• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2014 (Jun 23 - Jun 29)

Shizuka

sörine;119824100 said:
It was 1.7m worldwide, 600k of which was DS. It had to have shipped near 200k total in Japan so I don't see how that's possible?

Who knows, it's been long enough for the game to go over that milestone, specially with constant sales.

jeremy1456

There is a good amount of digital sales due to shortages of the retail version at launch. As for what that number is, I'm not sure.

It currently sits at 4.1 million shipped since when ever this updated: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

That's always going to be an issue when developers switch platforms. MHP3 was released after the fanbase was crazy installed on the PSP. I'm expecting MH5 to do even better on the 3DS now that this is where the fanbase resides.

Shizuka

sörine;119833631 said:
Those numbers are as of March 2014. Where are you getting over a million sold in the west from?

Can't you gather from my previous post that it's a based speculation from the last time they reported sales?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Can't you gather from my previous post that it's a based speculation from the last time they reported sales?

You're backpedaling now, this is what you wrote in the last page:

It did sold over a million copies in the West alone, Namco should fund a sequel.

Seems like a statement to me, nowhere you make it even slightly clear that you're just guessing and it would have remained so if it weren't for the fact people kept second guessing your "data".
For reference, next time please don't pull numbers out of your ass without making it clear you're just posting baseless speculations, thanks.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Monster Hunter's got a lot more competition now, so it's never gonna hit those highs again.

Especially on 3DS its one of many multi million sellers, while it was the only million selling IP on PSP.

nightever

Bandai-Namco have been a great supporter for the Nintendo 3DS. Dragon Ball Z is coming up, Tales of the World in October. I'm positive we will see another Toei Animation property for 3DS, most likely Sailor Moon.

A port of a mobile game make NB a good supporter?

cw_sasuke

And the Run for Money games, the Taiko games...
Still most of the stuff is rather low budget or low effort - wouldn't kill them to try a God Eater type action game on 3DS. But yeah compared to publishers like Konami they are more invested in 3DS.

Orgen

Still most of the stuff is rather low budget or low effort - wouldn't kill them to try a God Eater type action game on 3DS. But yeah compared to publishers like Konami they are more invested in 3DS.

One Piece: Unlimited Red? (it was a 3DS exclusive last Christmas)

Besides I was only remarking that Bandai Namco is a good 3DS supporter and not only does mobile ports ;D

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Gibson: "Famitsu/Kadokawa announced Mario Kart 8 sold 512,467 copies in June in Japan".

While that's useful to folks outside of this thread, it's less useful for those inside this thread considering that info is in the first post =).

I don't remember the exact number, but it was almost over a million in the West at the beginning of the year, I think.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/07/ni-kuni-wrath-white-witch-shipped-1-1-million-units/

PS3 SKU has shipped 1.1 million. This was in March 2014. Its also a jrpg something retailers won't over buy on so I doubt the sold number is different. Its also been in many ridiculous PSN sales (£3.99 right now!).

I have no doubt that its sold more than a million in the West.

With that much sold its up there with Dark Cloud iirc.

Level 5 would be crazy not to pursue a million selling series.

RalchAC

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/07/ni-kuni-wrath-white-witch-shipped-1-1-million-units/

PS3 SKU has shipped 1.1 million. This was in March 2014. Its also a jrpg something retailers won't over buy on so I doubt the sold number is different. Its also been in many ridiculous PSN sales (£3.99 right now!).

Don't mention Dark Cloud. It hurst that we haven't got a new one in years :(

Bamco is the Level-5 "de facto" publisher in the West, right?

Don't mention Dark Cloud. It hurst that we haven't got a new one in years :(

Bamco is the Level-5 "de facto" publisher in the West, right?

Dark Cloud was a gem and 2 was great as well.

Level 5 has a tradition of making a console jrpg every gen for playstation it seems and interestingly they decide to make new IP's each time. I mean Dark Cloud sold quite well and yet WKC was introduced. I applaud them for that, they are willing to take risks, try new things, something the bigger Japanese console pubs seem to have lost.

If L5 do have a PS4 jrpg in the works then I could see it pub being either Sony or Namco, most likely Sony if its an exclusive series like WKC or Dark Cloud.

cw_sasuke

Dark Cloud was a gem and 2 was great as well.

Level 5 has a tradition of making a console jrpg every gen for playstation it seems and interestingly they decide to make new IP's each time. I mean Dark Cloud sold quite well and yet WKC was introduced. I applaud them for that, they are willing to take risks, try new things, something the bigger Japanese console pubs seem to have lost.

If L5 do have a PS4 jrpg in the works then I could see it pub being either Sony or Namco, most likely Sony if its an exclusive series like WKC or Dark Cloud.

Eh.....they havent been developing games for other publishers for years know and i dont see them changing their approach anytime soon. Tthey are pushing their own IPs on handheld and mobile nowadays, with the option to port or release spin-offs on consoles. Dont expect any kind of WKC/Dark Cloud games anytime soon, when their staff could be working on the next Yokai Watch like success.

