• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2017 (Jun 05 - Jun 11)

wrowa

The past page is some really pedantic discussion about generations where no party seems to realize that they are talking past each other, creating one huge misunderstanding in the process.

casiopao

If MHW negatively affects the MH IP as a whole it's more like the death of Capcom. What other surefire moneymaker at that scale have they left?

ftfy

Dragon dogma..wait
Megaman...wait
Onimusha.....wait

Breath of fire is surely going to safe them baby.^^

(Tencent is going to safe them for sure lol.)

The main reason Monster Hunter makes this thread unbearable is not because there's anything inherently wrong with discussing MH sales, but because it's just used as a proxy for console warz.

Yup. Media Create threads bring out the worst sometimes, with fanboys come armchair analysts shouting each other down on both sides of the fence. The amount of shit I got over the past several months for my comments about MH, which turned out to be true are quite something. And as expected, the announcement of World has only intensified things rather than making them get better. The way some of you talk to others in these threads is pretty disgusting, over games no less.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yup. Media Create threads bring out the worst sometimes, with fanboys come armchair analysts shouting each other down on both sides of the fence. The amount of shit I got over the past several months for my comments about MH, which turned out to be true are quite something.

And as expected, the announcement of World has only intensified things rather than making them get better.
I'be largely stopped discussing works and MH there's no point to it. I guess Media create threads activity has always been a poisoned chalice. This sorta suit seems to go hand in hand with it.

I'm still not quite sure if I miss the "so just how dead is the traditional Japanese games industry" "so dead".

Datschge

(Tencent is going to safe them for sure lol.)
On that matter, do we know how MH Online fares in China nowadays? Steady licensing income for Capcom? Before MHW I expected Capcom to expand that to the West sometime as alternative to the traditional MH games.

wrowa

If MHW negatively affects the MH IP as a whole it's more like the death of Capcom. What other surefire moneymaker at that scale have they left?

MHW significantly affecting the MH IP negatively is quite a silly idea to begin with, though. Worst case its sales will be kinda unremarkable in Japan, but a lacklustre home console release wouldn't particularly affect the appeal of future portable iterations. Those would still sell their usual numbers (maybe slightly less due to general MH fatigue, but still on the multi-million level).

I'be largely stopped discussing works and MH there's no point to it. I guess Media create threads activity has always been a poisoned chalice. This sorta suit seems to go hand in hand with it.

I'm still not quite sure if I miss the "so just how dead is the traditional Japanese games industry" "so dead".

Yeah, I mean I stand by my opinion that there are actually a lot of people in these threads that have an agenda, especially Nintendo fans (although you have a very vocal minority of Sony fanboys dropping in and out too who cause their share of havoc). It's very difficult to have discussions with the sensible regulars here because of it.

Monster Hunter being such a big franchise, any discussion about it is inevitably going to go south as a result of the sort of people these threads attract. Poisoned chalice is putting it lightly :p

Demoli

Are you sure that's the right word to use? Frankly it's always been the case and these sales threads have always been fueled to a large degree by console warrior nonsense. There's just been something big in MHW to release the shackles

In Japan,a mainline MH releasing on a console is the exact opposite of releasing the shackles.

wrowa

Yeah, I mean I stand by my opinion that there are actually a lot of people in these threads that have an agenda, especially Nintendo fans (although you have a very vocal minority of Sony fanboys dropping in and out too who cause their share of havoc). It's very difficult to have discussions with the sensible regulars here because of it.

Monster Hunter being such a big franchise, any discussion about it is inevitably going to go south as a result of the sort of people these threads attract. Poisoned chalice is putting it lightly :p

Unrelated, but do you know by any chance whether Capcom plans to employ the service game approach for MHW (as in steady content updates)? Feels like that'd be a necessity in order to really make a splash in the west (for longer than five minutes at least).

Passose

Banned

btw, it was literally YOU who started the entire pointless argument by claiming Nintendo needs Monster Hunter

Unrelated, but do you know by any chance whether Capcom plans to employ the service game approach for MHW (as in steady content updates)? Feels like that'd be a necessity in order to really make a splash in the west (for longer than five minutes at least).

I believe they're going to do something like seasons in SFV.

btw, it was literally YOU who started the entire pointless argument by claiming Nintendo needs Monster Hunter

It wasn't meant to be inflammatory though. I said that Monster Hunter was instrumental in helping 3DS reach the heights it did in Japan and that it isn't a franchise that Switch should miss out on if Nintendo wants it to do the same or better than it's predecessor. It became an argument the moment people decided my suggestion was so offensive that it needed to be reacted to so sharply.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

True but her dragon quest splatoon 2 arms Pokemon, dragon ball, switch sales etc there's plenty of stuff to discuss these days. I'd personally rather just ignore those those conversation a and talk about those. Don't think I could handle another two years of this thread being completely depressed about the Japanese industry.

noshten

You guys arguing about MH, when all games will become irrelevant once Splatoon 2 releases - Japan will be too busy playing Splatoon 2 to buy anything else and MC threads will go full squid.

