• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2016 (Jul 11 - Jul 17)

rhandino

Banned
Dj9Kekv.gif

EDIT: dfhfgh wtf Nirolak I know it was you. Justice will prevail.

EDIT 2: Level-5 has announced regular updates for YW3, I'm expecting legs and a swift recovery to 2M copies sold.
#OOP

MTUdBxF.gif

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Now that i think so, just for comparation... who think Fire Emblem series will become bigger than Youkai Watch seriesin the nexts years? :O

It's almost like you guys want YW to fail.

Y'all need to let go of nostalgia for a bit and see that PKMN has served nothing but TRASH for the past few years. Those 15fps non 3D games were not priced correctly when they charged us $40. I'm disgusted.

Will GF even fix all the engine issues for SM? I mean I'd love them to, but I don't trust they will.

YW, on the other hand, runs really well, looks good, supports 3D and makes fun use of the 3DS unique capabilities. It's a really good and fun game. Hands down several miles better than XY or ORAS. Also, YW2/YW3 is coming out to improve on everything that the series has offered so far (YW2 was critically acclaimed and YW3 has a new battle system).

Sadly, the YW3 release suffered from the sudden PKMN GO phenomenon, the app might not be available in Japan, but everyone is waiting for it to be released, and they are now excited for SM. We are talking mind share right here.

But oh well! It happens!

I trust that Level-5 will continue to develop awesome YW games. I'm pretty sure YW NX will look like that project teaser. Do you guys expect PKMN NX to even touch that level of budget? I don't, but once again, I'd be glad to be proved wrong.

So yeah, Yo-kai Watch is not dead. YW3 sold reall well (600k not including digital) and it will continue to sell for many months to come. It's getting bigger and bigger here in the west too.

Now let's stop the bling and I can't wait for my tag to be proved wrong, and I know it will! Poor Nirolak, he is probably sad because the only dead franchise right here is Bravely Defunct.

fyyncG1.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You got to know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away,
Know when to run.

That Uppers delay for the reason they cited was not worth it.

This also applies here.

I don't know why Marvelous keeps making these hyper-niche new IPs that seem to have zero breakout appeal.

This isn't the type of market to be doing that in.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So what's the full expected line-up for Level 5 Vision 2016, if we assume nothing has been canceled?

Snack World
Inazuma Eleven Reboot (back to roots)
Layton New Series (new protagonist)
Layton 7
Fantasy Life 2
New Children's IP
Ni No Kuni 2
Yokai Watch 3 DLC

Am I missing anything? That's a lot already.

Obviously they could have other unannounced projects that are smaller or are meant to be a big surprise.

Mmh, so "delaying" Youkai Watch 3 by a year was a mistake then. I initially expected the longer wait would result in more anticipation and the inevitable high quality of the product would ensure the IP keeps performing strongly for longer than is expected for a Level-5 franchise, but it seems like they gained nothing from it.

Hoping for good legs. I thought the IP had been pretty well managed.

Time for Level 5 to announce an emergency third version of Yokai Watch at Level 5 Vision, along with Yokai Watch 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 all entering development.

JoeM86

Y'all need to let go of nostalgia for a bit and see that PKMN has served nothing but TRASH for the past few years. Those 15fps non 3D games were not priced correctly when they charged us $40. I'm disgusted.

Will GF even fix all the engine issues for SM? I mean I'd love them to, but I don't trust they will.

So a game is only good/worth $40 if it's locked 60fps and has stereoscopic 3D. Damn, the industry is screwed then...

So a game is only good/worth $40 if it's locked 30fps and has stereoscopic 3D. Damn, the industry is screwed then...

It's pretty standard for games in big, high-quality franchises to run particularly well. The biggest IP on Nintendo handhelds can't manage to match a new IP by Level-5. It should be pretty embarrassing.

DKHF

So what's the full expected line-up for Level 5 Vision 2016, if we assume nothing has been canceled?

