• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2017 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I expect that the gap won't be too far off for the 3DS and PS4 version of DQXI.

If the ps4 version of DQ11 opens higher than the 3ds one it'll be one of the biggest crow ever served to Neogaf!

If it does, I predict a Media Create thread with 1000-1500 replies talking what's happening to the 3DS and the dreamy possibility of a Switch version selling much more than the two or something.

Would that be the biggest "collapse" ever?

I'm pretty sure we have had some 90-92% collapses, but those last few percent have to be hard earned. I remember that JoJo All Stars game on PS3 had a ridiculous crash and so did Crisis Core. I'm sure there are some niche RPGs and VNs that have crashed in that range too.

I'm pretty sure we have had some 90-92% collapses, but those last few percent have to be hard earned. I remember that JoJo All Stars game on PS3 had a ridiculous crash and so did Crisis Core. I'm sure there are some niche RPGs and VNs that have crashed in that range too.

Really? What was the reason for that one? I thought it was pretty well received.

KtSlime

Splatoon 820k,
Switch 90k.

I think Nintendo going with global game releases was a bit of a misstep this time around considering how few Switch they can release per week. It would be much better for the games if they could plan releasing Switches along side them, and they could plan where those Switches should be if they didn't have to be everywhere at once.

I hope this is sarcasm, cuz in no way 300k people in japan cancel their Splatoon order for just that issue lol.

The only reason that many people would cancel their Splatoon order is because they couldn't get a Switch, which is likely the case. (I don't think they canceled that many though)

If you have no reason to expect a bias to confront and no reason to take the conversation as comparing similar sets between consoles (which you don't--it is entirely about how well-rated Japanese, new, PS4 retail games sell in the west), I really don't understand why this is even a thing.
The bolded is incorrect, though. Nirolak referred to the entire set of 90 games, and that's what I responded to: only one small piece of his overall argument.

No; you are using loaded terminology which is why I questioned your methodology and your conclusion.
I do agree that "great games" is a pliable category. I assumed that the context of the post, where the set of games-scoring-85-or-higher-on-Metacritic was mentioned repeatedly, was sufficient to show the parameters in force. Basically, my use of "great games" was solely an attempt to enliven the prose by avoiding even more repetition. I do apologize that it muddied the waters so much for you.

I don't claim inerrancy, and have no issue with your probing of my method and conclusion. I trust the further discussion has shown that both are amply justified in their context. I understand you reject that context, but I think further discussion of critical consensus and quality is offtopic in this thread. Your opinions about Metacritic are noted, and I don't wholly disagree.

"At this point in its lifespan the PS4 has more 85+ metacritic titles playable than other platforms have had" - thats fine (if true, I don't care enough to check, I suspect it to not be true though).
I never made that exact statement, but it's kind of irrelevant. That you don't care to determine whether things are true or not means this discussion has no future. Thanks for taking the time to speak with me. Have a good one!

EDIT: To make this at least a tiny bit on-topic, I would posit the numbers at 850k Splatoon 2, and 105k Switch.

Sandfox

This would be a 95%+ drop.

I expect that the gap won't be too far off for the 3DS and PS4 version of DQXI.

If it does, I predict a Media Create thread with 1000-1500 replies talking what's happening to the 3DS and the dreamy possibility of a Switch version selling much more than the two or something.

This weeks thread is already about to go past 1100 posts. The next few media create threads could be huge.

Fukuzatsu

I mean at least in JoJo's case it was well-deserved. The Japanese pricing for DLC characters remains absurd to this day (600 yen per single character), and the only way to unlock costumes or colours for the characters was to play an RNG-riddled online mode with mobile-esque stamina/energy meter and mictotransactions where all you fought were CPU, and they could be beaten easily by mashing grab.

The JoJo that was there was alright, but it's clear they learned their lesson for Eyes of Heaven. It's no masterpiece but they toned a lot of the more heinous parts down and added quite a bit.

I hope this is sarcasm, cuz in no way 300k people in japan cancel their Splatoon order for just that issue lol.

when you preorder a game you have one week to claim it

Anyway COMG DQ11 ranking:
PS4 - 735
3DS - 637

Splatoon 2 had 800 something iirc, 1000 on opening week

Amazon:
1- DQ11 PS4
2- DQ11 3DS
3- Splatoon 2

#makeith4ppen

Really? What was the reason for that one? I thought it was pretty well received.

