• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2017 (Jun 05 - Jun 11)

Busaiku

Nah I don't think it will do that well. When it was first announced I had pretty high expectations, but seems clear it isn't going to be a huge seller. World announcement didn't help, plus XX 3DS is still selling well.
Sales have only gone up in response to the Switch version being crossplay.
It was declining much faster previously.

Oregano

You are sure picking your comparisons randomly.

Not really. Last gen for Nintendo is 3DS/Wii U, last gen for Sony is PS3/PSP.

Also the idea that Nintendo should be the only one worried about not being able to match the most successful period of any company, with any platforms, in the industry's history is hilarious.

Nah I don't think it will do that well. When it was first announced I had pretty high expectations, but seems clear it isn't going to be a huge seller. World announcement didn't help, plus XX 3DS is still selling well.

What are people expecting anyway ?
About 250k fw and crawling it's way to 600k ?

It's really hard to predict imo.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What are people expecting anyway ?
About 250k fw and crawling it's way to 600k ?

It's really hard to predict imo.

Yeah my initial thought was way too high and it really is unpredictable. Part of it depends IMO on how much supply Nintendo pushes until then- if the userbase explodes next month after the Splatoon 2 bomb, that will be a lot more potential buyers who are just getting their local multiplayer fix.

I'll say 150K-ish first week and ?? on final LTD.

Not really. Last gen for Nintendo is 3DS/Wii U, last gen for Sony is PS3/PSP.

Also the idea that Nintendo should be the only one worried about not being able to match the most successful period of any company, with any platforms, in the industry's history is hilarious.

RIP Vita

So Switch has to match Wii + NDS sales because Nintendo is using marketing speech to sell their new handheld as a console too? Help us understand your reasoning for this.

Well, Sony is on the way to exceed PS3 and Vita sales. It also doesn't matter because Sony gave up on the handheld space while Nintendo is trying to unify their two platforms because both have seen significant worldwide decline - in fact one even plain bombed.

Vita is still weirdly current gen.Throw it in with PS4 and they're still not hitting PS3/PSP levels.

3DS and VITA were released like 9 months apart, while the 3DS still gets actively supported by Nintendo. Your nonsense is offensive.

Oregano

Well, Sony is on the way to exceed PS3 and Vita sales. It also doesn't matter because Sony gave up on the handheld space while Nintendo is trying to unify their two platforms because both have seen significant worldwide decline - in fact one even plain bombed.

Even if you want to count Vita as Sony's last gen(Which it isn't) the bolded is true in that PS3 declined from PS2 and Vita bombed so lol.

schuelma

Monster Hunter 3G started at 522k when 3DS was at 3.2 million.

Yeah. Switch might be at like 1.5-1.6M if they are really pushing supply after Splatoon 2. So I don't see an insane opening.

Oregano

3DS and VITA were released like 9 months apart, while the 3DS still gets actively supported by Nintendo. Your nonsense is offensive.

Nintendo began a new generation this year. Unless you're suggesting the Vita generation lasted from 2011 to 2013?

And I'm the one talking nonsense. I guess PSP gets thrown in with PS2 now?

Please quote me on that.

Well apparently it's a problem Nintendo can't match Wii/DS even when no one is getting anywhere close.

EDIT:
There is no realistic scenario in which MHW could be the second 1M seller for PS4, right?

No because DQXI will be released first.

schuelma

There is no realistic scenario in which MHW could be the second 1M seller for PS4, right?

Nope, it could be the 3rd!

(I think 1 million is achievable, especially if early impressions are correct that it hasn't been *that* westernized. But I think 1m is the cap in Japan)

No because DQXI will be released first.

Nope, it could be the 3rd!

(I think 1 million is achievable, especially if early impressions are correct that it hasn't been *that* westernized. But I think 1m is the cap in Japan)

See, SE. If it's not announced for the West I tend to forget it. Yeah, DQXI hopefully does it.

I do think it will sell 1M.

I am just happy that this seems to be a MH game that fans like with some modifications to attracks people unfamiliar with the franchise. Reception in Japan, from what I have heard, seems to be really good.

Nintendo began a new generation this year. Unless you're suggesting the Vita generation lasted from 2011 to 2014?