Snack World
Layton 7
Fantasy Life 2
New Children's IP
Ni No Kuni 2
Yokai Watch 3 DLC

Obviously they could have other unannounced projects that are smaller or are meant to be a big surprise.
Do you think we will see Ni No Kuni 2 at Level-5 Vision? I think they might wait to show it again until PSX or another western event since the first game sold a lot better in the west (the PS3 version of course) and the reveal trailer was at PSX and fully dubbed in English. It seems to be targeting the west mainly. I could be wrong and they still promo it/release it in Japan a while before the west.

eh nice tag sammy.. lol

Snack World
Layton 7
Fantasy Life 2
New Children's IP
Ni No Kuni 2
Yokai Watch 3 DLC

i forgot about that trash layton 7. honestly hoping that it's cancelled
along with fantasy life 2 but eh beta is starting soon iinm :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
eh nice tag sammy.. lol

i forgot about that trash layton 7. honestly hoping that it's cancelled
along with fantasy life 2 but eh beta is starting soon iinm :(

They purged the canceled games from their website not too long ago and Layton 7 is still there.

Do you think we will see Ni No Kuni 2 at Level-5 Vision? I think they might wait to show it again until PSX or another western event since the first game sold a lot better in the west (the PS3 version of course) and the reveal trailer was at PSX and fully dubbed in English. It seems to be targeting the west mainly. I could be wrong and they still promo it/release it in Japan a while before the west.
Well, it's not officially announced for the event, but it's hypothetically pretty far along.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

YW, on the other hand, runs really well, looks good, supports 3D and makes fun use of the 3DS unique capabilities. It's a really good and fun game. Hands down several miles better than XY or ORAS. Also, YW2/YW3 is coming out to improve on everything that the series has offered so far (YW2 was critically acclaimed and YW3 has a new battle system).

Are seriusly saying Youkai Wacth is better than Pokémon because the graph..... really?

Ōkami

New 3DS XL at 3m sold, total sales of the 3DS should hit 21m within weeks.

Famitsu retail + digital

[PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain: 495.095

This game showed up on Media Creat during an Amazon sale some time ago and was at 450k retail alone, pretty sure Famitsu doesn't track Amazon which would explain the difference.

Only 10k sold in close to 7 months. Sales on PS3+PS4 are at 730k more any game in the series but Snake Eater (keep in mind all other games were just on one platform.)

[WIU] Super Mario Maker: 996.737

We should be getting a new digital update soon, though won't be higher than 2k, will be interesting to see how the game performs without the bundle.

Mario & Sonic at Rio on already sold more than on Sochi on Wii U and will do so as well on 3DS. Add Mario & Sonic to series not underperfoming in 2016.

As official data goes:
[3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits / Fleshy Souls: 3.178.000
[3DS] Pokémon OmegaRuby / AlphaSapphire: 3.180.000

Yokai Watch data is retail only, Pokémon's includes digital but it's close to 4 months old. At the time the discussion was weather or not OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire could outsell Shinuchi, but in the end it'll outsell the regular versions of Yokai Watch 2 as well.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Ōkami;210710394 said:
As official data goes:
[3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits / Fleshy Souls: 3.178.000
[3DS] Pokémon OmegaRuby / AlphaSapphire: 3.180.000

Yokai Watch data is retail only, Pokémon's includes digital but it's close to 4 months old. At the time the discussion was weather or not OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire could outsell Shinuchi, but in the end it'll outsell the regular versions of Yokai Watch 2 as well.

So in the end the bigger Youkai Watch game ever won't even outsell a remake..... that's really telling...

DNAbro

Sadly, the YW3 release suffered from the sudden PKMN GO phenomenon, the app might not be available in Japan, but everyone is waiting for it to be released, and they are now excited for SM. We are talking mind share right here.

But oh well! It happens!

I trust that Level-5 will continue to develop awesome YW games. I'm pretty sure YW NX will look like that project teaser. Do you guys expect PKMN NX to even touch that level of budget? I don't, but once again, I'd be glad to be proved wrong.

So yeah, Yo-kai Watch is not dead. YW3 sold reall well (600k not including digital) and it will continue to sell for many months to come. It's getting bigger and bigger here in the west too.

