• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2015 (Jun 1 - Jun 7)

JRPG VS WRPG
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |    Xenoblade X    |   The Witcher 3   |  Difference  |
|    | [WIU] (2015/04/29)| [PS4] (2015/05/21)|              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |    XX – TW3  | 
|  1 |   85.586|   85.586|   67.385|   67.385|        18.201| 
|  2 |   11.689|   97.275|   22.454|   89.839|         7.436| 
|  3 |    4.236|  101.511|   13.272|  103.111|        -1.600|  
|  4 |    2.625|  104.137|         |         |              | 
|Total        -|  104.137|        -|  103.111|         1.026|      

Kind of a funny comparison since they're both essentially in the same genre - open-world non-turnbased RPG.

Exile20

For mainly multiplayer games it kinda does, you don't exactly want to buy a dead multiplayer game, doesn't have to sell gangbusters, but you'd want it to at least sell.

If everyone thought like that no one would buy a multiplayer game. Everyone would be waiting for ever till someone bought the game.

Geg

JRPG VS WRPG
Code:
|    |    Xenoblade X    |   The Witcher 3   |  Difference  |
|    | [WIU] (2015/04/29)| [PS4] (2015/05/21)|              | 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |    XX – TW3  | 
|  1 |   85.586|   85.586|   67.385|   67.385|        18.201| 
|  2 |   11.689|   97.275|   22.454|   89.839|         7.436| 
|  3 |    4.236|  101.511|   13.272|  103.111|        -1.600|  
|  4 |    2.625|  104.137|         |         |              | 
|Total        -|  104.137|        -|  103.111|         1.026|      

Wow, I wonder what happened here. Why would Xenoblade be so front-loaded while the Witcher continues to sell?

You know who else is super happy outside Nintendo. The author of Squid Girl. I don't think he had any idea when he tweeted about this game after E3 last year how successful it'll be. That costume in August is going to be great advertising.

Speaking of anime Squid Girl had an anime series in 2010 and 2011. Since then there has been an OVA released with the manga in 2012, 2013 and 2014.

Considering the Inklings don't speak human language perhaps Nintendo would be interested in a crossover OVA. It'll allow Squid Girl to do most of the vocal lifting. Also the Inklings looks absolutely great in Squid Girl style as seen by the author's drawings and manga.

Tamanator

Wow, I wonder what happened here. Why would Xenoblade be so front-loaded while the Witcher continues to sell?

It's strange, you'd think Xenoblade X's multiplayer would have resulted into greater legs than the single player focused Witcher.

Sakura

Pretty good hold for Splatoon.
Though I am far more surprised at the Wii U bump. At most I was expecting it to stay the same. I mean, Splatoon sales drop, Wii U sales go up? Oh well, still good.

Can't believe Natsuiro is up there (though only just breaking 13k), apparently it's ruuuuubbisssssh

Hopefully that means it will be on PS+ in the near future, like akibastrip2

Yagami_Sama

Good to see Splatoon numbers. I hope they keeping selling well. I hope that Nintendo learnt that the right way to promote a game and also that there are always interest in new IPs.
Mario Kart 8 deserves some praises, very good numbers. I just wanted that Xenoblade X had sold more.
Also, I don't remember see Wii U in the first spot for two weeks in a row. But for the other side 3DS is not looking that great.

Kudo

That Ikamusume effect, game does look great but holding off buying it myself.
Happy to see Natsuiro Highschool there, but overall everything except Splatoon isn't doing that hot.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Being honest, I hope both Tomodachi's big success in the West and Splatoon are a good lesson for Nintendo next gen: don't be afraid of going outside your major IPs, try new major things (because, we all know - I hope - that Nintendo develops many new IPs per gen, but Splatoon is different in terms of relevance, market-wise).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Hmmm

Maybe I should start a comparison between Splatoon and Smash Wii U

7dd5d1cc71ce9697b5e268f95dbc9e4c_400x400.jpeg

Being honest, I hope both Tomodachi's big success in the West and Splatoon are a good lesson for Nintendo next gen: don't be afraid of going outside your major IPs, try new major things (because, we all know - I hope - that Nintendo develops many new IPs per gen, but Splatoon is different in terms of relevance, market-wise).

Exactly. Hopefully, this shows Nintendo that well designed new IP's have the potential to sell as much as their heavy hitters and that gamers are itching for new and unique experiences still.

sörine

Banned
All these weird Witcher/Xenoblade comparisons have me wondering how Splatoon's comparing to the big western shooters like COD and Destiny?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

There's a bit of a difference there. Tomodachi Collection comes from Team Sakamoto / NIntendo SPD which basically has much more creative freedom but work under significantly small budgets. Nintendo EAD staff has a much harder job convincing Miyamoto on original concepts.

But I really hope Splatoon continues selling. Nintendo typically does well with multiplayer IPs, much more than single player.

