• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2013 (Jul 01 - Jul 07)

javac

If Sonic had system moving power Sega wouldn'r be out of business ;)

True true lol. Kinda crazy if you think about it. He's one of the most recognised gaming mascots and most marketable characters for kids etc. He seems to do well enough in the west too these days.

Do you think it's the Nintendo mascots or Sonic & Co or a mixture of both that makes the Olympic games sell so well? I always saw it as a sonic game lol.

True true lol. Kinda crazy if you think about it. He's one of the most recognised gaming mascots and most marketable characters for kids etc. He seems to do well enough in the west too these days.

Do you think it's the Nintendo mascots or Sonic & Co or a mixture of both that makes the Olympic games sell so well? I always saw it as a sonic game lol.

I'd say the Sega&Mario ones are perfect match of family friendly gameplay + wide range of well known mascotts plus they were on platforms with a lot of preteen kids.

Tenki

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

It is.You can find it easily on the net

Also at hachima, there was a news anout Pikmin moving some hardware for wiiu
http://mantan-web.jp/2013/07/16/20130716dog00m200030000c.html
That's the weekly Tsutaya report.

Google Transfu:

- Pikmin 3 sales comparable to Mario U at launch (Famitsu:
170k lol
), moved hardware
- Youkai Watch sold more than LBX Boost (Famitsu: 55k)
- EDF4 showing legs
- Next week: M&L4 > P3 > LBX W

Frodo

That's the weekly Tsutaya report.

Google Transfu:

- Pikmin 3 sales comparable to Mario U at launch (Famitsu:
170k lol
), moved hardware
- Youkai Watch sold more than LBX Boost (Famitsu: 55k)
- EDF4 showing legs
- Next week: M&L4 > P3 > LBX W

So.... comparable to NSMBU? All my predictions for this month are completely wrong, then! Good for Nintendo and EDF, I guess :p

(And most of the predictions of the Prediction League would be way off too)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So.... comparable to NSMBU? All my predictions for this month are completely wrong, then! Good for Nintendo and EDF, I guess :p

(And most of the predictions of the Prediction League too)

This is one chain in Japan

Kid Ying

Are they just talking about their stores?
Yes. It's only about Tsutaya. For other ones, i think it was on Azalyn that there was a couple of stores where Pikmin was sold out. Either way, we still have to wait for numbers to gather the impact. At least, since Pikmin and Luigy were launched in the end of the week, we can expect two weeks of good sales for the wiiu.

Hope they manage to get some momentum till W101. Really want for this to be a sucess.

Cygnus X-1

This is not surprising. To the older people here: do you remember the N64's syndrome? So few games came out on the system, but regularly each few months. Result: people bought in larger than usual quantity the few good games.

Pikmin 3 is probably benefitting from the general lack of games. It will probably not move lot of hardware after its first week though.

This is not surprising. To the older people here: do you remember the N64's syndrome? So few games came out on the system, but regularly each few months. Result: people bought in larger than usual quantity the few good games.

Pikmin 3 is probably benefitting from the general lack of games. It will probably not move lot of hardware after its first week though.

Kinda like the Vita too with its hardware spikes when something notable releases then goes down after 2-3 weeks.

Kid Ying

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that W101 will bomb.
Maybe will. maybe certainly will, but we have to wait till august to see what Nintendo will do about the marketing's game. We know they pushed Pikmin 3 quite severely. If Nintendo makes the same for W101, it might have a chance.

What i think it's really going to bomb is Yakuza. I know we shouldn't gauge sales from amazon, but i think it's useful to see the demand and Yakuza was always like in the 3000 spot at those rankings. W101 launch is 2 weeks later and never was that low.

allan-bh

Maybe will. maybe certainly will, but we have to wait till august to see what Nintendo will do about the marketing's game. We know they pushed Pikmin 3 quite severely. If Nintendo makes the same for W101, it might have a chance.

What i think it's really going to bomb is Yakuza. I know we shouldn't gauge sales from amazon, but i think it's useful to see the demand and Yakuza was always like in the 3000 spot at those rankings. W101 launch is 2 weeks later and never was that low.

It's Nintendo, so, basically nothing, Kamiya already realized that.

And Yakuza will definitely bomb hard and Sega will use this to justify Yakuza 6 exclusivity on Playstation.

Yeah if pikmin 3 along with nslu fail to move a good amount of hardware its going to be a terrible sign that they cant get more than the current audience interested. This is the biggest week for wiiu posibly until december assuming no price drop. Wiiu will have to ride out another 5 months of no games that can reach 250k.

schuelma

Wiiu will have to ride out another 5 months of no games that can reach 250k.

Well, I think that is kind of a stretch.

Zelda Wind Waker is end of September.

Wii Fit U, Wii U Party, and DKCR: could conceivably hit before SM3DW (and I would expect 2 of them to make it before)

hiska-kun

For W101 we should wait until Lego numbers in two weeks. Nintendo is pushing the game now in Japan. So if this game sells "well", W101 has the chance to sell better.

Well means more than 50k LTD.