Now let's stop the bling and I can't wait for my tag to be proved wrong, and I know it will! Poor Nirolak, he is probably sad because the only dead franchise right here is Bravely Defunct.

fyyncG1.jpg

are you okay

Yokai served its purpose: making Game Freak sweat a bit.
Now SM looks amazing.

fyyncG1.jpg
Sammy, this is a Level 5 IP. You should've known from the start they were going to run this series into the ground like every other one of their franchises that were succesful. The series isn't done yet but it will likely be dead in the water in 2 years.

If there's something that Level 5 can learn from TPC/GF/Nintendo is how to actually manage a brand.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Week 29, 2016 (Jun 18 - Jul 24)

new releases

{2016.07.20}
[3DS] Hiyoko Mamire _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Unity Games Japan) (¥277)
[3DS] Aikatsu Stars! First Appeal _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥0)
[3DS] Street Fighter II Turbo _New 3DS Dedicated Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Capcom) (¥762)
[3DS] Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts _New 3DS Dedicated Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Capcom) (¥762)
[3DS] Mega Man X2 _New 3DS Dedicated Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Capcom) (¥762)
[WIU] Super Robo Mouse _Wii U Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Cosen) (¥277)
[WIU] Mario Tennis _Wii U Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <SPT> (Nintendo) (¥951)
[WIU] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky _Wii U Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) (¥879)
[WIU] Salamander _Wii U Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <STG> (Konami) (¥762)

{2016.07.21}
[3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) (¥4.800)
[3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu (&#949;) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) (¥4.800)
[PSV] PlayStation Vita Ys VIII Black Pearl Edition - Sony Store <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥20.980)
[PSV] PlayStation Vita Ys VIII White Clelia Edition - Sony Store <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥20.980)
[PSV] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥6.800)
[PSV] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Limited Premium Box) <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥8.800)
[PSV] 7'scarlet # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.300)
[PSV] 7'scarlet (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.300)
[PSV] 7'scarlet (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥5.800)
[PSV] New Interpretation Stranger of Sword City <RPG> (Experience) (¥3.800)
[PSV] New Interpretation Stranger of Sword City (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Experience) (¥3.800)
[PSV] Gendai Daisenryaku 2016: Chitsujo no Houkai - Haken Kokka Shittsui <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥6.500)
[PSV] Bunny Must Die: Chelsea and the 7 Devils _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Mediascape) (¥1.400)
[PSV] Shoujo to Dragon: Genjuu Keiyaku Cryptract _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Lionsfilm) (¥0)
[PS4] Black Rose Valkyrie # <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥7.200)
[PS4] Black Rose Valkyrie (Special Binding Limited Edition) <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥9.200)
[PS4] Black Rose Valkyrie (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥6.400)
[PS3] Gendai Daisenryaku 2016: Chitsujo no Houkai - Haken Kokka Shittsui <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥7.500)
___

YSO predictions

01. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura < 240k (average 220k)
02. [PSV] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana < 45k (average 40k)
03. [PS4] Black Rose Valkyrie < 20k (average 15k)

In fairness I think a lot of the response here is less 'wanting the game to fail' as actually being kinda shocked by just how severe the drop is compared to previous games, and trying to figure out what the hell it means for the franchise's sustainability going forward. Calling it dead is presumptive, yes, but given the expectation its still quite astonishing to see such a sharp drop from the previous main entries.

That said.

I just realised after double checking again that 3 was out for less time than Yokai Watch 2 was before MCS numbers came along. With YW2 the game came out on the 10th of its launch month with the week ending on the 13th. YW3 came out on the 16th with the week ending on the 17th. So the game did have less time on the market before sales data was compiled, meaning we'll really have to see how it holds next week.

I'll admit it. I think Yokai's gameplay is terrible.

I try to give a fair chance but it just wasn't fun or engaging. the good thing is, my little cousin likes the game so not a wasted purchase.

I wish the game released last year while the hype was high.

Was expecting a little higher debut sales, but dang.

