• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2013 (Jul 08 - Jul 14)

Calamari41

41 > 38
So Pikmin only did 90K+ in 2 days on a console without a userbase and the Wii U only tripled it´s numbers. I guess it´s settled then: This will be our "shit on Nintendo thread of the day" - We should open them in advance so they don´t interfere with some discussion about, you know, games.

"Tripled" means it sold how many more units? What's the number? 13,000. That is not good. And the fact that a bump of 13,000 represents a tripling of sales is especially not good.

Scum

While I don't think the Wii U's third party line-up is that bad on paper in the West, I kind of have to wonder how many people are actually going to go pick up Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed IV, and Batman: Arkham Origins on the Wii U instead of the 360/PS3 or the PC/XB1/PS4.

Less than 10k for each.

Taker666

I predicted 23k for Wii U so i was pretty close. The premium white Wii U was never going to boost sales (just take sales from the black)...and sales had already been boosted a few thousand in the last couple of weeks anyway.

If they wanted to shift more hardware they should have made a limited edition Pikmin themed Wii U (Nintendo really need to employ their handheld tacts with their home consoles).

Pikmin 3 itself sold more than I expected given the install base.

Pikmin 3 has performed quite decently imo, on the other hand I was expecting way a better result from Super Luigi U, I hope it shows legs in the longer term.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
While I don't think the Wii U's third party line-up is that bad on paper in the West, I kind of have to wonder how many people are actually going to go pick up Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed IV, and Batman: Arkham Origins on the Wii U instead of the 360/PS3 or the PC/XB1/PS4.

I agree with you completely- my argument, if it can be called one, is that those titles combined with Nintendo's first party offerings could provide sort of a critical mass for some degree of consumer acceptance this year. Right now, in Japan, I don't see the volume of titles to even make that a possibility.

Did Nintendo think Pikmin 3 was a system seller, or did we invent that ourselves?

The game was originally a late life Wii game, not an early life Wii U one, and at the time the switch was made Nintendo wouldn't have thought they needed any "system seller" outside of Nintendo Land. Contrast that to say, Twilight Princess, which was delayed over a year for no other reason than to coincide with the Wii's launch.

So Pikmin only did 90K+ in 2 days on a console without a userbase and the Wii U only tripled it´s numbers. I guess it´s settled then: This will be our "shit on Nintendo thread of the day" - We should open them in advance so they don´t interfere with some discussion about, you know, games.

NPD bro...and this thread is about sales just like NPD not really about the actual games.

If you can't handle discussion of why these numbers are not good hardware numbers, and they are not good hardware numbers, in a thread about sales numbers then you should simply avoid the clearly marked sales threads for a while.

The same thing goes for PSV and any other failing platform.

Get over it. It's a bundle of plastic and metal, it doesn't need you to defend its honour.

onken

It was also really hot to the level of heat wave in Japan last week, and it came out in a holiday weekend where people were not in the streets. Even the Pokémon Centers were fairly empty and that seldom happens.

This has an effect on sales. I'm not saying this to spin but as an explanation. You need to factor in all the factors in order to make a determination.

I know I'm late but holy shit dude.

Bruno MB

Optimistic perspective: Despite being released on Wii U Pikmin 3 managed to sell over 100.000 units in its debut.

Pessimistic perspective: Pikmin 3 debuts in Japan providing a very disappointing spike in Wii U hardware sales.

NPD is tomorrow :)

Our "shit on Nintendo thread of the day" tomorrow will be a big one, might be enough to last us until next week.

Not so fast. There is always room for another shit on Nintendo Topic. Like Iwata doesn´t water his plants or a streaming community in paraguay who doesn´t get free blowjobs or whatever. It´s not about the reason...

Calamari41

41 > 38
I agree with you completely- my argument, if it can be called one, is that those titles combined with Nintendo's first party offerings could provide sort of a critical mass for some degree of consumer acceptance this year. Right now, in Japan, I don't see the volume of titles to even make that a possibility.

The only chance any of these games have is if one of them gets packed in as an official Wii U bundle. That could actually be a good strategy with Watch Dogs, in my opinion, but this might be a topic for another thread.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Once Mario Kart releases, if Wii U sales don't increase it's over. Nintendo would need to kill off the Wii U and make Smash Bros a launch title for the next system.

It's clear they need something like Kart/Smash/Zelda at launch.

kswiston

If New Super Mario Bros failed to push the system beyond meager sales, why are so many people expecting anything out of 3D World? It's not like there's no overlap in the fanbase between 2D and 3D Mario.