When did Sony stop supporting the VITA 2014 or 2015?
So VITA will be "current gen" forever because Sony will never make a "new generation"?

Well apparently it's a problem Nintendo can't match Wii/DS even when no one is getting anywhere close.

Well, appently it's a problem for Sony in your eyes.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Your arguement doesn't make a lick of sense if your saying Nintendo's goal is to match the wii and ds sales while in some misconstrued manner comparing it to to Sony abandoning their handhelds but not placing any such ludicious notions.

1) Nintendo's stated goals to shareholders are to reach wii levels not reach Wii and DS levels.

2) The PS3 and Vita are not the same generation, like not even slightly so that comparison is nonsense, PS3 and PSP are the same generation. The PSV launched only over a year - two before the PS4 and a full generation after the PS3.

3) The 3DS and wii u weren't all that profitable for Nintendo as the 3DS price cut, cut deeply into Nintendo's bottom-line and the software didn't make up that shortfall for a loong time. The switch is like the PS4 on track to be more profitable than that generation when you add in paid online.

Even if they only sold 3DS numbers they'd be in a much better position if the software sales were comparable.

Ninjimbo

I just can't see it mostly because the whole appeal of MH was that it was portable. At the height of its popularity it barely cracked a million and that was on the Wii. Will the people who got used to playing it on 3DS migrate over to the PS4? I doubt it.

MHW would have to carve out a new audience.

Oregano

When did Sony stop supporting the VITA 2014 or 2015?
So VITA will be "current gen" forever because Sony will never make a "new generation"?

Well, appently it's a problem for Sony in your eyes.

Even if you accept that how the fuck does that mean Vita gets thrown in with PS3 for a gen-on-gen comparison?

Vita becomes last gen when the next generation of Sony systems starts, not before because it arbitrarily makes Sony look better.

If not matching Wii/DS is a problem for Nintendo it's a problem for everyone in the industry.

Your arguement doesn't make a lick of sense if your saying Nintendo's goal is to match the wii and ds sales while in some mistrued manner comparising it to to Sony abandoning their handhelds but not placing any such ludicious notions.

Please quote the things I am saying and don't talk about what you think I'm saying.

Even if you accept that how the fuck does that mean Vita gets thrown in with PS3 for a gen-on-gen comparison?

Your thinking in generation just doesn't make sense in the first place.

maybe,maybe not

It just bullshit not to use systems which were sold around the same time (NDS, PSP) because muh generations.

Not that anything makes sense from the very beginning. I don't even know what kind of point he is trying to prove. Sony didn't design the PS4 to tap the handheld and console markets at the same time unlike Nintendo with the Switch.

Sony left the handheld market because the VITA underperformed massively while Nintendo wants a platform to release their different kinds of games on one platform.

Branduil

The main reason Monster Hunter makes this thread unbearable is not because there's anything inherently wrong with discussing MH sales, but because it's just used as a proxy for console warz.

Lexxism

Wow, isn't that one big shit post? And yes, downgrade the lighting and nothing tells me that the NS couldn't run that.
Pretty much what you expect from Psycho_Mantis posts. It's like a child posting behind.

edit: lol he got banned. I wonder if that was because of that post.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It just bullshit not to use systems which were sold around the same time (NDS, PSP) because muh generations.

Not that anything makes sense from the very beginning. I don't even know what kind of point he is trying to prove. Sony didn't design the PS4 to tap the handheld and console markets at the same time unlike Nintendo with the Switch.

Sony left the handheld market because the VITA underperformed massively while Nintendo wants a platform to release their different kinds of games on one platform.

They were not sold around the same time. that's why people are treating you like your crazy.

PSP launch date Japan :12 Dec 2004
PS3 launch date Japan 11 Nov 2006

PSV launch date Japan: 17 Dec 2011
PS4 launch date Japan: 22 Feb 2014 (15 Nov 2013 in NA)

Under absolutely no circumstances is your arguement logical. It would be almost the exact same gap if Sony didn't decide to delay the Japanese launch of the PS4.

They were not sold around the same time. that's why people are treating you like your crazy.

