• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2016 (Jul 11 - Jul 17)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Thinking about it, to be fair...

2013 - Pokémon Rumble U
2013 - Pokémon X & Y
2014 - Pokémon Battle Trozei
2014 - Pokémon Art Academy
2014 - Band of Thieves & 1000 Pokémon
2014 - Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
2015 - Pokémon Shuffle
2015 - Pokémon Rumble World
2015 - Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
2015 - Pokémon Picross
2016 - Detective Pikachu
2016 - Pokkén Tournament
2016 - Pokémon Comaster
2016 - Pokémon GO
2016 - Pokémon Sun & Moon

The last few years have been very busy for me :p

That said, this wasn't at the beginning of the franchise...

I think the Yokai Watch drop has many reasons... i don't think Spin off are the main reason.

I'm not really sure honestly... what i am sure is that Pokémon is another planet. It won't drop so badly soon, if ever.

Rymuth

2013 - Yo-kai Watch
2014 - Yo-kai Watch 2
2014 - Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi
2015 - Yo-kai Watch Busters
2016 - Yo-kai Sangokuchi
2016 - Yo-kai Watch 3

"Milking is the most predictable of all of Level-5's strategies. But, rest assured, this will be the third time we have ran an IP to the ground and we have become exceedingly efficient at it."

latest

Oregano

Nintendo going mobile was the final nail in the coffin of the dedicated hardware industry in Japan. It's only going to get worse.

I expected a lot better from Youkai Watch and Uppers

2013 - Yo-kai Watch
2014 - Yo-kai Watch 2
2014 - Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi
2015 - Yo-kai Watch Busters
2016 - Yo-kai Sangokuchi
2016 - Yo-kai Watch 3
This list is really nothing special. A lot of successful franchises in Japan have plenty of spin-offs through the years.
Pokémon, Persona, Yakuza and many others aren't all that different.
Maybe Level 5 should consider to release just one version of their games instead of two, at least for spin-off titles.

But that's not the problem anyway.

Oh damn, I didn't realize uppers was out already. VIta releases are crazy this month. Uppers last week, Ys VIII and Stranger of Sword City New Interpretation tomorrow, and then World's Longest 5 Minutes (Nippon ichi) next Thursday. I'm getting all of them :/ Nippon ichi has been on point with its last few releases - Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain was sold out at a lot of stores for a week or two. Looking forward to seeing the Ys numbers next week.

wrowa

I think the Yokai Watch drop has many reasons... i don't think Spin off are the main reason.

I think people are focusing too much on the games, really. Yokai Watch is a multimedia franchise that just lost its thunder after being literally everywhere for two years. Probably would have happened with less games as well.

Holy shit at that Yokai Watch drop.

Took a bit to find, but here's what 2 launched with:
Media Create Sales 7/7/14 – 7/13/14 said:
1. [3DS] Yokai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke (Level-5, 07/10/14) – 1,316,707 (New)

Sushi/Tempura combined did less than at least either Ganso or Honke separately, possibly both if the sales of 2 were roughly an even split.

JoeM86

This list is really nothing special. A lot of successful franchises in Japan have plenty of spin-offs through the years.
Maybe Level 5 should consider to release just one version of their games instead of two, at least for spin-off titles.

But that's not the problem anyway.

Only 2 of those are spin-offs

I think people are focusing too much on the games, really. Yokai Watch is a multimedia franchise that just lost its thunder after being literally everywhere for two years. Probably would have happened with less games as well.

Yep. Last summer, Yo-kai merchandise sales were down 75% on the previous year. Anime ratings have dropped to around 3 (that's the same level as Pokémon which many say is underperforming), down from usually averaging 6-7 each week.

DNAbro

Holy shit at that Yokai Watch drop.

Took a bit to find, but here's what 2 launched with:

Sushi/Tempura combined did less than at least either Ganso or Honke separately, possibly both if the sales of 2 were roughly an even split.

that's what I was looking for

that is an incredibly huge drop. insane.

Well, aside from the obvious Yo-kai deterioration, Uppers truly was a disaster. I can see what they were going for with it but man, they really botched things huh?

Legend of Heroes also declining some more, although not really a surprise considering the game that it is. It's the last one that they're gonna be doing the Evo treatment too anyway I guess.

On the plus side, Coven still doing well for itself, as I feel DQH2 Vita is and Jikkyou. So at least some things are doing well on the console!

mao2

Well, aside from the obvious Yo-kai deterioration, Uppers truly was a disaster. I can see what they were going for with it but man, they really botched things huh?

Legend of Heroes also declining some more, although not really a surprise considering the game that it is. It's the last one that they're gonna be doing the Evo treatment too anyway I guess.

On the plus side, Coven still doing well for itself, as I feel DQH2 Vita is and Jikkyou. So at least some things are doing well on the console!
Marvelous did put quite a bit of effort to promote Uppers, but sadly consumer interest just isn't there. Back to Senran Kagura for Takaki I guess.

Pokémon was always the king. No idea why some people thought Yokai Watch was bigger.

If the bigger game of a series (YW2) can barely beat a remake, this doesn't mean is bigger lol.

Moon and Sun gonna be insane! :D

Worldwide for sure, though I was under the impression Yokai Watch games were selling more than Pokemon the way people were going on. I guess not?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Worldwide for sure, though I was under the impression Yokai Watch games were selling more than Pokemon the way people were going on. I guess not?

No.