L5s PS4 title might just be Wonder Flick.

Takao

Banned
I don't see WKC's existence as some kind of altruistic attempt at "new" but rather a result of Dark Cloud 2 selling worse than its predecessor and Rogue Galaxy not being very popular. SCE and Level-5 thought they could do better, but continued to reach new lows.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
WKC would have been a lot better with the first title if they didnt try to shoe horn in the online mechanics at the last minute...

sörine

Banned

At 1.1m shipped, it should be around 900k in the west. These were the numbers I was referencing earlier.

It's close to a million but not quite there yet. What was the last npd update we had on it?

BriBri

Am I seriously reading people doubt Bandai Namco Games's 3DS support?

Kouenji Joshi Soccer 3 announced for 3DS

Post E3 3DS retail announcements now stand as:-
Final Fantasy Explorers
SF Dotabata Party!!
Elminage Ibun: Ame no Mihashira
Bokukan Airport Kansai International Airport Hero 3D SKY STORY
Farming Simulator 14: Pocket Farm 2
Kanji Aptitude Testing Foundation for Kanken Training
The LEGO Movie Videogame
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
12 Years Old
Dolly Kanon
Magic Mahocole ☆ Idol Collection
and Kouenji Joshi Soccer 3

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Today on "these traditional Japanese publishers sure are hobo companies these days" watch, Sega is having gumi bring their iOS/Android titles to the West, starting with Chain Chronicle: http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...s-gumi-Bring-Hit-Japanese-Titles#.U7q4-PldV8G

Yes, Sega feels that gumi, a Japanese based mobile company that half the people in this thread have probably never heard of, is actually vastly more qualified to launch their games in the West than themselves.

BusinessWire said:
SAN FRANCISCO & TOKYO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--SEGA Networks Co., Ltd. and gumi Inc. (gumi) today announced a partnership to distribute SEGA Networks’ Japanese game titles in North America, Europe, South Asia and other territories. Gamers can expect the first of these titles later this year with the launch of the popular Japanese RPG Chain Chronicle. Both companies are collaborating in order to provide localized support for player preferences, languages and gameplay environments.

SEGA Networks was established in July 2012 to distribute mobile games based on SEGA’s legendary franchises as well as those based on new intellectual property. Recent hits include the puzzle-RPG Puyo Puyo!! Quest, which reached more than 10 million downloads in Japan, and Chain Chronicle, which has remained in the Top Grossing category on the App Store and Google Play. Chain Chronicle allows gamers to become a soldier who builds an army and fights to protect the imaginary land of “Yugdo” from the menacing Black Army. As the game advances, players begin to unravel each member’s story to create a long chain of chronicles where all are connected.

gumi’s subsidiary Alim Co., Ltd. launched the hit title Brave Frontier for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Android smartphones and tablets in 55 countries including North America, Europe, Japan and South Asia, demonstrating that Japanese-developed content can achieve success on a global scale.

“The alliance and capital investment in gumi will lead to more of our popular Japanese games making the leap to markets around the globe, starting with one of our biggest hits, Chain Chronicle,” said Haruki Satomi, CEO of SEGA Networks. “The publishing experience and support that gumi can provide for this genre of games has already been proven with the success of Brave Frontier and we’re confident in their ability to execute.”

If I had to rank:

Dark Cloud > Ni No Kuni > DC2 > WKC
image.php

Today on "these traditional Japanese publishers sure are hobo companies these days" watch, Sega is having gumi bring their iOS/Android titles to the West, starting with Chain Chronicle: http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...s-gumi-Bring-Hit-Japanese-Titles#.U7q4-PldV8G

Yes, Sega feels that gumi, a Japanese based mobile company that half the people in this thread have probably never heard of, is actually vastly more qualified to launch their games in the West than themselves.

Good move.

RalchAC

If I had to rank:

Dark Cloud > Ni No Kuni > DC2 > WKC

The original Dark Cloud is a lovely clunky game. It can feel somewhat dated in some aspects, but is still as awesome as ever. I need to replay it. Got an original copy like 2 years ago in a GameStop second hand. I originally played it with a friend borrowed copy. I need to do some extra PS2 game hunting, but not much money available now. It'd be great if I found DC2 too.

I don't like Ni no Kuni and I haven't played WKC. Is it worth my money?

At least they have Europe in mind. I haven't been able to give a try to Puzzle and Dragon's (I kind of want to know what the fuss is about) because GungHo hasn't released in on EU Android yet

I don't get it.

Don't get me wrong WKC is still an okay jrpg.

The original Dark Cloud is a lovely clunky game. It can feel somewhat dated in some aspects, but is still as awesome as ever. I need to replay it. Got an original copy like 2 years ago in a GameStop second hand. I originally played it with a friend borrowed copy. I need to do some extra PS2 game hunting, but not much money available now. It'd be great if I found DC2 too.

I don't like Ni no Kuni and I haven't played WKC. Is it worth my money?

At least they have Europe in mind. I haven't been able to give a try to Puzzle and Dragon's (I kind of want to know what the fuss is about) because GungHo hasn't released in on EU Android yet

Ni No Kuni is like £3.99 on sale. Theres no reason to not try it at that price.

