• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2013 (Jul 08 - Jul 14)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Come for the sales, stay for the meltdowns.
Desserts_triple_choc_meltdown.jpg

Just all round delicious.

GetemMa

They aren't exactly the same. Services differ, apps differ, controllers differ, libraries differ. As I see it, I have two consoles that are shit hot, and one that lags behind in every possible area.

A more pressing question should be, I already have two excellent consoles, why would I buy a mediocre console?

You have two "excellent consoles" that have the same apps (of any relevance) and have exactly the same library barring a few exclusives, for an entire gen. The only good reason to have both is if you really love Halo or Gears of War.

The rest of your reasoning is a classic example of putting hardware over games.

guek

Banned
Numbers are unfortunately in line with what I expected. Nintendo needs to start burning some cash now if they ever want to make money off of this thing in the long run.

Striek

In the meantime, Nintendo continues to support the 3DS, and everyone who bought a Wii U will get free games and a special edition Nintendo next gen system with the price of the Wii U discounted from the retail price.
Only a >$1 billion writeoff to the people most likely to buy their new system? Sounds very practical.

Road

Vita and Wii U taking the bar of "good sales" to new levels:

j8b96.jpg

By the time PS4 is released "good sales" will be anything over 1k per week.

Asymmetric gameplays of course will revolutionize gamming, or at least evolve it.
The fact that not every game uses this feature doesn't mean it isn't important. It's much more than what you will ever be able to do with a dual shock 4 so... yes, evolution.

Asymmetric gaming does not require an expensive gamepad to achieve.

With a robust online system (or LAN support) and an well integrated video/voice chat system, Nintendo can implement Asymmetric gaming for the titles that need it and not force all the titles to utilize the weird gamepad.

They can also do the MS and Sony apporach and utilize tablets that are already in people's homes.

Asymmetric gameplays of course will revolutionize gamming, or at least evolve it.
The fact that not every game uses this feature doesn't mean it isn't important. It's much more than what you will ever be able to do with a dual shock 4 so... yes, evolution.

Nintendo themselves can't do anything with it. Hence, the above picture. 3D World doesn't use it. Smash doesn't it use it. And I can guarantee you Zelda won't require it either.

I also disagree about asymmetric gaming being revolutionary. The only thing it fundamentally alters is multiplayer (hence nintendoland). In single player, just moving some inventory down from the screen onto the pad doesn't change much.

Unless you're a rabid fanboy, you should want failed consoles to end quickly.

I don't understand why people want Nintendo to turn Wii U into some zombie system where each and everyone one of their titles will be sub milion sellers in Japan.

It's not healthy for the industry.

So Nintendo should hold a press conference tomorrow and announce that they are ditching WiiU after 9 months on the market even although their development teams are currently working on a large number of games and they have announced release dates as far forward as Spring 2014 ?. Tell me you aren't serious lol...

And what do they tell the near 4 million customers who bought the console in it's first nine months, 'tough shit' ?. That would really help cementing an install base when they rushed out another console to say nothing of the negative press (including mainstream press) they would get for abandoning a console after less than a year on the market, their stocks would crash and they would find it very difficult to recover imo.

And I suppose you want the next Nintendo console to be x86 based and compete with at least XBO specs wise ?, which means there will be another round of delays to software while Nintendo learn to program for that language after working with the same basic hardware architecture for the past 12 years. The new system would also be closer to $400 than the $300 WiiU currently is.

For all the plans and expectations some of you have about Nintendo I just think most of you that constantly complain about them just don't like them full stop. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that but I personally wouldn't spend so much time posting about something I'm not interested in, esp when most of you are just repeating yourself for the 4000th time, there are far better things to do with your time tbh but hey, it's a free World.

For most of the group I mentioned, If WiiU was called the 'Nintendo 'insert cool name here', came with XBO like specs, a Pro controller as standard, Achievements, an amazing free online marketplace and full third party support your arguments would simply change to 'I get all of that from Sony & MS already and I prefer their exclusives anyway'. It truly puzzles me why people want three identical consoles except for exclusives.

I enjoy my WiiU but if I want a certain type of game / experice I simply turn my PS3 (soon to be PS4) on, there is absolutely no need for Nintendo to just copy whatever Sony and MS do hardware wise. The WiIU hardware is more than powerful enough for Nintendo's IP's.

Nintendo can't win with some of the people on here but I doubt they care, even the whole of GAF combined represents less than 0.0000000001% of the video game market.

At the end of the day if WiiU is $249 with a decent marketing campaign and the games that are coming in the next 18 months the system will recover 100%, the only unknown is to what degree will it recover, GC, N64 or half of Wii numbers.