I misspoke, I mean Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus on PS2 and looking back it had an 85% drop.

This would be a 95%+ drop.

I realize. I was trying to think of the previous worst.

I mean at least in JoJo's case it was well-deserved. The Japanese pricing for DLC characters remains absurd to this day (600 yen per single character), and the only way to unlock costumes or colours for the characters was to play an RNG-riddled online mode with mobile-esque stamina/energy meter and mictotransactions where all you fought were CPU, and they could be beaten easily by mashing grab.

The JoJo that was there was alright, but it's clear they learned their lesson for Eyes of Heaven. It's no masterpiece but they toned a lot of the more heinous parts down and added quite a bit.

JoJo seems to have gone from ~390k FW to 30k in its 2nd week.

I misspoke, I mean Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus on PS2 and looking back it had an 85% drop.

I realize. I was trying to think of the previous worst.

JoJo seems to have gone from ~390k FW to 30k in its 2nd week.

Dirge of Cerebus... there's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

when you preorder a game you have one week to claim it

Anyway COMG DQ11 ranking:
PS4 - 735
3DS - 637

Splatoon 2 had 800 something iirc, 1000 on opening week

Amazon:
1- DQ11 PS4
2- DQ11 3DS
3- Splatoon 2

#makeith4ppen

I think there is a pretty good chance that amazon ranking order plays out. Still pretty impressive that splatoon 2 is even in the conversation considering the relative size of its user base.

Shizuka

Why is Dragon Quest XI selling better for the PS4? We've had two, maybe three million-selling Dragon Quest titles for the 3DS, why is the first numbered sequel on the platform selling worse than remakes and spin-offs on the platform?

Why is Dragon Quest XI selling better for the PS4? We've had two, maybe three million-selling Dragon Quest titles for the 3DS, why is the first numbered sequel on the platform selling worse than remakes and spin-offs on the platform?

3ds is at the end of it's Life and they also announced a Switch version.

Well, it isn't. If DQXI does open with 1m on the 3DS, it will be close to the DQVII remake which opened with 870k, but that was over 4 years ago and the system is obviously in a very different place now. Not to mention the fact that it's a multiplatform release.

Even so, DQXI 3DS will likely outsell that game in its lifetime.

I think there are a lot of factors. The 3DS is nearing the end of its life span and despite ongoing sales I think the switch has taken a lot of the sting out of the tail of the 3DS. It's they biggest step up we've ever seen from one Nintendo console to the next (whilst the switch is the successor to the wii U it is also the successor to the 3DS). It's just a much more attractive product. We know a switch version of the DQXI is coming as well and I think that is likely to impact the 3DS version even if sales of the switch version don't show that.

There is also the fact that the 3DS version is an afterthought and being released alongside a version of the game that is graphically far superior. I know Japan prefers handhelds but surely that level of difference has some impact.

KtSlime

DQ11 hasn't sold any copies yet, it goes on sale this Saturday. Preorders seem to favor the PS4 version, but that can be for any number or reasons.

MoonFrog

The bolded is incorrect, though. Nirolak referred to the entire set of 90 games, and that's what I responded to: only one small piece of his overall argument.
Person goes to find stats not to compare them to stats of other consoles (which is what you are on about), they use a word which seems to suggest the sample is small. Why assume that is small relative to the size of other consoles' pools of 85+ metacritic score games?

There is no reason in the context to do that. Did you even read the conversation you are talking about? It does not seem so. The whole thing was about only the PS4 and how well a well-reviewed DQXI on PS4 would do. There was no "wow, PS4 doesn't have many of these games compared to console X." That isn't even implied.

Cue my ant analogy. Things can look small despite being big in class and calling them such isn't "wrong." It doesn't need to be corrected.

The frame of reference your whole issue is built on is something you introduced. It isn't germane to the conversation you are talking about.