If you want to get WKC get WKC 2. It includes the first game as well and improvements much needed.

WKC has a great battle system. Its like FF12, graphics and art style are quite good, plenty of places and locales to explore, many large towns to explore with lots of npcs.......really the only reason I'm not fond of it is due to the horrible story and forgettable characters.

Oh and it has Georama. You can build your own town or city, recruit npc's depending on what materials you get, have people online visit your town or visit theirs and go on 4 player quests together. Kind of like Dark Cloud. Online serves have shut down though.

RalchAC

Sorry for the off-topic guys. We don't have Tsuyata + COMG rating yet, right?

I don't get it.

Don't get me wrong WKC is still an okay jrpg.

Ni No Kuni is like £3.99 on sale. Theres no reason to not try it at that price.

I bought it at 6€ in a sale like 2 months ago. Played around 20 hours and didn't like it. I tried to force myself to go through it, but I can't say I was enjoying what I played.

I don't get it.If you want to get WKC get WKC 2. It includes the first game as well and improvements much needed.

WKC has a great battle system. Its like FF12, graphics and art style are quite good, plenty of places and locales to explore, many large towns to explore with lots of npcs.......really the only reason I'm not fond of it is due to the horrible story and forgettable characters.

Oh and it has Georama. You can build your own town or city, recruit npc's depending on what materials you get, have people online visit your town or visit theirs and go on 4 player quests together. Kind of like Dark Cloud. Online serves have shut down though.

I may look for a cheap copy of WKC2 then. They must be quite cheap if the online servers have shut down.

ohlawd

you're all wrong

DC2 > DC1 >>>> WKC > shit > NNK

on topic: good for Sega. Shame about the mobile running though.

If mobile is were they feel the money is can we call it hobo?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Weren't Sonic Jump and Dash somewhat hits?

Let me rephrase. Major revenue changing hits. gumi reached pretty far up the top grossing charts in the US to the point where they might have been making $500K-$1 million on some individual days.

If mobile is were they feel the money is can we call it hobo?

I'm calling them hobo because they need gumi to publish their games in the West despite Sega having a large scale Western branch that's been in operation for vastly longer than gumi's.

Like they're failing on a basic "I need to give away a healthy chunk of my profits to gumi because I don't think I can nearly as successfully launch my mobile games as well as this other company that's also Japanese and put out their first major game in the West about six months ago." level.

It's not like they're lacking in local distribution arms and need someone to ship the product to stores, but rather they don't think they can handle supporting and marketing the game well through digital delivery, which is what they've restructured the entire company to focus on.

Let me rephrase. Major revenue changing hits. gumi reached pretty far up the top grossing charts in the US to the point where they might have been making $500K-$1 million on some individual days.

I'm calling them hobo because they need gumi to publish their games in the West despite Sega having a large scale Western branch that's been in operation for vastly longer than gumi's.

Like they're failing on a basic "I need to give away a healthy chunk of my profits to gumi because I don't think I can nearly as successfully launch my mobile games as well as this other company that's also Japanese and put out their first major game in the West about six months ago." level.

It's not like they're lacking in local distribution arms and need someone to ship the product to stores, but rather they don't think they can handle supporting and marketing the game well through digital delivery, which is what they've restructured the entire company to focus on.

so they restructured to do something but end up outsourcing? Okay then hobo fits

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
so they restructured to do something but end up outsourcing? Okay then hobo fits

Well, in Japan they're actually making a lot of really successful mobile games and totally succeeding on that front.

However, that they don't feel confident in their ability to actually take this strength and export it despite having kept up a strong digital presence in the West isn't super inspiring.

Ultimately I suspect gumi will do a good job with this and Sega will likely benefit from the partnership, but the message it sends about Sega's new stature in the world is not super favorable.

If this was five years ago you would basically expect the opposite to be happening, with Sega publishing a bunch of Japanese mobile games from other developers in the West.

Opiate

Well, in Japan they're actually making a lot of really successful mobile games and totally succeeding on that front.

However, that they don't feel confident in their ability to actually take this strength and export it despite having kept up a strong digital presence in the West isn't super inspiring.

Ultimately I suspect gumi will do a good job with this and Sega will likely benefit from the partnership, but the message it sends about Sega's new stature in the world is not super favorable.

If this was five years ago you would basically expect the opposite to be happening, with Sega publishing a bunch of Japanese mobile games from other developers in the West.

I think it also suggests the general difficulty in producing mobile games for traditional gaming companies. It's fairly apparent at this point that being good at making a game for the Nintendo system or the Playstation does not necessarily mean you can saunter in to the mobile business and own the place.

I think a lot of people have a sense of mobile as "second class," but it clearly requires its own expertise, both in development and marketing. It's not as if mobile gaming is the minor leagues, where players from the "majors" (i.e. established PC/console developers) can expect to walk in and immediately dominate. Mobile development requires a different skillset rather than an inferior one.

Top Bottom