Datschge

MHW significantly affecting the MH IP negatively is quite a silly idea to begin with, though. Worst case its sales will be kinda unremarkable in Japan, but a lacklustre home console release wouldn't particularly affect the appeal of future portable iterations. Those would still sell their usual numbers (maybe slightly less due to general MH fatigue, but still on the multi-million level).
As is Capcom can call themselves lucky they can toy with a home console exclusive entry while it's already apparent that the handheld market in Japan is not endangered. Without Switch existing what would future portable iterations even be released on?

All the MH talk makes me wonder what the next mega franchise is gonna be for the generation. We know Splatoon is gonna break out in a huge way but I wonder what the next Yokai Watch is gonna be and who is gonna be the publisher. It's always interesting to see the extended legs then explosion of new franchises. Because of when the Switch is launching it's difficult to tell as we haven't seen any really big new IPs for it outside of Nintendo's stuff.

Passose

Banned
I believe they're going to do something like seasons in SFV.

It wasn't meant to be inflammatory though. I said that Monster Hunter was instrumental in helping 3DS reach the heights it did in Japan and that it isn't a franchise that Switch should miss out on if Nintendo wants it to do the same or better than it's predecessor. It became an argument the moment people decided my suggestion was so offensive that it needed to be reacted to so sharply.
Don't try to hide,everyone knows it, it was you who started the entire argument and now you're trying to run away by blaming it to those "fanboys".If you were brave enough to "called out" the fanboys who keep bringing the monster hunter argument into this then why didn't you have the balls to accept that you were the one started the entire argument and heated it up with your posts

Datschge

All the MH talk makes me wonder what the next mega franchise is gonna be for the generation. We know Splatoon is gonna break out in a huge way but I wonder what the next Yokai Watch is gonna be and who is gonna be the publisher. It's always interesting to see the extended legs then explosion of new franchises. Because of when the Switch is launching it's difficult to tell as we haven't seen any really big new IPs for it outside of Nintendo's stuff.
I'd love to see a new Level 5, a developer who just gets the current market trends and rides to success with their first self-published games. Kinda miss the DS days in that regard.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Lol, what happened to this thread?

> Monster Hunter World creating an insane amount of shameless fanboy fight between the sides (THE MH FRANCHISE IS USELESS! NINTENDO DOESN'T NEED IT! THE WEST IS GOING TO SAVE IT! WE ESCAPED THE HANDHELD GHETTO!)
> doom on Switch's third party support because OF COURSE it will never improve, OF COURSE Sony-sama has everything they deserve, OF COURSE third parties will NEVER, EVER consider another platform to release their games on outside of Sony-sama, OF COURSE the current and on-going Switch's success is irrelevant and also EACH AND EVERYONE of Nintendo's former exclusive franchises are coming to Sony platforms as well including a brand like Taiko that has NEVER been on a Sony platform (if you ignore PS2. And PSP. And Vita. But Sony ignores the Vita too, so that's understandable)
> Psycho_Mantis still orgasming about MHW's announcement, and the explosion of years and years of frustration in seeing the so-undeserving Nintendo fans speaking of a franchise they never had any right to play because...because it feels so wrong - lol, who plays MH, it doesn't matter; it only matters that it's back to Sony-mama, the only one who can feed me with joy and enthusiasm. Make Japan Great Again, my love; ignore it so you can make it great again!
> An remarkable, interesting and deeply life-changing cat-like fight on Nintendo's and Sony's expectations for the next future, through a well-not-thought re-definition of the generations concept, which is so important right now as PS4 Pro and Xbox One X certainly aren't signs of abandoning the traditional generations concept for something less defined and more fluid.

