• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2015 (Jun 1 - Jun 7)

PS4 is still surely going to pass WiiU in late 2016. There are simply to little title for Wii U which had chances of increasing the hardware sales.

Mario Maker is the only title i can see moving the market for those minecraft type of players. While PS4 had DQ, FF and possibly all other big Japanese IP which make sure the worst come to worst, PS4 will still do better than Wii U.

I don't know about that. Kingdom Hearts and Street Fighter are really the only big PS4 movers I see on the horizon (I have serious doubts that Final Fantasy XV will be out next year at all), and Street Fighter IV didn't exactly light the world on fire in Japan.

Bear in mind that the Wii U currently has a lead of over 800,000. The PS4 will eat away at that, but is it really going to sell 800,000 more units than the Wii U in the next 16-18 months? The Wii U is going to have continued Splatoon sales, Mario Maker, Animal Crossing, and Zelda, while the PS4 will have some cross gen titles along with Street Fighter V and maybe Kingdom Hearts III. It should still sell at a higher baseline than the Wii U, but it would need to beat the Wii U by an average of about 10,500 units a week to catch it by the last week of 2016 (using Media Create numbers). It's done that a few weeks this year, but it hasn't really been managing that in the last couple of months.

Takao

Banned
Who would've guessed Wii U had that in it?

lol at Stella Glow.

That's a bad number for Stella Glow. Are the numbers for the Rorona and Shiren remakes bad, too, or were they expected?

Shiren is a port and sold slightly better than prior PSP ports. If Spike Chunsoft kept making them with similar sales, then I guess that's a solid result.

Rorona's numbers are better than what I was expecting, yet not really any good. I know it's the third release of the game in <10 years, but it's an actual remake of the game that sold worse than any of the Vita Atelier ports.

AdanVC

So happy it continues doing so well. Go Splatoon!

Super happy about splatoon and hopefully it encourages Nintendo to step out of thei comfort zone, rely less on the old guard (the pressure the have on Miyamoto to create a smash hit that uses the Gamepad must be exhausting) and let the younger developers have a shot at making new stuff.

This! Being a young developer working at Nintendo must be a dream come true for all of them so they give their best of the best on their work. Full inspiration and motivation and this is the result, an awesome new IP with more than excellent and satisfying gameplay with a totally rad artstyle. Miyamoto, leave those developers do whatever the hell they want from now on so we can have more games like Splatoon or even crazier new IPs :D

sörine

Banned
Rorona's numbers are better than what I was expecting, yet not really any good. I know it's the third release of the game in <10 years, but it's an actual remake of the game that sold worse than any of the Vita Atelier ports.
It's technically the 4th release, Ronona Plus had a PS3 release too. And in under 6 years from the original Rorona.

Splatoon has really paid off for Nintendo and I look forward to seeing other games in the series inevitably improving upon the foundation laid by this game. On the other hand, everything that isn't Wii U looks awful this week.

i never though i would here those words ever in a sales thread

Takao

Banned
sörine;167204781 said:
It's technically the 4th release, Ronona Plus had a PS3 release too. And in under 6 years from the original Rorona.

Rorona Plus launched on the same day for PS3/Vita and feature identical content. You're right in saying that the 3DS build is the fourth one to exist, but it's really the third release of the game.

sörine

Banned
Rorona Plus launched on the same day for PS3/Vita and feature identical content. You're right in saying that the 3DS build is the fourth one to exist, but it's really the third release of the game.
By build it's 4th, by release it's technically 5th with the two Rorona Best rereleases. :p

nintendo-back-from-the-grave-iwata-coffin-shocked-13884007960.gif

Should be updated with Iwata splatooning Hirai and the rest. I'm really happy that Splatoon and Wii U are doing well in Japan. I'm planning to get Splatoon tomorrow since I'm finished with The Witcher 3 and I want to change the mood and have some fun in multiplayer.

Tapejara

Nice bump for Wii U + Splatoon legs.

Atelier at just under 9k? That's about in-line with the recent Vita entries; KT couldn't have really expected much from it.

Kolx

You know Japan is dead when 21k is considered amazing for a console that had a AAA exclusive just 2 weeks ago.

Crom

To increase the baseline above Mario Kart and Smash is a huge achievement. Congrats to the young Nintendo devs.

I really hope Iwata realizes this is what happens when you offer an enticing new IP that cannot be found on the handheld platform. Their handheld and console lines have never been so similar.

Yeah...I didn't understand why they would release a NSMB on the 3DS right before the Wii U launched with one. Then they port DK Returns to the 3DS right before tropical Freeze is out on the Wii U. Also they released Smash on the 3DS well ahead of the Wii U version instead of at least at the same time. You want people to have a compelling reason to buy your home console right?

Sakura

You know Japan is dead when 21k is considered amazing for a console that had a AAA exclusive just 2 weeks ago.

Yea but this is the Wii U. There have been entire months where the Wii U has done like 40~60k in the US. And America has 2.5 times the population.
So for terms of the Wii U, I think it 21k in a week is great. Japan has some of the best Wii U sales per capita worldwide. Only problem is the sales of the PS4 have been poor, and Xbox is, well, Xbox so on a whole, Japanese console sales aren't great.