Only a >$1 billion writeoff to the people most likely to buy their new system? Sounds very practical.

The price you pay to stay relevant in a competitive industry. Better to do that then end up like Sega.

If Nintendo wants, they don't have to discount the next gen system for current Wii U owners, but they should provide a free game and a special edition system.

SmokyDave

You have two "excellent consoles" that have the same apps (of any relevance) and have exactly the same library barring a few exclusives, for an entire gen. The only good reason to have both is if you really love Halo or Gears of War.
No, the only good reason to have both is that they're both great pieces of hardware with great services and great games. The library overlap is nowhere near as large as you suggest.

The rest of your reasoning is a classic example of putting hardware over games.
As I always do. I can get great games anywhere, that's not the case for great hardware.

With a robust online system (or LAN support) and an well integrated video/voice chat system, Nintendo can implement Asymmetric gaming for the titles that need it and not force all the titles to utilize the weird gamepad.

They can also do the MS and Sony apporach and utilize tablets that are already in people's homes.
Integrated video how? Asymmetric gaming at the same level the gamepad can offer is impossible through simple means. Of course, if you only think on multiplayer you can make asymmetric modes with distinct objectives for each player, but not in local multiplayer, and not at the same extend that having 2 independent screens allow.

ZombiU is absolutely impossible without that gameplay, and an evolution of traditional multiplayer modes on the right path.

So Nintendo should hold a press conference tomorrow and announce that they are ditching WiiU after 9 months on the market even although their development teams are currently working on a large number of games and they have announced release dates as far forward as Spring 2014 ?. Tell me you aren't serious lol...

And what do they tell the near 4 million customers who bought the console in it's first nine months, 'tough shit' ?. That would really help cementing an install base when they rushed out another console to say nothing of the negative press (including mainstream press) they would get for abandoning a console after less than a year on the market, their stocks would crash and they would find it very difficult to recover imo.

And I suppose you want the next Nintendo console to be x86 based and compete with at least XBO specs wise ?, which means there will be another round of delays to software while Nintendo learn to program for that language after working with the same basic hardware architecture for the past 12 years. The new system would also be closer to $400 than the $300 WiiU currently is.

For all the plans and expectations some of you have about Nintendo I just think most of you that constantly complain about them just don't like them full stop. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that but I personally wouldn't spend so much posting about something I'm not interested in, esp when most of you are just repearting yourself for the 4000th time, there are far better things to do with your time tbh but hey, it's a free World.

For most of the group I mentioned, If WiiU was called the 'Nintendo 'insert cool name here', came with XBO like specs, a Pro controller as standard, Acheievements, an amazing free online marketplace and full third party support your arguments would simply change to 'I get all of that from Sony & MS already and I prefer their exclusives anyway'. It truly puzzles me why people want three identical consoles except for exclusives.

I enjoy my WiiU but if I want a certain type of game / experice I simply turn my PS3 (soon to be PS4) on, there is absolutely no need for Nintendo to just copy whatever Sony and MS do hardware wise. The WiIU hardware is more than powerful enough for Nintendo's IP's.

Nintendo can't win with some of the people on here but I doubt they care, even the whole of GAF combined represents less than 0.0000000001% of the video game market.

At the end of the day if WiiU is $249 with a decent marketing campaign and the games that are coming in the next 18 months the system will recover 100%, the only unknown is to what degree will it recover, GC, N64 or half of Wii numbers.

images

Plenty of people like Nintendo first party and would buy such a system, perhaps even as their only one. By your logic, nobody should own both a ps3 and a 360, yet PLENTY of people on this forum do own both.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
With your 3ds.
Or a wiimote lol.

The game pad providing benefits isn't the issue, it's whether it's essential or could be sold separate for those benefits.
Could a wii mote provide offscreen play for when my mom is using the tv to watch lifetime?

For all the plans and expectations some of you have about Nintendo I just think most of you that constantly complain about them just don't like them full stop. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that but I personally wouldn't spend so time much posting about something I'm not interested in, esp when most of you are just repearting yourself for the 4000th time, there are far better things to do with your time tbh but hey, it's a free World.

For most of the group I mentioned, If WiiU was called the 'Nintendo 'insert cool name here', came with XBO like specs, a Pro controller as standard, Acheievements, an amazing free online marketplace and full third party support your arguments would simply change to 'I get all of that from Sony & MS already and I prefer their exclusives anyway'. It truly puzzles me why people want three identical consoles except for exclusives.

Very good points. But I ask you, aren't your points still very very valid for Nintendo 5 years from now? How does Nintendo prepare for next gen when they are so ill prepared for current gen and are doing all they can to revive the Wii U?

