• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2017 (Jul 03 - Jul 09)

Zedark

For a while (up until a few months ago) Sony's claimed PSVR was facing big shortages in western markets despite retailers now having to offer free games and price cuts to move units.
Ah, I see. That sounds familiar. Pretty strange thing to do, since it was so demonstrably false.

What instance with Sony are you referring to? Can't recall a story of faked shortages.

Oh gosh I think it started during the PS3 days. I remember some exec at SCEA or SCEJ posted a challenge on twitter saying "no one will be able to find a PS3 in stores due to shortages" and that tweet caused a massive storm of people posting pictures of piles upon piles of PS3's at their local department store, calling him out on the "shortage" of PS3's. It was quite funny, and I wish I could find the GAF thread because thats where I remember seeing the story.

Graces was okay. Nothing to brag about, but at least it wasn't a pile of really embarassing garbage like anything that released after it, until Berseria.

I kinda feel like you didn't play Xillia 1 & 2 if you consider them embarrassing garbage compared to Graces F.

Both are equally good/bad depending on your tolerance for them. I mean, at least I didn't have to stomach 40 hours of "FRIENDSHIP WILL SAVE US" through Xillia :p

I feel like this series gathers internet rhetoric when people talk about them and it just gets endlessly repeated until people believe it to be true. It gets me most since I recently played through Graces -> Berseria over the past 6 months or so and there's no real quality fluctuations until Zestiria, which took a massive nosedive in story terms. Sure, Graces had some awful production values and Xillia's story felt a bit rushed, but there was nothing noticeable - certainly no "this one was okay and this one was embarrassing garbage"-esque changes in quality.

Takao

Banned
Oh gosh I think it started during the PS3 days. I remember some exec at SCEA or SCEJ posted a challenge on twitter saying "no one will be able to find a PS3 in stores due to shortages" and that tweet caused a massive storm of people posting pictures of piles upon piles of PS3's at their local department store, calling him out on the "shortage" of PS3's. It was quite funny, and I wish I could find the GAF thread because thats where I remember seeing the story.

That was Jack Tretton in pre-Twitter days https://www.engadget.com/2007/02/10/sonys-jack-tretton-and-the-1200-quote/

MisterR

Monster Hunter World will sell 5 million units in Japan, dethroning Portable 3rd as the franchise's best seller, and propelling PS4 to 20 million units LTD. This is based on the view count of a free video that was used as a preroll commercial.

For a while (up until a few months ago) Sony's claimed PSVR was facing big shortages in western markets despite retailers now having to offer free games and price cuts to move units.

There were certainly shortages for a long time in my area. Never saw one in the wild until recently .

Oregano

I kinda feel like you didn't play Xillia 1 & 2 if you consider them embarrassing garbage compared to Graces F.

Both are equally good/bad depending on your tolerance for them. I mean, at least I didn't have to stomach 40 hours of "FRIENDSHIP WILL SAVE US" through Xillia :p

I feel like this series gathers internet rhetoric when people talk about them and it just gets endlessly repeated until people believe it to be true. It gets me most since I recently played through Graces -> Berseria over the past 6 months or so and there's no real quality fluctuations until Zestiria, which took a massive nosedive in story terms. Sure, Graces had some awful production values and Xillia's story felt a bit rushed, but there was nothing noticeable - certainly no "this one was okay and this one was embarrassing garbage"-esque changes in quality.

Yeah but did you know that Courage is the magic that makes dreams a reality?

LordKano

I dunno, I didn't play Graces nor Xilia in a long time so maybe I'm just misremembering stuff and being unnecessarily harsher but I remember Xilia to be an actual chore to play while Graces had decent characters and was overall a supportable game.
I can't really defend one or the other, I barely remember them, not sure that's a good thing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Sandfox

The Xillia games was where the series started to frustrate me. The game was rushed and probably had it's budget slashed.

Orgen

PREDICTION LEAGUE DRAGON QUEST XI EDITION

Predict how much these titles will sell in the week (from Jul 24 to Jul 30):

[PS4] PlayStation 4 Hardware (7 days) - 77.000
[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (7 days) - 84.000
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 691.000
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 1.263.000

Is it hard to manufacture PSVR units? Shouldn't be much in the way of shortages if it sold 1 million only recently after 8 or so months.
I hope that is what it is...not sure if trolling or serious, but I don't know the poster.

I mean:

PS4 might outdo PS3. I think it has a decent chance of that.

In no world close to this one does it outdo 3DS.

I think a reasonable estimate for PS4 lifetime is somewhere around 10 million. Maybe 9 million. Maybe 11. But not much north of that. And that's half of 22 million.