I hope the sales get better over time like wih Busters.

I want to see it reach at least 2 million in lifetime sales.

Now people are going to use this as an excuse to ignore a great franchise like YW as a whole. :(

Sandfox

But oh well! It happens!

fyyncG1.jpg

Are you really going to blame Pokemon Go? This read like damage control.

Alrus

Hmm while the drop is really massive this time, isn't this par for the course as far as Level-5 mega IPs go? I seem to remember Layton and IE started selling way less starting with their third entry? (might be the fourth one for Layton I'm not sure anymore).

And honestly while I shat on Hino for milking their franchises to death before, I think in the end he's kinda right to do it in the end, kids franchise usually don't stay massively popular for long, and it's better to try and get as much out of it while it's super hot from a business standpoint. Afterwards you can release a new game from time to time and get decent sales out of it.
This also applies here.

I don't know why Marvelous keeps making these hyper-niche new IPs that seem to have zero breakout appeal.

This isn't the type of market to be doing that in.

I think the surprise success of Senran Kagura made them think they could replicate it if they kept trying.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Y'all need to read the post and think of Sammy's sense of humour is all.

Aters

Now think about it. YW3 second week doesn't seem bad at all. So maybe it's not that drastic a fall. I was expecting higher numbers from Ys 8 though.

Because a new game VS a remake is fair?

Well maybe not but neither is your comparison. =P Back in 2014 Yokai games sold over 6 million units in Japan so back then you could say it was on the same level as Pokemon in popularity (Not to mention Yokai Watch movie printing money compared to any recent Pokemon Movie).

Eolz

Poor Sammy...

Finally it's time for Ikkitousen HD trilogy for Vita and PS4 ;)

Good joke :p

wait why can't PS4 software stay on the top 10?

the hardware seems to be doing well enough

There's still nothing really great available, despite people wanting the hardware. It seems more like a "per default" choice though for home consoles, since WiiU is dead and has not third party support (and lol X1).
People probably buy a lot of games used on this one, wonder if we have some stats on this.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Well maybe not but neither is your comparison. =P Back in 2014 Yokai games sold over 6 million units in Japan so back then you could say it was on the same level as Pokemon in popularity (Not to mention Yokai Watch movie printing money compared to any recent Pokemon Movie).

Well if i remember correctly Pokémon X/Y sold 4.2 million unit according to Media Create and 4.5 million according to Famitsu, retail only.

i get the release of Shinuchi killed Yokai Watch 2 legs, but before the release Shinuchi Yokai Watch 2 was at 2.96 million unit sold, so still 1.2-1.5 million under X/Y, i think that even withouth Shinuchi it was going to sell under X/Y.....

About the 6 million unit sold in 2014, well they released not one, but two important Yokai Watch games in one year :p just imagine how much could have sold gen 4 if Diamond / Pearl and even Platinum was same year, with 6 months distance between Diamond/Pearl. xD

YSO predictions

02. [PSV] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana < 45k (average 40k)

Well that'd be... absolutely fine, if it actually sold that.

Memories of Celceta opened at 42,146.

Black Rose Valkyrie isn't great:

07./00. [PS3] Fairy Fencer F # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2013.10.10} (¥7.329) - 40.666 / NEW
08./00. [PS4] Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2015.11.05} (¥7.538) - 14.392 / NEW

08./00. [PS4] Omega Quintet # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2014.10.02} (¥7.538) - 9.365 / NEW

At least it'd do better than Omega Quintet.

Impotaku

YW3 only came out on the 16th those sales figures go from 11th-17th those figures are only 2 days worth of YW3 sales, hardly flop territory. Wait till there's least a weeks worth of sales.

Seems shitting on Level 5 is a fave pastime on here.

YW3 only came out on the 16th those sales figures go from 11th-17th those figures are only 2 days worth of YW3 sales, hardly flop territory. Wait till there's least a weeks worth of sales.

Seems shitting on Level 5 is a fave pastime on here.

Yeah, I just realized this and realized I over panicked.

I guess the news wasn't so bad after all.

Top Bottom