I guess that's an accurate summary.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
> Monster Hunter World creating an insane amount of shameless fanboy fight between the sides (THE MH FRANCHISE IS USELESS! NINTENDO DOESN'T NEED IT! THE WEST IS GOING TO SAVE IT! WE ESCAPED THE HANDHELD GHETTO!)
> doom on Switch's third party support because OF COURSE it will never improve, OF COURSE Sony-sama has everything they deserve, OF COURSE third parties will NEVER, EVER consider another platform to release their games on outside of Sony-sama, OF COURSE the current and on-going Switch's success is irrelevant and also EACH AND EVERYONE of Nintendo's former exclusive franchises are coming to Sony platforms as well including a brand like Taiko that has NEVER been on a Sony platform (if you ignore PS2. And PSP. And Vita. But Sony ignores the Vita too, so that's understandable)
> Psycho_Mantis still orgasming about MHW's announcement, and the explosion of years and years of frustration in seeing the so-undeserving Nintendo fans speaking of a franchise they never had any right to play because...because it feels so wrong - lol, who plays MH, it doesn't matter; it only matters that it's back to Sony-mama, the only one who can feed me with joy and enthusiasm. Make Japan Great Again, my love; ignore it so you can make it great again!
> An remarkable, interesting and deeply life-changing cat-like fight on Nintendo's and Sony's expectations for the next future, through a well-not-thought re-definition of the generations concept, which is so important right now as PS4 Pro and Xbox One X certainly aren't signs of abandoning the traditional generations concept for something less defined and more fluid.

I guess that's enough.
Is this a meltdown?

I'd love to see a new Level 5, a developer who just gets the current market trends and rides to success with their first self-published games. Kinda miss the DS days in that regard.

It's much more difficult due to the amount of staff needed to fund a project these days. I would say Nier is like medium sized breakout given how it's performed thus far. But the DS PSP days are dead forever unless indie software takes another huge step forward in Japan since that's the only chance volume wise that we can get that kin of output.

casiopao

Seeing how Nintendo is being so agressive with their upcoming new IP's, i am going to bet that Ninty had higher chance coming out with another breakout title in the future.^^

For other devs, mobile is much better platform for success.

Busaiku

I mean, I guess Monster Hunter World by itself wouldn't do it, but people are also expecting Monster Hunter XX to underperforming.
If the last 3 releases (including the 3DS game) do under 3.5 million (it's unlikely Monster Hunter World would do over a million), that definitely means that the IP is in trouble (not Capcom going out of business trouble, but Level 5 franchise fatigue trouble).
Also somewhat OT, but is the NPD releasing this week?
Reggie quoted NPD last week in his interview with Geoff, saying that Switch was the top hardware of May.

Oregano

As some point the mocking of this gets sad when you've got no receipts. Fact is there's no major third party IPs that are exclusive to Nintendo and plenty that are exclusive to Sony and you can't argue against that point.

E3 came and went with nothing as well, I distinctly remember being told we should wait for it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
As some point the mocking of this gets sad when you've got no receipts. Fact is there's no major third party IPs that are exclusive to Nintendo and plenty that are exclusive to Sony and you can't argue against that point.

E3 came and went with nothing as well, I distinctly remember being told we should wait for it.

You keep moving goalposts to fit your DOOM narrative. A month ago your argument was literally that Switch was getting no significant support. Now its just about exclusives.

I would encourage you to take a comprehensive look at PS4's 1st 9-10 months of Japanese third party support and get back to me.

Loris146

I mean, I guess Monster Hunter World by itself wouldn't do it, but people are also expecting Monster Hunter XX to underperforming.
If the last 3 releases (including the 3DS game) do under 3.5 million (it's unlikely Monster Hunter World would do over a million), that definitely means that the IP is in trouble (not Capcom going out of business trouble, but Level 5 franchise fatigue trouble).

Reggie quoted NPD last week in his interview with Geoff, saying that Switch was the top hardware of May.

Really? I only heard about MK being the best "single" SKU of the month.

casiopao

Again. A not even 6 month platform vs more than 3 year platform.

Oregano

You keep moving goalposts to fit your DOOM narrative. A month ago your argument was literally that Switch was getting no significant support. Now its just about exclusives.

It's a separate point but what significant support is Switch getting?

MHXX is still the biggest thing announced for it and it doesn't look like there's anything bigger any time soon.

EDIT:
Again. A not even 6 month platform vs more than 3 year platform.

Do you think PS5 will be lacking those PS-exclusive franchises 6 months in? Whether released or announced.

Datschge

It's much more difficult due to the amount of staff needed to fund a project these days. I would say Nier is like medium sized breakout given how it's performed thus far. But the DS PSP days are dead forever unless indie software takes another huge step forward in Japan since that's the only chance volume wise that we can get that kin of output.
I personally think similar breakouts would still be possible (budget and staff size is not a limitation but a matter of ideas and planning). What works against them is the availability of digital stores. Such new efforts will all be digital only to reduce risks thus inherently limiting the potential of becoming a social phenomenon. And if you go digital while wanting to become a phenomenon you go mobile phone for the largest possible audience.

Gradivus

Did he say that? I remember him saying Mario Kart was the highest selling single entry game of the month.

schuelma

It's a separate point but what significant support is Switch getting?

MHXX is still the biggest thing announced for it and it doesn't look like there's anything bigger any time soon.

DQXI

SMT

Monster Hunter

You can put your hands over your ears all you want but those are significant franchises. There have also been mid tier stuff announced but I won't even attempt that argument with you.