As to Switch...we'll see. Switch is off to a better start and could be off to an even better start if it weren't so supply constrained. It also has more attractive fundamentals to the Japanese market we see today. So if PS4 sells ~10 million and Switch sells less than that...how is this something to celebrate? It would paint a very dire picture for Japanese console gaming
Nah, seems like JawBreaker to me
#ReturnOfTheKing

NimbusD

Only 3 Switch games in the top 20 and they're all just Nintendo published titles. Can we even begin to argue about the "nintendo audience" not buying third party games when Nintendo is handicapping software sales themselves with the meager amount of hardware making it to market?

The Switch demand hasnt been touching third parties lately even though the consensus seems to be that third parties are trying harder with their Nintendo versions of titles. Even ARMS is feeling the effects of low supply with its numbers dropping so much each week. It really seems like third party efforts are being completely wasted thanks to the current hardware situation. And that certainly isn't encouraging hesitant publishers to jump in sooner than later.
What games in specific are you talking about that have a physical release that deserve to be on there? Digital only games have been doing pretty well.

Ōkami

[PS2] Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation Vs. Zeon DX - 348.242
[DC] Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation Vs. Zeon DX - 13.614

[PS2] Mobile Suit Z Gundam: AEUG Vs. Eugo Titans - 314.508

[PS2] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Z Gundam - 186.424
[NGC] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Z Gundam - 18.440

[PS2] Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Federation Vs. Z.A.F.T. - 330.389

[PS2] Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny: Federation Vs. Z.A.F.T. II Plus - 328.019

[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Federation Vs. Z.A.F.T. Portable - 56.438

[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam - 240.594

[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus - 237.652

[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs - 345.053

[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost - 266.297

[PSV] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs-Force - 69.985

[PS4] Gundam Versus - 121.278

Only a late PSP downport and a terrible Vita game did worse. Lower first week than G Generation Genesis and all Gundam Breaker games.

Time for Super Robot Vs.

Have their been any kind of surveys as to what percentage of switch owners so far were wii u owners? As I'm wondering what effect it'll have on ports like pokken, while i can understand the majority double dipping on something likemario kart i doubt that'll be true for other games which will have to rely primarily on non wii u owners

Oregano

Have their been any kind of surveys as to what percentage of switch owners so far were wii u owners? As I'm wondering what effect it'll have on ports like pokken, while i can understand the majority double dipping on something likemario kart i doubt that'll be true for other games which will have to rely primarily on non wii u owners

Pokken is one of the few Wii U games I missed so I will be getting the Switch version.

ggx2ac

smaller model n3ds finally discontinued. not surprised considering n2dsll is released today.

Was wondering about that since N3DS was selling in the hundreds this week.

It makes sense to discontinue it, Japan and Europe were the markets that had regular N3DS units.

N3DS XL was still bigger than it in sales, so it's better to stop manufacturing it since it would be cheaper focusing on the XL models since they have similar components like screen and battery size.

Regular 2DS will most likely be next to stop producing, only because it uses the old 3DS SoC compared to N3DS XL/N2DS XL since it would help to continue selling stuff that require a N3DS: SNES VC, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and the other titles I forgot which are on the eShop that use Unity.

ggx2ac

Make it rain.

pokemon-go-revenue-per-download.png

https://sensortower.com/blog/pokemon-go-revenue-per-download

While the gross amount spent in Pokémon GO by Japanese players during its first year totaled approximately $318 million, it was the U.S. led overall revenue generation for the game with approximately $424 million of in-app purchases. However, when viewed in the all-important context of per-download monetization, it was nearly tied with Canada ($7.60) for second place.

To date, Pokémon GO has grossed nearly $1.2 billion in worldwide in-app revenue and has reached a unique install figure—one download per App Store or Google Play account—of almost 329 million.

Jubern

Sad for Gundam Versus...

Not exactly surprised though, after the EXVS Force debacle they had a lot to do to gain trust back and it doesn't look like they followed through.

casiopao

Sad for Gundam Versus...

Not exactly surprised though, after the EXVS Force debacle they had a lot to do to gain trust back and it doesn't look like they followed through.

The fact that they put vanilla Kimaris Vs Kimaris Vidar also makes the roster looks sad. Soo many underwhelming new suit chosen there.

casiopao

It's Asagi's time to shine!

Also, judging by their output for the past like 7 years, they could announce literally anything other than Disgaea lol.

For normal event i can see some of those random games but the event is a huge one right? So not announcing Disgaea which is their biggest money maker is going to be crazy lol.

gtj1092

Monster Hunter World will sell 5 million units in Japan, dethroning Portable 3rd as the franchise's best seller, and propelling PS4 to 20 million units LTD. This is based on the view count of a free video that was used as a preroll commercial.

What do shortages in the past have to do with price cuts now? Do you not recall the stories of frustrated Japanese owners not being able to get PSVR and the sporadic shipments?

For normal event i can see some of those random games but the event is a huge one right? So not announcing Disgaea which is their biggest money maker is going to be crazy lol.

A huge event like Final Fantasy's 30th Anniversary where we got all those massive game announcements! :p

Top Bottom