Since Yokai Watch release, only Yokai Watch 2 has sold more than a Pokémon game, and we talk about a REMAKE, if we talk about a main Pokémon game, no Yokai Watch can get close.

Same will happen with Moon and Sun, easy... with the difference this time Sun and Moon will outsell Yokai Watch by >2:1

Its more that Yokai Watch was really the first major competitor Pokemon has had for a long time, and its domestic sales were absolutely insane for a franchise that only appeared three years ago, when the Japanese market has gone through a long period of decline.

Busaiku

No.

Since Yokai Watch release, only Yokai Watch 2 has sold more than a Pokémon game, and we talk about a REMAKE, if we talk about a main Pokémon game, no Yokai Watch can get close.

Same will happen with Moon and Sun, easy... with the difference this time Sun and Moon will outsell Yokai Watch by >2:1
I thought Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby did more in the end.
Are you including Shin Uchi in that?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I thought Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby did more in the end.
Are you including Shin Uchi in that?

According to Media Create Yokai watch 3 sold 3.2 million, Ruby/Shappire sold under 3 million. (over 3 million according to Famitsu)

Shin Uchi isn't including.

Sterok

Maybe someday we'll get some good numbers. Today is not that day. The Yokai reign was fun while it lasted. Level 5 really needs to get a handle on brand management. How did TPC keep Pokemon strong for so long?

No.

As a single releases Yokai Watch games have not sold as much as mainline Pokemon games but if you put all Yokai Watch games together the Yokai Watch brand sold over 6 million games in 2014 (about million for oginal, 3 million for Yokai Watch 2 Ganso/Honke and 2 million for Shinuchi) which is more than Pokemon has done in ages.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Shin Uchi sold more than any Pokemon third release, Busters sold more than any Pokemon spin-off (basically more than any Mystery Dungeon) and Yo-kai Sangokushi outsold Pokemon Nobunaga.

All these records were achieved in a very short period.

The difference is that many of those games didn't fill the whole country with the game merchandise. Pokemon is always a phenomenon so it's an exception but you don't see Persona or Yakuza characters on the street. Yokai Watch took over Japan like a storm. During its peak, they were everywhere; restroom, bus stop, even in a government office. People have been seeing YKW characters days in and days out for years, so no surprise that their popularity finally dies down.

Forkball

Yokai Watch 3 will have legs. The release for YW2 was basically a perfect storm as the anime was new and really boosted interest in the franchise. I picked up YW3 and while I only played an hour, there are a lot of changes and some interesting design elements.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Shin Uchi sold more than any Pokemon third release, Busters sold more than any Pokemon spin-off (basically more than any Mystery Dungeon) and Yo-kai Sangokushi outsold Pokemon Nobunaga.

All these records were achieved in a very short period.

Outside of Shin Uchi which outsold Platinum / Emerdal / Crystal, which is all considering something, the others were just tiny useless battle.

The real test for say Yokai Watch is bigger than Pokémon should always been a main game VS a main game.

... And this year we'll have the answer. (well, we already have)

Damn. Uppers is nowhere close to be a great game but I didn't expect it to be such a disaster.

Although if Famitsu's sell through is accurate, Marvelous saw it coming.

Mory Dunz

Maybe someday we'll get some good numbers. Today is not that day. The Yokai reign was fun while it lasted. Level 5 really needs to get a handle on brand management. How did TPC keep Pokemon strong for so long?

By doing the opposite of whatever GAF says

Aters

Multi-media promotion can only carry you so far. If you want to be around longer, you need to be actually good.

GAF need to stop acting like they know better about the business than the executives of Level 5. The company has come a long way. They definitely know what they are doing. If they delay YW3 to next year, it will sell even lower numbers. When the craze fades, there is no turning back, so better milk the hell out of it while they still can. Soon enough they will come up with a new IP to milk to death.

Edit: this thread is going to be fun, subbed.

3 years after XY, same as XY after Black/White, and Black/White after Diamond/Pearl.

I don't see what's the point with Yokai Watch here.

Well, Black/White was four years after Diamond/Pearl, not three.

There's substantial reasons to believe that there was a Z on the docket for this year at some point that got taken off and replaced by an earlier Sun/Moon. Whether that's because of Yo-Kai or for some other reason is difficult to say.

horuhe

I only can be silent at this moment for this disaster. I was one of the defenders of a OK-ish first week, but now... I have to wait the legs, though. #TeamSammy

Maniel

Banned
Yikes, bad opening for Yokai. This is especially bad to me because I feel like the legs won't be as great. Yokai is now a more established IP, and it's likely less people are discovering it than when 2 came out.

casiopao

Dj9Kekv.gif

EDIT: dfhfgh wtf Nirolak I know it was you. Justice will prevail.

EDIT 2: Level-5 has announced regular updates for YW3, I'm expecting legs and a swift recovery to 2M copies sold.

Lololol. Dammit i can't stop rofl'ing here.^_^ No problemo Sammy, i can bet Level-5 will come out with new IP faster than they can save YW here lol.^_^

L~A

Big gap between Media and Famitsu for YW.

Yeah, that's surprising since for Yo-kai Watch Busters, Media Create sales were below Famitsu sales (though not by a similar margin).

I'd put it at a toss up between duckroll and nirolak. Not sure.

What if it was the same person? :p

That Uppers delay for the reason they cited was not worth it.

Yeah, they don't seem to have done anything special with the extra time before release. Whole delay seem a bit pointless, to be honest.

Top Bottom