Tomodachi is weird though. It uses Mii's so in essence it's not a new IP like Mario Sports.

In fact the Mii's are so well known and used everyone already created one can't be disputed.

Geg

sörine;167182344 said:
All these weird Witcher/Xenoblade comparisons have me wondering how Splatoon's comparing to the big western shooters like COD and Destiny?

I remember people saying in the speculation leading up to Splatoon's release that those generally sell in the 150k ~ 200k range but I may be remembering wrong

Scum

What's been great about Splatoon for me is everything surrounding it. From the unveiling to the promotion then launch. It's all been handled really well. Hopefully we see more and more of this from Nintendo.

random25

So Koei Tecmo just announced a 3DS port of Hyrule Warriors. Would be interesting to see if it'll do much better or worse than the Wii U one in Japan, which did quite well.

E-phonk

Banned
So Koei Tecmo just announced a 3DS port of Hyrule Warriors. Would be interesting to see if it'll do much better or worse than the Wii U one in Japan, which did quite well.
In Japan? I'd say better. Good addition to their line-up though, Q3-Q4 2015 is getting pretty solid.

dracula_x

sörine;167182344 said:

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Subtitled Edition
1st week – 147,376 (PS3/PS4/XB1 combined)
2nd week – 24,825 (PS3/PS4 only)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I suppose Hyrule Warriors 3DS is among the most surprising announcements of the year, right?

Looking at the trailer, it uses the Samurai Warriors Chroncles bottom screen setup too, IIRC.

装甲悪鬼村正;167183949 said:
I feel so bad for the IR#FE team, that game is going to bomb so hard. There is no audience for RPGs on the Wii U.

I'm guessing it'll do much better. Keep in mind that the original Xenoblade was never a big seller even on the drastically more popular Wii. Open world RPGs isn't really Japan's thing.

random25

Let's see first if it's not exclusive for the new 3ds.

It's not if the shown case is to be believed.

In Japan? I'd say better. Good addition to their line-up though, Q3-Q4 2015 is getting pretty solid.

Well, being a late port can be a factor, as historically they don't do well in Japan as compared to the first version. But, if 3DS Musou audience doesn't overlap with the Wii U one, yes it might do better. I'd say I'll go with the latter.

It's strange, you'd think Xenoblade X's multiplayer would have resulted into greater legs than the single player focused Witcher.

I think we are seeing demographic segregation. The WiiU's price, and the increased expense of having to own a smartphone/handheld may mean that Japanese consumers are only choosing one console platform. And the Witcher is a better match for the Playstation 4 audience, who bought it for Bloodborne, Grand Theft Auto 5, etc than for the WiiU audience. The WiiU really has nothing else like Xenoblade on it, so if you were inclined to want an open-world RPG and could only chose one system, why wouldn't you chose the Playstation 4?

Add to that I think there was a knock-on effect from Western hype not so much among the Japanese public generally, but among Japanese gamers who already tend to like Western games. That made up for the lack of domestic promotion, whereas Xenoblade really didn't have anything like that going for it.

This also isn't out of the blue. Skyrim did 250K, and even DAI did 60K on PS4 and 40K on PS3, and that was in a much more competitive market climate.

Javier

For comparison, second week sales:

Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 73.051 / 398.943 (-78%)
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.12.06} (¥7.776) - 79.005 / 306.533 (-65%)
New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) - 71.011 / 234.539 (-57%)
Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 68.913 / 213.731

it did well in the west, I don't think its Japanese performance was anything special...
I'm guessing it'll do much better. Keep in mind that the original Xenoblade was never a big seller even on the drastically more popular Wii. Open world RPGs isn't really Japan's thing.
and the audience for that game is on different systems and won't get a Wii U for it

...kind of like Xenoblade, huh

openrob

You see Nintendo? This is why you need some big revolutionary game at launch that really shows something new and different...not a 4th New Super Mario Bros game...

...Yeah I know there was ZombiU, but...:(

I think you are right. Even SM3DW would have been better than another 'NEW' SMB game.

random25

it did well in the west, I don't think its Japanese performance was anything special...

Well, we're in Japan sales thread so I'm kinda concerned with the folks from the Far East :p

Yeah, it didn't do anything special there, but still sold fairly well for a Wii U title and met KT's sales expectations. This port might not have taken too much resources so they might want to bank on the spin-off a bit more with a port with a better user base.

Mokubba

Surprised Witcher 3 looks set to pass Xenoblade. Who would have thought.

For comparison, second week sales:

Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 73.051 / 398.943 (-78%)
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.12.06} (¥7.776) - 79.005 / 306.533 (-65%)
New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) - 71.011 / 234.539 (-57%)
Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 68.913 / 213.731

Well done Splatoon.
Really establishing itself in Japan.

Top Bottom