Again- I'm asking you- look at PS4's 1st 9-10 month releases and make an argument that Switch support is worse.

Busaiku

Switch support seems to be following the trend of Wii, rather than typical Nintendo handhelds, for most publishers.
Capcom, Namco Bandai, and so on are more focused on PS4 development, and may even have been caught off guard by it's success. It's doubtful they have any significant projects in the works, just the lower risk ports. By the time they could be ready to go all in on Switch, it'll likely be too late for them or the system itself.
Really? I only heard about MK being the best "single" SKU of the month.

Did he say that? I remember him saying Mario Kart was the highest selling single entry game of the month.
You guys are probably right, and I misquoted him.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

I guess that's an accurate summary.

wait, did you have a meltdown when typing, mpl90

man, cant believe crash and mhw are responsible for breaking people, are those games that powerful?

Datschge

Seeing how Nintendo is being so agressive with their upcoming new IP's, i am going to bet that Ninty had higher chance coming out with another breakout title in the future.^^
Yeah, Nintendo appears to have taken the right lessons in the last couple gens. Meanwhile 3rd parties are increasingly MIA pretty much everywhere. The arrival of new gens used to be the time new IPs are tried, this has significantly diminished in the last couple gens.

Oregano

DQXI

SMT

Monster Hunter

You can put your hands over your ears all you want but those are significant franchises. There have also been mid tier stuff announced but I won't even attempt that argument with you.

Again- I'm asking you- look at PS4's 1st 9-10 month releases and make an argument that Switch support is worse.

DQXI is a late port and MHXX is a late port and made obsolete by the announcement of MHW which is skipping the platform. SMT you have a point but that's smaller than Yakuza(which the PS4 launched with).

PS4 might not have had many big releases but it had the promise of FFXV and KH3 which are bigger than the Switch lineup alone. I'll admit that Switch is beating PS4 in volume of releases so far but nearly everything is insignificant.

Switch support seems to be following the trend of Wii, rather than typical Nintendo handhelds, for most publishers.
Capcom, Namco Bandai, and so on are more focused on PS4 development, and may even have been caught off guard by it's success. It's doubtful they have any significant projects in the works, just the lower risk ports. By the time they could be ready to go all in on Switch, it'll likely be too late for them or the system itself.

You guys are probably right, and I misquoted him.

That's pretty much exactly what I've been saying. IF third parties get around to supporting Switch it will be too late to have any real impact.

schuelma

I'll admit that Switch is beating PS4 in volume of releases so far but nearly everything is insignificant.

t.

In 2014 PS4 had a grand total of three Japanese 3rd party releases that sold more than 50K.

You continue to drastically overstate PS4's support to further your narrative.

Calm Mind

The lack of portability will do more harm to the MonHun series than XX ever did. And that theoretical 2019 MonHun game for the Switch might be too late to repair the damage.

EDarkness

DQXI

SMT

Monster Hunter

Gotta admit, man, the NS 3rd party situation isn't looking good at all. Sure, they scored a couple of key games, but Dragon Quest XI is releasing later than the PS4/3DS versions and we have no idea how much later or what is included in the package. Monster Hunter quite possibly got it's legs cut from under it with the announcement of Monster Hunter Worlds. We don't know anything about SMT and it may well be multi-platform. No real support from many of the big players in the game and in the West it's even worse. Level 5 keeps talking about support, but seems like every time we hear from them they're talking about they don't know what to do with the system. I mean, how could they have trouble figuring out how to bring Layton over when they can use gyro aiming to simulate the touch screen stuff?

Capcom isn't really doing anything for the system. Square Enix may be trying, but I wouldn't call their support stellar. Bandai Namco is all over the place and seems to be doing things in some random way. So they announce Xenoverse 2 and One Piece, which is cool. But the latest Dragon Ball fighting game isn't coming. Code Vein isn't coming. Ace Combat isn't coming. List goes on and on. So their support is strange.

You're right, things change, but we have to look at what's going on now. People said wait for E3. We did that and nothing really changed. Next, wait for Tokyo Game Show? If someone is looking for third party games on the NS, then they will be disappointed.

Renna Hazel

From a gameplay standpoint, what makes portability so important to the MH franchise? What would I be missing out on by playing it on a PS4?

schuelma

You're right, things change, but we have to look at what's going on now. People said wait for E3. We did that and nothing really changed. Next, wait for Tokyo Game Show? If someone is looking for third party games on the NS, then they will be disappointed.

I don't know why I bother, but I would again implore you and Oregano to look at the actual data of what PS4 initial support looked like. And on a related note, stop comparing a 3 month old system to a system in its 4th year.

Top Bottom