Nintendo consoles always do pretty well during the holidays, so I would expect a decent bump during the December weeks, and pretty good sales for 3D World considering the install base, but the system is going right back to 5-10k sales a week in January if they don't drop the price.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Not so fast. There is always room for another shit on Nintendo Topic. Like Iwata doesn´t water his plants or a streaming community in paraguay who doesn´t get free blowjobs or whatever. It´s not about the reason...

You might want to log off GAF for the rest of the generation. When a console fails this hard, we shit on it. Sorry. There'll be a couple weeks here and there when you can log in with 3D World, Kart 8, and Smash's release dates, but other than that you're gonna want to shield your innocent cheerleader eyes, cupcake.

DaBoss

NSLU came out a month ago on their eShop, so existing NSMBU/Wii U owners would've been able to buy it from there.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Another thought- Nintendo was much more aggressive in "fixing" 3DS it's first year even though sales were never close to being this poor. Is this reflective of Nintendo's internal priorities, or just the reality of the situation (I.e, 2011 Nintendo could cut its losses on a price cut- 2013 Nintendo cannot).

impact

Banned
It was also really hot to the level of heat wave in Japan last week, and it came out in a holiday weekend where people were not in the streets. Even the Pokémon Centers were fairly empty and that seldom happens.

This has an effect on sales. I'm not saying this to spin but as an explanation. You need to factor in all the factors in order to make a determination.
I nominate this for post of the thread.

Once Mario Kart releases, if Wii U sales don't increase it's over. Nintendo would need to kill off the Wii U and make Smash Bros a launch title for the next system.

they had nsmbu, I don't think switching out which big title at launch woyldmake much difference. The problem isthe lack of releases that followed launch.

The only chance any of these games have is if one of them gets packed in as an official Wii U bundle. That could actually be a good strategy with Watch Dogs, in my opinion, but this might be a topic for another thread.

I think Sonic is a more likely 3rd party pack in

SmokyDave

This is the text equivalent of a quivering pout.

This one is a big fat tear, rolling down a rosy cheek. Maybe a sniffle at the end too.

BY2K

Membero Americo
As far back as January we all looked at the Japanese release schedule and could see the console was in trouble as it was so barren.

Somehow those @ Nintendo HQ seemed to think the console could get by just fine. I think the reality is Nintendo were expecting Japanese 3rd parties to jump on board but come launch time they had already bailed so they were screwed.

Nintendo can't just pulled games out of its ass. Even worse, they like to delay them...

If they don't have games ready they can't release them.

(Not that I want to excuse them, but like I said, can't pull games out of your ass.)

Nozem

Let's not pretend there aren't more than enough legitimate reasons to shit on Nintendo this generation.

DaBoss

If New Super Mario Bros failed to push the system beyond meager sales, why are so many people expecting anything out of 3D World? It's not like there's no overlap in the fanbase between 2D and 3D Mario.

But New Super Mario Bros U didn't fail. It was the biggest and most people's sole reason to own a Wii U. It has a good attach ratio. It just can't do anything on its own, which Nintendo seems to have done.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A very small amount

Less than 10k for each.
Yes that would pretty much be on par with how Wii U third party titles have performed so far.

I do think it looks better on paper, yes.

It's just that so far the apathy for buying third party titles has been so high that I'm not sure why they would gain traction.

I mean, if Nintendo was putting out some major open world action adventure game at the same time I could totally see interest in one leading to increased sales in Ubisoft's titles and Batman, but they are not really offering anything to bring that audience to table.

Microsoft is at least walking out with Dead Rising 3 and Sony with inFamous: Second Son, and both Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed IV have notable visual upgrades on XB1/PS4 (especially Watch_Dogs). On the 360/PS3 front, the audience has been there for ages and will have been reinvigorated by GTA V 1-2 months before these games release.

Even on the extra content front, Sony is the one who has exclusive DLC and/or content for all three titles.

"Tripled" means it sold how many more units? What's the number? 13,000. That is not good. And the fact that a bump of 13,000 represents a tripling of sales is especially not good.

No shit sherlock. But it´s a start. We´re still talking about the Wii U. People didn´t expect it to sell 100K+ just because of one game. They only do so to be vocally "disappointed".

NPD bro...and this thread is about sales just like NPD not really about the actual games.

Brah, Dude or whatever you like to be called... i was talking about a special kind of htreads, not just this one.
___

The real news for me is NSLU - does anyone know if it´s just retail or digital as well. If only retail it would be pretty ok for a dlc.

Launching a console is much more expensive. Nintendo could relaunch the Wii U twice a year and still spend less than it would take to launch a completely new console.

We are just going to have to ride the Wii U out. Nintendo has options and can break even or profit from it all. It just will be a failure in our eyes because it will likely not do well compared to the consoles from last gen, this gen, or next gen, but even with a 'low' userbase Nintendo can sell millions of first-party softwares. Its not like their games require AAA Budgets either.