Nintendo needs to bite the bullet at some point and try to catch up to the industry. Otherwise they will only continue to fall behind and become irrelevant.

This may well be true. But when the general videogame market that they traditionally rely on doesn't give two shits about their current output, the distinction that you've mentioned in your post above between GAF and the aforementioned video game market becomes highly irrelevant.

GAF may as well be speaking for the general videogame market, with the Wii U's current state of affairs, worldwide.

GetemMa

The price you pay to stay relevant in a competitive industry. Better to do that then end up like Sega.

If Nintendo wants, they don't have to discount the next gen system for current Wii U owners, but they should provide a free game and a special edition system.

Sounds like a fine way to lose a bunch of money on current game development and manufacturing plus a great way to turn off loyal Nintendo customers, which is all they have right now, against Nintendo.

WiiU is the bed they will have to lie in for a while. Just like Gamecube. If the margins are there they won't lose a ton of money, only relevance, which can be regained with the right product.

Ditching the WiiU now would be an unnecessary move because there are more doable solutions. Like repackaging the hardware by making the Gamepad an optional peripheral, cutting the price to $250 and including NSMBU and Pro Controller. All the games they have coming would work fine with the pro controller.

vctor182

Asymmetric gameplay, lol, they wanted it to be the next big thing like motion gaming

hatchx

Banned
Nintendo themselves can't do anything with it. Hence, the above picture. 3D World doesn't use it. Smash doesn't it use it. And I can guarantee you Zelda won't require it either.

The gamepad should be used for contacting friends while in-game and other os functions.

AniHawk

it's a bit lower than what i expected from pikmin 3's debut (thought it'd be over 100k), but i also was expecting the usual 3-4 days of sales, since i didn't know it came out on saturday.

wii u hardware sales went up by quite a bit too given the franchise.

i think nintendo positioned the game in other territories better where it's closer to other releases. a price drop should help around september, i think. get it in there for w101, and have it there when wind waker and other first-party games hit.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Why do you and others like Kyon never ever post anything of value on these boards? It's like making inflammatory posts is all you use the internet for.

I get into debates and have long conversations with people on these boards often when I feel its worth the effort to type it all out and maybe we'll have an intellectual exchange and one of us will walk away with a different viewpoint.

But other times you just gotta watch the other type of folks distorted perception of reality unravel before them and the circus of entertainment it provides and enjoy where it goes.

I also assume you only ever see me in Nintendo threads and none of the many others I participate in. Thats on you.

starmud

Enough of the pikmin fan base will show up to push the game a bit more... It's sad to think this might be the lowest selling in the catalog. But truly, to keep the IP strong they should get a game on 3DS. With the level of graphical output possible, it's time for the franchise to hit their handheld.

So what do you suppose Nintendo do? Immediately abandoned the Wii U losing the customer faith of those who have bought it? Rush out a more "next-gen" system, guaranteed to have a worst launch? Or, move development of their current titles to even more powerful hardware and have twice the amount of trouble developing as they currently already are?

For all the plans and expectations some of you have about Nintendo I just think most of you that constantly complain about them just don't like them full stop. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that but I personally wouldn't spend so much time posting about something I'm not interested in, esp when most of you are just repeating yourself for the 4000th time, there are far better things to do with your time tbh but hey, it's a free World.

For most of the group I mentioned, If WiiU was called the 'Nintendo 'insert cool name here', came with XBO like specs, a Pro controller as standard, Achievements, an amazing free online marketplace and full third party support your arguments would simply change to 'I get all of that from Sony & MS already and I prefer their exclusives anyway'. It truly puzzles me why people want three identical consoles except for exclusives.

Great posts. Except for the bolded, which seems like you're supporting the idea that WiiU is only for Nintendo games. If you are truly expecting it to make a turn around and reach GC/N64/Half-Wii number, supporting this idea will not help them at all to reach that goal. That'll never happen under those circustances. Otherwise, totally agree.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
But other times you just gotta watch the other type of folks distorted perception of reality unravel before them and the circus of entertainment it provides and enjoy where it goes.

There really aren't too many posters doing this today though.

Cbajd5

I also disagree about asymmetric gaming being revolutionary. The only thing it fundamentally alters is multiplayer (hence nintendoland). In single player, just moving some inventory down from the screen onto the pad doesn't change much.

It should be obvious to anyone with half a brain that Smash and Kart wouldn't use the Gamepad exclusively (thus not really having any special features for it either) because if they did then they couldn't have local multiplayer. Since 3D World is multiplayer too it's obvious it wouldn't use it for anything too special either.