Also--perhaps this'll help--the dodge you are repeating here from your earlier exchange with LordRaptor avoids even considering my point. I'm not denying that "only" was referring to all 90. I don't see why you'd think I was:

90 is the ant. It is the big-for-an-ant ant. It isn't a hell of a lot of games/expansions in the wider context of releases on PS4 (which is the subject area), though. And the subsection, which DQXI would be joining in that hypothetical is even smaller. So small, that no counter-example could be found!

This is a perfectly natural reading. Reading it as talking about these metacritic-85+ groups for all consoles comment is not a natural reading. That has nothing to do with the topic of the original discussion (again, this was Japanese releases on PS4, particularly those with 85+). It only has anything to do with your discussion with LordRaptor.

You're latching on to and trying to correct a fault that never existed. But whatever, you've moved on to discussing this metacritic thing and I don't seem to be able to get you to see my point despite ample repetition and animal analogies (!), so with this as my final attempt, I'll also move on. This is an awkward conversation and I just wanted to help but I'm parsing a third party's post (who posts here) too much for my own comfort at this point.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I know that you intended to focus on this comparison, and as I've previously said I mentioned nothing germane to this larger point. What I was responding to was your statement that there were "only 90" games with 85+ Metacritic scores. That isn't a subset, but the whole release slate. Nevertheless, the qualifier "only" seems to indicate a belief that 90 is smaller than expected. As I showed, it's much larger than expected.

That was in a wide context, but now let me go ahead and tailor it for the exact comparison you were making. If we check Metacritic only for console retail titles--not DLC or indies--and we also remove all remasters/remakes, how does the comparison stand? For the first 45 months of its life, Xbox 360 then has 46 titles rated 85+. The PS4 has 40.

So in fact, even in the comparison you propose, there's nothing very unusual or surprisingly low about PS4's amount of high-rated games. The restriction means it's no longer far and away the biggest list, or indeed first at all. But it's still in the top three, not far behind second place*. So your characterization really isn't justified even under the strict interpretation of your comparison.

*With these parameters, PS3 is now the high outlier, with 63 titles.
I think the PS3 is the key comparison here because the first year of the Xbox 360 was a split generation with the vastly-in-second-place system's successor coming out first.

If we had the same review trends as last generation, we would have had a lot more titles in that range.

I also do think adding in large numbers of indie games and remasters compared to the amount of downloadable titles in the first years of the 360 and PS3 (and the 360's games were still operating under the strict file and price limits those days) we would naturally expect the number of highly reviewed games to go way up, which is what my "only 90" would be about. People generally remaster the best reviewed games, and indie titles are often notably cheaper games targeted at a specific audience's wants, so they're going to skew higher in both categories.

crinale

I (or quite a few Japanese colleagues as well) was thinking that Nintendo was holding stock for Splatoon2 release. However by anecdotal evidence difficulty of finding Switch available thru last weekend didn't get any better, or actually it got worse.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I (or quite a few Japanese colleagues as well) was thinking that Nintendo was holding stock for Splatoon2 release. However by anecdotal evidence difficulty of finding Switch available thru last weekend didn't get any better, or actually it got worse.

These are not necessarily contradictory situations.

Ōkami

Shovel Knight is coming to PS4 and Vita this thursday, just announced out of the blue.

The game was published by Nintendo, so this is rather interesting.

MoonFrog

I wish Nintendo had given numbers today, but they'd probably not give Switch numbers, which is probably what concerns me more. (And their Splatoon numbers would be WW, no?)

Ultimately, DQ weighs more heavily on my mind because it is DQ, but Switch hardware is also something I really want to see hopefully (good) news on.

Also, Liabe Brave: there's why I shouldn't have posted :p. It fits what I was saying (it was about PS4 in particular and its library), but I'm not a mind-reader so I was being a moron anyway.

Ōkami;244409743 said:
Shovel Knight is coming to PS4 and Vita this thursday, just announced out of the blue.

I'm assuming Nintendo is no longer publishing it? :p Is Sony publishing this version, or someone else?

Fiendcode

Ōkami;244409743 said:

Not the first time something like this happened. Nintendo also published Rayman Legends in Japan as a Wii U exclusive and then Ubisoft published the Vita version the following year.

Also Nintendo only published the 3DS and Wii U versions. YCG selfpublished the Switch port in May.

Top Bottom