It probably will, unless Nintendo really steps up advertising in August.
Wasn't Nintendo barely advertising Pikmin 3 until about two weeks until launch. Unless we are talking about direct and e3 exposure which has been fairly abysmal on Nintendo's part. However, I'm not sure if Nintendo really would send it to die given how starved Wii U is for games. I know that was sort of their MO for small wii/ds games.

People think WW HD based on one of the least popular entries as an HD port is going to sell more than 250k?That would be a huge success for it. Also I think the wii series is dead. And donkey kong has no japanese date. Console Zelda has not been particularly popular and I don't see a potential full price port changing that. If Donkey Kong launches in November it should do it though.

Edit: and 101 hitting 150k would be a shock to me.

schuelma

Wasn't Nintendo barely advertising Pikmin 3 until about two weeks until launch. Unless we are talking about direct and e3 exposure which has been fairly abysmal on Nintendo's part. However, I'm not sure if Nintendo really would send it to die given how starved Wii U is for games. I know that was sort of their MO for small wii/ds games.

I think Nintendo will advertise it in Japan- It will be getting its own Direct, which is somewhat unusual, and I'm positive it will get TV ads if LEGO City did.

My concern is that Nintendo's advertising strategy might not work out as well for a game like W101. I believe Kamiya's complaint about Nintendo's advertising dealt with the traditional advertising still relevant in Japan- magazine coverage and in-store advertising. I don't believe Nintendo has been doing that with W101 and I have a feeling that type of advertising would have been helpful.

schuelma

People think WW HD based on one of the least popular entries as an HD port is going to sell more than 250k?Console Zelda has not been particularly popular and I don't see a potential full price port changing that. If Donkey Kong launches in November it should do it though.

I don't think it is a lock or anything, but I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility- Wind Waker sold significantly more than Twilight Princess on a much lower userbase.

Also I think the wii series is dead. .

I am quite sure the "Wii" series will see major major declines, but with how high the originals sold you could see huge declines and still cross the relatively low barrier of 250K.

And donkey kong has no japanese date.

True- the first one arrived pretty much simultaneously in Japan and I can't imagine Nintendo won't have it ready for this year. Obviously could be wrong on that one though.

L Thammy

I wasn't including Nintendo Land as it's a pack-in for a lot/most of the consoles.

I thought Nintendo Land wasn't available as a pack-in in Japan.

As far as I know, the only Western games that do well are GTA, COD and Naughty Dog games. Ratchet and Clank used to do well.

Okay, but why do those succeed while others have failed? That's my question. Do the Japanese look at their list of acceptable Western titles and say "It's not on here, we're not going to buy it"? Just Dance also did extremely well; I believe that was due to localization.

Sonic sells horriblly in JP for whatever reason, even the Wii games did like 5k FW.

There's probably more PC Engine nostalgia than Mega Drive nostalgia over there.

I am quite sure the "Wii" series will see major major declines, but with how high the originals sold you could see huge declines and still cross the relatively low barrier of 250K.

True. I think if Nintendo can at least average 10k a week until November it would be good. Dropping back to 5k in down weeks would be bad. I still dont think the japanese lineup is particularly good, but on the bright side its better than vita 2012 fall.

Any new sources for Famitsu leaks? I remember the popular one before gave up a couple of months ago. Does Famitsu now leak out on Wednesday mornings (EST)?

I see W101 surprising a lot of people. While completely different genres, it bears some semblance to Pikmin 3 specifically in where you control a crowd of characters to solve puzzles and explore the landscape, so I see it piggybacking on some of Pikmin's momentum.

Kandinsky

Prediction time!

95k Pikmin 3
23k WiiU

My reasoning for the low WiiU numbers is I think Pikmin will fail to attract new users and it will sell mostly to Nintendo fans who already got the system. W101 will end up moving more consoles imo.

Prediction time!

95k Pikmin 3
23k WiiU

My reasoning for the low WiiU numbers is I think Pikmin will fail to attract new users and it will sell mostly to Nintendo fans who already got the system. W101 will end up moving more consoles imo.

What about the White Deluxe? (and NSLU)

I see W101 surprising a lot of people. While completely different genres, it bears some semblance to Pikmin 3 specifically in where you control a crowd of characters to solve puzzles and explore the landscape, so I see it piggybacking on some of Pikmin's momentum.

But pikmin's momentum will have evaporated by the time it comes out. That's the whole problem with the wiiu lineup. It's so barren

onipex

That's about what I expect. I don't see that many people holding out for Pikmin or running to get the white bundle.

90k Pikmin 3
20k Wii U

guek

Banned
Sad that a 30k+ Wii U number in the week of the first "major" release in months would be considered surprisingly good ;_;

Sad that a 30k+ Wii U number in the week of the first "major" release in months would be considered surprisingly good ;_;
Its the start. Increased advertising and a major release every three weeks is the start. Recovery never starts at 60k and stays that way.

I don't see it surprising anyone.

I'm sure it could sell decently for a couple weeks, but I doubt it will cause a sustained hardware boost or sell large numbers itself.

Top Bottom