Vena

As I said last week, little kids seem to have gotten interested in Splatoon. The community around the game is definitely helping spread word of it at uni, or so I have been told (it seems to be very popular amongst young women from my friend's perspective... then again her perspective is skewed as she mostly hangs out with female friends).

Uni this past weekend was MK8/Splatoon/Smash with a lot of friends for the first time in a while for her.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo really hit the nail with Splatoon. Such an over performer!

Jamix012

2yrs+ WiiU = 2.376.759

1yr+ PS4 = 1.512.649

Hmm..

And yet, from what I remember seeing last, the PS4 is still behind Wii U launch aligned (though this could have changed since?) Regardless...you missed the point in the first place that the PS4 isn't catching right now.

So fucking happy about Splatoon. Game of the Year for me so far. Thrilled to see we are basically guaranteed more of it in the future.

I'm glad Nintendo continues to make so many new IPs. Every once in a while one catches fire, like Splatoon clearly has.

Oregano

2yrs+ WiiU = 2.376.759

1yr+ PS4 = 1.512.649

Hmm..

I think the PS4 might still be behind Wii U launch aligned though...(someone correct me if I'm wrong). It'll overtake at some point next year but it's going to take a while.

In other news if Hyrule Warriors runs decently and in 3D KT have stepped their 3DS game up and shamed a lot of other developers, specifically Square Enix. Wonder if it boots out like Smash and MH4U?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
And yet, from what I remember seeing last, the PS4 is still behind Wii U launch aligned (though this could have changed since?) Regardless...you missed the point in the first place that the PS4 isn't catching right now.

Yeah thePS4 is catching the Wii U LTD anytime soon. Certainly not by the end of next year, not with the way it's selling and it's line-up.

JRPG VS WRPG
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |    Xenoblade X    |   The Witcher 3   |  Difference  |
|    | [WIU] (2015/04/29)| [PS4] (2015/05/21)|              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |    XX – TW3  | 
|  1 |   85.586|   85.586|   67.385|   67.385|        18.201| 
|  2 |   11.689|   97.275|   22.454|   89.839|         7.436| 
|  3 |    4.236|  101.511|   13.272|  103.111|        -1.600|  
|  4 |    2.625|  104.137|         |         |              | 
|Total        -|  104.137|        -|  103.111|         1.026|      
TW3. Really impressive to see this happening. Congrats as ever to CDPR.

Dear Japan,
please stop buying this game. You have a fuckton of lag in Splat Zones and I can't play until you sleep.

Thanks

lol co-signed. Those fkn rollers man.
From my experience their rollers really aren't that laggy; they're about the same as Europeans for me. Whenever I experience severe lag (and it's not my net exploding) it's virtually always an English name because severe lag is usually caused by shit net and not distance.

CrisKre

Splatoon in my GOTY, the best multiplayer experience i have EVER had, and just an incredible experience all around. So Japan going crazy about it makes me incredibly happy.

Its also great to see nintendo release a new hardcore franchise that resonates so well with today´s gamers.

prag16

Banned
Yeah thePS4 is catching the Wii U LTD anytime soon. Certainly not by the end of next year, not with the way it's selling and it's line-up.
Yeah, a year ago people were CERTAIN PS4 would overtake Wii U LTD in 2016. At the time I said 2017 was more likely, with "never" still being unable to be ruled out.

Now, we can probably rule out "never" I suppose. But 2017 is still looking like the smarter bet. 2016 isn't looking highly likely at this point, but who knows.

Surprised by Splatoon's hold and Wii U's increase. Not bad.

NateDrake

Yeah, a year ago people were CERTAIN PS4 would overtake Wii U LTD in 2016. At the time I said 2017 was more likely, with "never" still being unable to be ruled out.

Now, we can probably rule out "never" I suppose. But 2017 is still looking like the smarter bet. 2016 isn't looking highly likely at this point, but who knows.

Surprised by Splatoon's hold and Wii U's increase. Not bad.

For the PS4 to make up the 800k deficit within the next 18months, it would need to outsell the Wii U by 44,444 units each month. A 11k lead each week for 18months just doesn't seem likely right now.

JRPG VS WRPG
Code:
|    |    Xenoblade X    |   The Witcher 3   |  Difference  |
|    | [WIU] (2015/04/29)| [PS4] (2015/05/21)|              | 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |    XX – TW3  | 
|  1 |   85.586|   85.586|   67.385|   67.385|        18.201| 
|  2 |   11.689|   97.275|   22.454|   89.839|         7.436| 
|  3 |    4.236|  101.511|   13.272|  103.111|        -1.600|  
|  4 |    2.625|  104.137|         |         |              | 
|Total        -|  104.137|        -|  103.111|         1.026|      

Unsurprising considering how bad the word of mouth for XCX has been.

And Splatoon is going to become the best selling shooter in Japan ever. At least at single SKU level.

Top Bottom