• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2012 (Jul 16 - Jul 22)

Pooya

segasammy q1

https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/2013_1q_hosoku0731_e_final.pdf
https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/2013_1q_tanshin_e_final.pdf

London 2012 PC/Ps3/360 510k.

《Consumer Business》

In the consumer business, “London 2012: The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games” and other titles were sold in the packaged game software field. However, a reduction of number of titles implemented as part of the structural reform policies announced on March 30, 2012 led to a year-on-year decline in total volume of packaged software sales to 1,340 copies, including 400 thousand copies in the U.S., 700 thousand copies in Europe, and 230 thousand copies in Japan.

On the other hand, performance remained favorable in the field of digital game software for mobile phones, smartphones, and PC downloading, and “Kingdom Conquest”, a title for smartphones, exceeded 3 million downloads on a cumulative basis as of June 2012. In addition, numerous other titles were launched, including “SAMURAI&DRAGONS”, “Sakatsuku Social World Stars”, and “Miku Flick”.

As a result, net sales in this segment were ¥15,095 million (a decrease of 6.9% for the same period in the previous fiscal year) and operating loss was ¥1,559 million (operating loss of ¥3,856 million for the same period in the previous fiscal year).

In the consumer business, we have decided to carry out streamlining of the organization responsible for the packaged game software field in the U.S. and European markets in a bid to establish a structure that can consistently generate profit, as part of the strategies to restore growth as well as improve profitability. In connection with this, we are closing bases primarily in Europe and reducing number of titles. Going forward, we will cut fixed costs through utilization of external distributors, and concentrate efforts on sales of strong titles that are expected to continue posting solid earnings, in order to improve our earning power.

In addition, SEGA CORPORATION established SEGA Networks, Ltd. on July 2, 2012 to bolster development of the digital game software field and shifting business structure with a view to adapting to changes in the business environment.

Furthermore, the “Phantasy Star Online 2”, the main title in the digital game software field for the current fiscal year, service was officially launched on July 4, 2012, and has been enjoying brisk sales.

Dalthien

3DS XL: 193.441

NSMB2: 430.185

Does this 3DS number include the standard version?

I was thinking about 500k for NSMB2. Throw in something for digital sales and it's pretty close to what I was expecting.

Awesome sales for XL though!

Does the NSMB 2 number include digital sales ?

I don't think we know yet whether or not it includes the EShop cards purchased in retail stores. But it definitely does not include digital sales purchased directly through EShop.

Road

Maybe the deadline must change to the time Famitsu will give early numbers at Monday or Tuesday. Predictions made after then will have the advantage to know first week sales.

As usual, anyone can change their predictions until tomorrow if they want.

Sort of.
The last cartridge for PcEngine came out a week before the PC-FX launch.
The last CD-rom for the "expansione" came out in 1997 (ironically the last PC-FX game came out just one year after).

Worldwide the better example would be Atari with the 7800 -> Jaguar "transition".
Last PCE SCD game was Dead of the Brain I & II in 1999. PCE actually outlived PCFX.

Nekki

I actually didn't expect those sales for LL (XL). Relaunch confirmed??? not that it really needed it in japan, let's hope the effect is as positive, if even scaled back a bit, for the rest of the world.

I actually didn't expect those sales for LL (XL). Relaunch confirmed??? not that it really needed it in japan, let's hope the effect is as positive, if even scaled back a bit, for the rest of the world.
well it has been so in the UK at least; without even aligning the launch with NSMB, the sales have been increased to 3 fold; however, the problem is that before relaunch it was bad enough that post relaunch still it is bad

well it has been so in the UK at least; without even aligning the launch with NSMB, the sales have been increased to 3 fold; however, the problem is that before relaunch it was bad enough that post relaunch still it is bad

I'd be interested to see what weekly sales are like for other platforms in the UK. My instinct is that everything is in the shitter at the moment, and 3DS isn't exceptional in the hardware figures it's pulling, but I could be wrong. That's not to say the UK isn't a problem for Nintendo, rather that it may not be an issue unique to Nintendo at the moment - the collapse of GAME and the state of the economy, among other factors, have really put the boot into the gaming sector here.

I'd be interested to see what weekly sales are like for other platforms in the UK. My instinct is that everything is in the shitter at the moment, and 3DS isn't exceptional in the hardware figures it's pulling, but I could be wrong. That's not to say the UK isn't a problem for Nintendo, rather that it may not be an issue unique to Nintendo at the moment - the collapse of GAME and the state of the economy, among other factors, have really put the boot into the gaming sector here.
I suspect this is the case. 3DS sales figures are terrible, no doubt, but I'd be very unsurprised if it handily outsold all the other consoles this week.

My town has gone from 2 Game stores on the high street to none at all. That has had an impact, to be certain.

well, other systems have been out for a generation; and even if they hadn't, the follow up to the second best selling console ever should be expected to perform as good as them combined to be considered not in decline

Mr Swine

Banned
I suspect this is the case. 3DS sales figures are terrible, no doubt, but I'd be very unsurprised if it handily outsold all the other consoles this week.

My town has gone from 2 Game stores on the high street to none at all. That has had an impact, to be certain.

Its not only in the UK, its starting to happen here in Sweden I think. In the city I'm studying at the GAME store closed down so there is only one that is decent at selling games

Nekki

Just in case, these famitsu reports are for the first two days on sale right??

Edit: saw it on the other thread.. yep, 2 days.

Nekki

Yeah it's going to fall very far behind.

Not that it really matters that much. THe success of the DS will never be replicated again by a dedicated handheld gaming device, sadly.

As long as it keeps profitability and a good market share, nintendo shouldn't have to worry too much. We see this happen in Japan, where nintendo's efforts are exemplary, but they should really focus on giving more traction to the western world.

Road

Predict how much these titles will sell in the 4 weeks (from July 30th to August 26th):

[WII] Dragon Quest X - 444,444
[3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 666,666
[3DS] Demon Training - 222,222

Deadline: August, 1st 09:00 am (EDT)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Releasing the game in the same time frame as animal crossing doesn't seem like a good idea. Oh Hino...

Turning it around though, Lite's sales when NSMB hit were significantly higher. And that's without a system launch backing it up.

I think NSMB is that little notch around week 76, it seems to have kept selling at the same rate on average, which it earlier established once the limited stock was resolved.

3dslaunch

donny2112

Turning it around though, Lite's sales when NSMB hit were whatever Nintendo shipped that week. And that's without a system launch backing it up.

Fixed. Don't look for trends in shortage constrained periods. When you sell what you ship, "spikes" just means a larger shipment that week.

Bruno MB

I wonder if Media Create has also added the sales of the download code cards of New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Oni Training.

I think that probably yes, though I imagine they must be quite negligible since they cost as much as the physical game. It would be nice to know the sales breakdown.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Vita under the Wii...and under 10k again, for Famitsu.
Ehi, Oni Training didn't that bad for being just 2 days, in the end.

Gradivus

Dragon Quest spinoff stayed still at 12,396. Nice to see that it can still stand out on its own (hopefully make it to the 1,000,000 mark later on).

Top Bottom