Now Zelda, more likely than not, will be a single player game. Which means it probably will require the Gamepad and thus it can be integrated in to the gameplay. (Of course, then people will complain about it like Skyward Sword using Motionplus.)

Dragon

Banned
The fact that you couldn't use the gamepad with multiplayer NSMB at launch on the WiiU showed early that Nintendo didn't know what they were doing with the thing.

92k sales on a system that has a 990k userbase is pretty good IMO. Especially for a Pikmin game.

10% of something small is still really small.

The fact that you couldn't use the gamepad with multiplayer NSMB at launch on the WiiU showed early that Nintendo didn't know what they were doing with the thing.

You still can't. Had to buy a second wiimote to play this game. That's almost the price of the game itself.

Snakeyes

Nope, you're wrong. I'd gladly make a Nintendo system my only one if its hardware and third party support were roughly on par with the other two. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who think that way as well.

dcdobson

Wait, did people actually think that Pikmin would move systems? Wasn't there a recent thread where we came to the conclusion that this wouldn't be the case? I don't see things turning around until the holidays, even with a price cut.

I also assume you only ever see me in Nintendo threads and none of the many others I participate in. Thats on you.

tumblr_m68uts8LTc1qaliojo1_500.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.

GetemMa

No, the only good reason to have both is that they're both great pieces of hardware with great services and great games. The library overlap is nowhere near as large as you suggest.

As I always do. I can get great games anywhere, that's not the case for great hardware.

A person can't get great Nintendo games anywhere but Nintendo consoles. I would rather own a PS4/WiiU than a PS4/Xbone. Easily. Nintendo's first party is far more valuable to me than Halo or Forza.

What are these "Great services" you are going on about anyway? Netflix? I can get netflix anywhere. My toilet has netflix.

And no, I understate the library overlap, which is probably at least 95%, and the overlap will become greater in the coming gen.

Cosmozone

Wait, did people actually think that Pikmin would move systems? Wasn't there a recent thread where we came to the conclusion that this wouldn't be the case? I don't see things turning around until the holidays, even with a price cut.
Just trolls jumping at the opportunity as usual.

I get into debates and have long conversations with people on these boards often when I feel its worth the effort to type it all out and maybe we'll have an intellectual exchange and one of us will walk away with a different viewpoint.

Now you are just acting high and mighty.

It's not my fault if I normally frequent Nintendo threads and all I see you doing is shitposting, even if you claim to have higher levels of discourse on other threads.

Agreed.

When I first heard that news, that was my big first "Uh Oh" moment.

Then when I read how Nintendo was shelling out some crazy expensive amount of money for the pads, I knew there would be trouble.

I don't think it was 'cooked' all the way through from a hardware aspect, and even less so on the value proposition aspect.

Very good points. But I ask you, aren't your points still very very valid for Nintendo 5 years from now? How does Nintendo prepare for next gen when they are so ill prepared for current gen and are doing all they can to revive the Wii U?

Nintendo needs to bite the bullet at some point and try to catch up to the industry. Otherwise they will only continue to fall behind and become irrelevant.

I fully expect Nintendo's next console to have a 4 core version of the same CPU tbh, again clocked higher and with more cache, probably 16GB's of Ram and a 2 / 2.5 TFLOP GPU. They will again be 4x weaker than Sony & MS's next consoles but release a year before imo.

As the console generations progress the disparity between hardware for games consoles will matter less and less. Esp as publishers target mobile devices like tablets that are extremely limited by their power consumption / battery life. Engines will be fully scalable from tablets to the most powerful gaming PC GPU's. It's already happening to a degree with DICE getting FB2 up and running on really weak tablets.

There is also the issue of software budgets getting out of control, games will only be able to look so good before a time comes where they can't hope to break even let alone turn a profit (Isn't there a launch game for PS4/XBO that needs to generate $300 million to break even ?), add another 50% development cost increase for PS5/XB4 and something is going to have to give be it people excepting a certain level of graphics as the best were are ever going to get or agreeing to pay more than $60 for a game with used game sales possibly blocked so publishers can turn a profit.

Iwata has himself said that they WILL spend a decent amount of money on game development but only for certain franchises like Zelda, there is absolutely no need for WiiU to be any more powerful than it is unless Nintendo wanted full third party support and 1) I don't think Nintendo are all that bothered by third party support outside of the big yearly selling franchises like CoD, Fifa, Madden, Just Dance, WWE ect and 2) there is no guarantee third parties would support a powerful Nintendo console as the Gamecube showed.

To sum up, Nintendo are doing the right thing hardware wise in my humble opinion and it will pay dividends the generation after PS4/XBO.

Top Bottom