PSp luanhc date Japan :12 Dec 2004
PS3 launch date Japan 11 Nov 2006

PSV launch date Japan: 17 Dec 2011
PS4 launch date Japan: 22 Feb 2014 (15 Nov 2013 in NA)

Under absolutely no circumstances is your arguement logical

PSP and NDS were released in the very same month in Japan.
While their successors were released 9 months apart from each other.

The entire line of thinking is also bullshit because the PS4 isn't supposed to tap the console and handheld markets.

Oregano

Switch released 12 years after DS and 9 years after Wii. PS4 released 2 years after Vita.The time argument doesn't even work in your favour?

As to the bolded that's a meaningless description EDIT: distinction, otherwise what the fuck are Tearaway and Gravity Rush doing on PS4?

Switch released 12 years after DS and 9 years after Wii. PS4 released 2 years after Vita.The time argument doesn't even work in your favour?

How is that even relevant?

Nintendo released a successor for the 3DS, Sony didn't do the same for the VITA but left the handheld market.
The VITA is 9 months younger than the 3DS. Trying to put them into different generations for no reasons is baseless.

Oregano

How is that even relevant?

Nintendo released a successor for the 3DS, Sony didn't do the same for the VITA but left the handheld market.
The VITA is 9 months younger than the 3DS. Trying to put them into different generations for no reasons is baseless.

So why are you trying to do it?

Vita is the same generation as 3DS, Wii U, PS4 and XBO. Switch isn't.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
PSP and NDS were released in the very same month in Japan.
While their successors were released 9 months apart from each other.

The entire line of thinking is also bullshit because the PS4 isn't supposed to tap the console and handheld markets.

That does not contradict the point. The PS4 and the PSV are for all intents and purposes the same gen under the previous usual generation parameters the switch is a new gen. For now Nintendo is treating it as a console and comparing it to consoles the need and assumption that it must outselff both the 3DS and the wii u is completely on your end.

Sony abandoning handhelds doesn't matter a single bit these are companies, bottom line and engaged userbase are all that matters. If the switch were just a handheld would you think nintendo would be happy if it resulted in a contraction of their profitability just because they "gave up" consoles?

So why are you trying to do it?

Vita is the same generation as 3DS, Wii U, PS4 and XBO. Switch isn't.

So long you are operating with your nebulous "generations" concept, you will not make sense at all.

If you claim that the PS4 somehow for whatever reasons must reach sales of the PSP and PS3 then it is only logical to do the same for the Switch with systems in the very same timeframe.

Oregano

That does not contradict the point. The PS4 and the PSV are for all intents and purposes the same gen under the previous usual generation parameters the switch is a new gen. For now Nintendo is treating it as a console and comparing it to consoles the need and assumption that it must outselff both the 3DS and the wii u is completely on your end.

Sony abandoning handhelds doesn't matter a single bit these are companies, bottom line and engaged userbase are all that matters. If the switch were just a handheld would you think nintendo would be happy if it resulted in a contraction of their profitability just because they "gave up" consoles?

He started off making that point when he said PS4 would be more profitable than PSP/PS3 which is reasonable but then Switch got compared to Wii/DS which makes no sense, then he lumped in Vita with PS3 instead of PS4 for some reason. Bizarre.

EDIT:
So long you are operating with your nebulous "generations" concept, you will not make sense at all.

If you claim that the PS4 somehow for whatever reasons must reach sales of the PSP and PS3 then it is only logical to do the same for the Switch with systems in the very same timeframe.

That makes sense if we completely ignore the fact the Switch released years after the PS4?

goldage

Banned
odyssey should have performances similar to smg series hopefully, i think its freshness will be a big selling point, especially for longtime fans

Nibel

The main reason Monster Hunter makes this thread unbearable is not because there's anything inherently wrong with discussing MH sales, but because it's just used as a proxy for console warz.

I want to read and follow this thread, but this stealth console war some people are fighting on the back of Monster Hunter is fucking annoying

I didn't make the claim in the first place.

PS4 will not sell the same as the PS3 and PSP. And I don't think the Switch will archive it.

Shahed

I want to read and follow this thread, but this stealth console war some people are fighting on the back of Monster Hunter is fucking annoying

Are you sure that's the right word to use? Frankly it's always been the case and these sales threads have always been fueled to a large degree by console warrior nonsense. There's just been something big in MHW to release the shackles

Top Bottom