I'm crying :lol
Classic

Another thought- Nintendo was much more aggressive in "fixing" 3DS it's first year even though sales were never close to being this poor. Is this reflective of Nintendo's internal priorities, or just the reality of the situation (I.e, 2011 Nintendo could cut its losses on a price cut- 2013 Nintendo cannot).
Probably both

Calamari41

41 > 38
Nintendo can't just pulled games out of its ass. Even worse, they like to delay them...

If they don't have games ready they can't release them.

(Not that I want to excuse them, but like I said, can't pull games out of your ass.)

This is true, but it is also why they should have been planning for this scenario since 2007 when they saw that massive, unprecedentedly huge console sales still meant close to zero third party support.

But New Super Mario Bros U didn't fail. It was the biggest and most people's sole reason to own a Wii U. It has a good attach ratio. It just can't do anything on its own, which Nintendo seems to have done.

If anything, NSMBU is a huge success story because it has gotten basically a million people to buy a console specifically for it.

L Thammy

I get the feeling that there was a lot of internal confusion, which is why nothing has lined up. The hardware features didn't come out when they were supposed to. The software didn't come out when it was supposed to. It's a remarkable failure in planning. There's really no way to fix that.

EDIT: Adding to this, I suspect that much of the software was started before a firm idea of the hardware was available. So the hardware seems underutilized, delays are inevitable, so on and so forth. It would probably be a nice way of pissing third parties off as well.

kswiston

Is "Only 2 days of sales!" the Media-Create equivalent of "It only had 6 days on the chart. Just wait for next month!" over in NPD GAF? Nintendo games usually have pretty good legs, but don't games get a large portion of their launch week sales on Day 1?

I'm not saying it failed. However, those core 500k Mario fans already bought their Wii Us. Why would 3D World convince people to lay down their $350 (or whatever the price of the system is in Yen) for a Wii U if NSMBU didn't?

Nibel

You might want to log off GAF for the rest of the generation. When a console fails this hard, we shit on it. Sorry. There'll be a couple weeks here and there when you can log in with 3D World, Kart 8, and Smash's release dates, but other than that you're gonna want to shield your innocent cheerleader eyes, cupcake.

Speak for yourself

Foshy

NSLU came out a month ago on their eShop, so existing NSMBU/Wii U owners would've been able to buy it from there.

Exactly. 25k is decent for it, I'm baffled that the sell-through is so low though (20-40%). Did Nintendo really expect more?

Is "Only 2 days of sales!" the Media-Create equivalent of "It only had 6 days on the chart. Just wait for next month!" over in NPD GAF? Nintendo games usually have pretty good legs, but don't games get a large portion of their launch week sales on Day 1?

You answered your own question.

Turrican3

I can't help but feel banking on the tablet screen was not a good idea when almost everyone has a touch device already.
I see a similar, if not even worse issue (banking on a feature people don't actually care I mean) with the 3DS: and yet, even if I believe the 3D effect is potentially far from being a game changer than some of the unique features of the Gamepad, Nintendo was able to make its handheld bounce.

Pikmin is nice, I can't wait for it to be released here, but it seems to me that the inevitable 3DS combo of a robust price cut + at least a couple of heavy hitters is a must if they want the Wii U to start selling decently.

Nozem

I don't get why the Wii U didn't release with a brand spanking new Zelda title. Nintendo had more than enough time and money to build a killer launch line up.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
they had nsmbu, I don't think switching out which big title at launch woyldmake much difference. The problem isthe lack of releases that followed launch.

At a point right after Nintendo released a major 2D sidescroller Mario on 3DS. Nintendo overreached and believed the market would eat it up because it's 2D Mario. They failed.

Omg, you are so mature. I am impressed. How could i dare to criticize such adult behaviour. Go on then.

ascii42

Probably a bit of both. Plus, WiiU games take more time and resources to develop than 3DS games, so it's harder to fast track them.

Malvingt2

If you can't handle discussion of why these numbers are not good hardware numbers, and they are not good hardware numbers, in a thread about sales numbers then you should simply avoid the clearly marked sales threads for a while.

The same thing goes for PSV and any other failing platform.

Get over it. It's a bundle of plastic and metal, it doesn't need you to defend its honour.

So are you saying that the point he/she is making about the two days is not valid?

Speak for yourself

Eh, a lot of gaffers are known to be equal opportunity haters if a particular platform is doing badly.

It is now Nintendo's turn with the Wii U. (MS has just escaped the roasting with the XBone thanks to its 180)

Last gen it was Sony with the PS3.

The one before that it was Microsoft with the original XBOX.

No ailing company's product escapes scrutiny on GAF, you'd know that if you've been around long enough.

Top Bottom