though it's difficult to say exactly how much of that was due to the March software and how much was due to the price cut) but the goal of any hardware price cut is a lasting and significant increase in demand, and the Vita price cut has clearly failed to achieve that.

...I mean, if the 3DS price cut had only increased the baseline to 30K (from the ~20-25K it was doing before), it would have been a failure too.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I predict whatever platform the game ends up on will cause a lot of fighting.

Come on, everyone here knows there's only One console where it can release and everyone will agree about it.

I predict whatever platform the game ends up on will cause a lot of fighting.

Honestly, I want it to be a PS4 game.

But they should really make it for PS3/Vita/3DS/WiiU

WiiU/PS3 are the same. Vita is a slightly scaled down version, and 3DS is slightly moreso than Vita.

Will never happen.

3DS + SMTIV beasting, as expected.
I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting VK3 to sell even half that, so, good shit, I suppose.
Vita gets a slight bump, nearing JP 360 LTD.
A lot of newly announced Vita titles (in the past few weeks) are VNs, so it seems it might just take that mantle from the PSP.
Wii U...I just dunno man...

prag16

Banned
It most definitely matters. That there are 'good' reasons for the low-ass sales doesn't change the fact that it matters.

The majority of consumers (e.g. NOT gaf) don't look at month to month sales figures when buying a console. We know there's absolutely no games right now. When there are a bunch of games in the fall, consumers aren't going to say, "Gee, I kinda want a Wii U now, these games look good, but wait, sales in the spring were 10k/week NPD. If only they were 25k+ per week back then."

I also didn't say it "doesn't" matter; I said it "hardly" matters. As in it matters slightly. But with zero games, I don't think 5k sales now vs say 15-20k sales would affect fall numbers a whole lot.

Attach rates are clearly higher on newer platforms. Which is why the WiiU SKU edged out on the 360 SKU at a 9:16 disparity of install bases. My point was that it could have been just as well the other way around - 360 SKU edging out on WiiU SKU, and that would've been normal at the given install bases disparity.

Not to mention the 360 owners are probably less likely to already own the game on 3DS.

Nintendo needs to release games for the Wii U. Those sales are bad.

I hope they announce a lot of games for the system, i want to re-buy a Wii U but Nintendo needs to fix 2 things, account system not tied to hardware and GAMES !

Wow, the WiiU version of RE:R sold barely above the 360 version.

Wii U isn't the new Dreamcast, it's the new Japanese 360. :-/
That's what I noticed and found a bit depressing: selling a multiplat in the same ballpark as the 360 version in Japan screams "run away".

One could make an argument about the size of their respective install bases but I doubt every 360 ever sold in Japan is still in use.

Pretty cool for SMT IV.

boingball

Vita managed to stay above 10k, I am surprised (and a nice almosy 100% improvement compared to last years shocking number).

Revelations sold better on the Wii U than the 360, barely. Didn't help the HW numbers though.

SmokyDave

It's not just you. Its impact surpassed most expectations, including mine (though it's difficult to say exactly how much of that was due to the March software and how much was due to the price cut) but the goal of any hardware price cut is a lasting and significant increase in demand, and the Vita price cut has clearly failed to achieve that.

...I mean, if the 3DS price cut had only increased the baseline to 30K (from the ~20-25K it was doing before), it would have been a failure too.

I dunno man. This post from last week makes a decent case for a noticeable bump, it's also the only system up YoY. There's also the question of how much lower it might've gone without the cut.

I don't think it was a success, but I think it was probably the right move regardless.

The majority of consumers (e.g. NOT gaf) don't look at month to month sales figures when buying a console. We know there's absolutely no games right now. When there are a bunch of games in the fall, consumers aren't going to say, "Gee, I kinda want a Wii U now, these games look good, but wait, sales in the spring were 10k/week NPD. If only they were 25k+ per week back then."

I also didn't say it "doesn't" matter; I said it "hardly" matters. As in it matters slightly. But with zero games, I don't think 5k sales now vs say 15-20k sales would affect fall numbers a whole lot.

Consumers aren't looking at the Wii-U itself, let alone sales figures. That said, it was the investors I was thinking of.

D-e-f-

Banned
Nintendo needs to release games for the Wii U. Those sales are bad.

I hope they announce a lot of games for the system, i want to re-buy a Wii U but Nintendo needs to fix 2 things, account system not tied to hardware and GAMES !

And it's looking like both of those will be fixed soon-ish. ;)

Frodo

I'm still impressed with Luigi and Animal Crossing...

Will AC ever leave the top 10? lol

Good number for RE:R, at least on the PS3.

Nintendo better be preparing something good to save the Wii U. This drought is killing the poor thing.

Top Bottom